AuthorContent

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8483584

Hi! I have a friend here in MA that has a small fig tree he has successfully overwintered in a pot. It has broken dormancy and now has leaves and green stems growing. I know it is still to cold to leave it out overnight here but when the time comes can he put it out directly in to the south facing sun? or will he have to ease it into direct sunlight somewhat at a time? Can he put it in a southern sunny window now?
Thanks,
Martha
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8483627

When he moves it outside he'll need to adjust it gradually to the increased light level. The light indoors even if it's in a bright window is much less intense than the sun outside. Once the weather's warm enough, I'd move it outside into a shady location, then gradually introduce a little bit of sun and keep gradually increasing the amt of sun until it's spending the whole day in whatever location he wants it in.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8498835

I have two fig trees that I have been growing in 18 gallon containers for about two years. I only got a few figs off of one tree last year. This January I planted one in the ground. It is amazing how well the tree in ground is doing compared to the one still in a container. I plan on putting the other tree in the ground as soon as I can. I had been told that fig trees should be planted in the ground but I had to see it for myself.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8501373

Here is an article on growing fig trees in Kansas that is written by a friend. http://lawrencefruittreeproject.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/article-growing-figs-in-kansas.pdf

If you want to contact him his email address is on the http://lawrencefruittreeproject.wordpress.com/ web site.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8514955

Thanks!
Martha
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8577094

Great article on growing figs !!!

I just bought a Hardy Chicago fig from edible landscaping and plan to keep it in a pot.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America