Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soil and Composting: Lime?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 2, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8483912

When I started my vegetable garden in its present spot about 12 years ago, I had the soil tested. The test came back with recommendations of what to add and how much. I added lime, magnesium sulfate, 10-20-10 fertilizer, and I don't recall what else according to the test recommendation. I had a great garden that year and every year since, but it seems to me that it dropped off just a bit last year.

I add compost to the soil every year, and every spring I till in some 10-20-10 before planting anything. I haven't added any lime for 12 years though, and we've had lots of torrential rains since I did. I last had the soil tested 3 years ago and they said everything was perfect, don't mess with it. The soil pH was 6.8 at that time.

I'm thinking it's been 12 years and maybe tilling in 100 lbs. of lime along with the 10-20-10 would be good before I plant anything. My garden is 35' x 50' = 1750 square feet. What do you think?
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2011
1:34 AM

Post #8486712

Are the plants you grow there succeeding? Do they taste good?
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8488701

Are the plants you grow there succeeding? Do they taste good?
-------------------------

Sure. We depend a lot on what I grow in the garden. Besides what we eat fresh in season, we freeze and/or can tomatoes, peppers, okra, cabbage (kraut), beets, sweet corn, and lots of other stuff. We still have a few of last year's vegetables in the freezer, and it's time to use those up because I'll be harvesting more fairly soon.

I think I answered my own question. I did some reading, and found that it's not good to add fertilizer and lime to a garden at the same time - there's a reaction between them that's not good for soil chemistry. Since I have to fertilize before spring planting, I'll wait until fall to add lime.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America