Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: JACKFRUIT

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 3, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

April 9, 2011
10:49 PM

Post #8484260

Hi All,

A friend of mine has just been given one of these Jack Fruits and would like any Recipe's.

I would love to be able to give her some idea's, do you have any???

Many Thanks,
Degarotty
Australia...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8485666

I'll be interested to see what gets posted here. They have ginormous jackfruits at our international market. I often see two people lift them to put them in a basket. The price seems cheap but I've also been in the checkout line behind the Asian people buying them. They are not so cheap when they weigh twenty pounds and more. lol

I've made friends with an employee at the market. She is Chinese. I'll try to remember to ask her about the preparation. I thought it was a giant durian when I first saw it; a terrifying thought since the smell of durian is something I've not learned to appreciate. Like week old laundry left in the washing machine in August. There are fans of this odor. If ever a fruit could put hair on your chest...durian is the one.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

April 13, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8494182

Interesting reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit

I would have to do a LOT more research beyond that, however, before I had a clue what to "do" with it - doesn't sound too appealing.

LOL - here is an even BETTER read on Jackfruit!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3198/

This message was edited Apr 14, 2011 7:46 AM

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8615417

we had it made into ice cream in the philippines and it was delicious. I bet you could puree it and make it into bread. use it as other soft fruit like bananas in recipes!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America