Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: Cold Frames

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 4, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8484794

I have a couple of questions regarding planting in cold frames.

What's the difference between planing in a cold frame and winter sowing in jugs?

What is the stratification period for seeds requiring the cold periods?

Do the seeds actually need freezing temperatures or just 40 degrees?

If you were going to stratify inside your home do you need to place in freezer or will fridge do?
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8495350

Well, i may not be the best person to answer but i am sure i am better than no one. plus, i was born in FWA, so i have sympathies there!

Q. What's the difference between planing in a cold frame and winter sowing in jugs?
A. size, disposibility, hassle. cold frames probably have greater heat retention due to size. they probably stay moister in high winds. cold frames are not as easy to move around. cold frame require a purchase, or handy project (or a lucky trash-pick/inheritance). wintersowing requires picking through your own & your neighbors recycling bin.

Q. What is the stratification period for seeds requiring the cold periods?
A. What is the germination time for the seed? time to harvest? the point is: it depends on the seeds.

Q. Do the seeds actually need freezing temperatures or just 40 degrees?
A. see above

Q. If you were going to stratify inside your home do you need to place in freezer or will fridge do?
A. i am much too lazy for that. that is why i winter sow!

happy sowing!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8497294

LoL Thanks 6a!

I'm hooked on the wintersowing myself. I have a gazzion jugs out and I'm sure they have started to germinate. We have had several bright, sunny days of 60 - 70 degree weather.

I have a friend who wants to grow in a cold frame but wasn't able to put seeds out during the winter. We were trying to figure out how to get these seeds done yet this year. It seems that I read that strat seeds need at least 6 weeks of 40 degrees. I can't find that any where now. LoL Maybe it was just my imagination!
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8497512

many of the seeds that do well for wintersowing can probably go out directly sown now like lettuce & greens, peas, in particular. a cold frame would be useful now for tomatoes & peppers. i just WS'd my tomatoes about 10 days ago. you can still WS or use a cold frame now. a cold frame will have be more closely watched since i hear you are hitting 70 some days. i gauge it by how hot my car is in the sun--it's the same solar concept.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8497614

What zone are you in? My friend is in 5b. When do you sow your annuals?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America