Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SabrinaW
Peoria, AZ

April 10, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8485730

This is my very first time attempting to garden and I now have the feeling I'm not going to do well. I'm going to give it one more try though and if anyone can offer any advise to me I would be so happy.
I started with a Jiffy Professional Greenhouse and followed the instructions to the "T" with beautiful resulst in just a few days. But then after about 2 weeks I started to see small white fuzzy weblike groths. I removed the lid because the seedlings were starting to push it up and with in a week everything was DEAD (see picutre).
If there is anyone who can help me understand what I did wrong and what I can do to avoide this happening again that would be great. I'm going to restart a new tray today so, please, bring on the suggestions!

Thumbnail by SabrinaW
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2011
3:46 AM

Post #8486778

You needed to remove the lid after they first germinated then get them under lights. They stay to humid with the plastic on.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8486817

It helps to water with a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide. The website that explains this is

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html

I have had no damping off since I started using it for all watering, even the initial wetting of the soil. Also as book reader said, the cover comes off as soon as most cells show germination.

Try again, don't give up! There's lots of good info on these forums and many people are glad to help.

Pam
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8486829

I hate those Jiffy planters.
I also use the hydrogen peroxide, from the drug store, diluted about 1/2 cap full to a quart sprayer, you don't need much. I would also spray the cover with the diluted H2O2.

Dwight
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8494547

I run a fan ,from start to finish.ive heard people having trouble with those lil peat pots molding ??? Those jiffy houses are not cheap...I use cells an flats I bought at lowes,made seed starting mix with perlite and sphagnum peat,but i use lights,shop lights 1 warm bulb 1 cool .

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8529687

did you get it figured out ? Or restart anything?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8529688

go ck this thread out jiffy mini greenhouse,in the seed germination forum.i think all the info there will be very helpful to you.Tamara
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8533332

I use the Jiffy with no problems since I started using the peroxide/water mix. I agree that the lid stayed on too long. If some have sprouted and others haven't, you can take the sprouted ones out, and put them on a different tray under lights while you wait for the others. I also use the peroxide in my misting bottle.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8550171

Some of those sprouts look "leggy", suggesting not enough light. It's hard to get enough light! Fast-growing, vigorous plants are probably more resistant to fugus.

I would try to pull anything that has sprouted out of the humid, domed tray and move it to a tray with lots of light and air movement. Some people sprinkle grit or very coarse sand on the surface after sprouting, so it will be drier. A small fan or drying drafts may help.

Maybe the 'system' could use a little venting. The only purpose of high humidity (I think) is to reduce or eliminate the need for frequent watering to keep the soil surface damp. Peat pots should assure that without much help!

I've heard of people dusting with cinnamon powder, or watering with strong chammomille tea, to fight damping off and fungus. And hydrogen peroxide is well spoken of.

But "dry" fights fungus and mold getter than chemicals!

I would urge a faster-draining seedling mix, so that the surface tends to dry out. You may need to mist it or sprinkle it to keep the seeds damp until they sprout, or leave them inside the Humid Dome, but you don't want it any watter than needced for the seeds to sprout.

Seeds right on the surface are tricky: you can't let them dry out even breifly once they start germinationg. But if they are under 1/8th" of soil, peat or vermiculite, they can be moist enough while the surface is drier.

Until they sprout, it is a balancing act, and humid air keeps germinating seeds from drying and dieing. As soon as the sprut emerges, give it dry air and light! Oly roots need moisture, not the above-ground seedlings.

I may be crazy, but once the sprouts are up, I think that frequent misting 'washes' mold and fungus away ... as long as the surface is dry or almost dry most of the time.

Peat holds a lot of water forever, but "fine" pine bark fibers drain well. "Fine" pine bark mulch is much more coarse than peat moss. I screen it with 1/2" hardware cloth, and add some medium pine bark mulch, also screened. Plus grit and coarse perlite. This year was the first year my seedling cells drained fast enough, and I'm all excited by that.

Besides a drier surface, fast-draining mix provides good aeration for roots, which encourages them to grow deep and fast. If your peat pots are soggy, roots are impeded and growth may slow down enough for mold to overcome the plants.

Fast drainage lets me water from the top until water comes out the bottom. Then I can suck the excess water out of the trays so salts don't accumulate.

They say that bottom-watering is good for starting seeds, I guess because it keeps the surface drier.

Corey
HoyaGirl
Redmond, OR
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8628665

I personally have found that if the temp in the area i am starting seed is a little too cool i fight fungus,also giving them some air periodically is good too. i have had success with a mixture of cinnamon in a squirt bottle i put a teaspoon in a quart size spritzer and it did the trick.Hope things go well your next go round:)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America