I Want To Try This!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I saw these in a google search of "uses for plastic bottles". I thought they'd be cool to add to existing shrubs or trees in the backyard since no matter how pretty your blooms are, you realyl cant see them at night unless your garden is lit up like a football field.

The artist is Michelle Brand - who turns the five pointed bottoms of soda bottles into spectacular things like chandeliers, room dividers and window coverings. I thought it a clever idea and want to give it a try!

also want to try a small chandelier for my patio.

Thumbnail by cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

here is one of the chandeliers. can you believe this is made from plastic soda bottles???

its gorgeous! I cant wait to try one.

Thumbnail by cue_chik
Phoenix, AZ

So cool!

Bonita Springs, FL

Amazing! What a creative way to recycle.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks like a fun project.

Glendale, OH(Zone 6b)

They are beautiful - clear one look like lace. Did you post directions somewhere? Do you use those tiny Christmas lights?

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

borninnyc: I didn't see any directions, but if you go to her site and look closely at the pictures, you can tell how she did them. I think she sells them, so no directions as to how to make them. Looks pretty simple. It's collecting of the bottles that is the hard part. lol

ps: I was born in Buffalo - an excellent place to be FROM! (62 yrs ago)

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

I went to Google and typed in Michelle Brands name and came across a lot of information on her work. Would you belive that Neiman Marcus has or had the chandelier called Cascade Lancashire Chandelier for $12,000.00?. Michelle used 366 plastic bottles that she rescued from the landfill for this particular one that is for sale, it is 5 feet. long and 2 feet. in diameter. What a beauty.

mulege, Mexico

Beautiful stuff, Sue. Thanks for posting.

I got a book from Amazon on making things from plastic. Very good.

kb

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

katiebear: Good to see you posting. Hope all is well. I got one bottle tree made (the cheap thing from Collections). I've had to move it twice as it is really flimsy even though I've got it potted in cement. It's now up against the garage and wire runs from the top of the tree to a nail under the eves. So disappointed. Got the ash limb in concrete, need to drill holes for branches.

I can't find the cord to run the pic's off my camera into computer. I guess I'll have to try and order one. boy if it's not one thing, it's another!

P.S. I did not post the original, just about the lack of directions on making. You DGer's are so cleaver, you can do it!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The chandeliers look easy enough to replicate using bottle ends and fishing line. There are others on the internet that have made their own unique chandeliers using plastic bottles and given instructions on how to do so. Just google "Plastic Bottle Chandelier". You'll find quite a few of them !

I'm going to attempt to make a version similar to those that Michelle Brand makes... as soon as I collect enough bottles!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad I stumbled in here...Great forum !.... OMG check out these prices ! Heck no!
Great ideas for windows though, And at $350 per sq. foot to boot. Those look like the easiest to make.....
http://morewaystowastetime.blogspot.com/2008/03/cool-stuff-michelle-brand-eco-lighting.html

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Im tellin ya! the basic chandeliers dont look that difficult to make, and the curtains even easier. the issue is saving up enough bottle to do it!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I saw in the comments section that it is thought that she used a clothing tag ticker to join the parts together and evenly space the bottles. (That way she wouldn't have to poke holes in them and thread fishing line through and try to knot it with the even spacing)

In the background of the first picture, it looks like she did some light fixtures with the left-over tops of the bottles.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

not sure where you could get a tagger gun and tag holders.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Me either! They would make this job do-able, though.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

you could still do it if you arent a stickler for exact spacing. My plan is to use one long length of fishing line, string them on and use clear seed beads strung between - as not only a decorative touch, but as 'stops' to keep the 'flowers' from sliding on the string

unless I come up with an alternative

mulege, Mexico

I have a tagger thing that is called "Tag-It." I got it by mail, can't remember where. You might Google it. They are sometimes used by quilters to baste quilts.

kb

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I know we order those taggers for work and there is also a business supply catalog that I've received at work--big thing full of everything from pens to forklifts and clothing display racks. I'll try to remember the name of the company--I think it was ULine. That sounds right anyway:)

The tagger is called a swiftacher if I'm not mistaken. You can get packs of replacement needles for it and there are different types of plastic attachment pieces, shorter, longer, with hooks and without.

This message was edited May 14, 2011 6:02 PM

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

What a cool project, if you are patient, which I am not :-)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I could see those purple flowers on my lights on my wisteria. Did she just cut the bottom out? Did she paint it you think? You can find just about anything on Ebay,

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

How Neat! Could be a great recycle project for my 7th grade science class. I had just seen the lights at the Butterfly show in Cincinnati last week and was already thinking about the strings. They also used the tops of the bottles and "cut" petals around the opening. Some were painted - wish I had a picture of them.

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Ok - I tried something today. Daylilies from water bottles- here is the first attempt - may add some color.

Thumbnail by lilydaydreamer
Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Also made a candy dish from a 'Sunny D" plastic bottle.

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

For some reason, this picture will not upload turned the right way. Stil shows the bottom of the Sunny D candy dish (excuse the dirty gardener's hand)

Gonzales, LA(Zone 9a)

you can get those clothes tag things on ebay, forgot what they are called, but I did see them after I saw those curtains, they are beautiful but would take a lot of bottles to make one.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Your first picture, daylilies, could be daisies with a yellow cap from aerosol can in the middle. LOL!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

It is a lot of work but I still can't believe the prices of her stuff. I hate cutting the bottles. It kills me working on my winter sowing, cutting the water bottles like a pez dispenser. If I did it I would need a good place to keep the clutter out of our faces and better tools for quick and accurate cutting. I am not understanding the tagging thing. Is it to hang pieces of the chandelier together? Sounds like it would be easy but costly to hang all those pieces.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

How about using the gizmos for attaching buttons or basting quilts instead of a clothing tagger. JoAnn's sells them and they aren't very expensive.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

OOhhhhh! Good idea!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Have you made anymore projects?

Glendale, OH(Zone 6b)

thank all of you for your help and input - am going to try Google search, book from Amazon and see what I can find. Maybe I can have something to show come next summer. Just have 4 or 5 other projects going.!!!!! lololol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images