What's for dinner? (Part 11)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161995/

Around here, dinner for the next couple weeks is going to be "clean out the fridge, freezer and pantry" meals, so there will be less foodstuffs to move. (We are set to close on a new home on 4/21. It's only about 4 miles from our present home, which is both good and bad.)

Then for the 2-3 weeks following that, it's probably going to be "every person for himself/herself" while we paint and move and get the old house ready to sell or rent.

After THAT I should be able to stock the new pantry and the fridge and freezers, and start cooking again in earnest. Most likely we'll get moved too late to get in a garden this year, so I will be patronizing our local farmers' market for fresh produce a couple times a week.

What's everybody else fixing?

Columbus, OH

French onion soup. My husband loves soup when it's warm. Weird, weird weird.

But it's also yum, yum, yum :-)

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Tonight we're having friends over for a reprise of that fabulous smoked shad that we made two weeks ago for another couple. I've got the shad and roe defrosting as I type...

Missouri City, TX

Thanks for the new thread

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Congrat's on the new house Terri! And thank you for the new thread.

I made a pecan encrusted skirt steak for dinner yesterday so today will be leftovers plus some roasted mango & sweet potatoes. I may also roast some cauliflower.

Tam

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Very big congrats, Terry! A new home is such an exciting prospect. Biggest congratulations on getting the hub to move. "Home Inertia" overcomes some.

Our most recent guests exited this morning after an eleven day stay. I served nine dinners, eleven breakfasts and made fresh baby food daily. There's got to be something left in that fridge to eat. I'll settle for baby food at this point. I'm espying left over penne, chicken wings, sausage and meatballs in sauce. We have an orchid society meeting later on.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Yes, Terri---Congratulations! I hope you get the pantry space you always dreamed of....
We are not moving, but we should act as though we are, just to clean out as you are doing.
When you can, freeze, dry and buy the sales for only two people, foods just seem to clog up
before you know it. Yikes! Still, I am always out of something. How can that be?????

Tonight will be soup because we ate a big lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Oh, my. Didn't tap the food source at all.

Thanks all - we had chicken with black beans, sweet potato fries and pasta salad as side dishes. Poor DH got chicken with the black beans only on his low-carb regimen.

Terry, why did you decide to move, and does your new house have a pantry? I don't envy you all the work but it will feel great once you're established there!

We smoked the shad for our friends, and they too said it was the best shad they'd ever had. They are real aficionados so it was quite a compliment. This time there were no leftovers, either! We're going out to dinner tonight because we have to take our GD for an evening appointment out of town.

Columbus, OH

Oven-fried cajun chicken, corn on the cob, salad, and corn muffins.

Quote from greenhouse_gal :
Terry, why did you decide to move, and does your new house have a pantry? I don't envy you all the work but it will feel great once you're established there!...

The decision to move. Well, we've been in this house for almost 11 years. When we moved here, we were about two miles outside Murfreesboro proper, and it felt like we were "out in the country" because it was mostly open farmland around our little subdivision. In the years since, three schools have opened within a mile of us (our three kids were each part of the first class to open them, one after another.) And with the schools came subdivisions and apartment/townhome complexes, followed by gas stations, grocery stores and a strip shopping center, bank and pharmacy, all within easy walking distance. It's convenient to everything, but it's no longer the quiet place it once was. I walked outside the other night, and it's a lot harder to see the stars now than it used to be. The frogs are drowned out by the steady hum of traffic on the highway, which is much busier than it used to be when it was a two-lane highway, and not a 4-lane thoroughfare. Property tax-wise, the city is eyeballing our subdivision and a few other older ones for annexation. They offer almost nothing in return for what they will demand in taxes (don't get me started.)

Anyway, home prices and interest rates made it attractive for us to look at moving now, so after a lot of looking, and waiting a couple months for this property, we're now poised to move a little further, to a place with a little more land and privacy - it's pretty much surrounded by farmland, including emus right across the fence, horses across the road in front of the house, and free range chickens and sheep on the other side.

The area we're moving to may suffer the same fate and become more populated eventually - they're building a loop around Murfreesboro, and the new house is located near the loop, although there's not a direct connection to it. But Rutherford county is one of the very fastest growing counties in the U.S., although the housing crisis has slowed the rate of new home building, at least for now. We just keep getting more and more people moving in - not complaining, because in many ways, it's a great problem to have.

The new house has a smaller pantry than mine now (mine is oversized) but the pantry is more than adequate, and the tradeoff is the kitchen has FAR more storage and countertop for workspace, plus two sink/prep areas, and is more open, which will allow us to cook and entertain the way we'd like to be able to.

It also has a lot of other perks going for it. Once we've inked the deal, I may post some pics - I don't feel comfortable posting pictures of what is - for now - someone else's house :-)

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Terri - that sounds very exciting! When we bought this property we were delighted that the land preservation laws in place pretty much assures us of not getting over run with new development. My county is one of the best, if not the best, in PA for land conservation. There's a huge stir over an assisted living center being built about five mi from us. I figure that's a pretty nice addition - jobs w/o higher taxes from growth in schools etc. We have to drive 6-8mi for pretty much everything except in-season produce (during the summer & fall, there's a stand selling produce every other farm).

Tam

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Made taco salad last night and it wasn't the best. So today I cooked some cabbage I had in the freezer in 2 beef boullion cubes and added it to the leftover sauce meat and black beans making it a soup! Taste test showed it is way better this way than as the salad!

Wow! Great recycle, Ves.

The weather has gone from cooking to cooling. It's a good excuse to use a turkey leg and wing, gravy with lots of mushrooms and a variety of fresh veggies to make something over rice or gumbo/soup.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Maypop that sounds good also.

I liked what I made last night. DH was iffy. Will put the leftovers in the freezer for another day.

Today I am taking flour tortillas and making apple pies. Homemade apple sauce spiced like apple pie add a bit of flour and spread on tortilla and bake. Will be taking some of those to work with me. Hope I can cut them okay! Pizza cutter maybe?

I forgot the gravy mentioned above was caramelized onion, not mushroom. It was made with roux kept on hand. I canned assorted garden veggies last summer including okra, green beans and squashes labeled "Gumbo Starter". That gravy, the meat steamed off the turkey parts, celery, carrots, green pepper and the gravy made a great gumbo. We had it over rice.

We are spending as much time as possible finishing up work on the Spring garden while getting the Summer garden ready for planting. I'm just coming in. Dinners are pretty simple when we are in planting mode. We're having grilled spicy Italian sausages on buns topped with grilled onions and home canned pickle relish. Also home canned red beans. We've pretty much given up eating sweet Boston-style beans in favor of healthier spicy beans with herbs. I make all our beans from dry.

Laurel will you send me care packages of meals while we're moving? Or indefinitely?

Yummmm!

Has Shoe been talkin' 'bout care packages. lol

I don't know. And as much as I love my friend Horsehoe Griffith, he can fend for himself. Your dinner sounds delish!

Columbus, OH

I'm brining pork chops for tomorrow's dinner. I think I'm going to serve them with some cheddar and chive mashed yukon golds, and asparagus or green beans, and a salad.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It's been a while since I posted here.

here's what we ate last week

I made fiesta lime chicken wraps one night
spicy mexican rub on pork loin then shredded it for making tostados w/ blackbeans and guacamole another night

beef stroganoff one night

this week,
so far we've had

breaded turkey breast cutlets and mushroom gravy and steamed brussels and peach cobbler

tomorrow, I'm fixing chicken spectacular, a casserole type dish with chopped chicken, green beans, cream of celery soup, water chestnuts and a little mayo a couple other things, it's pretty good.

and pork loin with onions and apricot sauce and sweet potatoes.

so far that's the menu for this week. i should fix a salad one of those nights, but i'm tired and hate fixing salads, they take so long.

got some daves garden ladies coming over sat, going to make a soapilla cheesecake and some chocolate chip cookies fri night if I can stay up late enough to get it all done.

I'm looking for next week's menu, lol 3 nights of cooking is about all I can handle.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Asparagus, that reminds me I have about l l/2 pounds in the frig that I picked, we could have that too tomorrow.

that cheddar and chive mashed yukon gold taters sound fabulous

We could use Kathy Ann here during planting season! I love making schnitzel with turkey breasts. There is a big feature on sandwiches around the world in Saveur this past month. In Israel they make a pita wrapped turkey schnitzel piled with goodies. I am going to do that one. It doesn't mention this in the article but I've read Israel is the largest producer and consumer of turkey in the world. Who would have guessed?

I made a spread using ricotta and feta, herbs, lemon juice and zest last week. There is still lots left. I grabbed some already cooked and lightly sauced pasta left from a catering that I froze to bring up to Maypop. I've got a variety of fresh veggies and some mozzarella. It's looking like I can throw it all together and have baked penne and veggies with ricotta/feta filling and mozz.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have 4 fresh free-range (and butchered) chickens to fetch this Saturday, opening day of our Farmer's Market. I plan to use all the thighs to make the highly-touted chicken-feta-spinach sausage from Ruhlman's Charcuterie. I may even make my own feta to go in it if I feel better. I'm almost halfway through the round of meds for my bronchial pneumonia, and I'm thinking I may live after all. Sadly for any gardener in spring, the meds require staying out of the sunlight.

The following Saturday, an old friend from Bowie, MD (near DC) is coming for a short lunch visit en route from a Gatlinburg vacation back home. I plan a cheese plate, and hopefully my beef bresaola will be dry enough to slice. I found a great recipe for an American Neufchatel to make the cheese for a cheesecake to finish the repast. I've never made a cheesecake so it will be interesting.

Here's my latest cheese, a Lancashire, which is basically a mild, moist cheddar-type to be eaten young. I'm getting a bit better at making cheese; the one before this was a Welsh Caerphilly with thyme. To my pleasure, both are quite edible.

Thumbnail by darius

Kathy_Ann, your menu sounds extremely yummy too!

I suspect our dinner menu is going to be very hit-or-miss over the next several weeks - care packages are welcome *grin*

I am eager to get settled in and be able to start using the new kitchen for more than serving up slapdash fare, which is likely to be the case during the painting and moving nights :-)

Columbus, OH

Darius, I'm in awe of your cheesemaking skills.

Thanks, Celene... but they don't qualify as "skills" yet! I have so much to learn and chemistry is not my long suite.

Darius, I too am in awe. When I had a surplus of goat's milk I was content to make modest little rounds of cheese; I never tried anything with a name! I wish I could come to lunch sometime!

Ahhh, Leslie... one never knows when paths may cross!

Sure wish I had a farm close by for goat milk.

As long as they didn't keep a buck nearby....

LOL, you got that right!

Memories from years of bringing does to bucks for freshening - you could find the bucks in the dark, and sometimes we had to do that, since that was when our kids (the human kind) were young and we were still gainfully employed during the daylight hours!

Gosh, you threw me there. I was wondering for a moment what deer had to do with this conversation. Okay, I get it.

Darius, your cheese looks awesome! You've got a very lucky friend. Sure wish I could retire to Maypop and get some goats and chickens.

DH picked up some fresh broccoli raab from a farmer yesterday and I made Italian sausage with broccoli raab and garlic over penne pasta for dinner. It was really good. We've had scrambled eggs with dandelion recently too. Nice to have the spring greens in.

Columbus, OH

I wish I could develop a taste for dandelion, it's so healthy.

I have to work a long shift today, so we'll be having whatever DH brings home.

Celene, sautéed in olive oil with garlic and scrambled with eggs it's fine. Try it that way; you may be surprised!

Columbus, OH

Grilled asparagus, leeks sliced in half lengthwise, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, and red peppers in lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic and parsley served over greens with goat cheese. Steamed new potatoes with garlic chives and butter, grilled NY strip for the meat-eaters. I wanted to make naan but ran out of steam.

Last night was the first night of Passover. We were just returning from Maypop. I was acquiring SO's bad cold of this past week. We stayed home. I made the base for my matzo ball soup a few days before and made matzo balls when we came home. We used kale and herbs from our garden. It didn't cure me but it helped. I've got the "misables" for sure.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

SO made a hot smoked hickory salmon. I coached him through the preparation of charoset http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charoset which is necessary for the seder plate. I made sauteed fennel and cauliflower with garlic and Parmesan and dressed it in chopped fennel fronds. Along with the foods eaten as part of the seder meal we were stuffed. I limped off to bed at 10:30. After four days of heavy duty gardening at Maypop we are exhausted, sunburned and sore. Sick was not in the plan. I usually make a major lamb dish...usually a tagine. I'll probably do that later in the week when I'm feeling better.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.