-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8486924

I want raspberries. I know, I know, they don't do well in upstate (or any part of) SC. Still, I'm stubborn. I'm wondering if anyone has found any that will survive here.
Yes, I am quite experienced at banging my head against walls :)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8486947

I had to laugh at your comment...we can be a stubborn bunch can't we lol

found this link on line and thought you'd might want to see it:

http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Southern+Bababerry+Raspberry+Plant?category=265

apparently these plants were localize in southern CA and can take the heat...good luck!!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8487059

Thanks! I will go and look right now.
Yeah, the worst thing you can say to me is "you can't do that..."

Just makes me contrary:)

Went and looked. Okey-dokey, and we're off *G*...

This message was edited Apr 11, 2011 8:22 AM
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8487260

I see they don't ship until fall...but I may just order some too along with a few nut tree's (any have any almond tree's...if so curious how your success with them was)
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8487797

Hey red, my sister in law tried growing an almond tree a few years ago, but it didn't make it. I think there's an ornamental variety that will grow here - pretty spring flowers, but, alas, no almonds. Must check out your hot weather raspberry link. BTW, did your Clemson hardy BB survive last winter's wrath? Fingers and toes crossed :-)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8487964

no it did not survive..but I think that has more to do with who bought my house and didn't water it ...not her fault though...they did not understand that the 5 different soaker hoses I had running all thru the front had to have the main switch 'turned' so water went down 2 of the 5 hoses - water pressure would only do max 3 ties hoses there ...but I am doing working the Columbia show for my old boss at the Newberry garden center so I may just pick one up there :)
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8488484

Sorry about that, red. Such a lousy way to lose a plant. I bought 2 small BB's at the Florence flower show. They're labeled Callistemon Viminalis - Red Cluster. I was told they're very cold hardy. According to DG plantfiles info, it is indeed a very hardy bottlebrush. Still, I think I'm going to grow them in containers, so I can bring them inside if/when temps drop to the low teens next winter. There are some varieties from alpine regions in Australia that are said to be cold hardy in Vancouver, Canada's zone 8a climate. I know you're working the flower show next week, but I hope you have fun and return home with a great BB and other gems. Almost forgot - I also bought a beautiful hanging basket last Saturday - 'Amazon Sunset' Parrots Beak. Not cold hardy, but simply irresistable. I'm going to overwinter it in my mother's Fl room next winter. She tends to kill houseplants with love - aka way too much water. So, I'll take of the water situation :-)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8489591

Parrots Beaks are awesome!!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8489597

The more I research BB, the more confused I become. The cold hardy BB I bought at the Florence Flower show was Callistemon Laevis - not Red cluster - which , according to DG, is cold hardy below zero. Time will tell...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America