Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Do you have a favorite container plant?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 31, Views: 276
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin
Schenectady, NY

April 11, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8487654

There are a total of 124 votes:

I fill my containers with annuals.
(35 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Herbs are in my containers.
(11 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I keep tropical plants in my containers.
(32 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Fruits and veggies for me!
(5 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Everything I grow is in a container!
(15 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Something else? (Tell us!)
(26 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

April 11, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8487682

Had to vote "other" because I grow annuals, herbs, fruit and veg in containers; but I have a garden as well!
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

April 11, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8487899

Voted "Other". I have an olive tree growing in a container. I just love the personality of the tree... :-)
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8488152

I was other as well. I don't do a lot of containers, but do have a couple on my back deck. In one is a Harry Lauder, in another a fountain grass, usually petunias or something colorful in another, and dwarf conifers in a long skinny one built into the railing as a screen.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8488358

I use huge containers in nearly all my flowerbeds, as well as decorating around the house, patio and garages.Most of them are identical because I love the continuity it brings to the florascape.

I love to mix tropicals, annuals ,perennials, and herbs in some of the pots close to the tropical beds, then use single color plantings in other areas where I want to accent something-like the big pots of orange impatiens on the east side of the house. They really nicely accent the vibrant entry door, that somehow looks rather lonely in the winter, without her colorful sidekicks of the summer..
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8488642

Mostly annuals but some shrubs too.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8488813

Ive found I can only be successful growing fish geraniums in pots. Ive been unable to achieve the drainage they need elsewhere. I have Rose Glory Bower in a large pot because some on here have said they spread aggressively. I also grow amaryllis and kalanchoe in pots but the amaryllis will go in the ground eventually. I tried growing veggies in SWC's last year but had poor results so all veggies are in the square foot garden this year except potatoes which I am growing in baskets. I have angel wing begonias in hanging baskets on my front porch and matching permanent pots of snake plant, zebrina and a (green trailing plant with arrow-shaped leaves that I cant remember the name of) framing the window on the porch. I keep brugies in pots so I can lift them for the winter. I have wax begonias in pots as well as roses. I keep some things in pots and just move them around until I can find a place in my landscape that they like.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8489128

I do tomatoes on my deck in containers and all my other containers are basically annuals
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8489189

Voted other. Since I live in an area where some
bulbs have to be "lifted. I find it easier to do those
in containers rather than in the ground.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

April 12, 2011
2:56 AM

Post #8489305

said other have containers all over filled with different things for different areas and combinations
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8489745

I voted "other" as well because I grow everything that was listed, plus some perennials, in containers (also have regular flower beds.) I also grow various small Japanese Maples in pots. Like Sashagirl, I think it's fun to place various containers in and around my garden. Her idea of accenting her colorful entry door with a big pot of orange impatiens is one that I'm going to steal! Thanks!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8489962

I had a huge Angel wing begonia when I lived in KCMO. It traveled to Florida, Virginia, and back to Florida with me. The plant, pot, and everything fell out of the truck as I was changing apartments and that was the last I saw of it.
I had a guam boonie pepper about 5 feet tall in a washtub, but I didn't get it inside quick enough last year, and it was frosted real bad. I have another one sprouted right now that I plan to train as a standard. I hope to keep this one a lot longer.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8490606

Zinnas and other butterfly nectar plants, plus plants that are host plants for butterflies. Pansies for the Var. Fritilaries, Dill and parsley for the Black Swallowtail. Then Citrus trees for the Giant Swallowtails. Cabbage is a host for the whites.
Did I mention I garden for butterflies??

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8490990

I said something else. I do do annuals in containers, I have tropicals in containers, I have shrubs in containers and will have tophot dwarf blueberries when I can get to them. I will also so hedge roses in containers this summer. They are way too small to plant in the lawn; if I did that hubby would mow them down for sure. Hopefully by fall they will be a bit bigger and easier to see. Oh herbs in my containers as well.

Should have been an "all of the above"
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8491012

I think "other" usually equates to "all of the above." And I had to laugh about your husband mowing things down. I've been working on a mixed shrub border along our driveway for years and can't tell you how many have fallen to the weedwacker cord... When he's on a roll, there's no stopping him.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8491067

He doesn't do it on purpose It is ALWAYS accidental. Yeah my eye...
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8491155

A little of everything in containers, in the ground, raised beds. We had a large sweet boxer who had no understanding of gardens, she would walk through anything, short or tall. Lots of plants were put into pots while she was alive. Our Lab never stepped foot in the garden, she went around, plants in the dirt. Now we have a wiener dog, she goes anywhere just by walking under, raised beds keep her out. She also digs out moles in the yard, nice but watch out for holes.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8491396

Cece -- my family hails from Waukesha. Mom and her siblings were born there. Family names Golemgeske or Opsahl, I think there may still be some hanging around. I haven't been back there for years, although as a child we went fairly often. Fond memories, particularly of the sudden summer thunderstorms which were quite spectacular to me.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8491594

Oh cool. The names don't sound familiar but then we are pushing 70,000 residents now. When we moved here in 1966 from TX there was maybe 25, 30,000.

ANd not as friendly as it used to be, either. :(
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8491721

Wow. I remember it as a smallish place, although I'm guessing my great grandparents lived in a more rural area. I remember dirt yards and screened porches, Hispanic kids to play with (language was no barrier). This was back in the 50s/60s.

Here's a fun memory: Great grandma Golemgeske came to visit about when I was entering puberty. She bunked in my room and I think I slept on the floor or something. Great grandma was about 5 foot nothing and as wide as she was tall. I was facinated with the fact that her chest was flat and her breasts seemed to be tucked into the belt of her shirtwaist dress. I couldn't imagine what kind of bra she wore, so I would sneak peaks as she was undressing for bed to try to sort it all out, but she was very modest and I never did figure it out. Alas...time and gravity has clarified the mystery...

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
1:47 AM

Post #8492037

Not everything I grow is in containers, but I do have all of those things listed growing in them.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8492431

I make shell gardens with perennial succulents that crawl. I also fill window boxes with begonias.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8492484

"House" plants, which really is a collection of types. If it is outside it is either in the ground or going in the ground.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8492549

Buttoneer...love your shell containers
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8492575

sedum, other.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8492776

Actually, I'm an "all of the above." That is, I grow all of those things in containers and most in the ground too. The only plants exclusively grown in containers are my tropicals.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8493614

Thank you FlowaJen.
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8494207

Cece, I've seen pics of your containers, I agree. An "all of the above" is in order!

I'm a smaller-scale of the same idea: mix annuals, perennials. Other containers (fertilize flowers from water garden water changes, don't trust that with edibles) herbs, now trying leafy greens. Still facing North in apt bldg. At least i have a roof for now. :-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8495082

I don't know how or when, but I was transitioning toward containers more and more. As a trees hugger, I myself can't part with trees. Over the years trees grow, shade took over the sunny garden. So now, to balance them out. I grow sunny loving plants in containers that I can move them around in order to provide them the amount of sunshine they deserve.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 16, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8499577

I said other because I either end up killing what I put in them or nothing grows that I do plant. I have some great containers but I guess my thumb prefers the ground over a container.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8500791

I guess I really should have hit Other instead of Tropicals.

I actually grow about anything in Containers.
Tropicals, Perennials (especially Hosta), some Annuals and Water/Aquatic/Bog Plants.
We usually have 100+ containers going every Summer.
Hosta, especially the Miniatures, and Sedums love Pots and winter over in them quite well.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8501073

I have a strawberry pot full of chicks & hens that my mom gave to me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America