My Bed of Tulips Season III - I keep trying...

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Over the last 3 years I've documented my attempts to have a nice, large bed of tulips in my garden:

Season I - the bulb company send the wrong tulips (they looked great, but not what I wanted/ordered)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/921976/

Season II - I got the right bulbs, but the blooms didn't seem to last very long
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1050210/

Season III - I decided I'd try a bed of mixed colors for 'something different'. I chose all Mayflowering Darwin varieties:

"Pink Impression" (100)
"Cum Laude" (100)
"Renown" (100)
"Sky High" (100)
"Queen of the Night" (100)
"Maureen" (250)
"Mrs. John Scheepers" (250)

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

April 8 - an overnight rain brought lots of growth! Once again, my boxwood hedge seems to have suffered over the winter.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The "Pink Impression" and "Cum Laude" varieties seem to be a little earlier than the other colors - I hope they last long enough for all the colors to be open at the same time.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks for sharing the photos. Lovely tulips!

Dawn

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

I look forward to your tulip beds each year. The work you put into it amazes me. They are just lovely. :)

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the kind words! This is a bed of "Mrs. John Scheepers" - they were in the long bed by the street last year.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Your tulip bed looks wonderful. I don't know how you have the energy to dig up and replant all those tulips each year. I planted mine and they will be staying in ground and hopefully I will get returm as I planted deep.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Your display of Mrs. John Scheepers is better than many municipal plantings.

I was interested in your comments about Van Bourgondien in your attached thread. I have done some limited business with this supplier. I think they treated you right in replacing $300 worth of bulbs. They know a serious grower when they find one.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Over the last 15-20 years I've probably spent more than $20,000 with VanBourgondien (not all for my own yard - I've also planned and planted bulbs for a couple of my friends and my daughter and son-in-law). I've always found them to be very fair and helpful. The mis-marked bulbs I received in 2009 were the only problem I've had with them, and to be honest, I think it was a problem at the grower's field - when they harvested, I think they just went into the wrong bin and got labeled wrong. Companies like VanBourgondien don't grow all of their own bulbs. They rely on various farmers to supply part of their crop. The bulbs were healthy and the bed of white tulips was gorgeous, just not what I'd wanted/ordered.

Here's how the "Mrs. John Scheepers" bed looks today.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Here's the look today - the "Queen of the Night" (deep purple - almost black) variety is starting to open.

I just LOVE that mixed bed. Fantastic look. Plus you have such a lovely setting for them.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Leawood,

your 2011 garden is just beautiful!

and you got a pretty good return on your Mrs. Scheepers from last year too!

Keep us posted! t.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

April 18 - the "Pink Impression" have faded, but the other colors are coming out.

I think its gorgeous. That house accross the street sure has a great view :-))

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Yeah, the view from their kitchen is perfect. Now if I could only figure out a way to charge...

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

That traffic island is begging for some of the Tulips.

Wonder if the city would let you put some there.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

LOL - The island is maintained by the Homes Association and they don't allow residents to 'alter' their design. We're having a nice, cool, misty day - perfect for bulbs. Here's how they look today.

That looks so beautiful. I really like all the many colors mixed together like that myself.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Easter Sunday - the cool, wet weather has prolonged the life of the tulips in my yard.

What a beautiful display. Perfect for easter. So lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images