Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 12, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8489741

Ugh!!! I'm having a terrible algae bloom right now. I've put Pondcare Algaefix in and am waiting for it to work. Hopefully when the algae dies, I can vac it from the bottom of the pond. Can't even see my poor fish. Bummer.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8489865

Its that time of year. It will get better!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8489898

It is that time of year. It should cycle through. Do you have a uv light?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8490024

UV lights are the best thing ever invented for ponds. I no longer get green water, and my fish are healthier too...
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 12, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8490070

Yes, I have a uv light and I put in a new bulb about 2 weeks ago. Still got the algae bloom. It's very frustrating.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8490259

Hey, I would love to be at the algae bloom stage right now. lol My falls are running and I am getting some white foam. That surprises me as I thought that developed with there was a lot of, well, growing, going on in the pond. Or rather breakdown of stuff. I know it can happen if you overfeed and the uneaten food is breaking down. I can see algae on the rocks where the sun hits it below the water line but that is growth not breakdown. I have added bacteria that will function in low temps but even it needs at least 45F to function.
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 12, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8490304

To make matters worse, the pump's fountainhead popped off and sank to the murky bottom. I haven't been able to locate it and fish it out with my net. Can't see it. Can't find it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8490361

mstella - could be disolved oxygen content, which happens sometimes. A good indication are the bubbles. Call your lady at Microbelift and run it by her.

Pondlove - your pond needs to cycle and will get beyond the green phase. This is normal in a new pond.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8490724

Carolyn, I don't understand 'dissolved oxygen content?" I thought it was good to have oxygen in the water. Could you explain?
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 12, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8490865

Carolyn, Thanks for the advice, but the pond is at least 5 years old. I had this problem last year, too. I'm determined to have clear water this season so it's war against murky, green water.
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8490936

We have been struggling with a blue-green algae problem in our aquarium and we found this interesting site about nutrient ratios and their effect of algae. http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquarium/redfield_eng.htm It's meant for aquariums but the ideas are applicable to ponds also.

The hardest part of getting our ratio back into the right range was buying the phosphate test kit and the potassium nitrate to balance the ratio. It turned out our phosphate was super high and our nitrates were really low. We're still trying to figure out where all the phosphorus came from.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8491213

ms -

Disolved Oxygen Content is not the same thing as oxygen in your water. I had the problem only once...

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/faq/dissolved-oxygen/

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

April 13, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8492636

When I get foam it's usually accompanied by a lot bow-chicka-wow-wow However it can also be "DOC'S" Dissolved organic compounds - this happens a lot when the pond is coming out of dormancy and there is build up of leaves and organic matter from the winter.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8492675

Fish Knees, what the heck is 'bow-chika-wow-wow? lol. The foam is dying down. It was actually 40F in the deep end about 3/4 of the way down yesterday. Clear skies, air temp not terribly warm, around 42F. Today is also clear so I am hoping that the remaining ice cap will be gone. Oh, it refreezes at night as it gets down to below 30F but that skim melts pretty fast. Can't remember. Did I say that I spotted one of my gold fish two days ago. Hiding by one of my lily pots. I moved them to the shallows to take advantage of warmer water but might have been a mistake as the fish like to hide by them. They are too shy to come out into an open pond right now.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8492680

We only had the issue once - the persistent foam in the water was the tip off...
realsis

June 19, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8640059

be careful with using products like algaefix, because they really cut down on the oxygen content of the water and have been responsiable for numerous fish kills! alage is a tough one , i used to have to litterly scoop the stuff off the top of my pond! i have a 2250 gallon koi pond. i finally caught a break and learned i can cut the alage growth down by 90 percent! here is how i did it. i built a pergula over the top of my koi pond! it has a lattuce roof. the pond is mostly shaded now and ive not had to scoop ANY alage off the top of the water! my koi love it! they still get filtered sun through the lattuce but it stops that dreaded alage bomb! i live in a very HOT area with lots of sun zone 9a. so the key is the alage feeds off the sun so build the shade structure over the pond and you will no longer be battling the alage like you are! also the pergulas are very beautiful and can be built in a weekend! this is what i recomend!

Thumbnail by realsis
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America