-
AuthorContent
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8490651

In another thread, we were discussing planters made specifically for succulents. I'll post some of mine if you'll post some of yours!
If you see one you like, please take a picture and post it so we can all benefit and get new inspiration!

This is one I made last year for a friend's birthday after she saw a similar commercial "cluster pot" and fell in love with it.

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8490674

This is a hanging planter I made for the same friend. The other side is completely covered by the plant!

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8491058

Well, I didn't exactly make this one SPECIFICALLY for succulents... but they look pretty darn happy to be in there!

Thumbnail by Plants4myPots

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8491061

Here's a better picture of the actual pot when I had some pink blush aloe living in it...

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8491150

Ooooh---I love that kind of free-form organic shape. And the glaze is beautiful, especially with that great texture! VERY nice!
Is the turquoise glaze one you mixed, by any chance? I'm looking for a good turquoise; the one I used to like is turning out crappy these days. One of the ingredients must have changed. It's icky at school, too, unfortunately.

Oh, and P.S., lovely collection of succulents in there as well!

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011 4:01 PM
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

April 12, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8491688

I really love those kinds of "cluster" pots. I think I'll draw up a rough sketch of something I could do. Knowing me though, I go big. So I'll have to scale it down to appease my classmates. I could see something partly slab and partly wheel. I agree, plants4mypots, that really is a very nice collection. I hope to have enough variety one day to fill a pot so beautifully. What is that one in the back of your second picture that's wavy and upright and light colored with little peaks? I'm gonna walk into class Friday with so many ideas, my teacher will think I've caught some kind of disease. That turquoise defines the diamond shape great.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8492433

Free forms are a lot more fun to make, especially if you don't have too many hard and fast ideas about what you want your final piece to look like! That pot was actually thrown on the wheel and slab/handbuilt. I basically just threw a large round pot, but when I made my pilot hole, I went all the way to the head of the wheel and just threw the walls of the pot. No bottom. It was about 6" tall and had vertical walls

Then, after it stiffened up enough so it wasn't sopping wet anymore, I used some goofy stamps I had made to press the textures into it. Next cut it off the bat and warped the walls of the pot into an oval. Then rolled out a slab for the base, and cut out an oval that was a little bit smaller than the oval of the walls. Then draped the slab base over a piece of round foam or bunched up newspaper to make the pot have two "feet" to stand on, and picked up the walls of the pot, and attached it to the base.

I made these a couple of years ago when I was at the end of my junior year of college, because I had just moved into my own apartment after living in a boarding house for two years, and I really wanted to try having houseplants. Since I was a ceramics major, I was certainly going to be making my own pots!

Imapigeon, that turquoise probably is a glaze I mixed myself, I just can't remember what it is off the top of my head, since it was almost four years ago I made that pot. I might have my "glaze map" in one of my notebooks, but all that stuff is in a box under my bed, and I'm not home right now to go digging. But I am fairly certain it is a cone 6 glaze. What kind of turquoise are you looking for? I know I have a few recipes and test tiles of other turquoises I've made. I'm guessing you want a transparent glossy? I also have a semi-transparent semi-matte as well.

IlovemyTiger, it's taken me about a year to get all the succulents in my collection. I usually only buy two or three little $3 plants at a time, because the places where I like to get them get shipments of different plants throughout the year. Most of the time, they'll have lots of a few different kinds at any given time. So I just try to make sure that I only buy ones that don't look too much like stuff I already have, which helps keep my spending down, anyway. Besides, the plants do grow - so I get really excited when repotting time comes around.

Oh, and here's a link to the Plantfile for the cactus you asked about, I got that one at Walmart for $10 sometime last year.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/165632/

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8493030

Turquoise...ANY C6 or C10 turquoise, please! We were using Pete's, but that's the one that has stopped coming out nice. I have Viveka Heino's Lithium Blue (that she gave me personally---there's one I treasure!) which has a wide firing range. But it's matte and fairly opaque----great on smooth surfaces, but not so hot on texture.
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

April 14, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8494782

Could I get that recipe too? lol. I use Cone 6 as well.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8504038

Sorry about not responding too fast with the glaze recipes. There's no computer at the studio where I have my recipes and tiles, and I been forgetting to write them down to bring home so I can post pics to go with the following recipes. So, I stopped over at the studio on my lunch break to copy the recipes, and hopefully I'll get around to posting the pictures of my test tiles when I get to my home computer with my camera.

I'd call both of these glazes "Perfectly Clean Swimming Pool Green", but one is a glossy glaze with some rutile sparkle, and the other is a semi-matte glaze. Both are food safe, and fire to cone 6. We have two different kilns on our studio. One is a 26" Olympic round, and the other is a 20" Skutt. In the Olympic, I program to fire to 2145 degrees, and the Skutt usually only needs to go to 2125 for the same bend results from the witness cone packs. But you definitely should test your own tiles in your own kilns to see if you like these glazes.

They both definitely look their best on white clays for the "cleanest" results.

TURQUOISE: "Perfectly Clean Swimming Pool Green"
GLOSSY translucent glaze with RUTILE sparkle
Frit 3134 26
Custer Feldspar 22
Talc 5
Whiting 4
EPK 17
Silica 26
ADD
Copper Carb 2
Rutile 4

TURQUOISE: "Perfectly Clean Swimming Pool Green"
SEMI-MATTE glaze, semi-transparent depending on application thickness
Frit 3195 20
Wollastonite 29
Neph Sye 4
EPK 30
Silica 17
ADD
Zinc 4
Copper Carb 5

Good luck!

Promise I'll try harder to remember to post the pictures of my test tiles!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8504389

Thanks so much---can't wait to try them!
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

April 18, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8504901

Thanks!!!
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8505801

OK! I'm home and in front of the computer! Here's some pix of test tiles.

This one is the GLOSSY Swimming Pool Green...

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8505805

This one is the Semi-matte. I'm fairly certain both test tiles were made using Laguna B-Mix clay.

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8505816

BTW, both of these glazes are really reliable, and I have never had a problem with them "running" off a pot when used by themselves, even when applied thick. I can't guarantee how they might react when layered with other glazes in your collection, though...

This message was edited Apr 19, 2011 7:03 AM
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8506179

YUM----they're both beautiful! I'm working on glazing a bunch of stuff, so if I have the ingredients, I may mix up some of each today!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8541386

Got my first fired test of the matte version of Swimming Pool Green out yesterday, and I love it! Will post a photo later. THANKS for sharing----nice glaze!
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8547282

Cool! Can't wait to see you use it on something!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8555175

Here is the test planter with the matte version on the outside. I really like the color and texture!

Thumbnail by imapigeon

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8555178

Here's a closeup

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8557213

WOW! You did a great job with that glaze! I haven't seen it behave quite in that way before, and it makes me ask all kinds of questions!

Is that it all by itself?
How thick did you apply it?
With the amount of crystallization you got, did you measure everything PERFECTLY, or did you maybe add a little extra zinc? (Zinc is an opacifier and is also used in crystalline glazes...)
Did you have any hold times during your firing?
Do you know exactly what temperature the kiln got to?

I'm gonna have to revisit that glaze again and see what else I can get it to do! If you're into doing a little testing yourself, Imapigeon, those base glazes came out of one of the ^6 glaze books - either Masterson's or Bailey's. I can't remember which at the moment, but you can start trying to create your own colors by just changing the ingredients under the ADD line. But if you like that texture, I would suggest your further testing also include the zinc. You might get some really cool results with cobalt, manganese, iron or other oxides, or even some crazy technicolor ones if you add Mason Stains. When using the oxides, you probably won't have to go over 9% to get a full saturation of color (especially not cobalt! that's powerful stuff!) - but when using the Mason (or other) stains, you might have to go as high as 20% to get some vivid hues. Some stains might not work at all, though - because certain colors don't like zinc...

I'm fairly certain the recipes came out of Masterson's book, but both are really well written, and can give you lots of great advice on how to do different kinds of line and triaxle blend testing!

Please keep me updated! And Happy Glazing!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8557758

- Yes, that's the matte all by itself.
- I glaze kinda thin, especially with new glazes on the outside of vertical pots. Plus I only made 500g so I didn't have a whole lot to play with.
- Since this was fired in the school's kiln I don't know the specifics, but they fire to ^5 and I doubt the programmed cycle has any hold times in it.
- I measured everything with a gram scale very carefully---no extras.

The second piece I put it on didn't come out as nice. It's a larger bowl and I put the transparent on the inside and the matte outside. The outside is reallly thin, so I may reglaze it.

I love the colors of both of these, and will definitely be making larger batches and trying over different clays. My (recycled) clay body always has a fair amount of iron in it, which I think may have impacted the results. There are always so many variables!!!
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8558797

Ain't that the way with reclaim? I've got three different shades right now that I'm using to throw some hanging planters. I call 'em "Mostly B", "Light Buff", and "Dark Buff". Since I've only got enough of each to make three or four planters out of each batch of clay, I'm going to pick three or four of my favorite glaze combos and glaze one planter from each batch out of each color - just to see what happens!

The only problem is, if something awesome happens, I might not be able to ever reproduce the effect!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8558848

I hear ya...LOL!
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

May 16, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8568165

I didn't make it for him... but here he is!!!

He's already grown more than a half an inch since I put him in it, I think he feels the love.

Thumbnail by IlovemyTiger

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8568306

That pot's a PERFECT shape and color for him! He looks like a prickly kiwi sundae!
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8570518

So cute! Bet he can't wait to fill up that pot!
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

May 18, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8573044

ima, your test pot is spectacular! I'd be drooling all over the pot if it were in my stash. I love turquoise - and that it one of the prettiest I've ever seen.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8573062

I've gotten the 2nd test bowl out, and I didn't get the glaze thick enough on the outside. On the inside I used the transparent, and it's beautiful, too. Both are just lovely glazes, and I really appreciate that Plants4MyPots was willing to share the recipes!!!!
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8656419

New succulent planters!

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8656423

...and another one

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8656426

This is more of a cactus-y plant, and I made this one a couple years ago...

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8656428

More of the cactus-y plant... in another planter I made last year.

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8656439

...and here's a happy spider plant with some cactus on the side for good measure.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 7:58 PM

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8656870

Ooooooh---I really like that carved bowl in the swimming pool green. They're all lovely, but that one's my fave!!!
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8657467

I really like the one just before the spider plant.

I finished a carved garden pot last night and got started on two more.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8659318

Thanks! Been going gangbusters on making new planters and little garden accessories, because I've started participating in the First Friday Art in the Park market for local artists. Plus, I get to keep all the stuff I deem "unsuitable" for sale!

BTW, I can't take credit for "carving" those pots... they're actually "stamped" using an assortment of doilies to create the texture. At the production rate I'm trying to keep up, and the prices I'm trying to keep down, I can't hand carve them all.

Ima and Zen, I'd love to see some of your new pots!
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 28, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8659388

My new pots are still in the green ware stage. I need to go sign up for a kiln to fire them when they are dry.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8659845

Me too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America