Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: Making Edible Arrangements

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 13, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8491382

I'm hosting a garden party in June and I'm interested in making "pretty food arrangements" or doing something creative with simple foods. I'll be serving most fruit and veggies. I was wondering if anyone had done anything creative with them to make them "exotic" or look like bouquets.

I've seen some fruit arrangements online that look like floral arrangements, except they're made of fruit, not flowers, such as here:

http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/make-a-fruit-bouquet/Detail.aspx

For a family reunion in July one year, I made a watermelon boat. You take an oblong watermelon and cut it in half using a zig zag cut instead of a straight cut. You scoop out the watermelon using a melon baller. You do the same thing with a cantaloupe. Then refill the watermelon shell with the melon balls. It was a big hit at the reunion. Of course you can add other fruits as well, like in this boat:

http://linas-mediterranean-kitchen.com/Watermelon_Boat.html

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks for making fruit or veggie bouquets or anything else easy and interesting. I'm not too crafty when it comes to food, but I'd really like to do some unusual centerpieces for the table. If you've done something unique, please share your "recipe", tips and tricks as well as pictures if you have any.

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to some of your creativity.

NancyAnn
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8522721

Nancy Ann, some of the eaisiest ways to make the arrangments is use only very fresh fruit, bananas dipped in chocolate, strawberries, and if you want to do a little extra work, using a ripe pineapple, cut it into rings,about 1/2 inch thick, do not core, and use sharp edged cookie cutters,(mine are copper) and use bbq bamboo skewers for the stems. Also you can use apples the same way, just dip the fresh cut apples into lemon water(1 cup water to 3 tbs lemon juice. The best "tool" is your imagination.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8522840

Hi Annabelle, I'm afraid I'm not too imaginative. I need pictures to copy. I'm terrible with floral arrangements and landscape design too, altho I love growing plants and my whole yard is a garden. My design skills are few so plants just happen to go in any gaps I have. I'm afraid the edible arrangements fall into the same category as floral design.

Thanks for the tips. I'm glad you gave the recipe for the lemon water. I need that. Do you have any pictures of some edible arrangements you've made? I'd love to see some!

Ahhhhh, chocolate covered strawberries! If I make those, they may not make it to the arrangement. LOL
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8523530

Do a search for Edible bokays on line. there are many sites that show pictures, any fruit can be covered with chocolate, using both white and milk and dark chocolate.( you can fine the chocolate in the baking department at the grocery store) Once you get into doing the bokays you will be hooked. I started a monster in my family, now I am expected to make one every time we get together...
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8523835

I did do a search before I started this thread. But so many looked the same. I was looking for something different and thought people here might have done something unique, maybe even mixing in edible garden flowers as well.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
3:17 AM

Post #8525605

Butterfly, go to www. eHow.com. they carry instructions for edible bokays,
I use a daisy, leaf, star, heart , and cutters that fit the occasion for my arrangements.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8529153

Here is an idea. Buy a fresh pineapple and cut a slice from the bottom but not through to the middle. Just enough to make it stand level on the table. Cut the top off about 1/5 of the way down and save it so you can use it as the lid. Hollow out the pineapple and cut it in chunks. Mix creme cheese and marshmallow creme together. Grind a few ( to taste) coconut macaroon cookies and add to the mixture. Mix well and pour into the hollowed out pineapple. Use as a dip for fresh fruit.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8529334

Oh, Cheryl, that sounds delicious and beautiful! What a great idea! I love it! Do I mix equal amounts of the creme cheese and the marshmallow creme?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8529579

Depends on how sweet you want it. More marshmallow creme foe sweeter dip.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8529697

Oh, ok. Thanks!
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8529891

That is going to our family dinner tonight, the grandkids will love it.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8529980

Can you take a picture? I'd love to see the finished product.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8531856

Sorry I went to work and when I got to the dinner it was pretty much distroyed, the kids even ate the pineapple, guess it was a hit. I'll take picture of the next one
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8534815

Glad they liked it. We had it for our Lua and it ws a big hit.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America