Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Crinum lilies in the Washington area

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8492183

Has anyone grown Crinum lilies beside me ? What was you experience ? I planted one 10years ago in a planter alongside of my house , I also planted one in Cambridge and they have really thrived. I think that they do better in partial shade, they do not get dehydrated as much. In the winter the foliage get completely frozen and I have to cut them, They come back very nicely as soon as the weather breaks , they are already about a foot tall. My Crinum bloom for about two months so long as I keep it well watered. I am ready to plant three more, I got those at Sam's club I think that they got those by accident, another experiment for me...They were mixed with what is called St Joseph lilies which are southern ammarilys another plant experiment ...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8504424

Do you recall the name of the one you grow? There are a gazillion listed in PlantFiles. I didn't realize any was hardy here! But I love the idea of anything that will bloom where it is a bit shady...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8507282

I haven't grown them before but I just received one from another DG member. It is a Queen Emma Crinum.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8512844

The Queen Emma Crinum is beautiful, but it doesn't look to be hardy here. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90355/

Holly, are you taking it indoor in the winter?

It sounds as if OrchidFancy is leaving hers (his?) outside in the winter with great success -- and in partial shade, no less!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8512870

Mine will have to come inside this fall. I have a soft spot for tropical plants but I sure don't live in a tropical area. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8525133

I had some Crinnum Lilies eons ago...Can't remember when--it was before I joined DG.
SOO! Long--long ago...

I got them from somewhere--and I babied them--planted them---
and hoped for blooms from them--forever...Seems it never happened...
Perhaps my gardning techniques were not right...

Gave up--and????? Don't remember what i did with them?????
Maybe dug up and gave them away???? Maybe just got rid of them?????

Odd as it is...Since I had NO luck with then once--I have NO desire to try them again...

Gita
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9408927

I have two crinum lily , one in College park and one in Cambridge on the Eastern shore. Both are doing very well . They are both planted in a raised bed, one against a fence , the other against my sun room wall. They are huge and I like to divide them in the spring , they get frozen every year and they come back in the spring after I cut all the mushy leaves away. I like to move them in the back yard in semi shade somewhere but where I am not sure . They do need a lots of water and do not do well in full sun they burn..
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9408948

Do crinum lily usually grow in your area? Or are they a borderline plant? If they are borderline you might move them out of a micro-clime that is protecting them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America