Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What is clipping the buds of my poppies???

Oak Park, IL

Hi there poppy-lovers! I had a problem with my oriental poppies last year and am hoping to prevent it this year: One day I was delighted to see several fat buds on my "Royal Wedding" poppies. I went inside for just a couple of minutes and returned to discover that something had clipped off a bud! Was it a squirrel? A bird? I don't know! I doubt it was a bug, but could it be a bug? (It wasn't a human - my garden gates are locked.) Eventually all of the buds got clipped. Wah.

More than knowing what clipped them, I want to know how I can prevent this from happening again.

Any ideas?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Squirrels is my guess.Deer dont eat fuzzy plants.

Oak Park, IL

Any suggestions to prevent future clipping - be it squirrels or no? If I recall correctly, one of the many buds that was clipped had only a bit chewed out of it - the rest of the buds just lay on the ground. None were spirited away.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Still sounds like those wastefull squirrls. I use Repellsall.

Oak Park, IL

I've heard mixed things about the effectiveness of repels all. But thanks for your response and diagnosis. Since the culprits seem to love the buds, I'm going to try draping them with floating row cover for the few days they take to go from bud to bloom.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have seen squirrels take tulip buds as well.Just clip off all and leave some partially eaten.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.