Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Yes, Joyce, there is a Money Tree (Pachira): Pistache arbuste

Communities > Forums > Article: Yes, Joyce, there is a Money Tree (Pachira)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Yes, Joyce, there is a Money Tree (Pachira)Replies: 10, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 15, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8497421

I happen to grow this tree in my garden, just wanted to add that it belongs to the Bombacaeae family (baobab trees) and has been called Bombacopsis glabra for many years and may still be found under this name in some books. On Reunion Island we call it 'pistache arbuste' or 'pistache en l'air', pistache in creole means peanuts, which the seeds of P.aquatica somewhat look like but they taste more like hazelnuts to me.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8497543

Merci, Jacques! Are they very tasty? One blogger I read said he thought the aquatica was kind of tasteless but that the glabra were very good.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 15, 2011
10:42 PM

Post #8499115

I would not say tasty, I mean you can munch a few but you cannot gulp down many which would result in digestive disorders...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8499701

I think I get the idea !
Some sources make some lesser used food resources sound better than they are. I've found that here- a few wild things that you CAN eat but wouldn't bother too unless starving.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 16, 2011
11:56 PM

Post #8501123

We on Reunion actually eat quite a few plants which are usually regarded as weeds, such as Solanum nigrum, Chenopodium and so on...they are called 'brédes' and cooked like spinash.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8501809

I did read your "bredes' aricle! I eat my Chenepodium too.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 17, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8501819

Good, this is the best way to ccontrol weeds, economicaly and ecologicaly clever! Dendelion and nettles are two other interesting species for this purpose.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8502684

Boy am I fully supplied with "dents de lion"

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 17, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8503138

I do not know how it goes in the US but in France a 'salade de pissenlits aux lardons' is considered a delicacy and can be at the carte of select restaurants!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8504787

well, I don't frequent the nicer restaurants but je n'ai jamais vu possenlits a la menu.
( hoep you don't mind me trying my french)

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 18, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8505592

Actually it is not always in the nicest but in the most typical ones and only 'en saison', keep searching!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Yes, Joyce, there is a Money Tree (Pachira) Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America