Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Goslings!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 12, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8497725

DH saw two little goslings peeking out from underneath the mama Toulouse goose this morning. She is being a very good mother; this is her second year reproducing. She has a bunch more eggs but we're not sure how viable they are because some were laid during very cold weather. She doesn't seem ready to stop setting, though, so she obviously thinks there are more to come. We have to pick up some game bird feed for them; last summer they hatched later in the season and there were plenty of young greens in the pasture for them to graze on.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 15, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8497812

Wonderful, great news, but, where's the pic's? We need pic's. Greenhouse_gal how much land do you have and what other kind of animals do you have besides geese, and chickens? Just being nosey you know...Hay

'
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8498101

I agree with Haystack! But I know it's all about timing in getting those baby pics.. might be there and gone.. Congrats!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8498219

Well, if you insist...
We have twenty acres, but it's a mixture of woods, marshes and fields. Right now all we have are chickens and geese, a labradoodle, a barn cat, and assorted grandkids running in and out. We used to have sheep, goats and horses as well, plus a brief foray into guinea hens. And some ducks, but they were Muscovys and could fly, so they didn't work very well with my vegetable garden.

Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 15, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8498432

What protective parents! It looks like you risked life and limb getting that picture, but it's worth it. A very cute baby! (Plus some unidentifiable fluff.)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8498512

The other two goslings were under there, plus a bunch of eggs. She seems to think they still have potential so she hasn't abandoned them yet. The gander is very protective, which is a good thing since they will have to deal with the chickens and the occasional Cooper's hawk testing their devotion.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 15, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8498587

I'd rather face death by lethal injection than face that gander. I swear that sucker looks just like the one that used to chase me all over the country. Have you ever seen how they tape the alligator and crocks mouth shut when they catch them? I'd do the same with that goose and gander...I'm serious as a heart attack...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8498776

That is an award winning photo! So expressive.. Just love it! Your place sounds like heaven to me!!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 15, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8498839

Sorry, there are no mean ganders in heaven, ZZ's has been tipping again...LOL

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2011
4:18 AM

Post #8499268

Our daughter especially was frightened of our ganders when she was little. I just carry a stick when I go in there and he gets the idea. Thanks, ZZs!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8499844

I have never seen such a great photo.. I mean really, Mom, Dad, Baby and a fluffy butt... this photo shows it all.. the whole family.. all except the eggs! I love it!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8499984

Well, thanks! (Blush)... I do take photos for painting references so I have decent equipment, which helps.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
1:37 AM

Post #8501166

I am with you re ganders, Hay! My parents had geese and the ganders were mean...I was pulling weeds one day, down on the ground..and that goose started toward me..I cursed because I yelled..and here came, Sam, their German Shepherd! He chased that goose, all the way to the pond, and he used that excuse as reason to go into the water after him...(truth be known, I think being able to go into the water, was the main reason in chasing the goose)
and I agree with the others..that picture is wonderful!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America