Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trash to Treasure: mosaic Tea Cart finally done

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 32, Views: 453
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8497879

my latest mosaic project...
I got my hands on this old junky tea cart.. It was one of the cheapie light weight brass plated ones.. the original glass shelves had been replaced with acrylic that were in great shape.. it was about to be thrown away. I walked away from it but it screamed at me to come back to save it.. My Dumpster Diva soul just could not let it be trashed when it had so much potential ..lol...

I found I had a sage green spray paint so the frame color was decided on.. I try to use what I have on hand to keep costs down. Sanded the frame, wiped it down with some acetone and gave it 3 coats of paint, letting it dry a couple of days in between each coat.

In the mean time

I checked my stash of tiles and found I needed more that what I already had so I purchased 6 large rectangle ones that I placed in the center of each shelf. I was hoping to find something in green but no luck. Since I was going of a cottage chic look I figured the white would be okay... then I used leftover floor tile from when I did my bathroom to do the edge. Last but not least I found iridesent green glass mosaic tiles at Lowes marked WAY down to a 25 cents a package and filled in with them. it took 3 packages of them to fill in.

Glued it all down with E6000 ( got to love that stuff). and then grouted. I used white grout but added a container of hunter green craft paint to tint it. I was hoping for a darker green but got this instead... Turns out the grout almost matched the color of the frame...I sealed it and now its ready to go, I just havent figured out where Im going to put it..

this was a fun easy project to do.. dont let the size of a project like this scare you... big or little the steps are all the same and it would be a very easy project for a first timer

this is the end result

This message was edited Apr 19, 2011 12:41 PM

Thumbnail by blkraven2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8497882

close up of the shelves..

Thumbnail by blkraven2

J2222
Southern California, CA

April 15, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8497916

You really are a dumpster diva, that's beautiful.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8498020

thank you..
being a Dumpster Diva is dangerous.. I have way more stuff than I think Ill ever be able to redo but I cant help myself.. I keep seeing stuff that could be reworked.and it breaks my heart to have to pass it by when with just a TLC and a small investment it could have a brand new life!

this took me about 5 hrs to do this and cost was about 7.00 for the materials not counting what I already had on hand.. I did most of it while watching DWTS on monday and tues nites...lol.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8498317

Fantastic job and pretty too.
flowblue
Southern California, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 15, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8498506

very professionally done! and you did not have to cut or chip!!

what is the name of grout you used? and sealer? how many coats of sealant did you apply? will plastic warp?

i have a side table curbside find, but glass missing. choice would be glass or plastic. and where would you buy the plastic? can you buy seconds of plastic? and what thickness should it be? thanks for any answers.
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8498538

Fabulous!
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8498625

Really nice! I love it!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8498881

Wonderful...if you can't find a place for it I have the perfect place at my house. LOL Jo
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8499180

Thank you all.. like I said it was an easy project... the worst part was sanding the frame.. I hate to sand!!! Im in the process of sanding down an metal kitchen cart and its a real PITA...this one will be painted maybe Ill do some stamping on it but right now Im just keeping it plain...

Jo
Next week it will be heading to the local Library for a while.. Im teaching a basic mosaic class at the end of May and its going to be one of the examples of what you can do with mosaics.. maybe by the end of the class Ill know where Im going to put it!...lol..

flowblue..
Unfortunally I did have to cut the small glass tiles.. I had to make smaller triangles to fill in so I didnt have such big areas of grout but I used my nippers instead of cutting..Just held a old towel in my lap to catch the shards and crunched away with the nippers..lol...

I used sanded grout in white and tinted it with hunter green acryllic paint.. the size of the seams determine whether you use sanded or unsanded grout.. just check the package and it will tell you. I use the least expensive grout I can find. I got mine at Lowes but before you buy whats on the shelves ask and see if they have any broken bags.. I got a practially full 10 lb bag of grout for 4.00 instead of its regular price of 14.00 . I usually buy white so I can tint it to what color I want to use.. I found for my gazing globes and stuff I use outside the white tends to show the dirt more than when I color it. Besides black grout really makes the colors pop!

I usually apply 3 coats of sealant to the grout. I have several gazing globes that I did. They've been outside for the past 3 yrs in temps from 15 to 115 degrees and Ive had no issues with them. They look like I just finished them..

Personally I dont mosaic to plastic because most of the time it will not hold the weight of the tiles and grout. When it flexes the grout will crack and so youve lost all your work. I did these on 1/8 in plexiglass/ acrylic that was already cut to fit the tea cart when I found it.. if I hadnt had that I would have used some plywood or hardibacker board scraps I already have. I would have had to add an extra step and cut it to fit is all.

the thickness of the base is usually determined on the size of the project and what its going to be used for ...you can get plexi glass and plywood cut to size at Lowes or Home Depot.. If you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in your area check there. Its amazing what you can find. I get lots of great stuff at a reduced rates at mine

If your table is a small one like a side table you could use 1/4 inch plywood for your base but if it more like a patio table that seats 4 then Id use 1/2 in plywood or hardi backer board... you can use either but if it were me Id chose the hardi backer board because its made for ceramic tiles and to resist moisture which is important if its going outside and being exposed...If you do use plywood make sure to seal the underside by painting it... the goal is to keep the base from warping and moisture out of the wood and it will absorb it if it isnt sealed on both sides.

While I have to watch my budget (like we all do) I always buy the correct supplies when Im reworking something.. Daddy taught me that time is not cheap... theres no point in spending time on a project if I cant do it right to start with!

hope some of this helps!
Kathleen

This message was edited Apr 16, 2011 3:04 AM
nanaka
Webster, WI

April 16, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8499559

You did a beautiful job Kathleen! I love it... more inspiritation for me!

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

April 16, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8499963

I'm going to start drinking tea just to have an excuse to make one of these, It's absolutely beautiful Raven.
John
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8499989

thanks everyone.. one of the things I love about DG is how projects are shared and Ive learned so much since coming here. I hope Ive added to someone elses thinking outside the box...lol
many of my friends say Im creative and they say they arent but I tell them its been a life long journey.. anyone at any age can become more creative.. you have to start with baby steps then keep going.. Pretty soon youre walking, then running and if you keep at it and keep pushing your brain then youre off in a marathon, a never ending one!!!!!!...lol... its like any other skill, you have to work at it!
J2222
Southern California, CA

April 16, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8500310

blk: Thanks for all that mosaic information!!!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8500409

Beautiful !
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8500682

Kathleen, very cool . just in time for summer icetea
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8500824

Baby steps? Running?? Sure...then comes OLD and Shaky...and you can no longer do thing you once did...but I keep at it...just can't paint small things. Nothing strenous either...but I love seeing all of the peoples on DG! Jo
flowblue
Southern California, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 16, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8501129

hi kathleen,

many many thanks for all your shared info. will keep in touch.
will go with hardiback as advised.
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8501548

That is simply beautiful, Kathleen. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs,
Judy
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8506663

Thanks all you latest posters for your nice comments.. Ive been on a mosaic binge the last week getting samples ready for the class Im teaching in may...lol... I did a set of house numbers, an old birdhouse, a candle holder and a flower pot to use as examples along with the tea cart for things that can be done.. I just have grout them all .. I waited to grout so I could do them all at once to help keep the mess down... Making mosaics is addicting thats for sure!!
Ill post pics of all of them when Im done..
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8506668

Yes, pictures please!!
J2222
Southern California, CA

April 19, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8506742

Ditto to what bsavage said!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8507745

Such a pretty TtoT! Yes, pictures of your 'binge'!
free2danz
Maysville, NC

April 27, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8524062

How cute is that! I love it :)
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8544450

That's a great idea for a cart! you've got soomme talent, lady!
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8544650

That's really awesome. I Love it!~
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8544664

thank you.. I like making stuff and learning new things.. keeps me going, ya know???(smile)
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8565908

Thanks for letting me know you can tint grout with paint. I was just asking hubby for my first mosaic. Oh well, next project.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8568912

yep I use craft paint but add the paint to the grout first... it takes a lot of paint to get any of the really dark colors...In the beginning when I would try for black Id usually end up with a dark grey cause Id add paint after I had mixed the grout so now I add it first then add a bit of water then more paint to get the color I want.. you just have to play around with it till you get the hang of it... you can also use the colorant for cement to tint the grout Ive had both paint and that on hand and experimented and both work well.. the cement colorant is more consentrated so youll get a true black easier.
lizzieshome
Grapeland, TX

May 27, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8591225

that is wonderful. I have never done mosaics but want to. I have an antique square enamel tub..enamel on the inside and black on the outside, with kind of a rolled rim. I want to do the outside in mosaics and then use it as a planter. I need to read up on it and I guess start gathering up old china, etc at sales so that I can get'r done.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

March 9, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9036436

[quote="blkraven2"]my latest mosaic project...
I got my hands on this old junky tea cart.. It was one of the cheapie light weight brass plated ones.. the original glass shelves had been replaced with acrylic that were in great shape.. it was about to be thrown away. I walked away from it but it screamed at me to come back to save it.. My Dumpster Diva soul just could not let it be trashed when it had so much potential ..lol...

I found I had a sage green spray paint so the frame color was decided on.. I try to use what I have on hand to keep costs down. Sanded the frame, wiped it down with some acetone and gave it 3 coats of paint, letting it dry a couple of days in between each coat.

In the mean time

I checked my stash of tiles and found I needed more that what I already had so I purchased 6 large rectangle ones that I placed in the center of each shelf. I was hoping to find something in green but no luck. Since I was going of a cottage chic look I figured the white would be okay... then I used leftover floor tile from when I did my bathroom to do the edge. Last but not least I found iridesent green glass mosaic tiles at Lowes marked WAY down to a 25 cents a package and filled in with them. it took 3 packages of them to fill in.

Glued it all down with E6000 ( got to love that stuff). and then grouted. I used white grout but added a container of hunter green craft paint to tint it. I was hoping for a darker green but got this instead... Turns out the grout almost matched the color of the frame...I sealed it and now its ready to go, I just havent figured out where Im going to put it..

this was a fun easy project to do.. dont let the size of a project like this scare you... big or little the steps are all the same and it would be a very easy project for a first timer

this is the end result

I am a little late reading this, being almost a year since you refurbished. This has got "plants" written all over it, is that what you used it for? Good job by the way!

This message was edited Apr 19, 2011 12:41 PM[/quote]

biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

March 9, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9036438

[quote="blkraven2"]thank you..
being a Dumpster Diva is dangerous.. I have way more stuff than I think Ill ever be able to redo but I cant help myself.. I keep seeing stuff that could be reworked.and it breaks my heart to have to pass it by when with just a TLC and a small investment it could have a brand new life!

this took me about 5 hrs to do this and cost was about 7.00 for the materials not counting what I already had on hand.. I did most of it while watching DWTS on monday and tues nites...lol.[/quote]

I am with you there. Everything we can stop going into landfill has to be a bonus!
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9037407

Beautiful! I, too, have collected more "projects" than I'll probably ever get done, but can't resist another one when it's staring me in the face and often free or extremely cheap. I haven't done mosaics yet, but saving up for that project too. Thanks for the encouragement to actually do it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America