Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Good way to keep squash contained

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenboySD
Chula Vista, CA

April 15, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8499083

I am a newbie to squash and I just planted some squash seeds. I have 15-20 seedlings now, and I need something to keep the large vines from overrunning a small rosemary plant nearby. Any ideas?
GrayThumb
Lost in the Woods, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8499127

Maybe an untreated board partially sunk into the ground to divide the squash vines and roots from the rosemary plant and roots?

Good luck!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8499315

Trellis them. I do it with all the squash that run, and they do really well. Not so many bugs, and easy to find and harvest, too. If fact, I buy vining zucchini because it's so much more successful for me. This year I'm going to try training some as shade over some lettuce, and we'll see how it goes:)
gardenboySD
Chula Vista, CA

April 16, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8500043

Thanks so much guys! I built my own trellises. Sort of. I took two stakes and put them to the left and right of the squash seedlings. Then, a place a stake on top of the other two stakes. Finally, I used bricks to make a stone barrier between the rosemary and the squash and one between the squash and the carrots I just planted. I did the same with my beans(just sowed), snap peas, my other squash plants, and my tomatoes. I will post pics later.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2011 6:40 PM
greenstubbs
Vacaville, CA

April 17, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8501792

Not to Hi-jack this thread but a very good question that I'm looking for is. How tall and wide of a trellis should I build as I'm trellising some Squash and Honeydews this year? Thanks
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8503507

Tough to gauge, but my Tromboncino (vining zucchini), planted in 2 hay bales, 2 plants, got a 6'x6' panel of fence to climb. Would have gone higher and wider if I'd let them :)
Never grown honeydew.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

April 23, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8515990

I build cages out of concrete reinforcement wire and put around my squash. They climb right to the top. By the time they get there they are just about through producing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America