Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trash to Treasure: Birdcage Ideas? Send pics please? Thanks

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 52, Views: 1,035
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8499121

I got this today and thought it might look nice on a good stand, we have lot's of wind..

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Click the image for an enlarged view.

curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8499122

I liked the look on the stand except my stand is round and the cage square. Maybe turn the stand upside down.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011
11:40 PM

Post #8499139

Now this miight be better when I get my color sceme right and cage filled and a little EB6000.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8499254

Clever girl! I like it with the stand turned upside down.

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

April 16, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8499991

I made this from an old floor lamp, a $3. cage from a garage sale & 2 fake birds.
John

Thumbnail by ifantail

J2222
Southern California, CA

April 16, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8500306

Nice!
Curve: I love the bird cage and the baby looks real!!
iFan: I love the bird cage and the birds look real!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8502139

This is a terrible picture but you get the general idea.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

J2222
Southern California, CA

April 17, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8502210

Cville: Birdcages and plants are so nice together, love it.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 19, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8506843

I already posted this , but thought I'd add it to your thread .
Real bird cage , fake bird .
Real loquat .

Thumbnail by digger9083

J2222
Southern California, CA

April 19, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8506953

Digger: Real cute.
kitgary
Springville, IA

April 20, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8509294

We use bird cages in the garden to keep the dogs from running over certain plants. Plus, they look good!
This huge hosta is not in any danger from the dogs, in fact the dogs might be in danger from the hosta! However, I couldn't resist this huge parrot cage for free. This was taken in early spring, by summer the hosta leaves were reaching out of the cage and a Sweet Autumn clematis was curling over the top. This cage is almost 6 feet tall!!!

Kit

Thumbnail by kitgary

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 20, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8509447

I need that cage for my real bird .
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2011
12:26 AM

Post #8510358

Love all your ideas! Here is what it ended up, But which way should the stand be upright or upside down? Well My camera broke but I filled it with silk flowers and Ivy a nice size bird and solar light. I think the stand is better upside down.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2011 12:29 AM
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8510578

I liked upside down too. The other birdcages are wonderful. Y'all will have me hunting for birdcages now. Like I need another project??? Oh, well, that's life. Thanks for sharing them all.

Hugs,
Judy
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8514468

J222,
I was trying to figure out the baby thing and went back to my pic and saw TJ for Tyler James, He is as real as they get in my home, feels real too.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8514471

That was the right way, here it is upside down. I have one more base I am thinking of because the top is no good, I scored some good yard sale stuff today. Wrong pic, will send the other one.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 9:38 PM

Thumbnail by curvesarein

curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8514478

This is it upside down, will have to make a base.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8514643

Yes, upside down. ^_^
J2222
Southern California, CA

April 23, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8515075

Curves (& sweet baby Tyler James): I could like either right side up (RSU) or upside down (USD)...cannot make up my mind. Is that faux ivy? If stand is RSU position, I might try to poke some of the ivy in and out through the holes in the round top. That might make the cage and the stand look more like they were "made for one another". If USD, I might try to add some ivy in the bottom area and poke through holes and make it look like it is growing up one of the stand's legs to tie in w the top ivy...

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8515685

I love all your ideas. I too like it USD and J2222 has a great idea of planting in the bottom or is that the top LOL.. I'll be on the look out for cages now. Great job :>)
Christine
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8516606

Yes doing some more ivy would look nice coming up from the bottom, thanks. I am starting a new thread on bottles from cracker barrel.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8519561

Or you could do as I suggested on digger's thread (her $2.00 find). Hang it outside, leave the door open, put in some birdseed...and you'll have real birds in it all the time. I'm now looking for a birdcage to do just that.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 25, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8520240

I have another to do that with . We do have squirrel problems , and will have to poke rain holes in the bottom . It's been in the tree two years so might as well make another feeder . I have a pair of cardinals here , this is the second year for them . I love to watch him feed her .
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9357874

We made a parrot garden with ours. I added old curtain hooks with lion head for the cage handle and put a little metal parrot inside. Steve cut the parrots on the fence and I painted them with outdoor acrylic and waterproof finish.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 8:07 AM

Thumbnail by haighr   Thumbnail by haighr         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 14, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9357992

Loquat above didn't make it . It is now a mango .(I think )
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 14, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9357994

I hope I can get a wood fence up this year . The neighbor behind me is so nasty , the county is on his backside . I'd love to have a bird garden on that fence .
Decolores
Hillsborough, NC

December 14, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9358015

haighr ~ your parrot garden is adorable!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9358749

Thanks it sure serves it's purpose of hiding the neighbors back yard. We did the 10' fence ourselves and have added as we go. This section of the fence is the backdrop for one of our decks and our "Burning Pickle Patio!"

Thumbnail by haighr

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9358877

Haighr, your parrot garden is fun. What are the tall yellow and orange flowers?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 15, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9359214

We do everything ourselves too . Did you use metal pipe for posts and where did you get 10' boards ? Cedar ? deck boards ?
I had more to ask but my computer shut me down . Burns me up .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 15, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9359219

See ?

Thumbnail by digger9083

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9359636

The flowers are Fritillaria imperialis Rubra Maxima - Crown Imperials.
The fence is made from 10' treated lumber, flat boards. We checked them individually for warping and got the straightest we could. We used 4x4 for the posts.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9359774

Thanks, haighr. I checked PlantFiles and was disappointed to find they're not recommended for my zone. Too bad...I have the perfect spot for them.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 16, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9360143

'Nuther question .What size , 4x6, ? We only spend six mos out of the year here and have 17 months work invested . I have got to hide that mess behind me . We haven't repaired the chain link , and will , first . Then I want to put up a wood fence on the inside of it , about 10" up , off the ground so that I can keep it sprayed for weeds .I think yours looks super nice .
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9360376

We put in the 4x4 posts and then added cross pieces at the top and bottom. Then we started adding the 10' boards each one individually. We have a very long upholstery clamp that we used to draw each board as tight as possible to the one already hung and that has kept it from the gaps you get with shrinkage. We then took another board and reamed out the center and placed across the top to keep the boards from buckling. Hope that helps. We also added the center railing because the fence is 35' long and we wanted it to be real stable and not likely to blow down in a storm. Then we added the deck.

Thumbnail by haighr   Thumbnail by haighr   Thumbnail by haighr      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 17, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9360724

I've got to cover 100' across the back . Can't tell by the picture , but the board you reamed and put across the top , is it a 2x4 , and did you cap it with that ?I'm wondering if the 10' boards are 1x6 ? We are in an area that we can buy regular 1x6 "cedar and would like to have a taller fence . The stuff you buy at the box stores is way too expensive for the good stuff ,and only 6' tall .The cheaper panels aren't worth the money .

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

December 17, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9360747

You should leave at least a 1/8" space between the boards because wood swells when it's wet & with change in temperature change & could warp or split the board.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9360918

We used a 2x4 treated and beveled the edges and then reamed out the middle for the cap. Yes the 10' boards were 1x6" treated lumber nothing special.
Do NOT leave a space between as the wood will shrink and you will be able to see the neighbor! Clamp it together to make as tight as possible with the treated lumber and when it shrinks, you will only have about 1/8" of space to peek through! Many folks make the mistake of leaving a bit of space. Here in west MD the wood takes on many forms and shrinks and expands. Tight is the best, do not space! You will lose your high heel shoe between the boards if you space! Forget the split or warp on the treated lumber, tighter is best!
Candee
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 17, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9360976

I try to dry the decking before putting it down so there are very small gaps . It's always so green that when you drive a screw , the water comes out . We just poured the footing for the steps off the new porch . I wanted plexiglass windows for the dogs to see out and so we could see the yard . Looks nice . I'll try to load pictures in a day or two . Hate this windows 7 , X P was so much better .

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9361171

I love the birdcage over the plant idea. I have all these wire circle cages I use to keep the bunnies and in some cases the deer out of certain plants in the yard. I use them mostly in Summer when they are particularly hungry. My husband calls my yard the "plant zoo" when I put the cages out. Birdcages would be sooo much more attractive. I could even make the larger cages "look" like bird cages by putting a wire "roof" on them. This might even be a permanent solution to the deer problem. I'll post some pics when I get around to doing this. Thanks for the inspiration.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9361306

I love it when new ideas pop into my head! Good luck on your projects. I am still using XP and hope I am for a long time to come!

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

December 18, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9361410

haighr, how do you loose a high heel shoe in a space between the boards on a 10 ft. fence ? And how do you know if the boards are swollen or shrunk when you put them together ? Just wondering.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9361419

LOL, I meant having the heel of your hi heels go through the cracks.
We don't know about the boards, we just look for the ones that are the flattest when laid on the floor, we don't want them bowed. We use the clamps to make them as tight as possible to each other as they will shrink a bit and we didn't want gaps between the boards. This fence has been up about 12 years now and you can barely see through it!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 18, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9361850

I got too feeble to wear heels about 12 years ago . Still have some of the spike , pointed toe ones . Need to find someone to give them to .
I'm pn the lookout for some more cages , They look so nice in the yard and hanging from trees . I let some nice stainless ones get away from me at the annual fund sale for our new fire station . I got appointed to cashier this year and couldn't do any shopping for myself .They broke ground for the station the next day . I've been volunteering the last five years .

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9361864

I'm on the look out for bird cages now too.
Now if we could just find a use for all those old aquariums, LOL.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 18, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9361868

Put potting soil in the bottom three inches and start seeds in them . They need a top on them .

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 21, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9364311

I have a nice round bird cage sitting in my garage, have to take it out this spring and see what I can "create". Have a smaller square one that needs cleaning and now it looks I have another project to do. I don't need more projects when I can't seem to start on the ones I've gathered material for, but love the bird cages.
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9365208

[quote="digger9083"]'Nuther question .What size , 4x6, ? We only spend six mos out of the year here and have 17 months work invested . I have got to hide that mess behind me . We haven't repaired the chain link , and will , first . Then I want to put up a wood fence on the inside of it , about 10" up , off the ground so that I can keep it sprayed for weeds .I think yours looks super nice .[/quote]

Have you thought about getting some latice it is pretty cheap and just using a hole digger to drop in some 2x4's nail the lattice to the posts then plant a vining plant that will not only hide the ugly neighbors yard but also attract some niffty critters to the yard?
Here is a link to some plants to consider. http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/climbing-plants/53cat.aspx?bizpageno=1518
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 23, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9365462

Cicca , looked at that site and loved the screening . The brush screen would be so nice but they only ship it inside UK or Ireland . The plants wouldn't work , as I'm not here in the summer and can't keep the vines watered . I can do the wood fencing for about 3.00 a foot so not too bad . That would be a great way to go with the lattice if I was here to care for it .
My whole back yard was grown up in Johnson grass when we got back this fall .I told my son not to mow in the back yard so the grass burrs wouldn't scatter and I could pull them up by the roots before the burrs ripened and fell off .
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #9365764

This site was just to give you some ideas. :)
I'm sure if there is something that you like there is a place in the states that sells it.
What about putting in a automatic sprinkler system? That would keep things watered when you are not there.
IDK, I'm just tossing out ideas, that is a tough one.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 24, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9365982

Good ideas . Just won't work for here . I'm on a water system that charges a base of 32.00 a month , and anything you use is charged on top of that . Thats 192.00 dollars for the six mos we're gone , whether you use water or not .I have a neighbor that waters some of my fruit trees when he comes in for the weekend . This is one of the evils of having two places to care for , 1,200 miles apart .I could have a well drilled , and that would be just to water with , very expensive when I could just landscape with concrete and be done with it . LOL
To tell you the truth , I'd like to sell the place in Georgia and just have this smaller place in Texas .That isn't going to fly because my D H 's family all live there and my family all live here .
That is a great site and will take more time to look at all the goodies they have. I saw some stuff I want to look at closer .
I can do my whole back fence for under 500.00 and that's a cheap price to pay for a nice backyard .. My place has had sand and dirt hauled in to make the lots higher than all the rest of them in the neighborhood . It puts me about 4 1/2 foot above the mess behind me and the fence line is lower , on the same level as them .That's why I would like a higher fence than normal .When I get that fence in , I can put up bird cages , Paint the fence with Butterflies , Hummingbirds , Tropical stuff and enjoy the privacy .
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9366411

What about desertscaping?
No water required, I seen that a lot when we lived in AZ, was kinda neat looking.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 25, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9366903

I did that when I lived in Chandler , Arizona . I liked it because it didn't take a lot of work to keep it nice . Don't know if it would work here . This is on the Texas coast with a lot of tropical plants in the landscape. I love the look of tropical plants and it seems there are a lot of plants lost to a few freezes each year . It actually got down to 26 one year and lost some nice plants . About the time I had them established , it froze . This is an iffy area . I have started putting in some things that don't need a lot of watering and it seems to be working . I have some bird cages that I'd like to bring back next year for the landscape . Might have to get out the roundup to treat the yard and go for gravel walks all around the yard . Some thorn-less cactus would be good . There are only about five or six shrubs that do well and everyone has them . Lantana is native here but some new ones have been on the market for awhile and I love flowering plants . They sure do stink tho .Rubber trees were nice , but the freeze got them and palms do pretty good .I think if I can fence off the junk behind me I'd be happy .Then I can start putting in things that do well here and can enjoy landscaping the back .I'd like a pond with rocks and a fire pit . We also get a lot of copperhead snakes and a rattler once in awhile . A wildlife refuge is only about 1/2 mile away .
Some of our D G'ers have really put in some beautiful gardens ..., but they would be snake havens here . It's a fine line between plants , snakes , drought the last few years and nasty neighbors that don't have a bit of pride in their surroundings .
Sorry to be O T .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America