Fact Buster: eating a lot of sugar give you diabetes?

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Has happen to many of us, you are ready to get your hands into a the candy jar and someone said: "Don't eat that, it will give you Diabetes!

The notion there's a direct link between eating sugar and developing diabetes is a myth.

The reality is that eating too much of any unhealthy food can make you fat, which can cause diabetes. And having a sweet tooth can lead you to overweight and obesity, a key trigger for the most common form of diabetes: type 2. But so can eating too much of many other unhealthy foods, not just those high in sugar.

Diabetes is a disease where there's too much glucose — a type of sugar — in your blood. But just because you have high blood sugar doesn't mean that eating a lot of sugar is what got you there,

However, eating too many sugary foods can lead to weight gain, a key trigger for the most common form of diabetes: type 2. But so can eating too much of many other unhealthy foods, not just those high in sugar but also high in fats.

Body fat and insulin
Overweight can lead to diabetes because extra body fat causes chemical changes in your body. Fat is not only storage tissue, but now we know that it's an active tissue which produces hormones — chemical messengers that influence processes in the body, these hormones produced by fat influence the activity of another hormone, insulin, which controls the uptake of glucose from your blood.

Glucose is the body's main source of energy and it comes from carbohydrates such as potatoes, bread, pasta and rice, fruit and milk. Also sweet foods, soda drinks, sugar.

After food is digested, the glucose is released and absorbed into the bloodstream. From there, it's transported into cells under the control of insulin, which is released from the pancreas.

As you gain weight, hormones produced by the extra body fat may mean you start to need more insulin to process your blood glucose effectively. Eventually your need for insulin may be so high your pancreas cannot supply enough of it. The result is diabetes.

As we continue absorbing the sugar produce from the food we eat, the body has not been able to reduce the high level of sugar existing in the blood.

This build-up of glucose in the bloodstream eventually damages blood vessels, which can lead to heart attack, stroke and problems with the kidneys, eyes, feet and nerves.

Diet and diabetes
Of course many foods high in sugar are also high in calories and therefore may make you gain weight. Sugar combined with fat for instance results in "energy dense" foods like biscuits and cakes. And it's easy to overdose on calories drinking high sugar drinks like soft drinks.

A study of more than 90,000 women tracked for eight years by researchers at Harvard University found those who had one or more servings a day of sugar-sweetened soft drink or fruit punch were twice as likely to have developed type 2 diabetes during the study compared with those who rarely had these drinks.

It is easy to gain weight. To gain 2 kg a year, you only have to eat 100 calories a day more than you need. That's about five teaspoons of sugar. So it's not much.

To prevent type 2 diabetes, it's better to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet than focusing specifically on avoiding sugar, also try to be active for 30 to 60 minutes a day — not just to help manage your weight but exercise helps insulin work effectively.

Some more specific dietary measures that help prevent diabetes include:
eating a bit less
eating more fibre
eating less salt
eating less fat, particularly saturated fat

There is also some evidence suggesting eating slowly-digested carbohydrate foods — that is foods with a low glycaemic index or 'low GI' — can reduce your risk. Low GI carbohydrates include wholegrain breads, oats, lentils and beans.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you for this important information.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Glad you read it. Thanks you!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Sigh... I have to do something different... what I am doing is NOT healthy by ANY stretch of the imagination.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

psychw2, you know, the curiosity killed the cat.LOL!

Tell me what are you doing?

NOT eating right, not exercising and working a STRESSFUL job. Now the only thing that could be worse is if I drank and did drugs but I dont' do those things!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

psychw2, it is good that you realize you are doing wrong, but don't feel bad, just do something about.

If you are still working it means that you're not that old and it is time to start changing some, I would start eating more fresh fruit, they are sweet and have plenty fiber to fill you up a bit and step by step you can continue your change ... a kind of a New You!

Yes, I'm doing "something about it" and it may well be too late for some of my joints but we'll see.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

psychw2, it is never too late. It is amazing how the mind work, if you put a bit more positive sense in your effort for sure it will work.

Forget about all the mistakes you may have done and continue slowly but surely.

Also try to increase the blood pH to make it less acid especially for your joints, plenty of water, lots of green and some apple cider vinegar.

Increasing some walking is also good as a type of exercise.

Right now the walking is out of the question as I have injured a knee. I have increased the water, improved my eating and I have been doing a little research about what kind of vinegar is most beneficial.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Um.. Explain me something here.. *Chemist Moment*

"Increase blood pH with vinegar and water"

HUH? Water, drinking water, is either pH neutral, but typically pH basic (>7). Vinegar is weak acetic acid... pH Acidic (obesity-->diabetes.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

I try to explain.

The acid - alkaline balance or acid-base balance is precisely controlled, because even a minor deviation from the normal range can severely affect many organs. The body uses different mechanisms to control the blood's acid-base balance.

Lungs: One mechanism the body uses to control blood pH involves the release of carbon dioxide from the lungs. Carbon dioxide, which is mildly acidic, is a waste product of the metabolism of oxygen (which all cells need) and, as such, is constantly produced by cells. That is why we need to exercise to release more carbon dioxide.

Kidneys: The kidneys are also able to affect blood pH by excreting excess acids or bases. The kidneys have some ability to alter the amount of acid or base that is excreted, but because the kidneys make these adjustments more slowly than the lungs do, this compensation generally takes several days. That is why we need to drink more water.

Buffer Systems: Yet another mechanism for controlling blood pH involves the use of buffer systems, which guard against sudden shifts in acidity and alkalinity, they are very complicated biochemical systems were good nutrition plays a major role and got no much to do with the particular pH of the food or drinkthat we eat but, it is the way the body uses those food / drink we eat and how they are digested ( remember that the stomach produces a very high acid, the hydrochloric acid to digest meat and animal protein in general).

Over acidity, which can become a dangerous condition that weakens all body systems, is very common today. It gives rise to an internal environment conducive to disease, as opposed to a pH-balanced environment which allows normal body function necessary for the body to resist disease. A healthy body maintains adequate alkaline reserves to meet emergency demands. When excess acids must be neutralized, our alkaline reserves are depleted leaving the body in a weakened condition.

In 1933 a New York doctor named William Howard Hay published a ground-breaking book, A New Health Era in which he maintains that all disease is caused by autotoxication (or "self-poisoning") due to acid accumulation in the body:

pH (potential of hydrogen) is a measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution. It is measured on a scale of 0 to 14—the lower the pH the more acidic the solution, the higher the pH the more alkaline (or base) the solution. When a solution is neither acid nor alkaline it has a pH of 7 which is neutral.

Water is the most abundant compound in the human body, comprising 70% of the body. The body has an acid-alkaline (or acid-base) ratio called the pH which is a balance between positively charges ions (acid-forming) and negatively charged ions (alkaline-forming.) The body continually strives to balance pH. When this balance is compromised many problems can occur.

It is important to understand that we are not talking about stomach acid or the pH of the stomach. We are talking about the pH of the body's fluids and tissues which is an entirely different matter.

This is from American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
What Causes Me to be Acidic?
The reason acidosis is more common in our society is mostly due to the typical American diet, which is far too high in acid-producing animal products like meat, eggs and dairy, and far too low in alkaline-producing foods like fresh vegetables. Additionally, we eat acid-producing processed foods like white flour and sugar and drink acid-producing beverages like coffee and soft drinks. We use too many drugs, which are acid-forming; and we use artificial chemical sweetners like NutraSweet, Equal, or aspartame, which are extremely acid-forming. One of the best things we can do to correct an overly-acid body is to clean up the diet and lifestyle.

Most people who suffer from unbalanced pH are acidic. This condition forces the body to borrow minerals—including calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium—from vital organs and bones to buffer (neutralize) the acid and safely remove it from the body. Because of this strain, the body can suffer severe and prolonged damage due to high acidity—a condition that may go undetected for years.

Mild acidosis can cause such problems as:
Cardiovascular damage, including the constriction of blood vessels and the reduction of oxygen.
Weight gain, obesity and diabetes.
Bladder and kidney conditions, including kidney stones.
Immune deficiency.
Acceleration of free radical damage, possibly contributing to cancerous mutations.
Premature aging.
Osteoporosis; weak, brittle bones, hip fractures and bone spurs.
Joint pain, aching muscles and lactic acid buildup.
Low energy and chronic fatigue.

A recent seven-year study conducted at the University of California, San Francisco, on 9,000 women showed that those who have chronic acidosis are at greater risk for bone loss than those who have normal pH levels. The scientists who carried out this experiment believe that many of the hip fractures prevalent among middle-aged women are connected to high acidity caused by a diet rich in animal foods and low in vegetables. This is because the body borrows calcium from the bones in order to balance pH. —

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

If you cannot walk, you can always do some exercise, calisthenics, moving your muscles by exerting pressure etc all that will help to expel carbonic compound that increases the acidity of the blood, moving your arms also help.

LOL, don't get me wrong, I do not intend to be a couple couch potato because my knees, hips & ankles are rebelling currently! Thanks for your concern and encouragement.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Cristina, since I have a MS Chem degree, the science lesson is nice, but unneeded.

Vinegar is acidic. How does drinking acid raise pH to basic >7?

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

AngelSong I do not answer question only for one person, I wasn't being condescending either, but I know that our post are read by many DG's friends.

here is the answer to your question:

An explanation of the apple cider vinegar ash: if the apple cider vinegar was burned, what is left over becomes ash. When you check for the pH of that ash and dissolve it with water, the content is alkaline. Whenever our body digests anything, it undergoes oxidation, which is similar to burning and the end result is that you can determine whether the end product was alkaline or acid. Unlike almost every other vinegar, it has an alkaline ash and improves pH by making the body less acidic.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Ummm...
stomach is acidic
Acid + Acid does not yield base...

I'll stop now. I think I know enough.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

What a pity for that attitude!

Our stomach is much more complicated than that, reviewing digestion will take me too far away than the theme of this thread, that is Diabetes, therefore let's continue with Diabetes. sugar, overweight and ways to aide the body to use the glucose (sugar) in the blood and reduce a bit of weight

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Cristina, I am here watching and learning. I have added walking everyday to the little exercise that I am able to fit in, since I sit every day in front of a computer at work. I enjoy the healthy tips that you share.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

torriesmom Hi! good to 'see you' around here.

The key for the appearance of diabetes type 2 is overweight and sedentary lifestyle, that's easy to say but we have to help each other to find ways to fight and decrease a bit those causes, I always like to join in the emotional, psychology aspect of the obesity that lead to diabetes.
Some few clinical studies have indicated that by working in small groups, the effectiveness of diet, exercise and emotional wellbeing are accomplished in greater percentage and shorter time spam, bringing blood sugar level within normal parameters and if this change in eating and exercise continue as a definitive lifestyle change the diabetes will be resolve.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

A friend that send me this:

Hello Cristina, this may be of help for others looking ways to look after loves one with diabetes, here it is:
Cilantro is also well known for lowering blood sugar. It also lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol, and also is good to prevent urinary infections. It helps protect against Salmonella and e-coli, and much more.

I found this out a few years ago while researching for my husband's diabetes.
It is one of the very few herbs he likes (alas), so I was very glad to learn of its good properties for diabetes. I grow it and use it a lot. My youngest grand-daughter (6) loves to pick it right out of the garden or the pot when I grow it inside in the winter, to eat it herself and then walks around offering to whomever is around. Like Grandma, she eats right out of the garden. Nicole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images