Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Homesteading: Building a Home

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 237, Views: 2,772
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8501451

We were going to build a home using landscape timbers= a Timber Home= but decided not to.
It will be a standard frame with wood siding. I like wood. It's Country and I love the country life.
I guess the only country life that I would like to live without is hauling water. I like the convenience
of plumbing and running water. I have lived the life of hauling water up a hill in 5 gallon buckets and
I don't want to be there again.

Anyway= our home will have running water and electricity and a wood burning stove heater.
It will be a small home. Nothing big. We are getting old==not old yet= but when old gets here= we
want a small home with low living expenses. We decided to build a 20x48 with a laundry utility room addition
and a 8x16 office with its own entry door. AT the end of the 20x48 will be a 16x20 screen porch= Outdoor Living.
On front will be an 8x 48 deck===haven't decided if or when it will have a roof. I Like the Sun.

Brief history= Last year our mobile home burned down= May 26. 2 months later we bought another mobile home.
It was not home. Never felt like home. I didn't like it. Maybe it was the loss of the other one==maybe it would take a
while longer to feel at home in the new=used mobile home===maybe maybe==point is= i was not at home.
We sold the mobile home to build a house where the mobile was sitting. We chose to live in a 12 x24 shed=micro living= while we built our new home. Contractors are not building it===We are building it. But we get the advice and suggestions
from a few local building contractors.

Everything around here seems to be upside down==everything out of place= a mess here and a mess there and = It's just unorganized. I am an organized person and hubby is not so I have to walk behind him picking up his mess. Plus I have a greenhouse business to tend to so I am back and forth between cleaning= building= customers= planting= watering= etc...
It is going to be a long spring and summer.

Let me show you where the house is going to be built===already in process.
When they were moving the mobile home out, the equipment broke down, and the mobile home sat here
for two weeks.= meanwhile , we had to disassemble most of the porch and deck roofs and upper level.
We put the upper level deck on the shed and took a pergola section of the deck that is not in the picture and moved
it to the end of the shed to make a laundry room.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2011 8:08 AM

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8501488

I will miss the upper level deck. It was very nice. Loved going up there for morning coffee and watching the storms roll in.
I use to say it was there so i could look over all my stupidity. lol My tower. ==so long tower.

Finally got the area cleaned up enough to start the foundation. It is not a full foundation. It is concrete columns.
Columns every 8 ft down the outer band of the home and every 8 ft down the center but every 5 ft from side to side.
If that makes sense to ya. Every 16ft has a double concreted =mortared column with anchor bolts.
There are a few loose set columns that i have to put in today. Hubby hates working with and leveling concrete blocks.
He is bad at it and takes him forever to get it right==so that job belongs to me. I had to redo several of his columns.
While I finish the columns===Hubby has started on the floor===He's in a hurry. I want to do it all One step at a time til that step is complete===but not him.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8501510

The remaining deck has to be lowered to the right level of the house. To make it easier to build the floor frame, the deck
will not be lowered until the house floor is complete. I really dread lowering the deck. I think its going to be a hard job and I think it might fall==scary thought.
On the deck is a Table Top Garden with snow peas growing in it. It is very heavy and impossible to move while it is full of soil. I am impatiently waiting for the snow peas to produce and end its production so I can empty the soil and move the box so the deck can be lowered.

The house floor is framed with 2x10s..
I get to go shopping for a Front Door, a back door and the office door and a few windows Monday. I want the front door to be Oak=unfinished= so I can stain it the color I want. Plus =I just like doing stuff like that.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8501530

I do a lot of cooking outside. And all of our porch furniture and lawn furniture has been squeezed into this area which is most of my gardening area and the Grilling Station. Not much of a set up but= it works.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8501539

I wasn't thinking when I posted the first picture. That makes an ugly introduction photo. wish I could take it off.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8501544

We had the opposite problem. We bought an old, cheap mobile home to live in, while we built a new home. But we were comfortable and it felt like home, so we're still living in it 9 years later. Eventually, it will have a large room addition...

You didn't tell us about your stairway to nowhere :) I bet that upper deck was fantastic. Thought about doing that here, but the wind is so bad, that we would rarely be able to enjoy it.

I haven't commented much on your threads, but I love reading them.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8501557

Love your cooking area!

Not to worry about the introduction picture. We'll just be able to really appreciate your progress. Besides, I remember pictures of your place before the fire and it was beautiful! You do great work.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8502037

Ooooh, nice grilling area Cricket!! I've not gotten over my (irrational) fear of using propane yet, so I just have a charcoal grill. It is about time to start using it again too. I have a fire pit, but it needs mowing and cleaning out. Since neither of my mowers are working at the moment, I came back to peruse your thread.

It looks like a lovely start; can't wait to see what ya'll do!

~H
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8502077

I am really impressed with your setup and life style. We also live that way and I know the work involved. (And the dream)!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8503012

I love my grilling station., I did have 3 charcoal grills and one gas grill... I finally had to say bye to one of the charcoal grills. Its bottom rusted out but I kept the grates in hopes of making a fire pit one day. They might come in handy==never know. I have all the brick to make the pit pretty----I just have too many other things going on right now.
On hot days I cook outside or in a pressure cooker inside. On cold days I cook inside. A 12 x 24 shed is small but I have a full kitchen. I will take pictures tomorrow.

msrobin= I had forgotten all about posting my other home and all the work we did. Now that you mention it==i recall posting about it. The room additions all the way down the back side with a master bath, a laundry, a bedroom addition the sun room and the greenhouse addition and the deck with upper deck and the pergola sitting area and and and it was rubber ducky yellow trimmed in white with white lattice on everything.========so freaking sad.. I know its hard putting up with others emotions but cant help but say I just don't know if I will ever be at home again but I can try.

Cyberageous= what does your life style consist of? What are you living in?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8510010

Me and hubby got most of the floor framing done. I finished up with the columns while he cut the wood then I helped haul it to where it had to go and held it in place while he nailed with a nail gun. Leveling concrete blocks on hard clay soil is not an easy job...but satisfying when you finish it...soooooo glad that is over!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't been shopping yet===been too busy working.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8510017

I cooked = hickory smoked = a turkey on the grill yesterday and the wind was so bad that I had to turn the grill around to keep the wind from blowing my fire out. Then I was in the line of fire and smoke. : /

It was good good good.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2011
2:11 AM

Post #8510392

WOW! Looking good!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8514021

we have a problem.
The high winds caused some problems=====the main problems is= It blew that 48 ft deck over 9 inches on one end and it now sits over the future floor. We knew we had to lower the deck 12 inches or so already===but now we have to move it over too. I cannot picture this. I have no idea how it will be done. And hubby doesn't either.
And it's just me and him. Don't know how much it would cost to hire help!?! We don't have all the money to finish the house. We build it as we make the money.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8514214

I am sorry to hear that... there is more wind coming your way. It has been blowing incredibly hard today. What weird weather!

Is there any way you can tie on to the deck and slide it sideways by pulling it with a vehicle?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 22, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8514274

Long, strong levers?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8514444

Someone suggested a few things

We do have a tractor with a bucket===but it would be slightly difficult getting it in there to lift and gently and slowly move one end of the deck. Since the deck is in 8 foot sections and each section has only one 2x6 that separates the 8 ft sections==we are worried that if we use the tractor, some section of the deck could fold. We will have to play around with the tractor to see what position we can get it in there and see how much extra support we can give the frame of the deck so it doesn't fold.

The other option is to lay cap blocks next to the cap blocks that the deck 4x4s were sitting on===use a jack and put it on an angle in the direction that we want the deck to go in and use a another 4x4 to get the height we need and gently jack the deck over===slowly ONLY 9 inches or 10
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 22, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8514473

I like the jack option.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8519061

The winds destroyed my table umbrella. I have no shade trees. I had to put together a shady resting area. We already had a canopy frame (9x20 ish) and already had a 60% shade cloth. Put it in where the future porch will be.
Helped hubby lay the sub- flooring. Got over half of it done. Will finish the other half today.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8519074

no glare

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8519120

Looking good!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8520090

I know it must be a personal preference with many opinions= but I like looking at the osb board. There are hundreds of small pieces of wood with their own wood grain in different directions. Call me crazy but I really want to sand and polyurethane the OSB board and call it my Mosaic Wood Floors. : ) :D :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8520114

Cricket, lots of people do just that... go for it!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8521147

There are a few things I need to find out. First= the OSB board has a wax coating on one side which is the side facing up so the floors repel water while you build the rest of your house. The other side is rough and bare.
I need to find out if sanding it will remove most of the wax, and will the wax cake up on the sand paper, and after it is sanded and some wax remain in some crevises, will the polyurethane or Varathane floor vinish bond to that wax??????????

Meanwhile==the floor is complete. Storms due in today and tomorrow. Would like to rent a floor sander after it dries and sand the floor real good before we start the walls.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 26, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8521361

Maybe you need to have a wax-finished floor instead?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8529733

All right... looking for you to check in Cricket. When you are roughing it like you are, we can't help but worry when bad storms sweep through. Hoping all is well there...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8529844

Checking the weather damage in your area:
[quote]

04/27/2011 0519 am

Townley, Walker County.

Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by co-op observer.

Trees down and debris in the Road.

04/27/2011 0526 am

Jasper, Walker County.

Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by Emergency Mngr.

Numerous trees down and strucutre damage in Jasper.

04/27/2011 0528 am

Cordova, Walker County.

Tornado, reported by co-op observer.

*** 2 inj *** Road signs blown down and a truck blown
into The Ditch along Interstate 22 and Exit 70. Numerous
trees and structures damaged. At least one Mobile
destroyed.

04/27/2011 0535 am

Sipsey, Walker County.

Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by amateur radio.

Outbuildings damaged near Sipsey.

04/27/2011 0448 PM

Cordova, Walker County.

Hail e2.75 inch, reported by trained spotter.

04/27/2011 0507 PM

Dora, Walker County.

Tornado, reported by trained spotter.

Tornado on the ground in Dora.

04/27/2011 0519 am

Townley, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0526 am

Jasper, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0528 am

Cordova, Walker County.

destroyed.

04/27/2011 0535 am

Sipsey, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0448 PM

Cordova, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0507 PM

Dora, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0519 am

Townley, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0526 am

Jasper, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0528 am

Cordova, Walker County.

destroyed.

04/27/2011 0535 am

Sipsey, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0448 PM

Cordova, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0507 PM

Dora, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0519 am

Townley, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0526 am

Jasper, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0528 am

Cordova, Walker County.

destroyed.

04/27/2011 0535 am

Sipsey, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0448 PM

Cordova, Walker County.

04/27/2011 0507 PM

Dora, Walker County.

[/quote]

Praying all is well with Crickets Garden!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8532181

Since Cricket has not posted in awhile on this thread - could someone who has the number - make the call - and let everyone know the results? please.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8532193

Dyson, she's not in the address exchange, and I don't know anyone who knows her.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8532202

Darius - glad you were spared (though without internet for awhile) DW has lots of family in NC and they are all Ok, waiting for the old phone to charge up so I can access Shoes number, My family in Gloucester, Va were also spared (sister, etc) it was close though. If anyone needs anything we will do the best we can.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8534458

Hey everyone======I am alive.

Thanks for worrying about me. We had the least of damage here. It's all minor. Though that Cordova town = downtown= was wiped out. It is about 20 miles from here.
Other towns around us had a lot of damage. Over 204 dead across the state. Not sure what the current numbers are.
We were only out of power for a few days and no phone service for a few days. All is well in my neck of the woods.
The main city close by= 10miles away, Jasper===still without power in most places and still running on generators.
Bless those who have lost family and friends and homes.
meanwhile==we continue to build.

Most of the walls are up. Just a few more to go, then finish the top plate on the walls, Then hopefully start on the roof this weekend.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8534473

The tornadoes came so close.
We had some tornado funnels that came over head but moved on to the next county and touched down in a big city.
The local weather news had a weather cam located in that big city====Cullman Alabama===and as we watched on TV= it passed us and touched down in Cullman= the weather station showed on tv as it touched down===live= and destroyed parts of that city. It was horrifying to watch and to know what it was doing.

The biggest damage we had was the shade canopy that we just put up was twisted like a pretzel. We took it down and replaced it with some greenhouse hoops and put the shade cloth over that.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8534510

WOw! you guys have been making progress.
So glad to hear all is well and you have suffered no more setbacks!

Thanks for letting us know all is well with you and prayers for those that are dealing with the aftermath.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8534533

To list the damages in our state would take some doings. but to list one that we came to====On a main highway 78, the tornado that landed in Cordova and moved across the county, picked up a few mobile homes and they landed on the main highway and had traffic blocked for a long ways. We traveled that road trying to find gas cause my truck was on empty and no power anywhere. Had to turn around and drive back home on empty. Made it home fine===We were dumb actually. We thought the storms were done= and over with when we left. Had no idea the city had no power. On our way home, My mom calls and said ==you better get out of there cause there is another tornado funnel coming your way. I had to tell her that I was not home but on my way home. Had a few family members in an uproar cause I was headed straight for it. Had to pull over and wait for it to pass over before we could continue home. Meanwhile my grandfather was there with no phone service and my mom was so worried but there wasn't much I could do at that point. The stormed passed with no damages. We were just plum dumb. It was the last storm to pass over.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8535089

Glad to hear you are okay!

Great going on the progress. When you get done there, you wanna come help us? lol
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8535480

MsRobin, I didn't know you were building a home too. Do you have a blog or thread ?

I have been so unsettled. Brain all over the place. It's crunch time. I really really like the Gambrel Roofs. By the time you build a Gambrel Roof , You almost have a second story floor. My grandfather has talked me out of building a 2 story twice all by using his negative comments and he doesn't like 2 story and this and that. He knows a lot of carpentry work but he is 80 years old now and I don't think he ever built a two story house in his life so when we start talking about the construction of a two story house, he starts acting and talking negative and weird stuff and making comments that we don't know what we are doing===not like we are stupid or anything===but kinda like we are stupid. LOL. He kinda acts like this====since he doesn't know exactly how to do it==he acts nervous as if he is the one building it. Got any grandparents like that????????? That's when i change my mind on two story gambrel roof. I just don't want to hear his negative weird comments and crap. But I can't live peacefully if I pass up the opportunity to have a gambrel roof. And if its going to be a gambrel roof,,, it will be two story.
No turning back now. We ordered the wood for the floor on the second story. Talked to a building contractor and he said our foundation will support a two story house. The second story floor joist will be 2x10 every 12 inches. Me and my husband are comfortable with the plans and comfortable with the knowledge of building it. Grandfather is not.
Anyway= I have not told grandfather that we are building a two story. He lives 15 feet away in a mobile home. It is going to be hard hiding the news after he sees 2x10 joist going up instead of regular roof rafters.
Can you see how thrilled I could be but dreadfull at the same time. Ug.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8536286

Hey Cricket... you can tell gramps that it's just his eyesight failing!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8536703

ROFL

I will try that. Just to see the response.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8537174

Cricket, we gave up on building a house years ago. We had plans to build when we bought our place 10 years ago, but with DH traveling for work for months at a time, we gave up on that idea. We were pretty comfortable with our small mobile home, so just decided to build an addition. Now if we can just get time and money to find us at the same time...

DH did build his 16' x 24' shed a few years ago and he's planning on building a 2 or 3 room "cabin" on the back side of it.

The gambrel roof will look pretty cool. You could just laugh it off with GF and tell him you finally made a decision and you're sticking to it. You have to remember that as we get older, we get pretty set in our ways. GF isn't any different.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 3, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8537262

Or you could tell him that since he never could explain why 2 stories was a stupid idea, you'd find out for him.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8537277

Porkpal, that's a good one! :)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8538920

meet the new watch dog

Daisy, a great pyrenees, about 5 weeks old.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8538929

I forgot the mention ...After the floor was saturated with rain, all the seems where the osb board meet, Puckered up just enough to notice. So we thought it would be a bad idea to sand it right then and started on the walls. It was saturated again yesterday with a long steady rain. Not sure how much more it will pucker up but the floor will most likely be a subfloor and have to add a new layer on top later.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8538941

My floors are sub-flooring that had carpet which I tore out when I moved in. The previous owners had dogs that were not housebroken and the sub-flooring had buckled fiercely under the nasty carpet. We need new flooring but some is buckled so badly that it will have to be cut out, once we can afford floors.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8544693

Thats awful darius. I bet that stinks too.
I never had any animals to do that much damage to a floor.
And= while we were potty training our youngest son and while he was learning to use a sippy cup which were not very good 11 years ago, he made many messes on our living room carpet and I pulled it all up and put tile down. I knew the future would not be good so I took care of it asap...needless to say I sold that home 3 years later. life is such a long story. I don't like carpet in the living room. Too much happens in there. I do like carpet in the bedrooms. So nice on cold winter mornings.

We bought our windows. 10 of them . Used. Double insulated which is double pane with some type of gas between the panes...?... from what i understand.. . $75 each. Screens included, 6 ft windows. 3 ft wide.
Found some metal doors at Home Depot with the upper half window for $184 each. I am afraid we will run out of money= funds to make the home warm before cold weather sets. I need 3 doors but I am only going to buy one door for now. All the door ways are framed in. We are going to use Black Board Insulation on the outside to get it all blacked in including the two door ways that will not have a door right now. If I manage to have the money for the other doors this fall , then i will get them then=====after I know we are safe and warm for the winter.

Still framing in the windows. Chaning the floor plan slightly to get the stairs in place.
so much to do in so little time.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8551904

haven't done much lately. Hubby had an office in a shopping center to paint and do some plumbing in. We get to build more today=====a few more walls, some floor joist on second floor so we can build the stairs.

Here is a picture of some of the used windows. I will clean them later.

This message was edited May 10, 2011 8:25 AM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8551928

another

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8553207

Going good for you. Has Grandpapa figured it out yet?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8553502

lol , i don't think so but======= Grandfather had to go to town today and on his way out he saw my big stack of 2x10s that are 20 ft long and he knows we finished our floor so===i'm sure he figured something was up but he never said anything to me when he came back home and I haven't got to talk to him yet. He also knows that I bought more windows and he was telling my mom-=----the girl bought more windows---I don't know where she is going to put them. My mom didn't say a word cause she knows what I am doing---and the hush hush of it. I whispered to her----should I tell him and she said ===no. So, It's still a secret. But if he ask before we put up the joist then I will tell the truth...
We did not get around to the second floor today. Had greenhouse customers all day long and hubby had to go put in a few job bids but we will start on it tomorrow. The walls are complete except for a few window frames. We are i n a hurry to get the second floor on and covered with plastic before the rains on Friday.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8556678

Grandfather saw hubby, brother/law, and nephew putting those big 2x10s on the walls and yelled, " What are you doing?"
We had to tell him. He was soooooo shocked and wanted to know why we changed our minds. Simply because that's what I wanted. He just sat on his little porch and watched them work for hours... I took him something for lunch but we all had company so the subject never came up. He seems to be fine with it. He doesn't have much choice.

Those 2x10 20ft floor joist was a huge job to put up. They almost got half of them up. There was many that were warped (crowned badly) and hard to work with. They got the floor framed up to the stair case area.

While the men worked on the house, me and my sister went to town and I bought 22 chicks...they are so cute and fun to watch.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8556695

the 2nd story floor joist =====view from my stairs to now where.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8556714

The floor joist that sit over the stair case walls and the master bedroom, bath, laundry, and hall way are all set on 16 inch centers. The floor joist that will sit over the big room(livingroom and kitchen) with no walls to help support the floor will bet set on 12 inch centers.
We were told that they could also bet set on 16inch centers but I felt more comfortable with them set on 12 inch.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8556722

Wow! You all are really moving along!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 11, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8556846

That is going to be a really stout house. Good work!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8558707

almost through with the floor joist===hes gonna try to finish up the last 8 feet this evening===we shall see. I bet he sleeps half the day tomorrow during the rain spell.

We have stairs.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8562525

Went up on the 2nd floor to take a few pictures and the wind was blowing and every time the wind blew it would nudge me and I would feel off balance and it made me sick at my stomach. I couldn't stay up there very long.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 14, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8562635

Second story motion sickness - your grandfather was right!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8562782

rofl
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8562988

It must make you both very proud to be building your own house. It's looking great!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8563296

Yes we are proud. I guess the only thing that stopped us in the past from building a home was=-== we had a mobile home where we would like a house and it was hard deciding how to get it done====and just finally decided to rough it out in a shed while we built. It is rough and I can't wait to get out of this shed. I have a whole houses worth of messes crowded up in two rooms. I rather it be spread out. Looks less messy. Feels less messy.

Just 3 to 4 more weeks and im outta here...as fast as i can.=======though, I will probably still use the shed for a short while-=---kinda like an outhouse and shower room but its only 10 ft from the house.

I have a few extra problems-minor. OUr neighbors home burned down about a month ago and we had most of our other belongings stored in their huge barn. Long story short,,,they were buying the place from an individual instead of paying a bank and the previous owner is fighting with them to take the land and says they just don't want to sell it anymore event though they have a contract========all said=====the neighbor said he got a lawyer...meanwhile we have to move our stuff out of the barn and put it=========????????? I have no idea...I put a few tarps over my seedling greenhouse and been moving boxes over here a little at a time and putting them on pallet tables.

Anywho======my life is not in shambles like it is for others but still have to work out the kinks.

and the second story floor is 99.99 percent complete.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8563315

forgot to post the pic

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8563327

and i manage to get myself close enough to the edge to take a picture of the grow beds below.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8563917

IF I had been brave enough to go up there, I'd been on my belly to get that close to the edge! LOL Your garden area is beautiful!
Mountaindweller
Dolan Springs, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8564393

I second that!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8564610

Very attractive! Now we see why you wanted a second floor. LOL

I couldn't do the upstairs when it is open either. I guess it is vertigo but feel like I am pitching forward. I get on the roof of our house with a leaf blower and dare not get close to the edges. I also don't look anywhere but where my feet are. It is the only way I can do that so am sympathetic.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8565645

I can get on a roof too but have to stay away from the edge. When we built the second story deck on the previous home it had two purposes--------so i could look over all my stupidity and so i could get on the roof to cool seal it cause I can go up a ladder but I have a problem leaving the roof back to the ladder.
I can handle roller coasters too ===barely the ones that are 200 ft high. But I cannot handle going from a roof to a ladder.

Hubby got a few big jobs to do in the next three weeks. He has to paint the inside of a small house and paint a nice size medical clinic. It may slow down the gambrel roof construction. Sad and Glad. It's gonna slow us down and we gotta pay a few bills and the extra cash would be nice on the house.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8565666

oh-----and sadly I wont be able to see the garden from the second floor after we get the gambrel roof on. The upstairs will only have two windows and they will be on each end. The garden is in the back yard but I will be able to view it from my bathroom window and the laundry room window and the back door with a window will lead out into the center of it all.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8565838

Hmmm.. same here on getting back on the ladder. Seems a common malady. I'll leave the roller coasters to you though, my dear. Motion sickness here, I can't even read in a moving vehicle.

I look forward to seeing your home as it progresses.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8568779

What beautiful gardens Cricket! And your home is coming along so well. Thank you so much for sharing the ups and the downs. It's not something I would try alone, so I am enjoying your dedication and work - and eventually your deep personal satisfaction at a job well done - vicariously :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8573865

Just found this thread. Great job! It must be very satisfying. Love your growing beds. Must take a lot of dirt to fill them.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8574451

Thanks for the nice comments on the grow beds and the home construction. I grow a lot of tomatoes in 4 gallon pots and at the end of the season I save the used soil and make a new grow bed. the next year I use new soil for the tomatoes. Works like rotation.

I am very happy and it is very satisfying when you complete a portion of home construction. I was so depressed in that new/used mobile home. I had to get rid of it to gain my sanity back. I was never depressed in the mobile that burned down. I was at home ==so it had nothing to do with it being a mobile home===it had everything to do with feeling at home. But we also did a lot of room additions to the burned home.

After we get the gambrel roof on and the roof over the office and get the roofing felt on the roofs, i will be broke.
It has taken nearly all of my yearly income from the greenhouse business (plant sales) to build the structure framing.
The rest will have to be put together with hubbys income and the tomato produce income. We have 4 months to get it dried in well enough to hold heat during the winter. (still gotta buy a wood burning stove)... and lots of electric blankets... I hope we get it done.

This message was edited May 19, 2011 5:06 PM
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8575086

I have faith that you will. You guys are going like gang busters!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8575218

Cricket ~ I am so impressed that you have been able to purchase the majority of the building materials from your greenhouse income. There is nothing cheap about building materials these days.

You are blessed to have been able to provide so well. Another good reason you should have an second story if you want it.

All will work out for you and yours as it is needed.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8576767

podster==you aint kidding. wood is expensive. The shingles are gonna cost me an arm and a leg too. Dunno how I am gonna walk after the roof is complete.

I am so anxious to move in...i put my iron lawn table and chairs in the dinning room area. Put a vase of flowers on the table(fresh cut from my garden) and set up a fan on extension cord. I don't even have wall covering yet. LOL OLOLOLOL. I am already planning to put a phone jack in so I don't have to sit in the OVEN to use the computer.
Already trying to figure out how I can sleep in there as soon as hubby gets the roof up with felt on...with no wall covering. I just need a roof. hm. If I had a few tarps!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know=======I figured it out sitting here. I have commercial ground cover. it is black and it is 12 feet wide. I can make ground cover wall covering in the bedroom area and put my bed in there... I just got excited.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8576823

Cricket ~ if you put the bed upstairs, you shouldn't be bothered with mosquitos. A friend built what he calls his tree house. The ground floor is a garage and workshop. The second story is under a roof but open sides. He says it is delightful, there is always a breeze and no bugs. They sleep up there on nice nights. I know you are anxious and impatient but it will be well worth the work and the wait.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8576871

I can hear your wheels turning. LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8578176

LOL I wouldn't even bother with the wall covering, unless you're going to have fiberglass insulation in place. Keep it simple, so there's nothing to have to move when you're ready to throw up the drywall.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8579013

The interior and exterior walls will be wood siding and using R-30? insulation. What ever the standard wall insulation is.
The ceiling will be 1/4 inch Plywood with wood trim on all seams with a few coats of polyurethane. Plywood has a pretty wood grain.
Everything will be wood..

Charles got all the wood for the gambrel roof yesterday. Between and not counting all the distractions, it took about 3 hours to figure out the gambrel angles. Then a few hours to cut half of the wood and place it on the 2nd floor.
The gambrel angles were figured out by laying the 2x6s on the floor===measuring the maximum height needed= then measuring over from the edge of the floor at the point we wanted the first rib height. We have never built a gambrel roof before and we are not math experts so the angles were hard to figure but finally got it after wasting 8 2x6s. Then the design of the gambrel frame was drawn out on the floor== a pattern= so we could lay each gambrel truss in the pattern and nail them together and place the gussets where they go.
Today we cut the other half of the wood and the gussets.
Gussets are small pieces of plywood cut to fit the shape of each rib seam(joint) and ribs being the 2x6s.

I can take pictures of putting it together for better details.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8579031

Better yet= here is a good head start on details.
I took a picture of a diagram that was in a book.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8581647

A Gusset= made of OSB board. One attached to each side.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8587330

I get faint= kinda off balance when i get near the edge of the second floor. I tried to stand one of the gambrel roof ribs up but I couldn't do it-= mentally. Some how I have to get over it= get past it so I can help my husband put the roof together.
Our brother/law stood up there with charles and even he wouldnt touch the edge.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8587528

It's shaped like a barn! One of my favorite buildings.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2011

Post #8588181

Cool pic!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8588380

Are the storms affecting your progress?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8588642

thanks

No. The storms are not effecting our progress. Finding someone to help with the end of the roof is slowing us down.
The weekend may be promising. Most folks work during the week and can't help.. Will most likely have to pay for the help.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8589909

Hope you get it done quickly and it doesn't cost a lot. Glad the weather is not hindering you. A tree fell on our garage but no damage to the building. Took out some of my raspberries. :(
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8590282

oh no- so sorry. Glad it didnt damage your garage or fall on your house. Still makes a huge mess to clean.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8590444

We are hoping somebody will come cut it up for firewood for winter. If I had a chain saw I'd do it myself. I don't have a wood burning stove or a fireplace but I'd like to have it for a firepit in fall and winter.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8597347

Cricket, it is always such a delight to check in here and see your progress :) I am so impressed! It is what my husband and I had planned at one time prior to his unexpected and early death, so it is very comforting to see others doing it.

Thanks so much for keeping us updated and sharing the photos and thoughts along the way; it is a pleasure to read.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8606529

gee= had to put my puter in the shop. been gone longer than i realized.

sitting here wondering what todays date is...ug

ok...made a few mistakes on the gambrel construction.
Its kinda funny and kinda not.====mostly stupidity.

we had drawn out the gambrel truss pattern on the floor and made the first truss.
Then hubby thinks===i can just put these things together without the pattern. the wood is cut to fit...
Then he puts the three gambrel trusses up that he built without the pattern design on the floor.
I said=====um====you're suppose to use the pattern so they all come out the same.
He said, they are the same. So we got a level and checked them out and they were NOT the same.
I said=======SEEEEEEEEEEE, I told you so.
So he made the pattern on the floor a JIG.= meaning he nail some boards to the outside of the pattern
to make sure none of the ribs got out of sorts while assembling them. Put many gambrel trusses up while telling ourselves that we should really redo those other three so they are all alike. Dreadfull thought.
Anyway= hubby been busy working so I been putting the gambrel trusses together. I built 9 of them all by my self. It wasn't hard, just very hot outside and very time consuming. We needed some more
spacers (used to make sure the space between each truss is the same and suppose to put each truss on 2ft center and used in the structure of tieing the trusses together.)
So- i figured what I had to cut my spacers at and thought i would double check myself by comparing to his spacers and OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGG. HIs were the wrong lengths. I called him and asked if he knew how to add. He didn't believe that his measurement was wrong=====but yep===his was wrong. Big huge sad Sigh===we had to take allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll (11) the trusses down and replace them but at the same time we rebuilt those other three that he did wrong to begin with. I think we are on the right path now.
Now===while this is all happening he ended up with a pimple on his face that got infected=====staph infection===but not the kind that is contagious. He has had 4 antibiotic shots in the past 3 days and two antibiotic prescriptions plus he is already on a blood thinner and a blood declotigent. I don't know how to spell it==it keeps his blood from clotting up. So he has to see the doc every day to get his blood checked to make sure the antibiotics do not interfere with his blood meds and he is not allow to be in the sun for a prolonged amount of time due to the antibiotic he is taking...
I love my husband and he is not a dumb man and not a lazy man but sometimes he doesn't think thoroughly and not just recently but all the time...for years. I have always had to double check what ever it is he is doing and or make better suggestions. I think his brain gets in a hurry to do something and I have to tell him to slow down and think.
I am not without fault====My brain gets in a hurry sometimes too.

We decided not to make the office roof a lean two roof but making it a gambrel roof also that ties into the main gambrel roof structure. That should be loads of fun.
AT this point, we have to finish building the rest of the trusses before we put them up because the pattern is on the floor and in the way of putting the trusses up comfortably. We have 6 trusses built and ready, 5 more to build. Then 5 to build for the office and tieing that into the main roof.

current pic

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8606546

oh=forgot to mention== it is soooooo hot in the shed that I have moved into the house= kinda sorta. My bed is in my bedroom with a chester drawers and a tv with satelite. That is also where my phone and puter are at. I put a tarp on the inside of the bedroom walls to block the front yard view and oncoming traffic. My bedroom is still open to the back yard view. It's redneck==but== what can i say. We also put my sons bed in the livingroom area and he has a tv and game system set up in there. No rain in the forecast at the moment. We better hurry up and get the roof sheeting and felt on ====HURRY equals mistakes.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8606603

Despite unpleasant setbacks, the building is looking great, Cricket.

Watch that infection closely and follow doctor's orders!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8606720

Yep= hubby just got back from todays doc visit. Got two more anti shots. (6 total)

Thank you darius
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8606739

The construction is looking excellent !!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8606768

Wonderful progress! You'll be ready to batten down the hatches by the time winter arrives.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8609602

Lots of progress and food for the memory mill. :)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8610427

thanks everyone. It is hard finding time to post. I'm either working , doing chores, cooking, laundry or very tired.

the main gambrel roof structure is 90 percent complete. I have to figure out my overhang and construct those then it's ready for the OSB sheeting.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8610454

front view.

remember= there will be a screened in porch to the right end of the house= One of these days= which will reach the end of the existing deck = eventually.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8611015

I am more impressed with each post and pic!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8612943

thanks Cajun

We decided to construct the over hang later and get the OSB board on the roof with some Felt. We had an evening rain shower yesterday and it flooded the floors. Since our bedroom furniture is in the house= we had to do some plastic covering. Took me a couple hours to sweep the water off the floors.

One of these days I will slow down enough to visit other forums.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8613332

LOL, I love to read your postings Cricket :) They are inspiring and funny. Your home is coming along beautifully! I am so proud of ya'll :D
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8622150

Thank you Hineni=

I had to take my puter back to the shop= maybe i can keep it a while this time.

It rained again= got flooded again= swept the floors for 2 hours again.=======ug.
Gotta love those evening showers.

The great news is= The main roof structure is covered with OSB and covered with felt. We still have to put the office gambrel roof together and get overhang around the house. Without the overhang, the rain pours off the roof and down the sides of the bare walls and into the house= flooding the floors. I been cutting the wood for the overhang and nailing it up. It seems that everyone that has a fully constructed roof is not getting any rain. : /

P.S.
No, I did not climb the scaffles. No way= not me.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2011 10:18 AM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8622173

view inside upstairs.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8622188

That's going to be lovely, Cricket. Love the spaciousness upstairs!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8623136

You guys are really making progress. Will the 2nd story be one big room?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8623523

The second story will have a bedroom 12x20, a bath 8x14, and the rest will be open . Open space 20x22 plus 9x14 on one side of the stairs.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8623558

I think the office gambrel roof would of looked better if the ridge was a little higher up but = it is what it is.
I would have a hard time cleaning if it were any higher. The office gambrel roof/ceiling will be open with a ceiling fan.
I am pondering on making two octagon windows for the front of the office in the gable section of the gambrel roof.
hope that made sense.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8623613

You might want to think about some kind of operable opening (or window) in the peak of the gable. Opening it in warm weather could give you a good convective flow to keep the room cooler, at least until temps are high enough to require AC.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8623815

You make windows?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8624000

Yes, I can make wooden framed windows. It's old fashioned but can be done. I want to make the octagon wood framed windows with a side hinge that swings open to the inside with weather stripping on the outside and a screen on the outside of the window. You can do any wooden old style window this way.

After the main window frame is made, you then cut and make a frame for the actual glass to set in. Take the frame to the glass company and they cut it to fit. Take it home, set your glass using wood trim and window glazing. Hinge it==you're ready to go.

I am still pondering on the idea. Gonna take a few days.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 11, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8624036

How cool!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8625688

I'm a bit of an underachiever in such areas. I'd likely put visquine in the holes. LOL
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8629993

Cajun, you cracked me up with that one-liner...hahahahaha!

Cricket, your skill set expands each week. You and your hubby make a fine team :)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8631605

It seems the USB cord on my camera has malfunctioned. No pictures until I get a new cord.

Update is= The office roof is dried in with overhang , osb sheeting, and felt.
I put on the aluminum coil stock around most of the rat seal band at the bottom of the house so that wood is not
exposed to weather=rain.
Hubby framed in the dinning room window yesterday while I framed in the kitchen sink window.
We decided to put Black Board Insulation on the outer walls before we put on the outer siding cause we
are low on cash and winter always has low income and not sure if we will have the funds for all the interior wall insulation.
We wanted the wood siding but we were told that the Masonite Siding would last longer. We bought the
Redwood Grain Masonite Siding. The inside will have the real wood siding later. I started putting black board insulation on the outer walls yesterday evening and hubby helped when he got home last night. We were hanging black board til 10pm.
1/3 of the black board is up. I have to frame in 2 more windows today so we can put up more board insulation
before the severe weather comes through tonight. I do not want to mop and sweep water for hours.

Colors have been chosen. They're not doll house colors= they are country barn colors.
Iced Tea for the main structure and Oyster which is off white for the trim and shutters

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 15, 2011

Post #8631896

I am very impressed with your progress!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8632339

Amazing how fast the house is taking shape.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8633304

Went to Wallie World and got a usb cord.
Everyone is saying it is going up quick, but I guess as the builders, it is slow to us. Plus we are desperate to be in it so it feels like it is taking forever. I worked my rear end off this week.

Last night I had taken a few pictures= in the dark.
The office at the end of the deck will have a door sometime next spring. For now we have already covered the
door way with insulation.
My table top garden bed on the deck was used for a tool and trash collect all soon after the snow peas were
through producing. :/

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8633330

a sneak preview inside= kitchen area
It will be a long kitchen. Already have 2 six foot oak base cabinets that will go down that wall
with a stove between the two bases and the Refrig on the far end past the kitchen sink window.
On the other side of the frig on the end wall will be ceiling to floor oak wall cabinets that wrap around
next to the stair case.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8633342

the dining room window is now in place but is not in the picture.

all the windows are off white except for the kitchen sink window which is dark brown.

(we still have to lower the deck)

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8638196

Good job! It will be "home" in no time.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8638554

Folks think that my office on front of the house is the entry to my house.
I can see how that might confuse someone.

The front door is in place at the end of the house.
My dinning room table is in the house.(6ft oak= old traditional lion claw legs)
This dinette survived the fire but has some fire retardant chemical damage. not bad.
When the fire department was putting out the fire, they sprayed some kind of stuff that would prevent
the fire from spreading and that is the stuff on the dinette. I got most of it off.

That don't seem like much but= It makes it seems more homey.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8638564

Instead of sitting here taking a break, I should be out measuring and cutting the insulation black board for the eve of the office.

A whole front view of the House.
(note: There is a Mimosa tree and Variegated Cane in front of the deck. The cane will be dug up and move and the Mimosa stays)

excuse the mess

This message was edited Jun 18, 2011 1:11 PM

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8640595

I have that exact same set!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 22, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8647366

Wow, You have a nice read also, im impressed . very well done and ill have to keep a closer eye on this thread also ..
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8651092

Thanks Freedom.

CajunKy= I noticed that this dinette had a very thin coat of varnish/polyurethane when I bought it and I noticed that others who had the same dinette was loosing their finish coat after a few years. When I bought mine, I put two extra coats of polyurethane on it and if I had not, the finish coat would of been ruined in the fire. Thanks to those two extra coats, I was able to save its appearance. This winter when I am bored, I will lightly sand it and give it two more coats.
I want to buy some extra chairs like those cause 1. my daughter law rested her feet on the little leg rails and broke one.
2. I also saved a Secretary Desk that has the same lion claw legs and I think it needs a chair like the dinette set has. 3. One of the chairs that was in the fire still has a lot of the chemical retardant on it that I was not able to remove completely. That chemical looks white on the finish surface. Unless=== there is one chemical I have not tried using on the dinette and thats Denatured Alcohol. I used it on the Secretary Desk and it almost made it look brand new. There was colored card stock paper on the desk and when it got wet, the paper stuck to the desk and there was dark pink squares on the desk surface that I could not remove with any cleaners.. Denatured Alcohol cleaned it without hurting the finish. hmmmmmmm. forgot about that until now. (chatting helps you think)

We haven't got much done lately. Been spending money on Bills=catching those up. We still haven't got the upstairs End walls up yet but hubby says he will work on them this evening.

I will eventually put octagon windows in the office. I have one frame cut. Used 2x6s to make up for the outside insulation board and siding thickness. 8 boards were cut at 9 inches long and each of those 8 boards have a 22.5 degree angle cut on each end. How did I figure that out without reading a book? Well, The octagon is like putting together two perfect squares. When cutting angles to put together a perfect square you use a 45 degree angle.
Since this was two squares I thought maybe I should divide my degree in half(divided by 2) and I got it right.
I will use Liquid Nail to put the boards together perfectly then let that dry then nail them together. Liquid Nail helps me position them perfectly before nailing. It's very aggravating to nail something like this with so many pieces. If you get one piece wrong , it's heck removing the nail and repositioning it. But , using liquid nail means I need a level surface, secret hiding place away from children and dogs.

Everyone knows what an octagon looks like but I still had to take a picture. These are just sitting in place = not connected yet.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8651795

It must be so nice to have skills. I just kinda stumble through things and get lucky every now and again.

I made the stupid mistake of sitting a bottle of Mean Grren cleaner on my table and forgetting it when I went to do something else. I now have a white ring on the table clear down to the wood. So I fixed it by keeping a table cloth over it. LOL Works for me.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8652880

I am so amazed at how quickly and wonderfully your place is going up! Takes me two weeks to get the screen door back on the track...lol! So proud of ya'll... :D
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8655794

Thank you so much Hineni

Cajun , that Mean Green really is some mean stuff. And so is Grease Lightening. I would lightly sand the surface where the finish was damaged with 220 grit sand paper, stain it with Golden Oak stain, Polyurethane, sand with cardboard and polyurethane again. For those who didn't know it, You can take cardboard and strip the paper off one side of the cardboard til you see the ribbed surface and use it as a very mild sand paper for a smoother finish.

Been a painter half my life and have stripped and finished antique furniture during parts of my life. Makes doing things at home easy by knowing how. Love to paint.

Hubby found some time to frame in the upstairs end walls. I just watched with a beating heart. He scares me on those tall ladders and I wouldn't go near the edge until it was framed. Then I helped him set the window.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8655811

Insulation board / window in

The sky and clouds were so picture perfect purdy that it looks fake.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8655824

The end walls are double framed.
Seems to be very sturdy.

Last night= the end to a very hot day with many more to come.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 26, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8656338

beautiful ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8656739

Girl, it's gonna be a real house in no time!!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011

Post #8657177

All I am doing today is cutting wood for the overhang. Most of it is cut already. We had put it to the side to get the insulation board on. It rained yesterday. No leaks. What a relief. Watched the storm roll in from the upstairs window. Pretty.
My lawn chores are falling behind. I need to catch up on all chores.
I am working on getting my Kitchen moved from the shed to the house...I won't have hot water right away but I know
how to heat water on a stove.
Funds are low. Gotta save up $1900 for the roof shingles and labor expense. Things will be very slow going around here from now on. Of course , we have the siding already. Will put that on after the overhang is finished.

upstairs= end wall

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 27, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8657517

Very Nice ... nothing like building your own home..
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8660333

Will it be paid for as you go?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8661771

The house itself has no loan. Paid as we go. But= we owe on the land. 10 acres. Should be paid for in about 4 years. So if something happens financially and unable to pay for the land then we loose the house. Scary but no different than it would be if we owed on all of it.

If it came down to loosing it all , we would sell it first.

Plus, Part of the 10 acres is divided. 1 1/2 acres of that has a clear deed that the greenhouse business sits on.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 8:02 AM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011

Post #8661793

I have a brave husband. He is my hero. There is no way I would climb up there and do what he is doing.

Overhang construction

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011

Post #8661808

I can't stand a microwave taking up my lovely counter space. I like empty counter space. Nice and neat.
We built the microwave space into the wall under the stair case. Stairs next to kitchen.
For now, the box is lined with OSB but later it will be lined with Oak to match the kitchen cabinets.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8663643

The stove is in the kitchen and working. The refrigerator is in the kitchen and working. One 6 foot base cabinet is in the kitchen and it has all my canned tomtoes in it plus other canned goods. Coffee pot is set up too. The first meal prepared in the new house was======nasty fried hot dogs. Yuck
Bought plumbing supplies yesterday and a new bathtub with new shower wall Kit for the master bath.
Working on Plumbing and getting the kitchen sink in today. Some electrical.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 30, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8663698

LOL @ nasty fried hot dogs ... food is just fuel for the machine, some just taste better than others ...
Coming along great, one never know exactly how much work goes into building something untill they do it themselves
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8663731

I could never do it but I sure am enjoying this thread.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8664046

Dunno if I mentioned it before or not=====I had a big leather sectional in my previous home and I was making payments on it. It was going to be too big for the new house livingroom so I asked the furniture store If I could exchange it for something that would fit in new house that I was going to build...in addition to that I also needed them to hold it for me until I got the house built enough to have it delivered. They said they had never taken furniture back before in exchange for something else====but since I have spent over $10,000 in the past few years at their store , they would do it for me=====first time they ever did it. So==I had picked out 2 leather double reclining love seats. The kind that has those bronzey buttons on the front of the arms. I been paying on them for almost 5 months ==waiting impatiently to say Deliver. They deliver tomorrow morning and I am soooooooooooooo ready to sit on a couch and relax.
Hubby will be out for a few hours helping someone else= while I get the living room ready for furniture and cut wood for the overhangs.===and some laundry===and some dishes...Life is a never ending story. I beg for boredom.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 30, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8664379

Boredom ? wuts dat ? hahaaa
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8667166

So glad you found favor with the store.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8667540

Wish I could buy the rest of the cabinets I want for the kitchen. I have to put my Wants in my back pocket and work on the more important things.

This is the basic setup for the kitchen...for now.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8667547

in the future, the kitchen will have one more 6 ft base cabinet that comes out as an island that separates the kitchen from the dining area. and lots of wall cabinets. Using a china hutch for the dishes until I get the wall cabinets.
Also , Sink counter top is temporary. Haven't decided on permanent counter top yet.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8667610

there is cold water to the sink. Setting up the hot water today,
setting in a toilet today.

Bath/shower set in place waiting on plumbing. Bath tub= 5 ft long, 32 inches wide, 18 inches deep.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8667638

a comfy place to sit.
Behind the love seats will be a Half Wall with support beams to the ceiling/ that will support the 2nd floor.
We wanted the livingroom furniture in place so we would know how high up we had to construct the half wall.

in addition to the half wall ==in the future===there will be 3 5ft wall cabinets that actually sit on the floor with an
oak counter top. The cabinets will only be a foot deep====a 1ft X 15ft counter top or some would call it a Catch All.
That counter will display Amber dishware and candy dishes.(turkey, chicken. rooster, etc...) let me take a pic and show you.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 7:34 AM

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 2, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8667643

way kewl design on you kitchen .. i likes it
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8667653

some Amber

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8667678

Thank you freedom. What is there now is nothing to compare to the future. The microwave that is set in the wall under the stairs will have a 16 inch X 10 ft counter top on the wall below the microwave===the counter top will also sit on wall cabinets that sit on the floor.

This pic are Some Amber serving or fruit bowls===the bowls are shaped like grapes and the bottom has the impression of grapes.
I don't have a pic of some serving plates that are amber with 3 impressions of Shrimp on the bottom = made in India..

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011

Post #8667901

Lookin' good! It would be dangerous for me to have my sink that close to the stove. I am sloppy. LOL
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8684648

Hot water being installed today. Running water ran to bath. Already have a working Toilet.
Hubby gone shopping for Turbans? to install on the roof to pull heat out of the second story.
Up until now- we had temp power ran out to a power pole that was used for a mobile home.
Now hubby has installed a breaker box inside, located in the office. Now that breaker box is temporarily
hooked into the power pole box outside. Our Energy Company will not hook directly to the house until
the inside is completely finished.

The day is finally cooling off and I am off to hammer something.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8684669

Hey, having hot water is a great milestone!!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 10, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8684713

dontya just love progress
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8684757

I am so excited for you guys. Can't wait for more pics!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8685105

the only new pictures I could take was all the plumbing and that might be kinda boring.

Everything is so slow right now. Hubby working away from home and only works on the house
about an hour each evening and most of Sundays.
Most of the overhang has been constructed except for the really high parts. It really does take an
act of congress for hubby to set up the long extension ladders and set up the heavy walk boards. He does
it by himself cause I absolutely refuse to climb up there...Heck No. Plus = since I was yelling for hot water, he had to stop the overhang construction and make me smile by HOOKing up the bathtub plumbing.
No hot water to the kitchen yet but I can take a cool shower tonight. Cold is too cold.
And we can't put the outside siding on the house until we finish that crazy overhang...
After the siding goes up,,,I can paint. no I haven't decided completely what color to paint it.
I had a few ideas and changed my mind...Its a hard decision to make. sigh.
I did decide that it has to be light colors cause ===it's really hot in here with that black board out there so maybe I should cool it off some. The siding already has a primer on it. Light Gray.
Hubby once suggested a gray with maroon shutters.
I am thinking about it. The great thing about paint is=====You can always change it.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2011
2:53 AM

Post #8685263

Love your house!
On the paint colors: I was told that light blue, white and yellow attract bugs; so don't paint it those colors. Grey w/maroon sounds nice.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8685566

I always liked sand with dark green or blue shutters. Makes a nice background for any flowers, ect. Gray would be nice too.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8688438

And the Final Decision is=============A sandy creamy color for the house.
And Do-Da-Bounce Dance cause we have Shingles for the roof thanks to a \
low fixed interest credit card...I said I would never use another credit card
but========never say never. Hurricane season is near====We need to get shingles on
this house. The small windy thunderstorms keep tearing up the roofing felt. Nothing major =yet.
Hubby will finish the over hang this week==by Friday. The roofer should be out Saturday.
I will be taking pictures this week.

And= I now have steel doors for the office and the back door===gotta find time to install.

And hubby is out buying a One Room Air Conditioner before I have a heat stroke. Our son
will have to sleep on a pallet in our bedroom so he can be comfy at night too. It was still 85 degrees last night
at 11pm. The heat index right now at 2:30 pm is 110. If it feels like 110, then it is 110.
The turbans on the roof are moving so fast that you can't tell they are moving.

I hear a thunderstorm approaching.

Later.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8688983

Heat saps the energy right out of you. I am so glad things are moving forward for you. Looking forward to the pics. We are having a storm right now.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8693764

Thanks everyone - for being here with me and following along with our construction adventure.

Gosh= it took a few days to actually get hot water. After we moved and hooked up the hot water heater, it decided not to work.
The hot water tank had a warranty on it so hubby called around trying to get it fixed. It turned out that we would still have to pay to have it fixed but would be reimbursed after a Load of Red Tape Paper Work. Forget the paper work= we need hot water now. The plumber told hubby what to do and it turns out that the plumber was wrong...Anyway. Hubby ended up replacing everything==the heating elements and the thermostats. Now we have hot water in the bath. No hot water line to the kitchen yet...sigh.
The electrical has been ran for the Washer and Dryer and I was able to do laundry all day long yesterday.:)
The electrical has been ran for the Microwave and a few more outlets for the kitchen...no more extension cords for the coffee pot...

The roofer has to go out of town this weekend so the roof is delayed but hopefully no more than a week. Sigh again.

forgot to mention the roof shingle color= which also helped decide the color of the house. The shingles are Golden Cedar. That's the lightest I could get it for the roof= hoping it won't be too hot.

Our bed was set up on concrete blocks for months and months cause the headboard wouldn't fit in the shed with our sons bunk bed above us. Then when we moved into the house we kept the bed on blocks cause we didn't want the bed frame legs to get wet when the floors flooded during rain and no walls ==etc... We are moving and putting the bed frame together this evening. I know thats not exciting = but = I am impatiently waiting for it. We don't have interior wall covering yet. The pillows keep rubbing againts that black board insulation ==itchy pillows.

The bathroom. This is a very important Room. lol
I don't have a bath sink yet. Don't know when I will have one. I was standing in the corner
where the sink goes when I took the picture. Just an average bathroom.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8694233

I'd not miss this adventure for anything. I am so glad for you that things are getting done.

I have never seen shingles other than black or brown unless they were wooden.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8694505

the shingles are the regular tar shingles= Home Depot sells different colors. Even green.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8694947

Well, that's a new one on me. Is shingles cheaper than metal?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 15, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8695101

Metal is quite expensive - but it lasts virtually forever.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8695763

I love the copper colored metal. I have only seen it on cabins in the Smokies.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8696403

There are different grades of metal. Forgot how many. I figured it was going to cost about the same for the metal but I much prefer shingles. We did get the 25 year warranty shingles.

Back door has been installed. No screen door yet. Hubby will install the office door in the morning. He has a hurt ankle. A ladder fell and hit his ankle. (while at a customers home painting) So= unable to finish the overhang/carnish til his ankle is better.

Moved my bed frame and the secretary desk that was saved out of the fire.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 16, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8696883

Beautiful desk!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 17, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8698026

Wow .. beautiful wood ..
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8711743

thanks for the comments on the desk. I lost many things==but was so excited when I was able to save that desk.
It costed a pretty penny too.

Things are moving along so slowly...I been calling my husband a Jumping Jack Rabbit cause he won't complete
one project at a time. But what he's really doing is==doing what he feels like at the moment depending on body illness...or medications... He works a little on the roof over hang one day, then works on the siding the next, then back to the over hang,,,then electrical, then he goes fishing, then he goes to work elsewhere, then he works on the roof again. I asked him to HOLD still please. I think we might actually finish the over hang tomorrow. And he decided to put the roof shingles on himself. He won't get any help form me on that one...I aint going up there.

The main door entry is on the West end of the house and when it rains , it floods the door way floor. Crud...There will be a porch on that end of the house one of these days but until then we have to construct an awning of some sort the keep the rain out...sigh.

No pictures yet===I was waiting for something to be completed or at least look like it was.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2011
2:39 AM

Post #8711909

Husbands! Jumping Jack Rabbit is a good nickname for some of them, lol! At least he is getting a lot done (in his piece-meal way). It is hard to get much done in this heat...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8723432

Remember= we still have to lower the 48ft deck===even to get the siding on. My Jumping Jack Rabbit Husband still hasn't finished the over hang on the house. While he was working on it, I just said out loud, "" I will be soooo happy when the deck finally gets lowered. I been waiting for that to happen for a long time. "" What does hubby do.?... He stops working on the over hang and starts lowering the deck. I didn't say anything. I was just watching.

The last 16ft of the deck was cut loose so he could lower the deck easier. The 32 ft section is not completely lowered or leveled yet. The 16ft section was cut into 2 eight foot sections so we could move it manually around the corner to the end of the house where the main door is at. There is another 8ft deck out back that had been removed months and months ago that will complete the corner at the end of the deck. The corner of the deck will be cut to form an angle as you turn the corner=====hope that made sense.

Since we had to lower the deck, 12 inches, I now have to remove the top layer of concrete blocks on the front steps. Which were not cemented together either====I had put them together with Liquid Nail...lol redneck cement.
Here is the current Mess.= Deck reconstruction.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 1:47 PM

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8732044

You guys are so awesome! And in the middle of all this, you have your veggies/flowers growing! When everything is done, you can throw a big DG party. I'll bring meat for the BBQ!! Janet in Houston
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8732151

Thank You bariolio. Yes= must have veggies and flowers no matter what. I would be a very sad person without my veggie ventures. Considering the fact that I do have a greenhouse nursery business= My life revolves around veggie gardening and trying to make it easier to garden due to severe arthritis. Many days during the week, I am unable to stoop down and unable to bend over for a long period of time. I made sure I had a private door coming out of my little office onto my deck. My deck will eventually have Table Top Gardens Down both sides. I have all the tables that I need to finish building the table top gardens and already have 4 table top gardens like the one in the picture above and below.

My brain is hyper and goes off into hundred directions like a spider web.=====trying to explain the construction and why.

Picture of Deck with one Table Top Garden=== also this pic is from today which was only 4 days after the last picture and the squash plants are growing like weeds. And the pic has a table that will be made into a table top garden with a 6 inch ledge on the front for laying garden tools on---------no binding over or hunting for tools while I Play.

Excuse all messes=====everything under construction
edit= the boards coming off the side of the table top garden was to keep the table from falling over while hubby lowered the deck.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 12:42 PM

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8732161

Just wanted to save the work you and your husband are doing is amazing!! I have following along this thread since you first posted and I am in awe of your home!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8732174

The deck has been lowered but still has to be leveled. You will most likely notice unlevel areas in the photos.

This pic is of= where we cut the 16ft portion of the 48ft deck off and put it on the end of the house where the main door is at...still have to fill in that gap with a triangle corner.

another pic coming up

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 12:57 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8732207

This pic is of end of end of house at main door...the 16ft deck in place=

again= excuse the mess

and one more pic after this

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8732226

I have dial up. while my pictures load, I am off doing chores.

This pic= back side of some of the house that has some siding on it. I want that deck to wrap around and go past the back door.
Also= pic of my other table top gardens. It use to have potatoes growing in there but I pulled them all up and sowed carrot seeds this past week. And there are 2 crookneck squash plants in there too. Eventually- the table gardens go on the deck. And watered that squash plant while pictures were loading.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8732236

Would you like to see who you been chatting with.

Me= 41 years old.
Hubby =43 years old.
AT the Birmingham Zoo March 2011

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8732243

Great picture of the two of you. I like your table top gardens. Do you treat the wood with anything?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8732259

Thank you Desert.
And Janet= bring on the meat. I'm hungry.

I was thrown a curve ball. I wanted a cast iron wood burning stove in the living room. Somebody gave me a fire place insert.
Now I am Pondering... scratching my head... sigh...i really want a cast iron stove.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8732263

I didn't treat the wood. The wood is already treated but I lined them with 6mil plastic and the plastic has holes where the holes are at in the bottom( 3/4 ply)

The newest table gardens are going to have 1x10s instead of 1x12s...not sure how it will work out .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8732313

Sell or trade the fireplace insert... 90% of the heat goes up the chimney.

Cast iron stoves radiate 90% of the heat into the living space... and you can cook on most of them in a power outage.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8732320

forgot i had taken two more photos while i was out watering

I took distant pics.

back

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8732329

thats a good idea darius====a friend gave us the insert. He does a lot of construction work and got it off a job. After we moved to this area 9 years ago, we now live far apart= 100 miles. I would hate to hurt their feelings but= I really like the idea of selling it and buying what i really want. I want a small cast iron in the office too to help heat our master bedroom and bath.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8732340

distant corner front view

porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 2, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8732351

I am very impressed with your accomplishments! Thanks for taking us along on your journey.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8732481

Everything looks great including the 2 of you. How long have you been using the table top garden method?

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8732610

You know. It doesn't matter if the house is 8000 sq. ft. or 800. You two are truly living your dream. Doing this work yourself. You know it will be a well made home and last the rest of your lives. You should be so proud! AND, it's adorable!! And I LOVE your table top gardens. I will definitely have these plans for my hubby's future... heh, heh.
Really sorry to hear about your arthritis. I was dx last year with inflammatory arthritis and have some other health issues cropping up. I know how hard it is to do anything some days.
And you're on for the party!! Maybe next year?!!
Take care of yourselves and have a great time. Janet :)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8732904

Cool to see the major progress you two have done! Very nice and what has your grandfather had to say lately? He should be very proud.

On the fireplace insert, I would agree with Darius. We have one at work and one in the living room area and one in our bedroom. They are o.k. and we have found a means to keep more heat in the room but the cast iron is far more efficient with far less wood consumption.

If you decide to keep the insert, place it about 18 to 22 inches above the floor level. That makes it easier to tend to, radiates the heat out into the room better and we have found when it is not on the floor level the cold air draft doesn't make the heat go up the chimney as freely so it is a bit more efficient. Just a thought.

What are you planning for flooring in the rooms with the heat?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8733243

Flooring around heater= I want to round up some River Rock. That may take more time than what I have. It will be rock of some sort just so it doesn't heat the floor and cause fires. The floor will first have that Backer board put down, then morter ,then the rock. I want it to be rustic. I been collecting a few antiques that I want hung on the walls behind a cast iron heater. The walls will have rock on them too==but only a couple of feet.

This was my first year growing in the Table Top Gardens. I've known about it for a long time. Just never took the time to make them. I have had arthritis in my knees for 22 years. The older I get the worse it gets. Knees lock up in the middle of the night while I am sleeping too. Severe pain level 10. Most of the time when I stoop down, I can't get back up. Hurts going down and hurts coming back up. I have to have help sometimes when I go grocery shopping cause I cannot stoop to the bottom shelf. And sometimes I cannot climb stairs. Somewhere along the way, my elbows started having problems too. Recently it has gotten worse. Hands and feet are minor. Arthritis in my back too for about 12 years. I thought my back hurt cause I worked too much but chiropractor said it was arthritis. I just take ibuprofen and keep going. I can't take Celebrex. If you have a bleeding disorder , you should not take Celebrex. I have a bleeding bladder and its been that way most of my life.

I just want to make my life more comfy. Table Top Gardens are great.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8733454

I have trouble getting back up after stooping down too. My arms are still a bit stronger than my legs. I can only take a bath if DH is home to help me out the tub. Otherwise I have to take a shower. I really like those gardens.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8734444

I am going to start a topic thread about Table Top Gardens in the Vegetable Gardening forum. It's a whole subject all by its little self and maybe others have done the same thing.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011

Post #8734484

That is a great idea.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8734663

Table Top Gardens thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1205112/
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8755580

bounce bounce.

look= shingles :)

porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 14, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8755584

Looking good!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8755888

Wow!!!!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 14, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8756219

awsome, now no more leaks
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8756294

Wonderful to be 'weather-tight'!
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8757497

Looks great!!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8758124

Thank You Thank You. Hubby gets all the credit. I just watched.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8767577

I bought an old used 2eye cast iron wood burning stove heater. It's got a little rust on it. It needs some cleaning done. Have to treat the cast iron with some stuff that i forgot the name of. I will take pictures of it tomorrow. It is still sitting in my truck. I couldn't wait to say something about it. It is a little smaller than what I would really like. I only paid $150 for it. It should handle 24 inch long logs. I was so excited to find someone who had one for sale. Can't make up my mind if I want to buy a bigger one for the living room and put that small one in my office or - what! It would be so very nice to have one in the office. It would heat our master bedroom at the same time. Hmmmmm.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 21, 2011

Post #8768329

sounds like a plan ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8769139

Your wheels are always turning. :)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8769319

I really love this channel.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8769320

Oh me too! Cricket, I've been following along & love your approach to things. So much talent & a way with words.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8769507

Thank You Thank You.

Here is my little heater. Hubby is afraid that it's design will let some smoke out into the room through the eye covers. That is a scary thought.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8770306

Cricket ~ tell him not to worry. I have a one eye that we put in the GH. I worried as the smoke could kill plants. It has never, never, ever smoked back into the room. DH put two 90s in the pipe and it still draws well. On the bottom of the front lip or on the door, there should be a draft door which controls how quickly it burns and prevents any chance of smoking back into the room.

OTOH, our prefab fireplaces will smoke back if they are not hot enough to draw or if the wind is wrong or if the barometric pressure drops or if the sun comes up... lol I hate that and after a year of using the box heater in the GH, I said I wished we had put a large one of the box heaters in the house. I could also cook on it and always keep a kettle of water to add humidity to the air. Not so on the fireplace.

You will love that treasure!

Isn't what you use called stove black?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2011

Post #8770367

The front door should have a gasket around it. I replace mine (wide, double doors) every couple of years; costs me under $20 for the materials at Lowe's or HD, but it's worth it because I don't have as much angle to the stovepipe as I'd like and it can smoke lightly until the fire gets hot enough.

I re-black my stove every year. Dirty job but always looks nice when I'm finished!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8770446

stove black sounds right...I was told that there is only one store in our town that sells it. This stove is so old. I was looking for the indention on the door where most gaskets go but there is no indention for the gasket to set in.
I had a wood burning heater in my first greenhouse about 12 years ago. It had gaskets but the gaskets were bad and we didn't know it and I lost a lot of plants one night due to smoke. Ever since then, we always replaced the gaskets no matter what but there is no place to put a gasket on this heater. And= I haven't found a draft door on it either. We had a heater years ago that didn't have a draft door , so we just left the main door cracked enough to draw in the air and closed it before bedtime.
Hubby wants one of those cast iron wood/coal burners that has the metal box around it so the grandkids don't get hurt if they decided they just have to touch it. I forgot what the heater is called. I insisted that If we get one of those for the living room, the top has to raise up so I can cook on it. My mom had one like that most of my childhood life. We use to warm our clothes on the heater before we went to school. Burnt a few pair a blue jeans doing that too. A new stove like that would cost a big pretty gold penny. I might have a gold penny lying around here somewhere.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8770629

Cricket... I can cook on my woodstove and the top does not open. Well it actually does, but if I open it with a fire going, it smokes up the room in a heartbeat.

I bought mine used, 6 years ago. I'd love a new, more efficient Vermont Castings stove but I don't have a gold penny!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8772774

We have had several of the ones like your pic and have been happy with them. Ours did not have a draft door but the lip in front of the door lifted off allowing the draft of air to pass under the door. Never had any problem with smoke. None of ours of that model ever had a gasket.

We also had a big Ashley heater and loved it. Our son has it now. The fire box has a suround built in so you can touch it. It also has a thermostat and a blower. Very efficient heater.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8772976

Loved catching up on your progress! Way to go to you and your husband!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8775772

Hey MsRobin.Long time no see. How are you doing lately? And thanks for viewing our progress.
We haven't worked on the house lately. Hubby been building a barn roof for someone else. ($)
I have been bringing in shelves for the kitchen. It's going to be a while before I have cabinets. I insist on
having oak cabinets and they are a little pricey. I will be buying the unfinished cabinets and will sand, stain, and polyurethane them myself... I may not have cabinets until spring.==unless I manage to buy
at least one wall cabinet each month.==budget.

My step dad said that this little cast iron wood burner will get too hot for my office and bedroom. He said it will heat my whole house and that I should consider putting it in my living room. Worried about the grandbabies touching it. Maybe i should build a fence around the heating area===iron fence...im thinking about it. What do you think? Decisions Decisions. I would have to do some measuring. Not sure If I have enough space in front of the heater to completely close in the heating area.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2011

Post #8776350

We put something up around ours when the kids were little but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

A heater is only as hot as the size of the fire you build in it.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8777212

Here's one link I found. I googled "woodstove guards".
http://thelograck.com/wood_stove_child_safety_screen.html
If there's any place around you that sells new woodstove, maybe they have some.

I'm sure it won't be long before you have cabinets. Great idea getting shelves for the meantime. And you can always use them elsewhere later.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8777222

I prefer mostly open shelving in the kitchen, so don't rule that out going forward!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8807272

I got a few more shelves put in the kitchen. It makes things so much tidier. Hubby went to a flea market and bought me a large pot. It's stainless steel and about 1/4 inch thick. 6 inches deep, and 22 inches wide with heavy duty handles on each side. I have no idea what someone used that big thing for but its gotta be good for something. I checked to see if it would fit in my stove oven and it does. My stove oven is extra deep.

Hubby still putting shingles on the roof. Slowly but surely. It is about 75 % complete now. BIG ROOF
He hung my Amber chandelier that I saved from the fire. But he hasn't ran electricity to it yet. I need an over head light so badly. We have a light over the kitchen sink but thats all the lights we have right now. Will be taking pictures this week.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2011
10:25 PM

Post #8807626

So gald it's all coming together.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2011
3:48 AM

Post #8807719

Me too! It sounds nice!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8807909

One 12inch shelf board is used like a counter top for the coffee pot, cream, sugar, bread. Room to make a sandwich, and also where the micro wave is in the wall. The board was hard to keep clean. Liquids soak into the wood. I sanded all the shelving boards and put square floor tiles on them so they would be easy to clean and dust. The tiles have a wood floor design. The box of linoleum tiles costed $26. I almost used the whole box. You can give any wood shelf or table top of any sorts a nice clean finish or a different design easy with linoleum square tiles.
My grandfather built a bathroom sink in his home and used Linoleum to finish the wood on the sink top. Looks nice.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8807964

Hey Cricket...Great progress! Start a new thread, please? This one's getting hard to load for anyone on dial-up
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

September 22, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8820064

looking awsome cricket
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8831973

How are things going? Are you moved in yet?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

October 3, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8834334

Everything is looking good, winter will be here before you know it
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8836803

Bite yore tongue, Man!!! LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

October 5, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8837702

Yes Mam Cajun .. hahaa
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8846386

Leaves are changing and falling here pretty quick. Rained all night last night.
cmread
Ocilla, GA

November 14, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8889685

Where did this thread go? I am new here and started reading cricketsgarden, the story about her house is so interesting, I wanted to follow it, but don't know where it went.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 14, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8889921

I think she is really busy with family concerns. I hope things are going well.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8892209

I was worryimg about her.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8914226

Missing you, Cricket.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8933021

Sorry. Yep had extra family to tend to but then got sick for 7 wks-----long story. I am better and I only have one extra child here now.
Hubby Been doing a lot of minor construction on the house to make it as warm as possible during the winter.
I will start a new thread so this one is not so long.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8933040

let me tell ya the long sick story= I had a sinus infection and I thought i could fight it off but then I had inner ear infection two weeks later. Went to doc---antibiotic shot and steroid shot and a round of antibiotics== couldnt look at the light and puter light hurt too. three weeks later= still had sinus problems and headaches and sore ear and throat==another antibiotic shot and steroid shot and a round of non-steroidal anti-inflamitories... then got a stomach virus two days before thanksgiving and after day 17 with a stomach virus went to doctor again and it seems the meds i was taking caused stomach virus to be worse than it should and also ended up with a digestive infection====another (14 day)round of serious antibiotics and still on those . I thought i was going to die!!!!!!!!!!!! so actually===i guess i was sick 8 weeks and current on meds.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8933966

So glad you are still among the living. We have missed you and your adventures.

Is the 1 extra kid the first extra one you started out with? Hope the others are doing well also.

Is the house warm enough for you all? What is your weather like right now?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8934081

continued here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233848/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America