Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: favorite bread pudding??

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 18, Views: 236
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8502518

I make an apple cider donut bread pudding that everyone loves. What is your fave?
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8504528

I'll bet that everyone loves it if you start with donuts! Mine uses regular bread with a streusel topping

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8511744

Last year I had a couple of mini loaves of zucchini bread still in the freezer... they became the best bread pudding I've ever eaten!
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8511853

MMMMM I love zucchini bread and I bet bread pudding would be fabulous. You just got me thinking that pumpkin bread pudding would be pretty yummy too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8511892

I'd bet on it, although zucchini bread has more added ingredients like pineapple, nuts or raisins.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8513612

I posted this recently in another thread but don't remember which one, so I'll post again here. Sent to me by a friend who lives in Louisiana and has had the real deal at House of Blues.

WHITE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD PUDDING
House of Blues – New Orleans

(Yields 4 extremely generous servings)

5 egg yolks
1 ¾ c granulated sugar
1 ¾ c milk
1 ¾ c heavy cream
1/2 lb white chocolate
3/4 of a 1 lb French bread (cut into cubes)
2-3 tsp vanilla extract
1 ripe (but not mushy) banana

1. Heat oven to 350 F.
--In a mixing bowl, combine yolks and sugar with a fork until uniformly mixed.
--In a saucepan, bring milk and heavy cream to a boil.
--Melt white chocolate over a double boiler or microwave it until soft.
--Begin adding about a half cup of milk mixture (very slowly) to the yolk mixture to bring
it up to temperature without cooking the yolks.
--Now combine all of the remaining milk mixture with the yolk mixture.
--Add the melted vanilla chocolate to the mixture.

2. In a large bowl…
--Combine cubed bread, thinly sliced banana rounds, vanilla extract & the milk mixture.
--Scoop mixture into well-greased 10-ounce soufflé molds or into a greased 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
--Push bananas down under bread custard mix so they don’t turn when exposed to air.

Bake 45 minutes…(50-55 if you like the top crust crunchy good) um, um, UM!

Each serving can be eaten as is (the way we eat it)…or garnished with:
1/3 cup of melted Hagan Das ice cream poured over it
chocolate sauce
whipped cream
fresh mint sprig
caramel sauce

planolinda
Plano, TX

April 26, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8522355

i want to know more about the apple doughnut bread pudding
bread pudding is a favorite of mine
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8523539

How about one that uses Krispy Kreme Glazed doughtnuts:Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding
• Cube doughnuts. 1 dozen Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
• ( As for the doughnuts: ask for fresh doughnuts without icing, the store can make them.(I did not have a full dozen, just 10... I have no clue where the other one went! ha ha)
• 1 small can sweetened condensed milk
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 eggs, beaten
• Butter Rum Icing
• Rum or rum flavoring, to taste
• 1/4 butter or margarine
1. 2 cups powdered sugar
2. Placing the doughnuts in baking dish (I was thinking I could save washing an extra bowl? Um, do not do that. It gets messy)
3. Put them in a large bowl. You may think you have too much - the cubes become heavier and frankly squishier in the next step and will fit better later! Pour sweetened condensed milk over doughnuts and toss lightly to coat evenly.
1. In a small bowl whisk eggs, cinnamon and salt; pour over doughnut chunks. Stir until evenly distributed and set aside. {This is when I brought out a bowl; my baking dish was too full to stir. Once they were coated, I just pour them back into the dish. } Let set for 10-15 minutes to absorb as much moisture as possible.
Bake in an oven safe dish at 350 degrees for approx. 30-40 minutes; until slightly crisp on top. You want the bread pudding to be moist, but no raw egg.
2. While baking make icing:
3. In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Add rum {I used about a shot of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum in the icing... and a shot for myself} and stir well. Slowly whisk in powdered sugar working out lumps. Pour over hot bread pudding. Serve immediately.
Note: you can use any type of bread, bagels, French, sourdough, or what you have. And any fruit can be added
This is not a low calorie, low fat, or sugar free recipe, if you want to turn it into a low cal, low fat, sugar free recipe, substitute fat free eagle brand condensed milk, ½ cup splenda, mix well and use in place of the sweetened condensed milk, use egg beaters in place of the eggs, and for the icing use rum flavoring 3 tbs, and splenda in place of the powdered sugar

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8523960

New Orleans Bourbon Bread Pudding

3 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup whole milk
1 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 French baguette (18- to 20-inch), torn into 1-inch pieces (10 cups)
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled, plus extra for baking dish
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 large egg yolks
3/4 cup bourbon

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange bread in single layer on baking sheet and bake until crisp and browned, about 12 minutes, turning pieces over halfway through drying time and rotating baking sheet front to back. Let bread cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.

2. Meanwhile, heat raisins with 1/2 cup bourbon in small saucepan over medium-high heat until bourbon begins to simmer, 2 to 3 minutes. Strain mixture, reserving bourbon and raisins separately.

3. Butter 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Whisk yolks, brown sugar, cream, milk, vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in large bowl. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup bourbon plus bourbon used to plump raisins. Toss in toasted bread until evenly coated. Let mixture sit until bread begins to absorb custard, about 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. If majority of bread is still hard when squeezed, soak for another 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Pour half of bread mixture into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with half of raisins. Pour remaining bread mixture into dish and sprinkle with remaining raisins. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, mix granulated sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Using fingers, cut 6 tablespoons butter into sugar mixture until size of small peas. Remove foil from pudding, sprinkle with butter mixture, and bake, uncovered, until custard is just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450°F. and bake until top of pudding forms golden crust, about 2 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Serve. (Leftover bread pudding should be refrigerated; reheat individual portions in microwave.)

Aquene *Peace*,
WautuckquesSochepo *SnowRabbit*
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8541675

Made a ridiculously calorie laden one with croissants, a dozen eggs and heavy cream--just did the cinnamon and vanilla bean flavors. It was the first time I had ever eaten or made bread pudding and it almost put me in a dessert coma of the best kind. Took it to work and everyone loved it. Thought it would be good w/ chocolate croissants and some espresso and amaretto too.

I like the donut idea. Crispy Creme donuts seem so fragile but heck so do croissants. Bet cake donuts would be good too.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8543744

ooooo, these all sound great but Snow Rabbit's Nawlins Bourbon Bread pudding might be the one I try.

Darius, how do you turn the zucc bread into bread pudding?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8543763

Mary, I just cubed the zuch bread and used it as I would use regular bread in a oudding. I think I cut down on added sugar since the zuch bread was sweet. (I knew I should have written it down!)
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8543825

That's good...I get it. Thanks.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8544423

Last year on Thanksgiving day I found out everyone wanted to come for dessert and they all asked for bread pudding. I couldn't get the apple cider doughnuts so I sent hubby to dunkin doughnuts for a dozen chocolate glazed and did chocolate with walnuts and dried cherries. Everyone loved it but me. I thought the chocolate was a little fake tasting.

Here is the apple cider doughnut bread pudding recipe.

1 dozen apple cider doughnuts (or ten if a couple get eaten)
1/4 c butter melted
2 diced apples (small dice)
2 tsp cinnamon (I use penzey's Vietnames and Chinese one tsp of each)
about a half tsp grated nutmeg
6 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla (this is good with Mexican vanilla)
3 cups hot whole milk (heat then cool slightly)
1 cup chopped walnuts

for the crisp on top (please these are not exact I just make things up)
1/4 c flour
1/4 c butter
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
pinch of kosher salt
(I also use the pecan chips) If you want throw some in

heat oven to 375 and lightly grease a 2 quart casserole

in a large bowl break the doughnuts into pieces and combine with the melted butter, apples and cinnamon
mix to combine and put into the baking dish

in the same bowl beat the eggs. Stir in the sugar, vanilla and salt. Mix until sugar is dissolved
Slowly wisk in the hot milk

Pour over the doughnuts and sort of poke at it a little to make sure the milk is evenly distrubuted.

Let sit for abut 10 minutes then put the crumble on top

bake for about 30 minutes (test with knife when it comes out clean it is done

I really don't measure everything exact so don't take all the measurements as hard and true.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 6, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8544539

Love it made with sweet potato biscuits . Lots of eggs so that there is a custard layer on the bottom .
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 7, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8546253

yumm --might have to give that a try sometime! only i have never heard of apple cider donuts
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8546283

LOL every orchard in New York makes their own version of apple cider doughnuts. Having tried them all withing a 25 mile radius we settled on one as the "best". Hubby went today and bought a half dozen.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8550691

Here is my favorite. Be sure to check that it's thoroughly cooked by peeking into the center before removing from oven.

> 1 loaf French Bread (sliced 1")
> 8 eggs
> 2 C milk
> 1 C cream
> 1 Tbsp vanilla
> 1/4 tsp cinnamon
> 1/4 tsp nutmeg
> 2 Tbsp sugar
> 1 tsp salt
>
> Topping:
> 1 C packed brown sugar
> 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
> 1/2 lb butter (soft) - I only use a 1/4 lb of butter!!
> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp nutmeg
> 1 C chopped pecans
>
> Place bread slices in a 9"x13" buttered pan (I put them in fairly upright). Mix the next 8 ingredients and pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate up to overnight (I let the bread soak for an hour or so before baking - as I did not have time to make it the night before!).
>
> Drop praline mixture over prepared bread.
>
> Bake @350¤ in 9X13 PAN on a cookie sheet 35-45 minutes (custard should be completely set).
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8550796

OK, I have to get into the kitchen and get baking...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America