Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: LOQUAT JAPANESE PLUM Seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 6, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
alorindanya
Kissimmee, FL

April 18, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8504003

I had the fortune of visiting one of the local amusement parks and was given a plum to sample for the first time. It was amazing! I now have the seeds and am wondering if I can grow my own tree. Now, I have read up and know that it can be difficult to get seeds from this species to grow AND that once they do it could be years before it comes mature enough to bare fruit. But I was wondering what steps I might take to see if I could get a seed to succeed. What type of soil? What type of light is needed?

Thanks!
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

August 12, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8752499

I grew some from seeds several years ago. I planted them in containers and had almost given up on them. When I started to dump out the pots of soil, I noticed they had begun germinatint. It must have taken about 3-4 months. I gave my mom one and it is now about 12 feet tall.
Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8783494

I have a bunch of them, germinated from seed. It does matter how old it is, the fresher the better. I peeled and planted. 100 percent up in just over a month (fresh-is the key)
I also have two that are now 4 years old and one already flowered and bore fruit last winter. It is about 8 feet tall. The other is shorter, and I hope it will bear this year. Give them lots of perlite
in the seedling mixture, they don't like damp roots and will rot if you overwater. Whiteflies like them too, so give them an airy space. Watch out for aphids, look underneath new leaves every day and blast with water if you find any. I notice the yellow aphids are the most attracted, at least here in Fl.
Good luck!
edit: Mine love fertilizer. I started fertilizing them when moved up to a 4 inch pot.

Also, a neat thing about them is they have a shallow root base-no tap root. I like that as they can easily be used in large container gardens, or if you forget and
leave in a pot too long, you don't have to worry about damage to a taproot. :)

This message was edited Aug 29, 2011 5:22 PM
Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8783507

Here's a picture of the one that bloomed last year. They tend to grow shrubby. If you want a tree shape, keep plucking off the lower branches
that will grow close to the ground. If they are in shade, they will still bloom, but the leaves get huge and dark green, like this one. The leaves also make great tea!!!
Whew, I feel like I just wrote an essay, lol

Thumbnail by Passionflowerz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

August 29, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8783550

Passionflowerz, have you ever had any just die for seemingly no reason? I have lost 2 this way and I can't figure out for the life of me what is killing them.
Thanks, Ibartoo

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8783600

These taste great! Are these the ones that are grafted to quince?

This message was edited Aug 29, 2011 6:42 PM
Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8783615

Ibartoo, Yes, from root rot. When they're young, they like to be kept just barely moist. (learned the hard way) After they completely absorb the
food/seedpod that the root is growing out of, you can start to fertilize lightly until you are fertilizing once a month-strong.
Remember, if the soil is too moist, soil fungi set in, and the fungus knats. These seedlings are delicate at first, and get stronger with age.
After they 'grow up' they love being watered. I have to water mine every day, (adults) because we have no real soil to speak of here in Florida,
and the tops will slightly wilt if their feet aren't moist. Note::THEY HATE BEING TRANSPLANTED-grow in peat pots and don't disturb roots when moving to larger pot or
in ground!!! I can't stress this enough! And use superthrive when moving, and when babies.
edit: Do you have any now? I'll do a trade with you for a camellia :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America