Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Unbelievably massive birds

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 14, Views: 296
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

October 11, 2001
4:42 PM

Post #15768

I am sorry, but I don't have a picture to prove this, but in our back pasture, this afternoon, was a flock of about 10-12 birds.

They were hanging out on the ground (doing who knows what). I didn't know they were there until I went to the pear tree to pick up some pears. Out of the grasses (the grass is about 5 feet tall) the biggest bird I have ever seen in my life jumped out of the grass and took flight.

He was so massive that his movements were incredibly slow, almost to the point of being comically slow. His effort to take to the sky took at least 5 seconds, affording me a good view of him. His face was brown/skin color, with a blotch of red (I think the red was below his beak).

His body was black.

His wingspan was no less than 15 feet wide, from tip to tip.

Anyway, he scared me almost to death, so I dropped the pears and started back to the house. Immediately at least 10 more of the same bird flew out of the grass, launched into the sky, and started circling above me. I stood there as they circled, and watched them for at least 5 minutes. Finally, I got bored and came in.

So, what are these 15 feet-wide birds, and what are they doing here? They must weigh at least a hundred pounds each, and I am convinced that they could carry a small child off, if they wanted to.

Dave
Sis

October 11, 2001
4:50 PM

Post #144637

ROFLOL DAVE,sounds like buzzards(vulchers)they do get BIG'
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2001
5:31 PM

Post #144666

Dave,

And what was in the glass?
Sis

October 11, 2001
6:04 PM

Post #144693

Birdweiser,lol'
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2001
6:08 PM

Post #144696

sis, you're so funny!!!!!!!!! roflol!!!
Sis

October 11, 2001
6:15 PM

Post #144703

TYVM,"the devil made me do it,lol" Forgive me Dave know you were terrified' Think 'bout it,they do get tired flying 'round and need to catch their breath,lol' Now,get yourself back out there and pick up them pears''Waste not want not''':D
dave

October 11, 2001
6:23 PM

Post #144709

After the initial shock of seeing the behemoth in front of me, I quickly recovered my senses and picked the pears back up. :)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2001
7:04 PM

Post #144722

http://www.wildwnc.org/af/turkeyvulture.html

Dave, take a look at the website above, and see if this is the bird you saw. They eat only carion, so there must be a dead "something" in that area that they were feeding on. We have these monsters nesting around our lakes here in Missouri - VERY UGLY birds!

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2001
7:17 PM

Post #144724

They were probably turkey vulture's,They are ugly but serve a porpose.They are the bigest ugliest things I've ever seen,but when you see a flock of them they look aewsome.The babies also stay with the parents for years and help raise the younger one's so You may have been seeing 2-4 generations.
dave

October 11, 2001
7:21 PM

Post #144725

Yes, thanks for the link to the picture. I can definitely see the resemblance between the picture on that site and the birds I saw in the field today.

Quite an experience!!!
perLite
Petaluma, CA

October 11, 2001
8:26 PM

Post #144758

What a story!
Sounds like a new Hitchcock thriller...
luvublooms

October 11, 2001
10:36 PM

Post #144820

It was just Bin laden in disguise.So that's where he's been hiding ,him and his vultures! Sneaky coward!..oops! not current event forum,sorry!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2001
11:20 PM

Post #144828

Dave... Were you having Wild Turkey? LOL!!!!
ozarksue
Mansfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2001
2:36 AM

Post #144959

They are all over here in our part of Missouri too, but if they weren't around, things could get very "stinky". They and the crows and ravens take care of the road kill, the uneaten portions of kill made by coyotes, wild cats etc. They may be ugly, but no one can say they are not impressive!!!! LOL
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2001
7:03 AM

Post #145105

Reminds me of one of the best photos I ever missed. Someone had killed a deer in the pasture and left all but the choicest parts. About the same time, I had to put a horse down, so there was a regular buzzard's smorgasbord out there. I stepped out the back door early one morning to see at least 100 vultures in a large dead tree, and as many more on a microwave tower. It was a sight right out of Ancient Mariner. Of course, when I went back in for the camera, they all flew away, and never reassembled.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America