Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SUNFLOWERS FOR 2011 - WHOSE IN?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060274/

OMG!!! its almost planting time.. well, last year on this day in history I direct sowed mine.

Um, today its in the 30's raining and no way am I planting them direct. But its a thought anyway!

So whacha-all thinking on here?

(Edited to add link...!)

This message was edited Apr 19, 2011 8:04 AM

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Haven't planted any Sunflower seeds yet, although I could have/should have. There is one that reseeded itself out front. Have no idea which variety it is though. It's about 6 feet tall right now, with multibranching buds.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Been cold has it? its freeznig here.. in the 30's raining..

I have not gotten any seed yet either...

Right now I am scurrying down my lists to see what else to do..

LOL. Cold in South Florida? It's mid yo upper 80's every day with lows around 70. No more cold fronts or cooler weather here until late October. I've just been lazy at planting Sunflower seeds. Got a whole box full of seed packs. Need to get off my butt and get it done.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

+Weoo, ima figuring couple 2-3 weeks yet.. Although we have seen snow fly in May.

You probably still got a way to go before you can be 100% sure of no more frosts. You can always get those clear cold mornings in May when the temps briefly dip below 32.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, today the tide is in.... be a while before I have "dry" enough ground to poke some seed.

No tide here. Just dry dry dry dirt, brown grass and several wild brush fires 2 counties North of here.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well.. will send ya some water... maybe you can use it..

Yes, we could use some of that now. It's just one month until our summer rainy/thundery season starts. It starts every year in late May right on schedule. Only good thing about it being so dry right now = no bugs/mosquitoes.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

that reminds me.. gotta get some more fly traps
I need to "decorate" the flowerbed on the fence....seems to be a congregation of bugs there. Its really redneck there... ick!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Traps are up. They look so delightful.. Kinda gives a glow to that spot! Last year seemed we did not have enough up.

A glow? Are those the lighted bug zappers yous are talking about?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Nope... they are those huge gallon size Trap and toss.

Lovely arent they? That was last seasons hunt.. I actually had four up.. this year I dont think ten is gonna be enough.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Cant afford the electricity to run those zappers but that would be a thrill too! I can see it ow ten of them popping machines singing day and nite.. Yep that would be a thrill...

These things here.. silent yet deadly.

Now to get something to control the odor.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here are some pics of a sunny farm which I took on the way to our cabin.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=262713410434061&set=a.262713047100764.61722.100000862125871&type=1&theater

Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

WEW!!! that is an awesmoe field of sunnies! I Did not grow any this year....it was a lousy gardening year..

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Not the greatest here either. Too much rain and heat.
I thought you of all folks would appreciate all those sunnies!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I do I do! I love the sunnies! Hopefully next year I will plant some, but yano what, the old sunny patch went to grass this year and we did not till a new one.. hmm must make note to self.. tell hub to till!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Always a list lol!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.