Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: The Best Cinnamon, Raisin, Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 8, Views: 173
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8506330

I donated blood recently and they had THE best Cinnamon-Raisin-Oatmeal cookies I've ever had. They were old fashioned and scrumptious and I'd love to make some. No one knew who made the cookies so I couldn't get the recipe. Maybe someone here makes them and could give me the recipe? They were soft and chewy with just the right amount of cinnamon. Normally I don't like oatmeal cookies, but these even LOOKED inviting.

I know I can google recipes, but I wouldn't know which one is right. I'm sure someone here makes these cookies just like I tasted at the blood drive. I'm fairly sure it's an old recipe handed down for generations. Maybe your grandmother made them. Would you share your recipe? I've just got to have more of those cookies!

NancyAnn
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8506912

NancyAnn, I don't know if these are close to the ones you had, but it is a good starting place to create your own recipe. This is the recipe on the Old Fashioned Quaker Oats container lid. I haven't made them in a while, but I do remember that I used about 2X the cinnamon called for, and I sometimes add a little ginger and nutmeg, too. I rinse the raisins after measuring. I do know that great cookies need to be cooked just right, or you will not get a desirable texture. I read somewhere that the oven temp should never drop below 350 degrees if you want perfect cookies. Also you should have a good heavy cooking sheet. --pen

VANISHING OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES
quakeroats

Yield: 4 doz cookies

1/2 C (1 stick) butter plus 6 T butter, softened
3/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 C Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 C raisins

Heat oven to 350F

In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on med speed of electric mixer until creamy.

Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.

Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.

Add oats and raisins; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded T.'s onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8-10 min. or until light golden brown.

Cool 1 min. on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.

Store tightly covered.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8506943

Hey Pen, I am going to be rained in for the next few days, so I'll go pick up the ingredients I don't have and give it a try. We're taking a road trip Fri, so maybe I'll have some good cookies for us to snack on. Thanks for the recipe! If they're what I had at the blood drive, I KNOW they'll vanish! LOL

Thank you!

NancyAnn
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8508184

NancyAnn

keep us posted - I am hoping this recipe has the moist oatmeal raisin cookies.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8508667

I'll probably make them today or tomorrow. I'm eager to try the recipe. I picked up some raisins last night so I'm all set.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8519605

I happened upon this oatmeal raisin cookie recipe from JoyofBaking.com, and it includes a discussion of oatmeal in general and oatmeal cookies in particular. The instructions include a step-by-step video.

http://joyofbaking.com/OatmealCookies.html
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8520349

Pennzer, I really enjoyed that site. I hadn't come across it before but it's very fun. Thanks!
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8644350

Oh my gosh!!! Thank you Pennzer for the joy of baking web site! What a great discovery! I love it! If you have any more wonderful web sites that are similar to this one please post them for me.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8646147

Ann, you might enjoy the cooking blog, macheesmo.com. He does great photos and step-by-step instructions.

I recently subscribed to CI (Cooks Illustrated). I love that they have done lots of experimenting and taste testing, and they go into the science of cooking.

Of course, I also enjoy allrecipes.com because I can read all the reviews. But CI is even better because their recipes have been engineered and tested by experts.

pen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America