how to make a pallet into a garden

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

great link: (i thought)

http://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-turn-a-pallet-into-a-garden/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Find a Pallet was the first hurdle for me.
Nice idea. I always wondered if those things had another use.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

There was quite a discussion on that link about using pallets for food plants. My son is trained in sanitation, so I asked him his opinion. Here is his response:

"After seeing many things, and knowing what gets on some pallets, I wouldn't use them for anything........just my opinion."

So I think I'm going to pass on this ideas, unless I can find a new one from a manufacturer, or make my own.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 8:11 PM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks for the tip

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Well, take three 2 x 4's for the 'spine', then for the pallet part, get boards 3'L x 3"W x 1" thick and nail everything together. I'd use non-treated wood if using for food, though.

That's what I'm going to do, and measure my area before i make it. I might do 2 thinner ones so they aren't too heavy for me since I'm such a "delicate flower." haha

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

excellent! make sure to take photos each step of the way and post them with instructions, eh?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pallets are heavier than you might think. Made of red oak here.

Hallowell, ME

If you are building your own reinforce the back with at least 3 1x4's either over or under your plastic.

well, making anything will be put off here. Our area was hit by a tornado on Friday night. Our house has damage but is still standing, thank God, but all my trees are gone. My shady yard is now a full sun yard, lots of digging and giving away my treasured shade plants.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm so sorry to hear of it. Glad to know you're fine but so hard to see the destruction throughout much of the tornado areas. A friend told me that one town in Arkansas had the sidewalks ripped up by tornadoes. Scary!

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

cathy4 - Wow! I'm glad you are ok and still have a house. It's so sad to have to give away all your treasured plants and redo everything. I hope you can find some new sunny plants that can become treasures. When things settle down for you, I have some that I could send you if you're interested.

Thank you both, and Ima, that is such a nice offer, hugs long distance to you. I think I will take a summer off to move and save what I can, and give the whole yard some thought. I never liked where the trees in the back yard grew, this is a chance to place them better and use native species.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

cathy - You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.

Hallowell, ME

Cathy my heart goes out to you and all those who have gone thru that. You are in our prayers! Enjoy you redesigning. You now have a brand new slate.

Thank you all.

Spiro, OK(Zone 7a)

I work at a mall and the guards have told me that the pallets are not "spoken for" - I wouldn't just take them, but I would ask a security guard at the mall if you're looking for pallets. Chances are those pallets weren't used for anything too gnarly - mostly clothes and the like. I'm hesitant about using wood boxes for anything because of the chemicals, but for flowers it might not be a bad idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.