Can't somebody somewhere do SOMETHING about the weather???!!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Like blow up a planet or something? Don't we have that capability these days?

Anybody have anything cheerful to report on that (cold) front?

Thumbnail by summerkid
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Maybe the problem is that someone somewhere else DID do something about THEIR weather and it messed up things for everyone else??????

Otherwise, um, let's see, positives---no water shortages this year, good year for lettuce and broccoli, er, um....... yeah.

At least it's been dry for two whole days this week (*Finally*)

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Hilarious photo. At least the evergreens will have good growth, but otherwise, thumbs down on this weather! More slugs than usual, too. It's so cold, my cold weather crops won't grow, even under plastic grow tunnels! (or the slugs are getting to them all!) Daffodils are still blooming and it's April 20---BIZARRE! Waiting for so many things to bloom.....

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

A positive.............the spring bulbs are lasting a reallly long time this year.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

2 inches of snow over night :( WTH?!?!
It's Alaska. They can control the weather and evidently they have it out for the rest of the continental US this year.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi there, minnesippi. Welcome.
Where is Oakdale?????? I used to live in Monticello and still have friends back there. What a bummer.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Oakdale is half way between downtown St. Paul and the Mississippi River (Hudson).
Not happy about the snow - especially since I have lots of plants arriving in the next week....Gonna run out of room in the garage.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

OK, well, MY cheerful thing is that the 4 days of relative sun & wind we've had here on the coast have dried out my firewood to the point that I could split AND burn it.

So tonight I am luxuriating by a roaring fire & reveling in the fact that I have had 4 pieces accepted in the local artists' show for this spring.

Tingly & warm all over!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Pictures please SK... and congratulations!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

OK, I will! Thank you; I'm going to take better pix tomorrow.

Also, I want to share my favorite local craigslist ad of the day, perhaps EVAH! I mean, I sympathize with the guy but that doesn't mean I'm not laughing my butt off; he is why I live in Oregon:

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/hou/2334780887.html

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

That ad is so sad. Reading it, I envisioned a man, but the title "Mean Landlords" makes me think a woman wrote it. Poverty is a horrible thing. Very sad. Hard to imagine being in that situation, and what is their future if they can't even get into a rental unit? Funny that they took it to craigslist though!!!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I woke up to a layer of white on the lawn - hailstones, but still white. Temp below 30. I guess that qualifies for a 'frost' note in my garden journal...

Lake Stevens, WA

39 out right now!! Really, it is the later part of April. However, the last 2 days were great. My greenhouse is like that mitten story for kids. If the weather doesn't warm soon it will explode.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Is it getting worse????
Does anybody know how quickly the last Ice Age came on?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I believe it was glacially slow...... yuk yuk yuk

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Forecast is for 67 and sunny on Saturday!!!!! So exciting!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

It's hailing here too.

Susybell, I find absolutely nothing amusing about this weather, stop that!

Actually, Dog & I just got back from the beach, and it was gorgeous. Raining a bit but sun breaking through black clouds & the ocean glassy-green in between the breakers. Reminded me that I need to stop whining, throw another comforter on the bed, put on one of Jack's XXLT sweatshirts, build a bigger fire & STOP WHINING.

It is a privilege to live in such a beautiful part of the country.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I second that, SK. We just got back from a couple days on the beach off Camano Island. Sunny but brisk, entertained by a pod of gray whales, lush walking trails with lots of early bloomers, and oh so quiet.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

;-D

Really, really looking forward to a warm weekend!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Today was the best of the year. Went out and decided what plants I want to take with me. All of them! No, just a few. Hellebore and hosta pieces mostly.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Willow, are you moving somewhere? Did I miss that part while I was out of the country?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Summer, Yes we are moving into my daughter's second house in Bremerton. Closer to doctors and kids.

Lake Stevens, WA

Willow,
Your moving and just when you have a nice greenshed and craftroom. Hope the move brings you happiness and this house has some nice gardening space.

Kalama, WA

My husband likes the rain. On sunny days the laundry doesn't get done and he doesn't get fed unless he does it himself. . . .

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi springcolor. I may be taking the shed with me. Depends on $$. The house has a huge yard. All fenced for the dogs and lots of beds to rejuvinate. We built a small shed there for my daughter about 12 years ago. And way too much lawn space. Could add on to that one easily. I want to make a small forest, with maybe some bamboo, in the center of the back yard.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2011 4:39 PM

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Not a single day to reach 60 in the next 7 day forecast. What???

Lake Stevens, WA

Oh, good then Willow. I just remember your thread on that greenshed and how nice it was. Glad you might get to take it with you. Sounds like a nice yard. Hope the weather is better so you can get the plants you want.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like your move will be for the best in the long run, Willow, but it must be hard to think of leaving your lovely gardens and courtyard. Then you'll have a whole new area to work with in your new yard!Could be exciting possibilities!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm really pleased that, of the few gardens I've gotten to visit out here, Willow's was one of them. It's a beautiful & engaging place. And you were so nice about having Osita there.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That was a year ago already and I think of you all everytime I see your names written on the window. That was a good day for me. I will probably do a thread and let you all see where I'm going.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

It was sunny and nice alll last week in Wrangell where I had to leave the door open to keep the office from heating up too much. Though the nights were in the 40's. Quite beautiful spring up there again. This is the only picture I took where you can see in the mirror the sunny weather.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, I like that Sofer -- we should all post a candid photo of us at work (or play if you are fortunate to not have to work any longer). Gives another layer. I'll work on catching myself in my tiny home office with the birds outside my window...

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I as you can see even when I have a broken leg have to be at work. Doing surgery with my Tibia and Fibula fractured and no fix done on it. I just wanted to show the window with sun. I unlike the rest of the world never get to retire. Many of us won't when we plan on retiring. Our government spent it on welfare and war.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I JUST DISCOVERED A HUMMINGBIRD NEST OUTSIDE MY BEDROOM WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN A RHODODENDRON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this tiny tiny miracle common out here?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Lucky you summerkid. Enjoy!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

And wow .... just when I thought this day could not POSSIBLY get any better ... I get a breathless phone call from my military brother & turn on the news.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

It was 64 degrees and sunny on Mt Hood yesterday, so my son and I took advantage and hit the slopes! I love that in the Pacific NW, you have the choice to garden or ski on the same day!

Yes, I loved the Bin Laden news, too.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Surprisingly I had mixed feelings on Ben Lada. He is the first man I became excited about being killed. Have had bitter thoughts every time I think of NY and airports. I have often quoted "Bin Laden won the war". Now I think not. But still how can anyone not think of why he did what he did when we live here. Glad he is gone and it will definately heat things up. Faces need to be saved. Including Pakistan.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh, that's great, Kosk! I had hoped to do more skiing too once moving here but haven't put that all together. The one time I stayed up there 2 years ago, there was a massive storm & even Timberline was closed so we didn't get to test the slopes.

Sofer, I understand where you're coming from. I am not one of those who thinks the United States is the greatest, godliest, most blameless nation EVAH. And it's not that I feel safer with b.La gone. I just feel ... better.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Summer---I forgot to ask---what does a hummingbird nest actually look like? Is it tiny? I get tons of hummingbirds in our yard, but haven't seen a nest. Good to know they nest in lower shrubbery---I have lots of habitat for them if that's the case. I probably have some hidden nests, and I don't even know it. Can you take a pic of the nest and post it? Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.