Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
juliep127
Louisville, KY

April 20, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8508515

I love asparagus, but I don't like it plain. I have an electric steamer and I want some seasoned recipes.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8508520

Have you tried it raw? My asparagas never makes it to the kitchen most days as I have a very small plot. :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8508558

A squeeze of lemon is always good on asparagus.

It is also good when it is roasted in a little olive oil in the oven with a bit of garlic, or trying putting it on the grill in with some other mixed veggies.
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

April 20, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8508592

Parmesan cheese, butter, and lemon.
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

April 20, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8508911

ASparagus Gratin

http://steamykitchen.com/15169-asparagus-gratin.html
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8509641

I agree with YankeeCat about raw asparagus. They can get huge in a home garden and still be tender and delicious. If they do make it into the house, and you leave them raw, a homemade or good mayonnaise with garlic, pepper, salt and a squeeze of lemon juice is nice. Another version is to puree or mince and add roasted or grilled red peppers to the mayonaise.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8510914

When I pick asparagas - juice drips out of it! What a difference from the store bought variety!
juliep127
Louisville, KY

April 21, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8511116

You all make it sound so good. I have never grown asparagus, but I do have a veggie garden. Maybe I should...???
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8511139

Plant it once and you have it for 100 years!
juliep127
Louisville, KY

April 21, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8511149

Wow!! I may do that.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8511202

there is nothing better than freshly picked asparagus!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8511669

Well...maybe a tomato?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8511737

with fresh mozzarellla and basil...
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8511759

Raw is good if it's fresh but for the store bought stuff I like it tossed in peanut oil, grilled a little and sprinkled with Johnny's salt and Parmesan. You don't want to overcook them though, they turn stringy instead of crisp in the middle.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8512885

We like to put asparagus stalks on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with lemon juice and olive oil and some garlic, and bake them until they start to brown. You can leave out the lemon juice and/or use grated cheese, too. For us it's a great way to use the unblanched frozen asparagus from last year, but it's great with fresh asparagus, too. Someone also suggested this:

Asparagus Sauce
1 ˝ lbs. fresh asparagus
˝ cup water
2 tsps lemon juice
˝ teaspoon kosher salt
Rinse asparagus and snap off the tough ends if needed. Place in a large stockpot and cover with water.

Bring water to a boil over high heat. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes, until asparagus is tender when pierced with a fork. Drain well.

Place asparagus in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add water, lemon juice and salt. Process, adding more water if necessary, until puree is thick and smooth. (You may need to process the asparagus in 2 batches). Pour puree into dated freezer containers when cool. Cover and freeze. Use within a year.

Notes:
You can use this sauce in many ways. Mix cooked pasta with 1 cup of the sauce and 1/2 cup grated cheese and a few chopped walnuts for a springtime "pesto". You can also make a lively cream of asparagus bisque with 2 cups of sauce, 2 cups milk, 1/2 tsp coarse salt, 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper, a dash of freshly grated nutmeg and lemon juice to taste.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8512947

GG - makes me think of Asparagus Soup... haven't had that in some time. I used to have a good recipe for that and I don't have it any longer. Looks like I should start a thread on that one.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8513045

Looks like I missed the planting time for Arizona and must wait nearly a year - late Jan to early Feb. Darn. I'll grow some next year. Got just the bed for it.
juliep127
Louisville, KY

April 25, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8519144

Wow!! Thanks to all!!!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8519493

"Plant it once and have it for 100 years" unless your soil is heavy. Mine only lasted a couple of years. Haven't tried again although the garden HAS been enriched over the years.

I like mine plain with just a bit of really good quality mayonnaise.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8521435

It does take heavy feeding and likes lots of organic matter in the soil.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8522694

Have any of you tried asparagus with scrambled eggs?????
I use 5 eggs, beaten, place cut asparagus into skillet with 2 tbs canola oil, pour in the beaten eggs and cook stirring until eggs are done. Salt and pepper to taste.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8523459

When we have misshapen asparagus I always cut it up and freeze it that way for eggs. (The pretty stalks get frozen whole.) We sauté ours in olive oil with garlic first. Sometimes we add grated cheese, too.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8523515

I have put asparagus into omlets, along with various cheeses. Broccoli works well in omlets as well.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 7, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8546416

Butter and just a drip of balsamic vinegar in the skillet!!!! Eating it right now!!!! Along with sliced tomatoes and topped with sole fillets stuffed w/ crab and scallops (Omaha Steaks product)
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8550716

This is delish. You can get quinoa from whole foods or health food stores. It's a wonderful grain. This makes a ton and quinoa is a whole protein all by itself so it's great for vegetarians too.

In this delicious, healthy dish, nutty quinoa is paired with the bright flavors of asparagus and lemon. Feta adds a salty tang.

ingredients
2 cups quinoa
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, minced
3 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
8 ounces feta, crumbled
Juice of 1 lemon

timer
prep: 10 minutes
total: 45 minutes

tools
medium saucepan
large sauté pan
tongs

instructions

1. Bring 4 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in medium saucepan. When the water boils, add the quinoa and stir. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all the water, 15-20 minutes. Set aside covered for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

2. Meanwhile, prep the rest of the ingredients. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When it's hot and shimmering, stir in the shallot. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot is light brown, 5-7 minutes.

3. Add the asparagus and thyme and cook, stirring often, until the asparagus is tender but still bright green, 8-10 minutes. (Add a tablespoon or so of water halfway through cooking to steam the asparagus a little).

4. When the asparagus is done, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the quinoa, then the crumbled feta, lemon juice and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8550792

Another way is to take fresh spears and wrap them in priscutto ham slices, and bake for 20 minutes, Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!! make sure slices are thin...
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 10, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8551769

My mother used to overcook asparagus, boiling the dickens out of it. When microwaves came into our lives, she was just amazed at how mine would stay green instead of avocado colored - and with a crisp texture!!!! I have moved on to the pan searing and loving it even more!!!!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8551783

I hear you wannadanc...my MIL eats only canned veggies, and even then cooks 'em to death. Ugh.

Thanks for the quinoa recipe doss, I've been meaning to get that grain on to my table. Hubby wants mashed potatoes...every single night, after night, after night...I'll pick up some quinoa and get it a try.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 10, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8551791

Oh, Mary, I hadn't even thought about canned veggies!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEKKKKKKKK!!! I can still manage canned corn and even canned green beans, but don't EVER run a canned pea past my plate! It is a wonder we ever ate any of them. I suspect I could still "do" canned spinach with butter and vinegar, but it has been decades!!!!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8551816

Yeah, I can only do canned corn, sometimes one whole kernal mixed with one of creamed corn. Otherwise, no way jose! Everything else at her house is fried in bacon grease...I mean EVERYTHING. And well done too...did I mention she's an 86 year old Alabama lady? That's how it was done there and then.
laneybob
Lake Park, GA

May 10, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8551885

The first time I ate asparagus it was served with Hollindaise (sp) sauce. It was really good. I have eaten it with bacon wrapped around spears and baked. This was good too. I love asparagus, my favorite vegetable, even though I never ate it until I was grown. We didn't eat it in our house in south Georgia, but my brother and I both love it now.
laneybob
Lake Park, GA

May 10, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8551903

I have heard that canned vegetables contain more of their vitamins than frozen as they are canned right in the field. I eat some canned veggies, like canned black-eyed peas (I always cook dry peas mushy), canned lesuer baby green peas in a pea salad,
canned tomatoes for soups and stewed tomatoes over rice. Some frozen I like too, but I just cook small amounts as I am by myself.
I'll bet that all of you are great cooks!
juliep127
Louisville, KY

May 10, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8552109

I have never eaten asparagus as a child. It wasn't even on our menu, so all of your inputs help!!!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8552194

laneybob, I wasn't thinking of canned beans and tomatoes, those I eat too pretty much same as you do. It was peas, carrots, green beans, beets and asparagus that was on my mind for canned veggies. Never thought of using those lesuer's in salad. That's a good idea.

Just saw this asparagus recipe in a recent Cooking Light magazine:

Browned Butter Asparagus
Hands on time 8 min. Total time 18 min. A hint of tarragon adds a unique, fresh flavor to the dish but you can use any herb you like.

2 bunches asparagus, trimmed (about 2 pounds)
3 Tablespoons butter
3/8 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1.5 tsp chopped fresh tarragon

Bring large saucepany of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook 3 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain and rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; cook 3 minutes or until browned and fragrant. Stir in salt and pepper. Add asparagus and tarragon, cook 1 minute or until heated, tossing to coat.

Yield: 8 4-ounce servings
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 10, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8553372

Asparagus in my childhood became a frequent dish when my folks found places to pick it along the irrigation ditches in the orchards over on the other side of the mountains. It was considered a "weed" when it set foot in those areas, so it was like hunting mushrooms or berries - part of the hunter/gatherer style of living!!!!
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
3:06 AM

Post #8553984

first Spears were up yesterday, guess what we had for dinner, now time to get ready to freeze the rest. Also found some morels growing in the same spot, what a Bonanza!!!!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8554063

We've been freezing asparagus for about a week now; I just cut it to size and stick it into freezer bags and thence into the freezer. There are some "wild" asparagus plants by the river that were here when we first built our house many years ago, and they still produce well. I have tried but I really can't taste a difference between those and the ones we've put in the garden, which is really odd.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8554215

If you plant it, be patient, it takes about three years before you can get enough to harvest. It's worth the wait!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8554229

My daughter keeps requesting my pickled asparagus... It is so good as a snack or on a salad.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8561339

I make an asparagus and strawberry salad. I just blanch the asparagus for 3 minutes and mix with strawberries and a very light balsamic vinagrette. I also sprinkle with a little Murray River Salt and dried fennel.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8561396

That sounds wonderful! We have lots of asparagus right about now, although the strawberries aren't in yet. Do you cut the asparagus and strawberries up at all, or do you leave them whole?
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8561539

I slice the strawberries but leave the asparagus whole. I really is yummy and very pretty.
50glee
Huntersville, NC

June 9, 2011
2:19 AM

Post #8619375

I prefer to saute asparagus in a medium-hot skillet with olive oil, shaking to brown all over.

Just before turning off the heat, add sea salt & fresh minced garlic!

Whew! You'll think you are in a fancy gourmet restaurant!

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8622304

You are making me hungry for asparagus. We have to buy it now because our bed just ran out. Don't really know why. So, we tilled it up, roots and all. Then replanted to other veggies. Well, after awhile the asparagus started coming up here and there around the other veggies. I swear, we should have just let it regrow, but we didn't. We tilled again this year. I am talking raised beds here. I miss the spears coming up, but you know, there just weren't enough anymore and I needed that bed for more productive veggies. I think our winters are not cold enough here. Even though our soil is light, it still compacts. Maybe those are the reasons it didn't do well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America