Photo by Melody

African Violets and Gesneriads: Where is the pollen pretty plllz?

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 4, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
haweha
Solingen
Germany
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2011
2:13 AM

Post #8510394

Greetings, from Germany.
These three Violets have proven to be reliable under the environmental conditions that I provide them with. Now, as I consider, to crosspollinate these in order to create my own stock of hybrids, the Q arises (again) from the observation that the Anthers are smooth and I cannot detect the least amount iof pollen on these.
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance!

Thumbnail by haweha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

EarleG
Sanbornton, NH

April 21, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8510485

Hi haweha,

The pollen is inside the yellow anthers. I crush the anthers and use a small paintbrush to do my pollination. Seems to work for me. BTW, the blue violet on the right looks like one of the 'space baby' violets. If so, I believe they are sterile.

Earle G
haweha
Solingen
Germany
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8510520

Thank you so much!
I made the mistake, that I would search for "pollination Saintpaulia" first - rather than what I did now, namely "pollination African Violet" - that I gathered the informations almost on the spot, to use older flowers as pollen donors (then the pollen is more likely to be DRY) and cut the Anthers in half in order to obtain the pollen, and to pollinate flowers that are younger (2-3 days old)
Thank you particularly, for the information about the "Space Baby". I shall try anyway, but it will save me from undue expectations.

I opened this Thread, because this morning I was beholding the beauty of these flowers, and reflecting about the fact, that these three plants as a whole make a good show and that they are such reliable re-bloomers, without repotting even, since I had purchased them in spring/summer 2009. Now I want offspring of these!
EarleG
Sanbornton, NH

April 21, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8511270

Glad to be of help. You will want to propagate the 'space baby' from leaf cuttings to increase your number of plants. From my experience, the 'space babies' are very slow-growing, but they put on a spectacular show when they start to bloom. Many more blooms per plant than a standard african violet and they seem to go on blooming for months and months. Have fun with them.

Earle G
sonia117
Upland, CA

April 21, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8511512

Love the blue on the right..I bought very similiear to that a few weeks ago..Nicole potted it up..maybe I should have left it alone..thanks for sharing..

Sonia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America