Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: Pathway in a Country Garden

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 9, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
islandgirl62
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8510908

Hi Everyone, I have been working on my "Country/English" Garden now for a little over 6yrs. And, am so very proud to say it is "finally" starting to look and smell wonderful! I have mulch and pinestraw around all of plants/in beds. We have a above ground pool also in the backyard, I am looking for idea's of what I can use to make walking path's through my garden. I really do not want to use the tiny pebbles, or the hard stones, due to the grandbabies getting in and out of the pool and trying to also walk on them. I would really like to use something unique for my pathways. "IF" anyone has any idea's could/would you please let me know. "I will post pics as soon as possible so that all of you, who have helped me so much can see the beauty that has came from nothing. Once again, thank you all so very much! Have a wonderful and blessed day! Love in Christ!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8511144

You could use cypress mulch over weed block for your paths, relative easy to walk on and does not float like pine bark mulch. Or you could use an edging material and sand. There are a number of plants that can handle foot traffic also that could help soften a path.

Here are a few ideas for you.

http://www.enhancescape.com/articles_resources/pathways_walkways/walkway_material.htm

http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/outdoor/walkways/mixed-material-walkways/

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/champaign/homeowners/040821.html
islandgirl62
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8513164

Thank you so very much, "themoonhowl"!!!!!!!!!!! I had never really thought of that! I also want to thank you for the links also. My Mother just handed me down more lovely plants, yesterday. And, all of them are the "old fashion" and "wild", types. I told her yesterday, if I keep going I will not need a path, lol... I truly love being able to get idea's from others, on here. There are so many things I have never thought of, just as yours. So, thank you once again so very much! By the way, I have these lilies, in my front yard, that are taller than I am, (about 6ft) they are at least in a row about 8ft long and 6ft wide. They are blooming right now, with "yellow" lilies. We "think" that they are "Lousiana Lilies" but not sure. That is just what someone told me they "thought" they were. I will try and post a pic soon. "IF" you would like, and do not already have them, I will send you photo and if you would like some of them, I will gladly send you some for free. It only take a few and they will multi. like crazy. "NOT TAKING OVER", but just looking beautiful. Thank you so very much once again and have a Wonderful and Blessed Day and Easter Weekend! Love in Christ!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8513206

Hi Islandgirl. you are so very welcome for the info. I think perhaps the lily you refer to is the golden trumpet lily.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80263/

I have one white trumpet lily, but none of the yellow. I am not sure if La has an official yellow lily other than our tiny Trout lily, but would love to see a picture of them. Thank you for your kind offer.

I hope you and yours have a warm happy Easter filled with the joy of the season.

best regards,

Moon
islandgirl62
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8517157

Hi, the moonhowl!
No, those are not it.l These have very bright green long leaves that grow straight up. The stalks are very tall about 5ft and the leaves are also. They have what "looks like" a lily?!? The actual flower is bright yellow, it has only about four petals. when they open the petals actually "lay back". No-one around here/me, have ever seen this type of plant. My Mother-in-law who has now passed away. Had planted only about 5 of them against the house, I took and moved them to the front yard, "THINKING" they would grow like regular lilies. However, what a shock to find that these things spread like a wild fire! And, are taller than I am, at 5ft tall. When you dig them up, they are almost right on top of the ground. I have had so many people leave notes on my mail box, fence, etc... asking for some of them. Due to no-one has ever seen these before. The only thing I can think of, is that her mother (who has also passed away) used to order seed/plants from the older garden mag. and this must have been one that she ordered YEARs ago! I actually have several of the Trumpet Lilies that my Mother gave me and a friend on here. "It "MIGHT" be what you are talking about concerning the "Trout Lily" not sure. I will have to look it up. The ONLY reason I refered to it as a LA was due to one fo the memebers on here, had actually came to my home a few years ago and she "THOUGHT" that was what it "MIGHT" be, as she did not know for sure, nor had she ever seen this type of flower either. I will do my best to get a photo of them and post them one day this week.
I am pretty sure "someone" here or you, know what it really is.
Thank you for your kindness and help! And, I pray that your family and you also have a wonderful and blessed Day, and Easter! With love, Kath

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8517252

Could you please post a picture of them? I am stumped at the moment...our La trout lily is a tiny plant, so I know that isn't it. I would love to know just who this flower is...grin
islandgirl62
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8518203

Hey Moon, I will try and get one of them (post) tomorrow and send it to you. I am telling you, I have met "NO-ONE" who knows what this flower is! It blooms for around an entire month. It has had flowers now for two weeks, so it still has two-three more weeks to go! Due to, where the flower came from and how "long ago" it was purchased there is no telling what it is! I know that the girl who came over from DG, had no idea either. She was amazed by them too. They do not have any smell that is the only bad thing about them. But they are truly beautiful. I gave my Mother about five of them, and she planted them last year in five different places, and her's is also huge, and have spread also. From the road they cover the bottom half of our home! lol... All you can see is a sea of bright green and bright yellow! People actually slow down/stop to look at them. And, they will grow in any soil! Plus they seem to grow best in FULL sun! I bet you there is way over a thousand of them out there. They cover half of my front yard. In front of them I have all the colored Lilies. (Kinda like the White Easter Lilies) We had a Lily Farm down the road from of years ago, the man was selling the place and my Mother went down there and purchased several of each color. Her yard is FULL of those kinds and every color you can imagine. Now she is going to thin hers out this year, after they have all bloomed so "IF" you want/need any of those, she will have plenty of those! As they have spread like wild fire plus, they have even mixed with each other and now made NEW colors also. I do not think there is a color she does not have! But, I will do my best (depending on the weather) to get pics of everything and put on here to. We both (My Mom and I) have thousands of different types of flowers between us and tree's/etc... We also have several tree like, tree's, that were growing in my Grand-Mothers house that I grew up at, and they are beautiful also You cut them back some each year, however, they come back full force. They have what "looks like", large Pink Honey-Suckle flowers on them, several times through out the summer. I LOVE these tree's. Well, they are kind of like, a bush/tree. Depending on how you trim it back and keep it trimmed. I also have "thousand's" of Red Bud Tree's coming up all over the place! I know it is "suppose" to start rainning tomorrow sometimes, then very bad weather on Wednesday. But cooler on Thursday with a chance of showers. So, I will get out there just as soon as I can and get some pics so you can see everything I have. Plus, when I can get to my Mom's (around the corner road from me), I will get a few of what she has also. We both have "very old" grave-yards on our land, and there is all kinds of flowers in them, that we have gotten pieces of and replanted. Things that I have not seen in stores or on here either. Anyway did not mean to keep you so long. (Sorry) But I will get some pics for you too! I will try and start a Journal on here to. The only problem is that half the stuff I/We have, we either only know the name that people gave them way back, or we have no clue what they truly are.
I hope you had a wonderful Easter! I will try and get back with you tomorrow! Have a wonderful nite!
With Love, Kath

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8518283

Kath that would be delightful. I love the old Passalong plants. Unfortunately the names of so many have been lost. It will be an adventure trying to give them names. GRIN. Hope you had a lovely day and the grandbabies were treated well by the Easter Bunny. If yours are anything like mine you will be finding eggs for days...GRIN

Have a sweet evening,
Moon
islandgirl62
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8524735

Hey Hun, I do not have but a min. As I am sure you have seen we are having/getting "severe" weather today and worse to come tonight!!!!! Everything that is in Ala. is heading to us... I have not had a chance to even get outside today! Trying to get everything done in the house and also, supper cooked due to the lights going out. We have LARGE OLD pine tree's all around us, due to there is a very OLD graveyard next to us and the tree's are in it. We are not able/allowed to cut them down, they are all dead or dying, so I can ONLY PRAY everytime we get these winds and storms!!! This will truly be a LONG nite! I can NOT sleep at all when this stuff goes on! And, I start having panic attacks when these things happen! It has torn alot up right above us already! I can ONLY PRAY that somehow, it will cool down before the main line hits us! Which does not look very likely, it is in the 80's here now. And, yes I would LOVE to have your help in finding the names of these that I have! (Praying they are here tomorrow and so am I) Anyway, I did want to let you know that I have not forgotten about you at all! And, look forward to talking with you more in the coming days/weeks/years! My internet keeps going down, I think it is due to what all is going on also. So, I guess I should get off for now and PLEASE if you will keep us in your prayers and my Mom and Dad to! We live ony a few houses away from one another! They are saying the MAIN line should hit us around 8pm our time. It is almost 7pm now. So, I really need to get some things done! Take care my friend and I hope and pray to talk to you tomorrow! Have a safe and wonderful evening and nite! With Love Always, Kathy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8524848

Be safe Kathy. Went through here Tuesday...we were on the edge so just a lot of wind and a little rain. Good thoughts for you and yours. Hoping all will be well.

take care and remember to Breathe!

Moon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America