AuthorContent
lorvan
Hamilton, ON
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8511366

Hi all!

I like to try growing new herbs... this year I've tried tea. It's a pretty cool looking plant, and my 2 seedlings are growing well. Anyone else growing this?

Thumbnail by lorvan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8570564

I was. I had a lovely large plant that I bought online. Sadly I did something wrong, probably gave it too much sun last summer and it is no more. It was especially beautiful in winter with so many small white flowers with a yellow center. Good look with yours. They look nice and healthy.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8603699

I do not think you can grow the tea plant except as a houseplant in your zone. I have 3- bought from a seminar at the Charleston Tea Plantation. Mine are in mostly shade. Plants stay green all winter but I'm not that impressed with them- flowers are very small sand as the commercial says' those tiny little tea leaves' you would need a lot of plants to make tea. What other herb benefit would you have from this plant? Mine were 1 gallon when bought and have been in ground 2 years.

Thumbnail by cornish2175
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8669243

I'm growing it in zone 6b. I give it a wind break in the winter to protect from cold winds and the top dies off but the bottom leaves are a bit desiccated but come back fine in the summer. This year it was buried in snow for about a month, but it is fine now - just shorter and fuller. This year I am going to try making my own tea!
julittades
Lawndale, NC

May 9, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9117852

western NC, zone 7: Mine (Maidens' Blush, from Nichols)has been growing slowly for maybe 5-7 years? Remember that it is a Camellia, so look up Camella preferences & treat it like one!

For me, that is a southwestern exposure, rich but well-drained soil, slightly acid. Lovely small single camellia flowers, late winter. Tea plantations tend to run several hundred years old, because:
A) It does grow slowly
B) For tea, you only pick tender new-growth leaves (which is why you want to let the plant get good-sized before you start picking...)
C) Fortunately they are very long-lived bushes, once well established
D) No One in their right minds cuts down a well-established profitable plant! :-)

NOT a get-rich-quick crop, tho... But nice to grow & I'm looking forward to my 1st cup of home-grown real Tea. Unfortunately, I'll have to drink green (I do prefer Black, which has to be fermented), until the bush gets MUCH larger. Definitely a patience-is-a-Virtue plant.

Linda, in western NC

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America