Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Herbs: Growing Tea (Camellia Sinensis)

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 4, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lorvan
Hamilton, ON
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8511366

Hi all!

I like to try growing new herbs... this year I've tried tea. It's a pretty cool looking plant, and my 2 seedlings are growing well. Anyone else growing this?

Thumbnail by lorvan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8570564

I was. I had a lovely large plant that I bought online. Sadly I did something wrong, probably gave it too much sun last summer and it is no more. It was especially beautiful in winter with so many small white flowers with a yellow center. Good look with yours. They look nice and healthy.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8603699

I do not think you can grow the tea plant except as a houseplant in your zone. I have 3- bought from a seminar at the Charleston Tea Plantation. Mine are in mostly shade. Plants stay green all winter but I'm not that impressed with them- flowers are very small sand as the commercial says' those tiny little tea leaves' you would need a lot of plants to make tea. What other herb benefit would you have from this plant? Mine were 1 gallon when bought and have been in ground 2 years.

Thumbnail by cornish2175
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8669243

I'm growing it in zone 6b. I give it a wind break in the winter to protect from cold winds and the top dies off but the bottom leaves are a bit desiccated but come back fine in the summer. This year it was buried in snow for about a month, but it is fine now - just shorter and fuller. This year I am going to try making my own tea!
julittades
Lawndale, NC

May 9, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9117852

western NC, zone 7: Mine (Maidens' Blush, from Nichols)has been growing slowly for maybe 5-7 years? Remember that it is a Camellia, so look up Camella preferences & treat it like one!

For me, that is a southwestern exposure, rich but well-drained soil, slightly acid. Lovely small single camellia flowers, late winter. Tea plantations tend to run several hundred years old, because:
A) It does grow slowly
B) For tea, you only pick tender new-growth leaves (which is why you want to let the plant get good-sized before you start picking...)
C) Fortunately they are very long-lived bushes, once well established
D) No One in their right minds cuts down a well-established profitable plant! :-)

NOT a get-rich-quick crop, tho... But nice to grow & I'm looking forward to my 1st cup of home-grown real Tea. Unfortunately, I'll have to drink green (I do prefer Black, which has to be fermented), until the bush gets MUCH larger. Definitely a patience-is-a-Virtue plant.

Linda, in western NC

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America