-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8511637

Here we are, a brand new thread so people dont get lost along the last long path.
We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1168720/
Very overcast again this morning. Yesterday was a total loss to do anything outside with rain most of the day and an icy wind.
if we are getting winter now, maybe that means an early spring.
Hello Chrissy, Colleen, Teresa, Karen, Pam and Elaine.
Anthony, I hope you can find us and are able to join us in the Tea Room.
Anna and anyone else looking in, please join us. We do love to chat.
Charleen, keep showing us your pretty garden, we love to see other friends gardens.
Louise. Hope to see you soon , after you settle back in at the NH house.
I'm off to the heater to warm my toes.
Have a great weekend and stay safe if you are going out.
Happy Easter.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8511658

How about some beautiful mini roses. Got them at grocery store last fall for $2.00, worth much more than that now. The color on these are fantastic. I hope Anthony can get on...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 21, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8511918

Good morning everyone. Beautiful roses Charleen. I do love roses. Brug flowers everywhere at the moment and still more to come. Paradise. aaaahhhhhh. Have visitors for the weekend and sister went home yesterday so have been pre-occupied. Hope all are well. We haven't had much rain but it is quite nippy. Yabby trip wasn't much of a success. You need a boat to get out to the deeper water to set the pots. We did a bit of hand yabbying but only caught 5. The boys had great fun and finished up running in the mud and slush. Shoes and all had to be washed when we got home but they had a ball, That's what it's all about anyway. Next door got their palms cut down so I have lots of palm to put my Broms on. Just have to find the room to put the palms.lol. Must go, hope everyone has a great Easter. Be back later. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8511947

Thank you, Colleen. Glad the boys loved their outing.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8512021

Good beautiful morning to Jean, and everyone. How lovely to come in to these colourful roses, Charleen. Love them. Colleen, are palms suitable to grow broms on? I have a couple, but they seem to have long dead fronds that sweep the sides of the tree. I have to wait until they are down far enough to remove. I was afraid to put anything on them because of this habit.

I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable Easter with family and friends. A fine one would be nice too.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 21, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8512475

gee!-im thirsty!!!i wonder what caused that problem,.,.went fishing this morning with inherited grandson,.we caught 2 [size] flathead,then the wind and rain picked up,so i came home and devoured a packet of crumpets [cream cheese and vegemite] mmmmm!i have a big slab of 'blue eye'[gold plated]ready for tea,-looking foreward to that,.,.but for now,its back outside to empty more pots,..,,.''more room'',''i buy in more bulbs,better ones''-''somebody stop me'',-anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 21, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8512507

Gee I don't know where there is a bulbs anonymous or a Brugmansias Anonymous ...even a gardener's anonymous. ^_^

Have fun tonight.
Beautiful mini roses there Charleen.

Great to hear happy people enjoying their day ...well except for the cane toad cestrum uncovered in the mulch ...eeek!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8512696

Anthony, glad you found us. Can I come for tea ? That fish sounds nice. Maybe a crumpet or two with honey please.
Karen, my daughter in Perth grows broms and ferns on her palms. I guess it depends on the type of palm. Hers are very tall and the hanging bits are too high to damage the plants
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 22, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8513695

Thanks Jean. I'll rethink the palm situation. Would be good to have something interesting on those tall, bare trunks.

Anyone get that storm yesterday? No damages here, but we got so thoroughly drenched. Even my plants in the carport got saturated, so there must have been a wind out there.

All my zygocactus are coming into bud. I am excited, as there are one or two I haven't seen in flower yet. However, my little variagated one hasn't got any buds. It looks like it isn't sure if it is happy with life or not, though I have it with my other zygos, in the same conditions. May be a bit finicky?

Have a safe and happy Easter, one and all.
Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8513709

Happy Easter to all from Charley and the Donkeys...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 22, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8513745

❁ ❀ ❁ ❀ Good morning everyone. ❁ ❀ ❁ ❀
The sun is trying to come out so I am hopeful of a nice day, as was yesterday after lunch.
I started moving the broms into the older greenhouse and they do look really good as I have higher benches in there where one can see the lovely colors closeup .
I cant put the hanging baskets in there as you cant hang anything on the frame. It is too flimsy to hold weight. I will make some sort of posts that I can display the smaller basket ones on.
I will post some pics when I finish.
Hello Karen. My zygos are budding too. I have read that the variegated one is a bit iffy. I dont have any so cant tell you. I have one beautiful white with a pink edge which is always first out . It is just about to open.
Even some of my small cutting grown ones have buds.
Hello Chrissy, yes , we are all a bit mad around our favorite plants and should all attend a gardeners anonymous club.
I am going to move a camellia later as it doesnt get seen as much as it should. I will put it out in the open and then replace it with my Dracunculus which has to come out of the shadehouse.
I also have a large Green Goddess arum to move. She has been getting so big in the corner of the shadehouse. I may put her in the brom greenhouse as there is a bit of a corner space.
Charleen, your roses are so lovely. I only have on miniature that struggles out in the garden. Probably because I always forget its there.
Hello Colleen. I'm glad you let the boys have their natural fun in the mud. I am getting so sick of seeing all the ads etc saying we should use this or that to kill germs.
If our bodies never get any germs , how can the system learn to fight them.
One has to laugh at the idiots extolling all this as there are so many germs on things we touch every day like our plants, our shoes, our purse etc etc...
PC gone mad.
I saw an interesting article in a magazine the other day. Well , interesting to me , and I'm sure many other ladies.
The panties from back in the 30, & 40s are making a comeback and sales of thongs have fallen a bit. It may sound silly to the fellas, but I, for one , am sick of trying to find undies that actually look and fit like undies.
I am sure some of the young things that were buying thongs etc are now growing up and finding that a nice pair of comfortable undies can also be very pretty and sexy.
Maybe they are tired of pulling the darn skimpy undies from their rear ends
Better get a move on as I want to make a start on moving my broms early.
Hello to everyone out there. I hope you are enjoying Easter and I am leaving some pretty egg baskets around the place for you all.
Charleen and Louise, you will find special ones out there for the girls and Charley.
Stay safe and warm.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 22, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8514033

I was trying to work out what parties and thongs had to do with one another Jean, and then did a re-read. Oops! At least it makes more sense now.

[quote="DawnSong"]
However, my little variagated one hasn't got any buds. It looks like it isn't sure if it is happy with life or not, though I have it with my other zygos, in the same conditions. May be a bit finicky?

[/quote]

Try a LOT finicky! I propagated half a dozen cuttings from mine and gave them away, only to have mine decide to turn up its toes shortly thereafter. Of course, by the time the plants I'd givben away would have had time to reach a suitable size to get a bit back from, we'd moved, and I can no longer even remember who I'd given most to.

There was (probably still is) a woman at Gympie advertising zygo's in the garden mags. I rang her and asked if she has the variegated one and she said, "oh yes, I have several different colours, so I put in a substantial order, only to receive tiny wee cuttings of plain green plants. Her interpretation of variegated obviously translated (conveniently for her) into different shading within the flowers.

A tip I learned with zygos a number of years ago - after flowering, if you do a prune, cutting each end leaf in half,the plant will form a branch there, producing twice as many flowers next time around.

Plenty of brushcutting and pruning do do today, and rally must make the effort to get in and do something with the vegie garden. Am so sick of eating the rubbish from the shops. To make matters worse, there's a tomato farm that started up a few months ago, just down the road on the way into town. Whatever they're putting on them makes them grow and produce very quickly - you can almost see them growing as you drive past, but hubby rides a motor bike to work and says when he rides past of an afternoon, he can smell the chemicals from the road. YUCK!

Have a great day all.

Pam

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8514507

here is another to copy and paste to your collection
░░░░(¯`♥´¯)░░░♥
..(\(\..♥../)/) HAPPY EASTER EVERY ONE ♥♥♥
..( '.')...('.' )
o(_")").(“(“_)o
”˜˜”*°•. ˜”*°••°

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 22, 2011
10:37 PM

Post #8514510

Chrissy, you are definitely addicted...but if they are making you happy then go for it...I will go and look for some unusual ones, though you have probably found them all...lol
Jean and I just ate our Easter Eggs...have you had yours yet?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8514513

I hope everyone is enjoying their day it drizzling a bit here and there and still grey.

I was lucky enough to hear from a long lost cousin today.
She spoke of having lost both of her breasts to the big C but has survived and had a reconstruction done.
That makes 6 ladies I care for who are victims ...so I count my blessings and ask everyone to send loving thoughts and prayers out into the universe for all who are fighting the monster that the big C is.
Remembering our own here in d's g too ...

We must take one day at a time and count our blessings ...for every day is a blessing ...just ask my cousin.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8514517

Lol Dianne ... no I scabbed this one off FB because I thought it was clever ... and I do admire clever.
I have a folder in my mail now where I stash the "collection".

It's growing by the day.
There are ones for all sorts of occasions.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8514555

That's naughty ...you should'nt have the eggs until Sunday ...well that's what we do in order to make it a tradition, mind you I suppose we are old fashioned and it really does not matter much ...chocolate is an everyday thing these days.
Pam yes we live in a market garden area and you can smell dreadful sprays sometimes coming from some of the farms ...I think I mentioned before one strawberry grower told me they sprayed the strawberries twice a week with pesticide ...I haven't eaten any that are not home grown since.

I am not discussing smalls in front of mixed company but to say that Winter may curtail the thong sales (too breezy) and I am a Bond's Cottontails fan.

My beautiful Clivias have been chewed to the ground practically overnight ...now I have grown these for many many years and they have never had this happen before ...first time anything has eaten them at all.Hoping the bulbs themselves have survived.
I recall a few years back something (disease) killed off all the new release impatients ...I planted the pretty new ones and the stuff spread to mine and killed them too.
I guess every now and then something like this happens and it's very disappointing but it's the gardeners lot.
Watch your bulbs because they took out my Swamp lillies and some of the gingers too.
Weather? maybe the funny weather allowed them to breed up.

I hope everyone has enjoyed their day.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 23, 2011
12:55 AM

Post #8514585

Hi everyone. I just wanted to seriously wish you all a very Happy Easter. Tomorrow we can all get sick on chocolate (or not) and I am restricted to a block dark of liqueur choc, which I've already sampled, I have to admit.

Re the variagated zygocactus, I never see them in the shops or nurseries, and indeed, the lady I got my piece from is the only person I've ever found growing it. I'd seen pics of it, all from overseas growers.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8514596

Love that little picture Karen ...I don't enjoy chocolate but usually have one of those eensy weensy choc eggs just because it's Easter, I love my hot cross bun on Good Friday.

In case I don't get the chance tomorrow same to you and everyone here .
Don't get a tummy ache folks but enjoy your day.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 23, 2011
1:47 AM

Post #8514611

Happy Easter everyone. Am just winding down from my visitors. Been a hectic few days but should be back to normal now. John has brought me some cuttings of the most gorgeous apricot brug. I haven't seen OA in the flesh so don't know if that's it or not. Has OA got a white throat inside? I've called it Reynella Orange for now so I know what the cuttings are. The lady where John got it from said that she doesn't have much luck striking it, but the cuttings that she sent were mostly green so I think that might be her problem. John gave her one of his RFP plants and took a piece of Clementine back to her too. He is going to give her my PH number and she can get in touch with me if she wants to. Be interesting to see if she does. Well tea time and the boys are waiting so had better go. be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 23, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8514670

Happy and Blessed Easter everyone!

I visited an Open Garden today. Admission by gold coin donation.The owners gave me some cuttungs. Very nice people.
This is their website.
http://www.montvillegarden.com/

Picture of my flowering Begonia

Thumbnail by Marleneann

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8514889

Happy Easter everyone ...Don't eat too many Easter Eggs ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 23, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8515729

Why not Chrissy? lol

On the subject of discussing smalls in mixed company, don't you just hate it when you go to the shop and buy something like underwear or other feminine bits and pieces and the only checkout/s open are staffed by males?

Lucky you, Marleneann. You're in a good spot to have access to some fantastic open gardens down that way.

Anyone who saw Gardening Australia last night, if you ever in the Wellington NSW vicinity, the Burrendong Arboretum that they featured is well and truly worth a visit. After around early Spring though it can get quite warm there, though, and there's a lot of walking to be done. I used to love visiting when were were withing driving distance.

Has anyone here ever been to the ANBG at Canberra? It's well up there on my wish list.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 23, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8515830

❃ ❂ ❁ ❀ ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ❃ ❂ ❁ ❀
Good morning everyone and a very Happy Easter.
I ate my eggs already and also the hot cross buns. I will have to wait now until shopping day and maybe buy another one. I do like chocolate. Only milk chocolate though. Hubby eats the awful dark stuff and white chocolate is not real chocolate to me.
i am very good with any chocolate usually and ration myself if I buy a block.
I finished moving the broms yesterday as the showers went away by mid morning.
They look very nice and I will go out and get a few pics when the sun comes out. I can now have fun demolishing the old shadehouse. There will be a few small plants left but they can stay and live in the new greenhouse when it gets here. I will have to watch as I remove the shadecloth because I have seen a few large huntsmen at times in there.
I see even more of my ranuncs and anemones coming up . May be a short winter and an early spring.
Hello Chrissy. Your brugs look beautiful on the other thread. Hope your brother is doing well now.
Hello Pam. I am usually so annoyed at what I have to buy in the undies dept. that I really dont worry who is on the checkout.
Can I just have one more gripe ? Socks and hankies... what happened to proper socks and lovely ladies hankies?
I could not find a decent hankie and ended up buying from USA where they are listed as collectables. Can you believe it ?
I now have some very pretty ones .
Socks ... hmmmm... I always wear socks and cannot abide those silly little things that barely cover your feet. Not good for me as they slide under my feet ,so I am restricted to mens departments because apparently its still okay for men to wear proper socks.
okay, thats enough of that.
I hope everyone has a lovely day and doesnt overdo the chocolate.
I am going to eat the last couple of lamingtons and imagine they are all chocolate.
Happy Easter Dianne, Elaine, Karen, Teresa, Anthony, Charleen and Louise.
Enjoy your gardens and keep safe .
Just another indulgence, but have an Easter Egg each from the Tea Room.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8515950

Happy Easter to you all too!!!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 23, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8516120

i helped molly on a easter egg hunt at 7am,,she doesnt recognise that easter eggs also come in boxes,so she walks straight past them,.,.jean,i buy 3 prs of merino fleece socks at the start of winter[$17 a pair] and my feet still freeze,..,and if the'chubby checkout chicks' at woolworths want to check out my XL bonds ''restrainers''5 pack-good luck to them ,.they could even book a private modelling session if necessary[i hope nobodys just eaten],.enjoy easter everyone-anthony
gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 23, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8516128

Jean, you're not looking in the right places for hankies. Grace Brothers used to sell nice hankies when we lived in NSW, but I'm not about to travel interstate to buy hankies. lol

Remember when ladies used to do embroidery and made the most exquisite hankies by the dozen? Well many tucked them away in drawers. After they've passed on, or simply moved on, their families come along and don't appreciate their embroidered hankies, or their doileys that they've spent many hours creating, or their beautiful tatted pieces and simply donate them to op shops. Admittedly, hankies in good condition are not common there, but they do turn up.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8516134

❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤
❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤
It's Easter Sunday ...I miss hiding the Easter Eggs that was so much fun.
Enjoy it while they a little ones, they grow up so quickly.

Have a lovely morning everyone!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 23, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8516682

Your characters actually look like the lace from a pretty hankie, Chrissy...

As I said, I ate my Darryl Lea egg yesterday and tonight I will start on my Cherry Ripe one and tomorrow I will probably be sick...
They are especially nice on these dull days...
Anthony, isn't it great that you have little Molly to enjoy Easter eggs with...I bet she ended up with heaps...

Jean, what size do you take in sox...I buy mine, black or white from a chemist in Anglesea, they are about 3pr for $12...
I buy them only from that shop...we go for a drive there, quite often...long ones in winter, shorties in summer...they wash beautifully too...and they are very soft with wide tops that aren't tight...perfection in sox...

Looking around the garden for camera practice, I saw this snail shell suspended in mid air...
I realised that it was being held in place by a spider web...this clever spider is living in the shell.
When I touched the web, he/she shot out of the shell to check out his latest lunch...when he saw that it was me, he/she rushed back in...probably contemplating how much silk he/she would need to wrap me up...
What an effort to raise the shell, it is about 45cm off the ground...did he/she carry it up or did he attach silk and haul it up?
What an enterprising spider...if he was human he would probably be a housing developer...lol

This is as I first saw the shell...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 23, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8516683

This is after he saw me and was reversing back in...

I thought that I had missed the shot...

This message was edited Apr 24, 2011 4:32 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8516720

Ha ha ha a hermit spider, they do that in my Brug blooms sometimes.
look what I found for Jean ...I raided a shop specialising in antiques and the Easter Greetings are lovely old post cards.
So gentle and old fashioned. the Hanky came from another shop.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8516721

mmm maybe this one

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8516724

Antique ones ...sorry they are only cyber ones Jean.
Ease up on the chocs ...awe what the heck it's only once a year,
go for it!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 23, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8516734

Chrissy, I love the hanks. So pretty. I have some really beautiful ones in the lot I bought from USA. One is unusual, showing a young couple dancing. real old rock 'n' roll with the full skirt flaring out.
Thanks for the tip Dianne. I will check out the chemists in Hamilton. I did find some nice socks last week in Aldis . They are mens but very comfortable. I cant wear thick socks even when my feet are freezing. I do wear my sheepskin slippers a lot in the cold weather. I have to always remember to take them off when I wander outside.
That spider is very clever. Must be one of the ones that use rolled up leaves. He/she must have decided to go upmarket. A Toorak spider ??
I have moved all my broms and am having a rest. I still have a bit of the shadehouse to demolish. I only came across one huntsman and one centipede so far. They must have known I was coming and made a run for it before I squished them.
Let me tell you, when a huntie is looking you in the eye, a hammer is a great weapon. Squish. ...
Anthony, how lovely to spend some fun time with Molly , looking for Easter Eggs.
Better go and put my tools away and close up the greenhouse for the night.
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 24, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8516744

Jean, I'm with you on men's socks. That's all I wear. David Jones used to sell plain white hankies, with embroidery in one corner. I used to crochet a pretty border around the edge if they didn't have one. Always gave them away as gifts, so none left :
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 24, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8516782

my beautiful old aunty bev used to have those lovely hankies and when she brought them out,they would smell of lavender or napthalene,..,its amazing how many memories,revolve around my aunty bev,considering,she died when i was 23,.,.homemade christmas bikkies,..,cooking mutton birds,..,.,christmas lilies,.,.pet birds,,..beautiful roast meals,..,sleep well everybody-anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8516979

Happy Easter everyone. Wonder How that spider got that shell up there both pictures are great!!!!
Loved them...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8517189

Lest we forget ...
http://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/roll_of_honour/photographs.asp
Remembering our Anzacs.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8517263

In memoriam

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 24, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8517841

LEST WE FORGET. Good morning everyone. Quite nippy here this morning. The boys are still snoozing and it lovely and quiet. Not much planned for today yet. The boys have still lots of chocolate to eat. Easter Bunny came Friday night here this time as Uncle John was here but the boys reckon he might come again Saturday night. He didn't. Can someone please put up a couple of really good pics of OSA for me to have a look at? John brought me some pieces of this beautiful orange brug . I have one flower yet to come out and want to see if it's OSA. I hope everyone is feeling well today. How are the sore shoulders going? I always get a sore neck but I get the boys to massage my shoulders and the pain goes. I hope you all have a wonderful day and I'll be back later. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8517913

Good morning everyone. The sun is coming over the trees and the morning is quite nippy but stayed fine for all the dawn services.
I never forget, as along with so many families, I have one of the Anzacs in my family. My grandfather , who was killed at Gallipoli and is buried there.
Such young men, giving their all for their country. We should never forget what their sacrifice gave us. A beautiful free country .
I always have a thought for all those others in all the other wars , both past and present, too.
We are so lucky that there were and are still, people like them in larger numbers than the pathetic few that have no regard for themselves or anyone else.
Rest in Peace, grandad.
I'm off outside to enjoy the sun and finish yesterdays demolition work. Enjoy your day with family or on your own .
Have a cuppa and a few Anzac Biscuits and sit in your gardens for a while reflecting on those brave men and women who allowed us to have those gardens.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8517931

Sorry, forgot to leave out the biscuits. Add a photo if you like , of your brave soldiers. The more we put them out there, hopefully the more they will be remembered. No need for names if that is personal, but photos of those young men ( and women) are all we have left. Once we are gone , a lot of those photos will be forgotten. You can put photos into the archives at this site. You can also look for relatives that died in the wars.
http://mappingouranzacs.naa.gov.au/default.aspx
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 24, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8517949

Good morning everyone!
Lest we forget...a time to think of those who gave their life for our country. We too should be willing to stand up for the "Aussie" way of life.

Jean...I say "thank you" to your your grandfather for his sacrifice for a better life for me and mine.

I was thinking I would get some gardening done this afternoon but it is raining again here this morning.
Looks like it could be a visiting day for me.

I found this Cattleya orchid out in flower this morning.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 25, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8519870

Good morning everyone. Very quiet in here today. I am sure you are all enjoying time with family over Easter.
I love these warmer autumn days and getting lots done outside, but I know it wont last long. Winter will be upon us in no time.
I have just about finished the demolition of the old shadehouse and moved the few plants left in there. The Dracunculus had formed 3 big bulbs and now resides in the corner of the front grass garden alongside the tiger lilies.
The monsteria will go into the old begonia greenhouse today. should do well there. It was grown from an old bit I found in the tip years ago. I found 2 small Elephant Ears coming up in the zygo house too. I did have a couple of them in pots about 5 years ago which died. I left the old dead bits laying on the ground behind the new shelves when I moved all the zygos in. The new plants have sprouted from the old dead stalks. They must have been lying there thinking about growing again for a while because they were certainly very dead when I tipped them out of the pots. .
Marvellous thing , nature.
I hope you all had a lovely time over the weekend . It seems the weather was fine everywhere .
Teresa, I hope the shakes had a holiday for NZ's weekend.
Louise , are you there yet ???? lol
Charleen, Hope you and the furry ones enjoyed Easter too.
Hello to everyone else. The sun is out and I am off outside to enjoy it.
Happy gardening . Here is a very yummy Braided Fruit Loaf to enjoy.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 25, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8519900

Good morning world. A bit of a shower to start the day. Actually, haven't heard from Teresa for a while. I hope all is well there.

Barry took out a small area that was hopelessly overgrown by brute force. I'd been trying to poison it, but the rains kept washing the stuff away. I want the area to be a bromeliad patch, with maybe a seat and an ornament to make it look inviting. It would be a winter spot for me to sit as it gets a little bit of winter sun at high noon, if its lucky. On one side is my tillandsia wall. Will be up to me to fill in the rest.

Hope Easter has been a good one for each of you. I've enjoyed the time out, and managed to explore a couple of nurseries too.

Karen

Lizard at nursery...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 25, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8519962

Good morning everyone. Cool and sunny here this morning. We have had absolutely beautiful weather for the Easter break. Dalfyre was going to an Airshow for Easter. That is one fat little lizard Karen. Either well fed or maybe is going to be a Mum, do you think. Jean you have been so busy with Shadehouses and moving plants. I have just been sorting the boy's winter uniforms out for washing. The summer ones go away for 2 terms now. Black lace up shoes and socks and ties. They do look lovely. Still no camera. I can't make up my mind. I do want another Kodak, but everyone seems to think they're not much good and I can't seem to get the M883 that I had before. It took beautiful pics and I was very happy with it. It only lasted about 3 years though. Do you think this is a normal life for a $149 camera? I don't want to spend anymore than that, but I do miss it. Well lots of washing and housework to do so must move. Be back later. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 25, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8520167

Colleen, I would want a lot more years from any camera than 3 years. I had my Canon 35mm for about 20 years before digital came in. ( I still have it put away, couldnt bear to throw it out )
We have a small digital one that came with our old printer . Hubby uses this and it does a good pic for anything he wants, I did use it for a while but wanted a really good one for flower pics.
I know over $600 is a lot but I wanted another Canon to replace my old faithful 35mm. I paid this one off so it wasnt too much at once. I love it . Once I work out how to use each thingy, I go on to the next one. I like that it came with a really comprehensive book . It also came with a smaller book for quick access that I keep in my camera bag. The software program is also very good with a copy of the handbook to read on the computer and lots of things to play with.
There are a lot of cameras out there that do a good job. The best thing is to find a camera shop or at least a shop that has someone who can tell you all the details of the cameras they sell. I got mine at Harvey Norman who I find are great for any after sales advice too. .
BTW, your Clementine cutting is growing like a mad thing here.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 25, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8520237

Jean Brian had a Canon that he paid a lot of money for and his pics were never as good as from my little Kodak. You may be right about it not lasting long but I did leave it out in the rain one day so it could all be my fault. I'll keep looking. Glad that Clementine is growing. Has she flowered yet? It had buds on when I sent it but they probably fell off. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 25, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8520654

No buds on the cutting of Clementine , but she is growing well. Maybe next year.
With cameras, I find they do vary even in the one brand name. Also a lot to do with the user. I sometimes get awful pics because I am either too impatient or didnt use the right setting. It does have automatic which gives lovely pics, but I do like to play with all the buttons.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 25, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8520793

Buttons scare me ...I am always waiting for something to break when I push one ...what always surprises me is that they don't break most times, I killed my last camera by dropping it.
My camera is just a cheap little one it's called fujifilm (it was on special for about 170.00 with the thingy plug to put it into the puter) it has lots of settings that I don't understand ...the set up in this new puter is a bit weird with the pics but I just keep plodding along.
We had some fairly hot temps over the weekend between the drizzles, but temps dropping overnight, drizzling on and off over the past week, it went all night and all day here, it's almost 3 in the arvo and it's still drizzling, I have tracked muddy clay everywhere :(
Don't know if it was worth the efforts outside because I am wet through, but I miss the garden when I haven't had the time or opportunity to go play with my plants.
My poor Ginko is not going to be it's spectacular self this Winter ...it lost so many leaves in that horror hail storm and the ones still on it are torn as well ...what a shame, I love the Autumn colour it presents, butter yellow mulch too.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

April 25, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8520810

Good afternnon everyone.
'Tis Easter Tuesday and very quiet around here. Made date & walnut loaf..yummo...roast dins to be attacked when I feel motivated...hmmmmm.
Went with D. to Erina Fair shopping centre on Easter Sunday...everyone was there, or so it seemed. So very busy. A lass from Bed, Bath & Table commented that it was busier than Xmas time.
So pleased that you all are in better health. Keep well. Now is time for flu' shots. We had ours last week and David is to have a pneumonia shot this week, (well, anti-pneumonia), ...could not go thru' another episode of tripe o and hospitalisation in middle of night with husband unable to breathe. Over 65's can have these injections for $0 @ local GP..

Bunnies: Missed our grandson...no egg hunting for us. The years fly by...if only his father realised. I do know that it is children who make Christmas & Easter worthwhile. I love white chocolate and had a one on Sunday. Bought D. a creamy, milk egg for his Sunday treat. He said that he enjoyed it but it made his tooth ache. Can't win ém all.
White lace hankes? Bought a couple at Myers last week, expensive tho'. I know have four! Birthday in September, so here's hoping.
As for thongs and Bond's... I wore thongs/Gstring nickers for years but now find a nice pair of nylon, lace, cotton-gusset hipsters do me well. Olde age you see.
Real estate: 2 very interested parties through last Saturday...cross fingers and pray. Agent to be in touch Wednesday. Here's hoping.
Colleen I left my mobile out in the rain. Doesn't help at all. We've had present camera for more than 5 yrs but I still do not know how to use it properly. D. can't find the booklet. So, it is the blind leading the...We paid $400 for ours, but it was a while ago. Obviously not the best available but does for our purposes. It is a difficult decison to make and a fair bit of the hard-come-by $. Good luck. Those boys must look at teat in their winter uniforms. You never stop. When they finish with your neck massage send them over here.

Garden: Nothing interesting here on the 9th floor without sunshine. However, you all seem to having fun with roses, brugs etc. Your gardens sound delightful. We went to a open garden last weekend...it was beautiful. I'm looking forward to starting all over again...I think.
Would like to know about the Airshow. My son and husband went to an Airshow in Victoria about 2 years ago & had a great time. D. used to fly light aircraft until four years ago. He flew for many years. We used to go away quite frequently with the children & I remember packing sandwiches and flasks of juice in the event of an accident. That's confidence for you...lol. He certainly misses that hobby wonder if there is a site with calender for shows?
Must go...
Keep smiling
Cheers
Anna :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 25, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8520827

http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2011/index.html
Here is the Avalon program, Anna...it was on last month...we get the planes overhead, when they are practising...
Good luck with your unit sale...if you go to your camera's maker's website you should be able to download a manual...

Jean, I'm with you on the buttons...have to try them all...this little Ricoh is a beauty...I had one before digital cameras and loved it..
When I told the camera salesperson what I wanted it for...he recommended this straight away...I would love to be as proficient with it as he was...He was taking shots all over the shop and in the street using the Zoom and he knew exactly which setting to use..

I'm getting there slowly...

Beautiful day here...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 25, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8520838

Dianne is that Frosty Pink? She looks beautiful. Hi Anna. Great to see you pop in. Hope the sale goes through and you get your little garden back. It has been very busy around here in town too. We had the Sunday Monthly market and it was packed. I hope everyone did well for all their trouble in carting the goods there. Thanks for the tips about the cameras. Mine will have to be under $200, but I'm sure that I'll be able to find some thing. Had a great drying day and now all the iron's waiting for me to feel energised. I usually iron on Sunday nights while I watch Midsommer Murders or such. I don't watch a lot but there is a few shows that I don't mind. Must go and think about tea for the growing boys. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 26, 2011
12:32 AM

Post #8520852

well I am back...
wet weather but the air show was great!
We have already discussed getting into the same group booking for the motel next time - Easter 2013.
Met up with lots of aviation forum members, so nice to put faces to names & to have the blokes say they enjoy my posts...
I don't have much to say but put in comical asides to my hubby's missives.
This is us at the awards dinner... most people dressed casual but I like to dress like a girl sometimes.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 26, 2011
12:41 AM

Post #8520855

I loved the motel...
really nice rooms & attractive landscaping

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 26, 2011
12:44 AM

Post #8520856

room decoration

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 26, 2011
12:47 AM

Post #8520857

I really like this succulent, would like some for here.
I have seen it growing in a garden up the road so it should do ok...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 26, 2011
12:59 AM

Post #8520861

one of the props...
the theme was V for Victory.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 26, 2011
1:14 AM

Post #8520864

seven fokker triplanes...
the Omaka air show is famous for the WWI aircraft, several of which are owned by Peter Jackson - the director of a few good movies, Lord Of the Rings trilogy, King Kong among others.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 26, 2011
1:54 AM

Post #8520869

look at those fokkers,and look at you pair,dolled up to the 9's,.glad you enjoyed yourselves,everybody needs a holiday!!,..,.,i went to work today,.,.[pointless really],.,.12 months since Fay passed away,i took cocky to the cemetary yesterday,wore him out,,..,i got 6 outa 7 in the football tipping ,good game this afternoon!!!no AUS POST pickups today,so all in the post tomorrow 'ladies',..,i have a big bulb order here,and i cant get in contact with the buyer.,.',not good',..,,..,must go to bed now,anthony
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 26, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8522032

Teresa, great to see you back, and love the pics of you dressed up. Those fokkers are amazing, aren't they! Glad you enjoyed the show. I had forgotten you were going. Mind you, there's not a lot I do remember these days.

Anthony, maybe your bulb buyer was away for the Easter break? Hope he's more readily contactable now.

Hello everyone. Its a grey morning here. We did more pulling up and chopping into bite size pieces for the garden waste bag yesterday, and this morning my hands are driving me crazy with dermatitis. But it was so well worth it. My future brom patch is emerging at last from the mighty jungle.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 26, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8522189

Good morning everyone. It is a good morning here. We have had a few really lovely autumn days and a few more to come before the cold comes back. I see in the paper that the forecast for winter is maybe a short cold and drier winter and an early spring. I hope so.
Hello Teresa, so glad you had a good time and dont you two look fine and fancy.
I showed hubby the planes. He likes any sort of planes.
Hello Anthony. My pots are all ready for the new bulbs. I am planning on a special bulb place so I can see them all when I sit outside. My hippies will be there with the liliums and a few yellow clivias..
Hello Dianne and Colleen. That brug looks wonderful. I wish mine would grow like that. well GHA does but the others are slow.
Hello Anna, I hope you get a sale soon and can move where you can make a start on a new garden.
Karen sounds like you have been very busy. You will have some fun getting plant into the new space.
Hello Chrissy. It must smell beautiful in your garden now , with all the flowers on the brugs.
I finally finished getting all the old shadehouse down and moved all the timber down the back. Hubby will burn most of it in his fireplace in the radio room during winter. I moved the plants that were in there out to the garden. I had fun with Green Goddess arum as she had grown to twice the size of any out in the garden. No more soft living for her, she now has to live among the trees.
I also move a camellia. My lovely "Donation " She has been struggling to grow in the corner of the front yard so now she is out near the irises i the open and has room to spread her arms.
Better move as its doctodr appointment today for mu annual checkup.
I wont mention that I wore myself out getting the shadehouse moved and also strained my arm muscle by reaching up to try and lever off the cross pieces of the frame .
Have a lovely day and please try some of this yummy Buttermilk Fruitcake.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 26, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8522346

Morning all...fog everywhere this morning...it will be a beautiful day...
Great pics, Teresa..yes, it is nice to be girlie, every now and again...most times it's jeans for me.

Hope that buyer turns up Anthony, can be a touch frustrating, when you have prepared the order.
Donation is such a lovely Camellia, Jean...it will do very well I'm sure...
That Brug is a very pale at the moment,Bruce's Pink, Colleen...incidently that new Brug of yours sounds pretty.
Have a great day everyone...
Back later.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8522452

Here you all go, A beautiful Charley Farm setting. I love this, hope you all do.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 26, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8522473

Charleen that's my idea of heaven, with some flowers around too. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8522644

That just about is heaven. Thank you, Colleen. Now here is a nice iris...
Love the happy color of this one...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 26, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8522802

Me too Charleen and Colleen ... love the farm friends!

love the pretty brugs Dianne, (of course).

love the happy couple having a wonderful time after everything you have been through Therese,

Love Anthony playing with the lillies ...hope everything works out mate.

Not loving the skin problems Pam hope it gets better soon (I get it if I peel a lot of spuds).

Loving foggy mornings (though you can keep the drizzle and red sticky clay)

Love Anna dreaming about her new garden.

Love that I am not the only one scared of buttons.

Love that some are clever with buttons Jean.

Missing some of the happy faces (perhaps still on holidays)

Love the smell of soup simmering on the stove.

Love that the nurse was happy with my brothers progress ( I had to care for the cellulitus wounds over the holiday ...I was a bit nervous ).

Love this ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 27, 2011
1:32 AM

Post #8523383

hi everyone,im off to the garden club meeting,.,.i am entering a miniature daffodil''nylon'',a stem of ''tom thumb'' fucshia,and an attempt at an 'anzac day' floral art themed entry thingamywhatset!!!,Dianne,check your computer inbox!!!i got through on the phone to the lily order lady,'finally',they went away for easter!,.all orders have been filled barring 1!-hes very fussy,and he wants a couple of the late bloomers,which arent ready yet,..,my import tango lilies are about to 'pop' into flower,should be a great sight,.,.,.anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 27, 2011
1:59 AM

Post #8523393

Good luck Anthony ...the thingamywhatsit sounds intriguing.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 27, 2011
3:21 AM

Post #8523419

Anthony does your Garden Club have a website?
The local Buderim Garden Club just posted a new website.
http://www.buderimgardenclub.com/
I especially like it to check dates and times for meetings and outings.

Good luck with the flower competition.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 27, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8524588

Good morning everyone. Another lovely morning here and hopefully another beautiful autumn day. Hubby says cold and rain are on the way.
Shopping day again so I am off to get ready. Hello Chrissy, Anthony, Dianne, Teresa, Karen, Elaine, Pam and Colleen.
Charleen and Louise will be busy in their spring gardens.
I hope you all get some nice weather.
Heres something to have with your cuppa. Caramel Crunch Cake.
I'm off shopping and searching for orphans.
Happy gardening ,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 27, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8524639

Hi everyone. Wet and quite cool here this morning. I have wet birds all over my verandah, hoping for a treat or two.

Charleen, that iris is gorgeous, and I love Charley and his angels pic.

Remember Rosie, the sick bird that came in a while back? She got better and I let her go. Well, she's back. She will fly into the house if I leave a door open, but she won't let me near her. She's trying to get back in with Toby. I won't try to catch her, as she seems well enough. But nice to see that she survives and remembers us.

Have a lovely day.
Karen

This message was edited Apr 27, 2011 5:02 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 27, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8525060

Good morning everyone. Goodness lots of things going on in the brug site re imported seeds. I guess mine will be held up too. It might just be easier to re-order and make sure that the requirements are met before they are sent. Dianne have you got any coming? Another beautiful day. The boys and I have just given the house a bit of a clean. Little Cameren always likes to get a soapy cloth and wipe the doorways and walls etc. I have just inherited Brian's 64cm TV so now the boys have our old one to play their games on. I haven't put it in the bedroom though, I just set it up on their little table and move it out for them to play on. I don't want to put TVs or computers in their rooms. Maybe I'm old fashioned. At least when they're out here I can control what's going on and still interact with them. The brugs are flowering beautifully as are the salvias and oleanders. The roses are just about ready for their sleep and haircut to get ready for Spring. Am making a little space up by the galahs cage so that I can store my hippy seedlings etc for the Winter. I need another couple of acres here. lol but I suppose I would fill that up too. I had a couple call in the other day to have a look at the cactus. They were gobsmacked to say the least to see so many. I gave them a lot of Brian's cactus and a few pups off mine but I did charge them $5 for a Golden ball. For one about 8" big they would pay $20 or so for. They were very happy and said that they would be back. In the meantime they are saving all their 8-10" pots for me to pot the brugs into. A fair swap I reckon. Now all I have to do is find someone who will swap potting soil for plants. lol. Must go as have a bit of washing to get done. The ironing is still waiting too. What's the old saying. A woman's work is never done. be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 27, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8525252

Colleen, no probs with the seeds from OS as long as they put what they are on the outside...mine from different suppliers have all arrived without any delay...
The only time they were confiscated is when there was nothing written on the outside, to say what the seeds were...since then,
straight through.
Rosie is lovely, Karen...nice to see that she is healthy and visits you.

Jean, I might have a slice of that cake with my cuppa...beautiful day,
Sent you an email, Anthony...waiting on your reply...don't forget to post those Tangos when they flower..
Did you do well last night?
Marlene, what a great website...I will send it on to my local club...

Catch up later...here's OA for you Colleen, before it gets to it's pretty Apricot.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 27, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8525347

Dianne the one that John brought up is definitely not OA. You know how some brugs start out yellow as they're coming out of the calyx, well this one is already orange/dusky pink with long tendrils. I can't wait to get some pics of it when John gets time to get them. I might have a camera. whooohooo will let you know tonight. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 27, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8525455

yes!- i won with the 'nylon' mini daff,and won the floral art sector,.,.2nd with the fucshia,..,i dont know about a website,i will check,..,i just had a huge bag of 'trumpet ' lilium bulbs arrive[assorted] in the mail-van,.,.i ll have to do some planting-some of these could be really interesting-anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2011
12:36 AM

Post #8525542

hey good for you Anthony! ...glad you had such a good time and congratulations.

Well Jeane it's same today as yesterday 5 or 6 mins of sun then more rain ...more wind and cold.

golly all the drama with the seeds :( hope it gets sorted out everyone.

No I don't like TV in the bedroom ...that is a no no here too though lots of people like to have them.
I did have when I was in my 20's but I have a radio to listen to instead for myself, I like to hear the chat as I fall asleep.

Nice garden club link Marleneann

Enjoy your evening everyone :)

I will be getting up to watch the wedding tomorrow, I am a sucker for weddings, I did have a cry when Princess Mary married her Prince Charming, can't watch a fella cry without reaching for the Kleenex and to see a handsome Prince weep with love as his bride approached ...well.
This is Dianna's son and that alone will require tissues ! I truly hope they live happily ever after.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 28, 2011
3:07 AM

Post #8525596

Great going Anthony. You must have a good haul of trophies and prizes and ribbons now. I think that I have only ever won 2 trophies [tickets] 1st and 3rd prizes in the Royal Adelaide Show for sewing when I was 16. boy that's a long time ago. Colleen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 28, 2011
3:25 AM

Post #8525611

Hello everyone.

Congratulations Anthony on your winning flowers !

Chrissy & Dianne...My Purple Princess Brug has two big fat seed pods on it...how will I know when is it time to harvest them?

Picture of my newest garden statue named "Kenny"

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 28, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8525668

Hi Marlene. What is a purple princess brug? Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8525706

Hi Marlene do you mean this Brugmansia

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/4096-purple-princess/

If you have a seedling grown out from that cross purple princess it is a purple princess cross, brug seeds do not come true from seeds, they may be similar, may be better, or may be worse than the parents.
In order to get a seed from that brug you would need two parents.

Do you have a picture of your plant and pods?
Brug pods take a bit over 4 months here and may take longer if it's cold.
You don't mean a Datura do you ? Datura has a prickly pod that will break open.
Please show us a picture so we can advise.
Edited to say ...oh a cold group Brug ...you and Colleen need to get together she is growing the cold group brugs ...they need to be crossed with other cold group brugs as far as I know.
Interesting that you can grow it in QLD.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 10:52 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 28, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8525831

Whooopppeeee. My new camera is on the way.. Yipppeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8525994

Our very best wishes to the Happy Couple
May they have a long and happy life together !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA6ptCIM3dk

¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤
❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤

Let the bells ring out !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 28, 2011

Post #8526804

Good morning everyone. A brilliant red sky here this morning so it looks like the weather may get a bit wet and cold. Another lovely day yesterday . I love walking around town when its sunny. Not an orphan in sight but I have 2 large bags of potting mix ready to do a lot of potting.
My doctor told me the other day that if I want to try and get rid of the lumpy bit around my middle I need to cut down on carbohydrates. Apparently they are the culprit much more than fats.
She advised cutting down on anything made with grains. Bread, biscuits, cereals etc. That means , less toast, crumpets and less cereals. She suggested trying eggs and tomatoes for breakfast. . Maybe a slice of quiche made without the pastry. Lots of fruit and vegetables too, which I do love.
It is not something essential I need to do for my health , just to get rid of the "muffin top"which can be uncomfortable , especially when sitting. I want my waist back.
I said to hubby, that I must look for an egg poacher and while we were in Harvey Norman , I asked and they had the cutest one. Hubby bought it straight away for me. It is a Sunbeam, which will poach 2 eggs, boil 6 eggs, make a 2 egg omelet or steam small vegies . It has a buzzer which reminds you the eggs are done. I tried it this morning and had 2 perfect poached eggs with a tomato. I love it.
Ladies , if you have that middle aged "muffin top" hanging around your middle, try it.
Hello Chrissy. I wont be watching the royal wedding specifically but will get to see it on the news. I wish them well and a much happier life than Dianna had.
Hello Colleen, we expect to see lots of brilliant pics when the camera arrives.
Anthony, congrats on the awards. You are getting quite a collection of prizes now. Hope Cocky is going along well too.
Hello Dianne, Karen, Pam, Marlene and Teresa.
Charleen, I do like that photo of Charley and his farmyard friends.
Louise, are you getting settled back in at NH ?
Hello everyone else I am going out to check on flowers to photograph while the sun is out.
Have a lovely day. I hope the rain eases off for those up north . You have certainly had enough for a while..
Here something to nibble with your cuppa. Cinnamon Rolls.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2011

Post #8526826

I only have a couple of minutes here as the nurse is coming today.

Jean frittata is so versatile and delicious ...you can have so many different ingredients that you would never be bored.

Just chuck in whatever you like!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-or-Cold-Vegetable-Frittata/Detail.aspx.

I feel so silly , I thought the wedding was this morning :(
Oh well all the better.

Enjoy your morning everyone back after the nurse has finished.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 28, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8526870

Chrissy, fritata was what I was trying to remember. oh well another granny moment. I must write everything down .
Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 28, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8527589

[quote="ctmorris"]Hi Marlene. What is a purple princess brug? Colleen[/quote]

It is a Brugmansia or Datura called Purple Princess.
I should have posted on the Brugmansia thread.
It has seed pods on it...(as seen in pic) just wanted to know when to harvest them?

Thumbnail by Marleneann

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8527611

So there is a Purple Princess Brug and a Purple Princess Datura? Can't find one of that name but there are a few Purples, it's pretty.

Ok well I haven't seen a pod like that one before my Datura pods had prickles on it but it was a different kind.

My Purple Datura finally died in the cold but it did grow for three seasons (no blooms).

I thought they all were prickly ...maybe the prickles pop out later, the pod will start to split a bit and then you will know it's ripe.

Good luck! hope you do well with them.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 28, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8527638

I am sure there will be spare seeds Chrissy if you want to try again.
By the way...a grower of gingers came to visit me and told me her nursery had received confirmation that the government was banning the growing of some ginger plants.
She said they were also looking at banning Brugmansia. Have you heard anything along these lines. Maybe it's a Queensland regulation.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8527648

Some gingers are being banned as weeds. :(

As far as I know the Brugs are safe for now ...that is an alleged drug issue, I hardly think we are in the drug business and they would need to prove we were.

If you have any left over after sharing I can try again, but the way things are going I think QLD and NSW may snow this Winter.
Fingers crossed the weather will be kinder next year.
We can swap some seeds if you like.
I have some Star Dancer x open pollinated x Aztec Gold Brug seeds if you want to swap some, very fresh.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 3:44 PM

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 28, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8527657

Chrissy...I have enough Brugmansia for now thanks but when my pods open I will send you seeds of Purple Princess. No exchange needed. Funny but other times when it flowered it was much more frilled. Maybe a season change.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8527677

Yes some funny things happening in the garden ...hopefully next year will be kinder.
Wayne has his seeds through so set your minds at rest everyone ...great news.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2011
12:28 AM

Post #8527722

Marleneann, your plant is a Datura metel.

http://www.beautanicals.com.au/daturametel.html

This is a double purple just getting ready to open

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 29, 2011
1:07 AM

Post #8527729

There are some beautiful Daturas now, especially the Chocolate box varieties..very tempting...

Marlene, we had a petition details, running on another thread re the banning of a lot of plants, Cacti, Brugs, Gingers ,Natives,etc
We are waiting now for the results.
Your Datura is lovely...when I was a child, all Brugs were called Daturas...when you see them now you can notice the difference

Well done Anthony at the meeting...I would love to be in your garden when all your Liliums are in in flower.
I will be planting mine tomorrow, thank you.

Hooray, Colleen...looking forward to your pics again...
Well we have a wedding to watch...enjoy

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 29, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8527810

[quote="themoonhowl"]Marleneann, your plant is a Datura metel.

http://www.beautanicals.com.au/daturametel.html

This is a double purple just getting ready to open

[/quote]

Thanks for that information.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 29, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8527814

[quote=
Marlene, we had a petition details, running on another thread re the banning of a lot of plants, Cacti, Brugs, Gingers ,Natives,etc
We are waiting now for the results.
Your Datura is lovely...when I was a child, all Brugs were called Daturas...when you see them now you can notice the difference

Dianne can you please PM that link to me please?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8528144

There was a great hue and cry here in the states a few years ago over daturas. The plant contains a compound much like scopolamine. It came to light that the drug was being used to commit crimes in Colombia. It seems a bunch of kids in the US were experimenting with Jimson Weed (Datura stromonium) and it is poison...commonly called Loco weed. Things died down and not much more was said or done except here in Louisiana. Datura and Brugmansia are illegal to grow "for human consumption".

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/scopolamine/borrachero.html

http://boingboing.net/2007/09/27/scopolamine-zombie-d.html

Laws:
Datura: http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_law.shtml

Brugmansia: http://www.erowid.org/plants/brugmansia/brugmansia_law.shtml
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 29, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8528802

Good morning everyone. Still fine weather here and I am able to get lots of the tidying up done in the garden.
Hubby had news on his radio site that the awful tornados in USA hit Barnesville in Georgia , which is where our lovely friend Charleen is. I hope she is safe. It has been terrible over there, with so many deaths. Louise, I hope also that your place in Florida is okay. Our sympathies to all the bereaved and devastated people over there.
On the other side of the globe, the royal wedding seems to have gone off really well. I never watched but was interested to see the dress this morning. Such a beautiful dress, Simple and elegant , like the wearer.
I wish them well.
Hello to Teresa, Pam, Karen, Colleen, Dianne, Chrissy, Anthony and Marlene. Elaine , I hope you are well up there too.
Getting a bit overcast here so I will get out and finish a few jobs I have started.
Lots of weeds growing well so the Roundup will be coming out .
Have a great weekend and enjoy your gardens.
Try these Raspberry Coconut Slices.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 29, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8528903

Good morning. The sun is out but we've had rain overnight so all is clear and sparkling for now.

I watched part of the wedding, mainly the ceremony itself, but I can't believe, I missed the kiss! I must have blinked at the wrong time! But I loved the dress, and Kate was a magnificent bride. I enjoyed seeing what people were wearing too. Those funny little wispy hats that perched like twigs and feathers on people's heads really intrigued me. If I wore something like that, it would fall skewiff and mess up my hair do, for sure.

I know the royals are under a cloud these days, with people wondering why they are even there, but I love the pomp and grandeur, and the way people gather to catch a glimpse of them. The world is going crazy these days, and a bit of tradition to hold onto and admire, or just gossip about, is important to me.

Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8528977

I spoke with Charlene this morning for I too was concerned for her. She is safe, but without power for the last couple days. The tornadoes in Barnesville touched down about 5 miles from her home. All of the longears are also fine. She will be back as soon as power is restored.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 5:56 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 29, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8528980

Marlene here is the link...http://www.gardenfreedom.com/

Those storms in Georgia were terrifying...all thoughts with Charleen and her family and animals until we hear from them...

Pretty woman, pretty dress...William and Harry did their mother and father proud...Fergies two looked like Fergie...oooh that hat...
The bride's sister looked great.
Victoria Beckham must have been drinking vinegar all the way through the ceremony.

Have a good gardening day.
Dianne

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8529076

The Wedding, what little I saw of them standing on the balcony was gorgeous. Even saw the Queen Mum on the Balcony,
Boy was I happy to get my Electricity on this afternoon. Thank you all for the love and the phonecall I love you...I'll try to down load you a pic. It was horrible. Charley and donkeys are fine.
Our elect beenn off since Wed. got the top of my refrigerator freezer cleaned out☺ it was starting to thaw. Gave stuff to a friend. she still had Electricity. ☺

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 29, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8529080

oh dear poor Charleen ...those poor poor people over in the devastated areas, the toll of destruction is unspeakable.
These are such tragic times for the World at the moment we shall all be so glad to see the back of 2011.

In times like these some joy and love helps to lift the spirits ... we need it.
The joy shining in the faces last night was beautiful.

I hope the newly weds break the pattern and have a long and happy marriage.

The Hats *Stifling a giggle* ummm

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8529090

Me too!! They were so b eautiful. I hope he is going to be a better man than his Father. Shame on me, I shouldn't have said that but I'm hoping everything will be wonderful for they. The entire family looked so grand in their wedding attire. The Queen Mum was so cheery in her yellow.
Wonderful. We will just say a prayer for all and the weather too...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 29, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8529204

Charleen I wrote my post before you signed in ...hugs! I am so happy you are ok, how are you bearing up?
Our hearts go out to all of you over there, these days we seem to be having a disaster here, there and everywhere,
there seems to be flattened, crumbling, burnt or flooded homes in just about every corner of the World.
Pray for our World and it's people within.

I hope most who have suffered have had but a few hours of sharing the happiness in the streets of England.
Everyone loves a wedding and we were allowed to share in a grand one.

The children who had made their little hats ...far nicer than some of the adult ones were just so darling.
This has been a short few hours to forget the problems of the World.
We love William (well most of us do) and want the very best for him and his new bride and although we have lost his lovely mother we still have him.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 29, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8529263

Charleen, so glad to see you. I was worried about any tornado near you. Hubby has a friend in Georgia and he said the devastation was terrible. Hugs to you and all the long ears. Stay safe.
Just been reading the paper and looking at the beautiful Kate in that delightful dress. Didnt William look so proud and smart in his red jacket ?
Had to run outside to see what all the commotion was about. There is a koala sitting in the tree at the back door.
The magpies are going mad . As long as the koala sits still they dont worry but he is climbing around and they are very annoyed at the stranger in their tree. . He/she will settle down and spend the day up there.
We often get one and I wonder if its the same one that likes to visit.
Better go and decide whats for lunch. Enjoy the day.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8529270

She was magnificent, our Princess Di. I didn't get to see much of the wedding but will try to catch up as much as I can. But What little I saw was beautiful. My Mother would have loved it. She loved Princess Diana.
I do pretty good, then when we drive past that area it is heartbreaking to look at all the damage. It is unbelievable. So glad it missed us but sorry for the folks it did hit. It caused a lot of damage. We can only pray for them...
I know those children loved the wedding. Street parties everywhere.
Yes, I do love Prince William and his Beautiful bride too. So very happy for them...☺☺
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8529474

Hi Mates!
The wedding was gorgeous! Diana would have been proud of both of her boys (young men). I think she would have liked Kate! I do! I think they will make a great couple. I hope that they are both very happy!

The tornados were horrible! Such a high death rate. They normally don't get many in Ga. and Alabama. It was just devastating. Saw it on the news. So sad!

I knew that brugs were poisonous but did not realize that it was loco weed. I have several plants on the side of my house. No one messes with them that I know of. We do have a lot of teens in the neighborhood...

All of your goodies look delicious. I'll have to go find a snack now! haha!
Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 29, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8529571

Hi Jeanne I am so happy you enjoyed the wedding ...it sure made for a change to the awful things happening in the World.

What do you mean you didn't know brugs were loco weed ? isn't that the Datura you are talking about? lots of things can kill you including daffodil bulbs, potato and rhubarb leaves etc.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 30, 2011
2:12 AM

Post #8529619

busy day,grocery shopping before 9 am,then to a church boot sale..for 2 hours,not too far from home,..,i loaded up with tangos and headed off at a slow speed,.,.a few sales later,i headed home[happy],left them in the ute and started ''re- organising the front yard,..,looks 'bewdiful ' now[sooty supervised],,,.,.[cocky was a party pooper and wouldnt get in his travel cage to go to the sale]probably because everybody wants to buy him,.,.anyway,im worn out,had a beautiful ''new pizza '' from 'la bella'',will watch 'the iron chef' and hit the sack--anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 30, 2011
2:32 AM

Post #8529625

I remember sitting up to watch Charles & Di get married...
as soon as I saw her dress I was so disappointed.
I thought it was awful & didn't suit her at all, Fergies dress was much nicer and now Kate's I loved it suited her & was classic & stylish & just right.
Her going away dress was lovely too... not many brides do that now, one of my friends did but I loved my wedding dress too much to change out of it a minute sooner than I had to.
I really didn't want the day to end - forget the wedding night - I just want to play dress ups for a bit longer :)

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 30, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8530693

Good morning everyone. We have had 1/2 inch of lovely rain during the night. Nothing heavy, just nice soaking rain. We are off to the Hamilton Trash & Treasure this morning. I always get lots of plants . The rain wont be much of a bother, as most of the stalls are inside the large shed at the showgrounds.
Anthony, glad you had such a successful day. Cocky probably gets tired of showing off and wanted a rest.
Hello to Colleen, Dianne, Pam, Karen, Chrissy, Elaine and everyone else popping in.
I had better put out something for you all to nibble on then get moving. I like to be there early before all the best plants are sold. Have a lovely day and enjoy your gardens even if it rains.
Try this Chocolate Pecan Pie.
Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 30, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8530823

Good morning everyone. A little bit of rain here. Not enough to stop me from washing though. Last day of holidays for the boys. I went to help a fellow arrange his cactus garden yesterday. Then he came back here and got some more. They're slowly going. I have heaps of pups on them though so will still have plenty. The brugs are flowering still. I have a new seedling of Brian's out this morning. Will go and have a closer look later when it fines up. The broms are looking really good since I split them and cleaned them up. Have put a couple of the palm pieces in there and grouped broms in pots on the top to give the SH a bit of dimension. Have been given a heap of pots but need some more soil now so will have to get that before I do anymore potting. Enjoy yourself at the markets Jean. be back later. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 30, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8530927

jean, [and everyone else,for that fact!] when you are frequenting these country markets,keep your eyes peeled for ''ATLANTIC'' or''GOLDEN FLEECE''-grease tins, in 'reasonable nic and at reasonable prices,.,.please,..,My back is killing me this morning and we got some beautiful rain overnight. I still have lots to do,in preparation for the bulbs i've ordered,and still some potting to do today,.,.anthony
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8530963

It sprinkled while ago, but we are so desperate for rain.

Chrissy, Is it the Datura that is the loco weed? I have seeds that I was going to plant.
Yes many things are poisonous. Oleander so I've heard.

My daylilies are blooming. One red with gold trim...can't think of the name...Colors are a bit washed out. I guess it's not hot enough for it yet. Several have produced more fans and scapes are shooting up all over. Hopefully it'll be a good year and I can make some crosses. They just didn't take last year. They were so late blooming then it got so hot so fast. Maybe this will be a good year for them.

Everyone have a great day!

Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8531066

hello Jeanne I don't think the Datura is a Loco weed ...I could be wrong, yes Oleanders are poisonous but I live in Cattle Country and the cattle don't care for them, if you want to avoid poisonous plants you would have top remove at least half of the plants in your garden, including many veggies (a lot have poisonous leaves or roots).
Yep your Spring is like ours (this year was an exception) it's over in a blink.

We are watching the sad sight of hundreds of pictures blown miles from the terrible tornado flattened towns, :(
I hope these poor folks are helped very quickly by your Gov., ours flood victims are still suffering.

Ok the sun is out for a change so I am off till later.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8531163

Here is what a mowed by Tornado, stand of trees look like.
The house is stripped of roofing. I don't believe anyone in it was hurt, but one lady told me it "sounded like 200 trains going over" She and her little dogs was in a closet. It got her roof damaged but she wasn't hurt. Sure did have a lot of damage. good to be back we are all o.k. here on our side. Thank you for caring.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 30, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8531331

I think that by the time 2011 is over, there won't be a continent/country that hasn't been touched in some way...imagine how frightened your friend would have been on her own,Charleen... so glad that the tornado missed you...what a tragedy...so many people...
Remember last year and Russia had a dreadful summer and so many elderly people died...
I hope that they are prepared this year.

Hope you had a successful day...Jean...we didn't get much rain...not enough anyway...
Jeanne, those Daylilies of yours sound pretty...I have a couple of them and they look after themselves don't they...Do you grow Liliums?
Anthony, what is a reasonable price for one of those tins in good condition?
Colleen, is that the fellow who bought some from you a while ago and said that he would be back?
Essendon is on so I am off.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 30, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8531394

Hello everyone. I'm back home. The day was not cold at all although one did need a jacket. The rain was mainly light showers and no wind. Every stall was inside so no bother looking around. I always do a quick walk around as I know where the usual plant stalls are. After looking and buying a sad bromeliad , I had a slower look around and ended up with 4 very nice salvias. . We had snags on bread and an egg & bacon sanga with a cuppa for lunch.
I saw a nice cement urn/vase sitting in a corner with a few artificial flowers in it. I asked the lady how much and she said make an offer as they only put it there for show. I got it ( flowers & all ) for $1.
We didnt stay too long as we had seen everything we wanted too.
I am going to try my plants there at the end of the year. Plants were selling like hot cakes . A large percentage were the most common everyday plants and lots of common succulents.
With the variety I have , I should do well. It will be a change from the local Trash &Treasure and Show . They didnt bother to let anyone know the date this year and I was waiting for an ad so I could get my plants ready. A friend said to me the other day, 'where were you at the T&T.' It had been held a month ago. They usually have a sign at the oval but we never go past that way. The date wouldnt have done any good because they changed it just before the event.
So much for encouraging locals to patronise it. . After the muck up last year at the show, I wont be going any more.
It has stopped raining and I have just planted my salvias. The brom will look lovely after it has been cared for a bit better.
I am going to have a cuppa now and put my feet up.
I hope you are all enjoying the day even if it is raining.
There are always catalogues to look at on rainy days.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 30, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8531406

No Dianne. different fellow. I have a few people, ladies too, coming to get cactus from me now. I had to do something and most of them I just give away but there are a few of the harder to get ones that I charge for. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 1, 2011
2:44 AM

Post #8531606

dianne,atlantic in good cond,over $75,..,golden fleece $50,[ram on the dogbone] or [squashed rhombus], and just work backwards as the condition gets worse,..,a good front,but faded or dented back can be picked up cheaply,..,neptune is very desirable too,.,.Energol,..,even old ampol with the 3 sargeant stripes is worth a bob!! even named kero tins,.., ive been potting all day and selecting seeds to send to the friends in usa and norway,..,Sooty assisted me in the garden again,he likes to sit in my 'sifted soil' box and watch the world go bye,..,he wandered about and finally found the cat that had been spraying on everything for the last 6 months,[ hiding in bushes across the cul de sac] ,.,.sooty is a big cat!!!and he gave this cat an absolute hiding,until it fled,.,.i think he pulled a few muscles as well,because he hasnt over exerted himself for a couple of years,.,.now hes a bit of a ''slow walkin sam''-went inside,had a feed of silverside and went to bed,.,.- like im about to-anthony
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 1, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8532702

Glad to hear you are OK, Charlene. Yes, this has been a most eventful year, with so much damage and sorrow across the world. I notice that back in 1974, when the USA had the last big killer tornados, we also had the big 74 floods here. I wonder if Japan had a bad earthquake back then too?

I am kind of sulking in a corner at the moment, nursing my shoulder. I don't know when I'll get to see the orthopedic doctor. They said I would be told a month in advance when my name comes up. It could be up to 2 years. I think the cooler weather is causing it to play up more.

Going to do some more gardening today. Holes are appearing in the overgrowth and its good to finally see we are making some headway.

Karen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 1, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8532706

Morning all. Lots of fun happening here with two mums and their babies in a house that struggles normally to be big enough for two people - pokey hallway that is single file only. I'd dearly love to demolish the whole inside and build some sensibly sized rooms, but ... Wouldn't swap the location for quids though. The sound of birds rather than traffic is heavenly.

11 month old and Mum are supposed to be catching a plane home on Thursday and Mum has come down with a cold. By Thursday the chances of bubby coming down with it are looking good, so I'd say that would be a good plane not to be travelling on. lol Poor little thing.

I've spent 4 days of the last week driving, first to Brisbane and back, then to Toowoomba on Friday and back on Saturday, to collect said Mum and baby from a visit to other family who live there. I got home at lunch time on Saturday and the exhaustion set in.

My understanding is, though I could be wrong, that all of the datura and brugmansia family contain the offending drug, but really, who in their right mind would do it? The world is full of idiots who, if we were prevented from growing a particular plant would simply go and find something else to kill their brain cells - pretty pointless exercise really.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 1, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8532753

Good morning everyone. foggy morning here and very nippy. Not far off a frost I would say. We are off again today. Hubby needs some bits from Hamilton. Another lunch I dont have to cook. We usually dont get out this much so its great the weather is behaving.
Karen, I hope you can get some help for your shoulder soon. It is very energy sapping , having a constant ache.
Pam, you sound very busy there. Take care you dont catch that cold. I hope the bub doesnt get it either.
Anthony, give old Sooty a good pat for his excellent watch cat work. I will keep an eye out for those tins you are after, but have never seen any at the market here. Used to see lots of that type of thing when I was living in Bright. So many little towns and places to see those old things up there.
Good luck with the cacti Colleen. A good way to make pocket money. Most people are happy to pay reasonable prices for nice plants. Mine are growing well but now the cold weather is coming, they will most likely go to sleep for awhile.
Better move as I want to take a few photos . Alphonse Mucha and Butterbomb are out again and I have another iris out.
Have a happy day and keep warm and dry.
Hello Teresa, Chrissy, Elaine, Dianne and evreyone else.
Charleen, I hope all is quiet around your way now.
Louise, pats for the girls.
Heres an indulgence for you all.
Black Forest Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8532797

The Frost isn't far away here either ...it's cold!

Planes and colds do not mix Pam ...something to do with air pressure and inner ears, so I hope they are ok in time, sounds like you are having fun. Take care you don't become ill yourself.

Oh Karen sore everythings in the cold are always extra painful, take care of that shoulder, it's are very bad place for pain, hope you get some medical action soon.

Looks like everyone is very busy ...I have the nurse in this morning so me too, I will be back afterwards though it's so brisk outside we will see what the weather is like, no rain but I think there is Mr Frosty waiting in the wings ...look at the calling card on the Brug leaves in the picture ...enjoy your morning! stay warm everyone.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 1, 2011

Post #8532859

Hello everyone!

Public holiday here in Queensland today.
Beautiful autumn day...best we have had in a long time. It just makes one feel like gardening. I will certainly be out there doing some fertilizing and odd jobs.

Can anyone advise me on moving some Hippy's at this time of the year. They need more sun. Can I do that today without killing them?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8533116

They are pretty tough Marlene ...my mum gave me a plant about decades ago when I didn't know what a hippy was ...she told me about a bloom that would bloom inside.

It did and it was my first one.
In the early 70's people would dig them up in Autumn and Winter and bring them inside.Way back then our homes were full of indoor greenery, I think the fashion may be coming back. I remember having rubber trees,palms, ferns,vines trained over the beams,ficus,chain of hearts etc, also vases filled with greenery ...loved it!
The hippies would bloom in the warmer months inside ...then you would put them outside until the following Autumn/Winter, but of course this was Sydney so I can't speak for your area but I am fairly confident you can move them quite safely, better check with the other Northern gardeners, so what is your holiday?
Whatever it is enjoy!

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 1, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8533140

Thanks Chrissy

Labour Day Holiday

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8533221

Well I hope you enjoy it ...we have our Labour day in October, you would think it would all be the same time wouldn't you.
I usually have my birthday on that long weekend and mum says they named it Labour Day for her because I was born butt first and almost killed both of us ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 1, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8533348

Good morning everyone, lovely overcast morning with a sprinkle of rain but not
real cold. Marlene I would think that you can transplant your hippies. I would dig the hole where you want to put them the take a good shovel of earth with them when you dig them up just so you don't disturb the roots too much. I have most of mine growing in pots at the moment but will have to think about putting them in the garden soon. Gosh Chrissy your poor Mum deserves to have a day named after her. Have done the shopping and now must get to doing some work. be back later. Colleen
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 1, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8533631

Good Afternoon to every one I have not been in was very busy tiding gardens and fixing a couple of properitys Iam going to sell now things are held up because of the weather have new fences to go up .

Chrissy was pleased to see your brother is doing so well now. We sure have had our share of rain this last month

Charleen great news the storm did not do damage in your area you and the long ears were safe.
better move evert one enjoy the rest of the day .-----elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
2:22 AM

Post #8533736

Hi Elaine ...hope you aren't overdoing it there ...the cold weather plays havoc with my brother's joints, it is difficult to move him until the day warms up, even with the oil heater going twenty four seven, but apart from that he is in good spirits most of the time, on the mornings the nurse comes it's a bit hard on him because I have to shower and dress him, attending to his leg etc for the nurse to look at, she told me today that the visits can be once a week for the next few weeks instead of every second day, whew great relief all around.:) ...are you moving?

We miss you when you are busy.

Yes Colleen mum has always said I do things back to front ...and has never forgiven me for the 50+ stitches , still she did go on to have 6 more babies after me!

How is your back Anthony?

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 2, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8535025

Morning all. Marleneann, your hippies are fine to move at pretty much any time, If they are the papillio species though, or any other than can be shy to flower, you may set back their flowering for a bit. Any others, go for it.

Well with the big announcement from the US yesterday (about Bin Laden) I guess the coming days will be a bit tense for many. I'm hoping it will bring about an end to the now decade-long war in Afganistan, but I fear it may simply be wishful thinking.

Lots of running around to do today so I don't suppose I'll achieve much here. Izzy (11 month-old) is probably coming down with Mum's cold, and I've woken up with it this morning. If the poor little thing has half the headache I have (and her mother has been complaining about for the past few days) it's little wonder the poor thing was grizzly for most of the day yesterday.

Have a great day all.

Pam
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 2, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8535104

Good morning Chrissy saying good its still dark so not sure whate the weather will be the path down to the yard is dry so its not raining so far.
No I'm not moving just making life more simple a little less worry Greystanes properitys are now over 20 years old could do with a upgrade so I felt it was time to let them go also I find its easyer to have things close we manage the ones up here ourselves so can cut out fees and charges in the long run makes the rents cheaper .

Better move daylight is starting have to rake up the palm seeds I think I had visits from every bat in Sydney last night when I checked with the torch under the trees was covered more than most mornings have a great day -------elaine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 2, 2011

Post #8535169

Good morning everyone. A very nippy morning here but sunny and fine. yesterday was the same. I love this Autumn weather. Lots of mushrooms and pretty toadstools popping up everywhere.
Hello Elaine, lovely to see you back again. I'm sure you will relax a bit more with less property to worry about.
Pam, rest and let the darn thing run its course. Not much any medication can do with colds etc. Poor little baby must be very grizzly. At that age , its hard to for them.
Chrissy, I'm glad your brother is improving . The changes with the nurse may allow you both to relax a bit more.
Hello Colleen. I am watching the pot with the winter hippie in as it grows bigger. All my usual ones are dying off now and I have put all the pots on their side for the winter. I did buy a small papilio bulb but it shriveled . Luckily I didnt pay too much for it. I still have a seedling one here which is looking good.
Hello Anthony, Marlene, Teresa, Karen and Dianne.
Charleen what is out in your pretty garden now ? Give Charley a cookie from the kitchen.
Louise, are you all settled back in NH ? How was your garden when you arrived ?
Today is ' putting up the new greenhouse ' day.
It arrived yesterday and I am impatient to get it erected so I can start getting my cuttings etc in there.
I have my smaller mini greenhouse ( about 4'x 2'x 2') which will sit inside the larger one for the more tender seeds.
Washing day also, so I had better get moving.
Have a lovely day and enjoy your gardens.
here are some yummy Cream Cakes to have with your cuppa.
Colleen, I always think of Brian when I put out anything with cream. He did love it so much.
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 2, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8535225

Good morning everyone. Yes Jean the cream does it for me too. I always wait to see what you're putting up for us to eat and yes Brian would love that or no he'll give that a miss. It's his wife's 9th anniversary today. Elaine it great to see you pop in. Wish I had property. I need about 10 acres, lots of trees and a creek or pond and let me get to it. Oh to dream. My neighbour had his palms cut down now another neighbour 2 doors away is getting her's cut down too. I've asked her to save the trunks for me for the SH. They make too much mess and are getting in her gutters she said. I don't like them myself, I don't think that they belong down here in our climate and most of the time look pretty average. Not enough rain for them. Have a day at home today. Washing and potting up brugs. also have some sword ferns, aspadistras; justicias clivias to break up into smaller pots. Always plenty to do. Hope my camera arrives soon. R. Frosty Pink is absolutely beautiful at the moment. The flowers are huge. Avalanche has 3 flowers, suavelons has a good show, Elfin Pink, Sugar Pink. Mango Kornet, Butter Bomb. and Aztec Gold X with 6 points. As I put the boys to bed at night the perfume is breathe-taking. I love them. Must go and get the boys ready. Be back later. Everyone have a great day. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8535267

Have I shown you this one??? i think this is Gorgeous. Charley says :Thanks for the cookies"
Are your days getting colder???? I do not like winter...Bless you all, take care..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8535290

Oh no bats ...there goes the bananas again sheesh!

Palms do make a mess but I love them, don't over do it Elaine I hope you sell youe property soon so you can relax a bit.

My persimmons are turning beautiful colours out there, I would grow them just for the glorious Autumn leaves, they are not so pretty this year due to the big chunks chewed out of them by that hail, such a pity because they are usually so beautiful in the various shades of yellow, orange and scarlet.

Babies can't complain when they are in pain poor little things :(
Hope you all recover quickly Pam.

Your garden sounds delicious Colleen ...savor the scents because it's likely to be the last flushes for a while ...sigh.
Best go do some housework.

Have fun with your new green house Jeane

waving to our American mates ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8535294

Snap Charleen hugs and pats for you know who.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8535533

Went to a mule plow farm days in a small town. Want to show you a mule plowing. You know who didn't go. wish I could get him to just pull a wagon but just haven't done it yet.
This is way they do it now. Get your mule, get a girl to learn and talk on your Telephone to your broker.☺☺☺ Gee and Haw there, mule...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8535979

A Tornado in Auckland?????? What Thaaaaa!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 2, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8536035

Charleen, I would love to see Charley lowering himself to actually pull a wagon. I think he'd rather watch you do it. LOL.
Chrissy, did you say a tornado in NZ ??
I must get out and watch the news.
I have been putting up my greenhouse. I get a pic tomorrow. had enough work today. time for feet up and a cuppa.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8536053

Oh it's just truly too too much ..poor bug**rs
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 2, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8536073

When will these disasters every stop seems just as people in N Z start to feel safe a Tornado hits part of Auckland thank god only one death but its one to many sending love and prays to the family and every one in N Z .-----elaine

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 2, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8536098

Colleen you will be busy today.

Jean I have been gardening all day too and went to the tea house to have a "cuppa"...NO tea bags...so I went out and purchased 500 tea bags. We will have stock for some time now.

Those cream cakes were delicious...sorry I ate so many.
Big wave to Chrissy and rides.

Guess what I just came inside and it is raining. A storm was brewing a short while ago and here it is. Getting late in the season for storms here on the Sunshine Coast.

Cattleya in flower.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 2, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8536136

Marlene I have been busy, but not finished. That is a beautiful colour for an Orchid. Have you got many? My brother in Mackay has about 100 but he said that now they have a child around he doesn't like to spray like he should and they don't look as good. Is there a natural spray that he could use instead? Colleen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 3, 2011
12:33 AM

Post #8536153

Colleen are you talking about a fungerside or insecticide?

You can use Cinnamon as a fungerside (what you use in cooking) to control rot in orchids.
I use ordinary household insect spray in the pressure can as an insecticide.
Yes...be careful when spraying with the usual orchid sprays.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 3, 2011
12:49 AM

Post #8536155

Thanks for that Marlene. I will tell him to go and buy lots of flyspray and half a ton of cinnamon. lol. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 3, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8537310

incredible footage on the news last night - NZ gets tornadoes sometimes, very rare to be deadly.
This morning, two confirmed dead. Sad.
Must have been terrifying for everyone.
My stepson was in Greymouth when they were hit with a tornado - a few years ago, his Stepdad was at work in an engineering factory & took shelter in one of the machines.
Good thing too as tools & metal were flung about like missiles.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 3, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8537463

Poor N.Z. has had more then it's share of bad luck.
Thinking of you all and hope from now on only good things happen.

Nice morning but rain predicted for this afternoon...better get into the garden as soon as possible.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8537474

Teresa I feel very guilty because I asked someone on FB if this was unusual and they were offended that I didn't know already, so I feel ignorant in that I had no idea that NZ was subjected to Tornadoes as well as Earthquakes. I promise to learn a bit more, I have always said if I had to flee Australia I would go to NZ so I should know more about it.

I hope you all have had your lot of troubles over with now and all of you will be able to feel more secure very soon, it's been truly tragic and unbelievable, not just in NZ but almost everywhere.

I have to go look after George (brother) and will be back later, you take care now.

Edited for typo due to cold fingers and frozen brain lol :)

This message was edited May 4, 2011 8:47 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 3, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8537506

Good morning everyone. Another foggy /misty morning. Yesterday was the same and turned into a beautiful sunny day.
Mt new plastic greenhouse is up and ready to be used. I put it up on my own . It was very easy. One puts together the roof part , lays the plastic over so the roof part is set , then add the side poles . Once up the plastic pulls down the sides easily. . It fits very well into the space of the old shadehouse. I have a wire fence on the weather side with my mandevillea on it . The closed end is behind the 4' tin fence and the far side is next to the house. It gets sun all day . I will tie a piece of shadecloth over it for summer.
I am finding it so much easier to do things in the shadehouses and greenhouses these days , instead of worrying about keeping the garden perfect. Now the main garden just does its own thing , with a quick tidy up in spring and autumn.
I can wander up and down in the greenhouses and shadehouse, assessing things, feeding, watering etc with ease. I even have a seat in them.
As the main garden has grown so big, it looks a lot better just left.
I have lots of corners where things I really love are growing out there and it is very pleasant to come around a path and see how things are in their little nooks.
I am getting hubby to help today as I get the benches into the greenhouse. .
Hubby said it looks bigger than the others but its exactly the same size , just empty for the moment. Soon it will be full of lots of little green babies.
Hello Teresa, I do feel for those in that tornado. I have been in one in WA and it can be frightening.
Glad you are okay.
It seems that everything that Mother nature has in her cupboard is being thrown at the world lately. This year will go down as one of the worst fro so many large tragic events.
Hello Anthony, hope you are having fun with all your bulbs. I now have my lilium pots in the open along the edge of the new greenhouse. I hope they like it there and do well.
Hello Pam, Marlene, Dianne, Colleen Chrissy, Elaine and Karen. Time I went out and had a whiff of the brugs. the perfume seems to be quite strong on these cold mornings. I dont go down there at night because too many other things are out crawling around.
Hello Charleen and Louise. Hope all is well in your part of the world.
Have a happy day and enjoy your gardens if its dry.
I will leave you all something yummy for your nibbles. Chocolate MInt Shortbread.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 4, 2011
12:46 AM

Post #8538629

Your garden sounds even better than last year,Jean...it must be lovely with all those Salvias with their dainty flowers, each one so different.
I was given a cutting today of a Salvia named S.wageriana x karwinskii...I hope that is right.
I checked this site out http://www.californiagardens.com/Lists/salvia_list.htm...seems quite a good one...

My new Salvia if it grows, is a cross between 2 pinks and the flower is very long...
I was in a tiny local nursery and I found a Iochroma grandiflora purple in an overgrown pot for $7.50 and some very pretty Salvias, that I didn't have...The nursery owner offered me the cutting as he didn't have any in pots...so I have 2 very long bits...
Jean, this passion that I have for Salvias now...is partly your fault...lol

This is my favourite rose, I have had it in all my gardens, generations grown from the original...
Cornelia...a wonderful, small, rambling Tea rose.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 4, 2011
1:30 AM

Post #8538642

Dianne, that is my kind of nurseryman. He would go a long way here. Beautiful rose. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 4, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8539729

Chrissy - I can't believe anyone could be offended by a question like that...
oh well takes all kinds :)
I thought tornadoes were unusual for NZ but apparently not.
However big ones are not common & to cause that much destruction & deaths is rare.
According to the news most of ours happen over water as water spouts & aren't seen so people don't know about them.
I knew we were earthquake prone & have the potential for volcanic activity but tornadoes too!
If it weren't for all your venomous snakes & spiders I would be thinking Aussie has to be safer.
Although, bushfires, floods & cyclones are pretty nasty too.
Oh we get those as well. But being a smaller country they are on a smaller scale.
Just as I was reading your post we had a wee aftershock, enough to rattle picture frames & have the dog freeze in his tracks & look around at me for reassurance.
He is on the other couch now ready for a snooze so they don't stress him as much as they used to.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8539856

Hi Everyone! Only time to do a quick skim and to admire Teresa's lovely photo. I'm racing against an internet outage from the rain here (rain yes, internet no!) Thanks for checking on me, Jean!! I'll write much more soon. We have arrived and I just wanted to say hi for now!! I will come back when the sun comes out and catch up reading all of your posts!!

Hugs! Louise
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 4, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8539873

Good morning everyone. i have the small heater on at my feet. We are getting very chilly mornings now. The days are not too bad though. Yesterday was very odd. We had fog/mist then a shower. The sun came out so I hung the washing. Large clouds appeared from nowhere and rained on it. I took it all inside to the dryer so the sun came out and stayed around.
Chrissy, I would not take any notice of people who get offended at a simple query. I bet those people dont know half of what goes on in their own areas.
I never knew NZ had tornados either. Teresa, I hope thats all you have there.
I said to hubby that with all the weird weather phenomena around we had better watch out. This area is one big volcano area.
I often joke about it when we are over in Mt Gambier as the beautful lakes are in craters. I said to hubby, if I ever see bubbles rising in the water I am gone.
Thing is where would one go to escape ?. The whole world is a restless place and its not so far back in Earth history that it was really wild.
We just have to learn to live with it , tragedies or not. We cant go anywhere else.
Hello Dianne. I am growing to love the salvias more as each one flowers. They are so hardy here. I bought two more the other day. A very pretty pink and another blue/purple.
I had better get a move on and make a start on my benches in the new greenhouse. I want to make a start on getting the seed trays etc in and need the benches.
Hello Elaine, Pam, Karen, Colleen, Anthony and Marlene.
Hello Louise and Charleen too. Hope all is well with you ther.
Have a happy day and stay warm.
Try this Chocolate Banana Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8540094

We are o.k Blackberry winter going on here. Like I wanted it to be cold. NOT!!!!

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 5, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8541944

Good morning everyone. I thought that I would come in for an early morning cuppa this morning. It's very nippy here this morning. I hope that "Jack" keeps away just yet. Have a Cactus person coming today so hopefully will give some away. I see that Louise is back in NH. Waiting for some more beautiful pics from you Louise. John has my camera and is going to take some pics of the Reynella Orange brug and then send it to me. Whoopeeeee I can't wait to get it. I have been in Pergatory? without it because that's the first thing I would do just about every morning. Go for a walk around the garden and see what was there for a good pic. Jean, I have a bud on the Winter Hippy. I fed and watered the Memory Garden yesterday and threw Shirley Poppy seeds everywhere and Scabiosa seeds. Hopefully there will be lots come Spring. Got some Datura seeds planted and into the new HH, also some Giant Poppy seeds. They should be interesting to see. Hope they grow. Will put the Silver Beet and Globe Artichoke in there from the SH today as well. Some of my Succulents were removed from their bench so that I could put it in the HH. Now I have to find another home for them. I'm always juggling bench space. I wish that I could just pull some down where I needed it. lol That would be too easy wouldn't it? Well first boy is up too now so the day starts. Hope all are well this fine morning and I'll be back later. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 5, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8541976

i have been slack about photos - took some the other day & haven't down loaded yet.
My white camellia is looking the best it has since I moved here 11 years ago.
Perhaps because I was too busy to trim it...
shame the weather is lousy again, windy & wet.
Hubby surprised me last night, he was still awake when I came in from my night shift & got up & joined me for a hot chocolate.
He went to work at 4.30am as usual, Copper started whining so I gave him a loo break & let him come to bed with me...
only to have hubby come home at 7am not feeling very well.
Copper thought it was heaven to have us both in bed with him, his tail was thumping the covers so hard it was hard to get back to sleep.
we are up in the lounge with the pellet fire burning, Copper is sprawled out across the 2 seater couch & hubby is still in bed.
shame I have to go to work later this would be a perfect 'do nothing' day.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 5, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8542033

Good morning everyone. My fingers are numb. Its another one of those nearly frost mornings. I dont want frost. The cold is good for a lot of plants but none of us need frost.
I finished the bench in the new greenhouse, so now I can start moving things in. It was a nice place to work in yesterday as the sun ( when it was out ) made it really toasty.
Teresa, we are looking forward to more of your garden pics. I bet Copper had a lovely time on the bed with two best friends at once.
Colleen, your garden must be looking very full now with all the lovely plants growing well.
Charleen, what a beautiful iris. I just bought 2 dwarf ones as I already have a couple and wanted a contrasting color for them. They do so well along paths. Pats for Charley.
Hello Louise. Lovely to see you back again. How are the darling girls ? Must be photo time for themso we can admire them all over again.
Hello Anthony. How are you going with the lilium planting ? Hope Cocky is well too. Have you got little Molly helping you.
Hello Elaine, Marlene, Chrissy, Dianne, Pam and Karen.
I am going out to brave the chill as I have to get a few things moved around out there. Hubby is expecting a friend over, so I wont have time later.
Have lovely day wherever you are and try to spend time with your plants.
Enjoy this Chocolate Pound Cake with a cuppa
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8542322

Same here ...not quite as cold as you Jean but 8C is cold enough ...we are supposed to go to 20C though, if it does it will be lovely in the sun ...yes sun , a Summerless Summer and of course here comes the Winter sun, so gentle, lovely to work in.
That Green House sounds wonderful!

Teresa that fire sounds cosy ...move over :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of the orange brug colleen ...very curious to see what it may be.

A very pretty Iris Charleen ...I feel sorry for you in the cold brrrr. Where is your Spring? we had a long cold Spring this year, looks like you do too, must be tough after the dreadful winter you have had. Stay warm.

I have 2 tops on, but I know one will go when I start to weed :)

I hope everyone is enjoying their morning. see you all in a bit.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8542377

Hello again! Waving back, Chrissy!

Pam - I hope Grizzly Izzy is feeling better today, along with you and Mom too! Poor baby!

Dianne - that Cornelia rose is gorgeous! Charleen - that iris is also gorgeous! I also like your bracelets.

Jean - the girls are doing just great, especially now that we have their backyard fence back up. They were amazing on the trip up. It just goes to show you what a difference there is between true puppies and year-and-a-half-old pups! They didn't make a peep from the back seat for hours on end in the car, and in the motels at night, they just played with their chewies on the bed quietly. We took them on walks through several National Parks of historic significance, so it was a lovely trip all in all.

I was able to get all my garden beds cleaned out and fertilizers down before the rains came. Things are greening up out there, so I'll share some photos as things start to bloom. Chilly here now, but no frost here...maybe tonight though.

Happy Weekend coming up!
Louise

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8543082

Thanks Louise..Those pups are really grown up now...sounds as though you will have a lovely garden again soon...

Teresa, hope your husband is feeling a bit better now...at least he has Copper to keep him company...
Have your Cyclamen popped thru yet...mine are everywhere...love them.

I bought a SH in one of the cheapie shops yesterday...it was only $25 and I need one for my seeds in Spring..

Did anyone see Madagascar the other night on 9?...I had to smile, here was a spider dragging a shell up into it's web...now I know how mine did it.
She has quite a complicated web now with the snail shell in the middle...I wonder how long this type of spider lives...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
1:27 AM

Post #8543135

just gotta love that clever little spider there ...it's much warmer than a curled leaf or Brug bloom which are a favourite home for mine.

Loise hi!
Hope everything is settling down and Spring will soon warm up for you glad the trip went well , you are going to be very busy soon so get some rest before it all starts to happen.

Where is Anthony? coo-eee Anthony coooo -eee come on in mate!
I hope everyone enjoys their evening ...it's cocoa weather here brrrr.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 6, 2011
1:29 AM

Post #8543137

yes,!i saw it,and thought of the same thing,..,have a look for an inward telephone line,.,.if he can get home delivery,i would imagine he could live there for a long time,,.even longer if you see a sky channel dish!!!!!!
i was typing whilst you were talking chrissy,.,.

This message was edited May 6, 2011 3:32 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 6, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8543357

I have one cyclamen flowering from the ones I put in last year.
I bought myself 3 more orphans to put in, they looked pretty good for $3.00, didn't see any fungus - they were very droopy & yellowish in some of the leaves.
3 days later they are still in the plastic bag on the terrace - but the leaves have perked up & so have the flowers, strange as i haven't given them a drink at all.
It is after midnight, I just got home from a busy night at work - lots of customers & they made quite a mess with umpteen glasses left in the gaming room & all over the tables...
don't know about Aussie but here the proper etiquette for clubs & RSA's is to take your glasses back to the bar.
Mind you even for those that did I was so busy that I couldn't wash any glasses.
We tend to reuse the same glass - I know that is not done is Aussie - when everyone 'plays ladies' & has a fresh glass for each drink we run out of cold ones.
anyway I used almost every single wine glass in the place, and the chiller was bereft of beer handles by 9pm.
People were leaving by then so the next couple of hours were spent washing glasses & wiping tables then restocking the shelves & glass chiller.
I don't get official breaks - didn't get any unofficial ones either! Dinner was an apple & a banana eaten with one hand while rinsing glasses with the other.
So now I am unwinding with a cup of hot chocolate & trying not to disturb hubby, brother-in-law or dog.
The cat is prowling about outside, I hear her bell jingling every so often as she pounces on unsuspecting moths.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8543419

That is one smart spider. i would have like to seen her hoisting that shell up there. Almost needed a hoist.
It is warming back up. Dry cold front moved in, it will probably be getting warmer everyday.
This is a St. John's wort.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8543426

mmm the cocoa sounds good ...that sounds pretty frantic there at your club, I don't know what happens in clubs here these days it must be maybe twenty something years since I have been in one but I have done wedding reception and waitressing work in the 70's so I could work around baby. Tough work but I loved it and the people, my sister has a licence and has run three clubs in her time. Hard work she says but looking out for the drunks is tough going. She now is a social director for an Archbishop, and loves it.
You finish off that cocoa and enjoy the quiet and the little bell tinkling ...then off to bed, sounds like you have earned it.
I am waiting to give my brother his midnight meds then off I go too, can't wait.
Goodnight sweet dreams.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8543427

Hi Charleen lovely yellow bloom ..that one is supposed to be good for you isn't it?

Bedtime here almost :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8543469

I think so, wish I could send you cuttings cause It is going to be pruned after it finishes blooming. I don't know if it would make it.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 6, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8544287

Good morning everyone. Still a bit dark here this morning. Overcast and the sun is slowly getter later rising out of bed. I dont blame him in the cold.
I really have to get moving with the Roundup soon as the weeds are growing faster than I can blink.
Everything is changing color now. Lots of red in the snowball tree and the cotinus is getting its bright orange. Funny that the plum tree is still very green while the peach tree is already bare.
I will be getting all my little mini mini greenhouse boxes into the large greenhouse today. Lots of little peat pots too. I have seeds to plant later and cuttings to take in spring.
My popp y seeds are all going into the ground over the next month.
Hubby is going to help build a long fence for all the berries which are still fruiting.
My red dahlia 'Bishop of Landorf' has a last flower. The salvia leucantha 'Velour pink ' is looking lovely as are the others still in flower.
If you want a plant thats hardy all year , try salvias. There are so many , you will find some to suit your climate.
Hello Louise. Lovely to hear the latest on the darling girls. Properly brought up young ladies now. Looking forward to seeing some of your garden.
Charleen, you should be enjoying sun . We have the cold here.
Hello Chrissy, I bet you went out for a last sniff of angel perfume before bed.
Teresa, my oldest daughter worked in a club for a while then managed a pub, so I know what you mean about the work.
Many years ago, here in OZ, beer glasses were used again by the same person. Someone decided it was better to have a clean glass each time so it all changed.
Imagine if you were at a party or dinner and everyone wanted a clean glass with each drink ? The host/hostess would go mad washing glasses. Never happen.
Hello Anthony. How is Cocky and little Molly ? I bet you have afire going down there. Hubby is talking about looking for firewood for the small fireplace in this room . The heat from the heater doesnt quite make it warm enough so he used to have a log burning slowly . It has been a while since wood was easy to get. When you do find someone to sell any , it is very dear.
The people police have made it illegal to even pick up wood along the road here now. You should see the piles of logs that the greenies want left along roads as "habitat" Ask any fireman and they will say its a big fire hazard. An eyesore on some roads.
Hello Dianne, that green chrysanthemum of mine was a gift and when I moved it , I thought I had lost it but it is still there, just a bit smaller. I will have to take a few bits and move them around when it shoots again.
Hello Elaine, Pam, Karen and Colleen. I hope you are all keeping warm.
I'm off to get my fingers cold outside . I need to hang a bit of washing.
Try these lovely mixed cakes with your cuppa.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011

Post #8544323

Coffee then a look outside ...Mr Frost isn't far away here ...:(
Back after that, you sound like you have a lovely day planned Jean.
Hey Anthony :) you made it yay!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8544430

Hello Jean, and everyone. Brrrrr...a bit cool this morning. I like it though.

Just did another stint in hospital, but back home again now, all brand new. Watch out world. I'm b.a.c.k... :)

Karen

My first zygo is flowering. The others are a fair bit behind this one yet.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8544441

Jean - that's pretty impressive that you could put up your greenhouse by yourself! It must be so nice not to have to worry about freezing temps or scorching sun as much when your babies are in the GH. I, too, love the salvias!

Charleen - I think my sister may have gone to the same plow day that you went to. She lives in Sylva, NC, but she was taking her son and grandson down to the plow day in a small town, as my her grandson is interested in doing some plowing. She and her husband have a big draft horse and they just got a new cart for him. Small world, huh?

Not much to show you in the gardens just yet. I have my first bloom though, on Jack Frost Brunnera. I didn't even know it had such pretty little blue flowers, as I got it last summer after it must have bloomed. We worked hard all day and things are really greening up and looking pretty with the trees getting their new leaves. Sometimes we think this place is too expensive to keep as the old 1763 house keeps needing more and more things fixed (chimneys need repointing and a new roof would be good), but all we have to do is look out over the gardens to the meadow with its frolicking deer and big turkeys hiding from the hunters and neither of us could bear to give up the place.
A new tile base for our shower is next and then we really have to do the chimneys. Oh my!

Glad to hear so many of you are enjoying your hot chocolate...sounds so good!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8544445

Glad you are home, Karen, and I hope you are better than ever! Take it easy a bit!
Louise
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 6, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8544561

Louise, thats such a pretty blue flower. Isnt it nice to find surprises in the garden ?
I dont think I could bear to give up a lovely old house like yours either, especially as you say, with the fantastic outlook to the woods .
Still very cold here and quite dull outside with all the low cloud. If this keeps up, I am dreading the frosts that are likely.
I cant be out covering and uncovering plants so they have to survive or die. Luckily most seem to be able to cope.
If something is very good at surviving, I get more of that sort. Not much dies here now.
In spite of the greenies and Plant Police, the ones that do best in my little area are the European type plants which can stand the cold and even the heat when we get any.
European plants are something we should have a lot more of in our gardens. If you pick the right plants they survive well and do blend beautifully with the smaller natives.
Better go and decide what to feed hubby. I may put the rice cooker on and do something nice and warm like sweet & sour pork to have with the rice.
Mmmmmm makes me feel hungry already.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8544675

Lovely out in the sun but sooo cold inside, can't stay out there long though in case I am needed by my brother.
Must go see to him ...anyone else have their hippies blooming like mad ?

Thumbnail by chrissy100

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8544843

Thank you Louise. Much appreciated.

Does anyone have knowledge of orchids? My neighbour has this one which has nice looking roots in the pot but the plant is dying, or at least losing its leaves. It has flowered, and I feel the pot is wrong, and the soil too wet. But I know very little about growing orchids, so if anyone can advise, would be much appreciated.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8544890

Karen what do you have in growing in ...bark?, it may need an airier mix ...I am no expert but it looks like too much wetness.Ask your friend what hers are growing in.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 6, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8544955

Karen...that orchid is a Phalaenopsis. Beautiful orchid but one of the most difficult to grow here in our siubtropical conditions. North Queensland has a good climate for them. I even had a heat tray and that still wasn't successful.
I had about thirty Phalaenopsis and now I only have two left. Rot was my main problem and I think that is what that orchid has.

They have developed some crosses to take the cooler weather but just by looking at a leaf one cannot tell.
Just "Google" Plalaenopsis and there is lots of information on the orchid.

Take plant out of pot. Wash of plant and cut off any decaying roots and leaves. Give it a bath in a fungerside and then repot into a new mix...looks like it is sphagnum moss...but you could put it into a cattleya orchid mix if you want to. Sphagnum moss is OK just don't over water. DO NOT STAND IN A SAUCER as this collects water and will cause the rot. In winter just one good water a week shoud do. (Damp not wet)

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 6, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8544966

What plant did I buy at the fete today?

Don't know where to plant it as I don't know what growing conditions it likes.

Can you help please?

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 6, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8545007

Ditto to what Marlene said, Karen...too wet, that's the problem...the flower stem is not supposed to die off, because that will flower again next season...
Even though our climates are different, watering is the key...for me it's once a week in summer and about every 3 weeks in winter.
As you can see mine live in the bathroom with the African Violets...they also share the African Violet fertilizer every time that I water.
The pot isn't the problem because they like their roots to hang over the edge...having the Spaghnum moss keeps it moist but if there is a lot of it in the potting mix, that also makes it hard to judge how damp it is.
Water it thoroughly then tip it up and drain it so it isn't sitting in water.
Good luck with it, they are worth the effort...

Anthony, my spider has such a great web, her meals are always waiting and I am sure that I saw a tiny silver dish on the top of the shell..that must be who the extra TV guide is for...lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 6, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8545064

Dianne you do well with the Phallies.

I never tried inside only in the orchid house. Had a heating board and when the first electricity bill came Hubby needed resuscitating*G*

Anyone want to buy a heating board??????

This message was edited May 7, 2011 1:58 AM

This message was edited May 7, 2011 2:01 AM
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8545070

Thank you both re the Phalaenopsis orchid. Marlene, I may just pass on the heating board, thank you :). I thought the mix might be too wet, but really am not an orchid grower (yet) so couldn't be sure. I'm used to just seeing the ones that grow on trees.

Chrissy, I don't know what it is growing in. Its a real soggy mess.

Karen

This message was edited May 7, 2011 3:36 AM
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 6, 2011
11:59 PM

Post #8545077

Karen so sorry to hear you had a hospital stay good to hear your home and and feeling well.

Lady luck has smiled on me I have a private buyer paid me the dep. just waiting to signe contract on monday so lucky I have not signed with a agent yet .

Wishing all a Happy Mothers& Nana's day to- morrow .
Hugs elaine.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 7, 2011
12:24 AM

Post #8545084

Marleneann, I'd say your mystery plant is probably a juvenile Jotropha podagrica, aka Buddha Belly. Just put it in the ground and neglect it, it will do fine lol. I'd say its preference would be for a well drained site, with a fair bit of sun. The leaves will split as it gets older.

Mine is flowering now but is planted way too close to a walkway, so will have to be moved.

Pam
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 7, 2011
2:21 AM

Post #8545097

i `divided 'regale' liliums today and potted them up,..,good sized[tennis and baseball] bulbs-,.,.sad in a way,because i love them so much and never want to part with them,.,.but now its a case of''some have to go!'',..,i checked some of my 'died off' pot seedlings,and 'yes' theres baby bulbs under there,..now i will sleep better,knowing!!i found a pot of 'very rare'aurelian cross seedlings that had shot today and was very happy,.,.another lovely''la bella'' pizza for tea tonight,and i dont think i'll be too far away from the sack-anthony
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 7, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8545142

The pot the orchid is in looks like it contains spag.moss, I think. Can you tell from the pic? Another question is, what type of pot would it be best in? Would terracotta be more suitable for it? That plastic thing is what it was purchased in.

Elaine, hope it all goes smoothly and swiftly for you.

Anthony, sounds like you've been busy.

Karen

This message was edited May 7, 2011 3:41 AM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8545252

I have one of those I got at a small Greenhouse down here and the named had it tagged as "Gout Plant" Gardengal is right , that's it's real name. Don't you love the way plants get different plantnames????

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8545330

Karen, those plastic pots are used so the retailers don't have to worry about watering overmuch

. I use pretty much the same mix for all of my orchids, an equal part mix of bark, perlite, charcoal and sphagnum moss. i also use plastic pots with holes for drainage. To "fancy" them up, I slip the plastic pot into a pretty container...just tell your neighbor to be sure everything drains well. When she re-pots, she can allow the orchid to sit out exposed for an hour or so to let the crown dry out some.

Humidity is the key to keeping them happy. Oftentimes orchids grown inside don't get enough moisture in the air around them. Dianne has her's in a perfect place...great bright light and moisture from the bath. None of my Phaels are blooming right now, but the Cattleyas and Cat crosses are starting to take off

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 7, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8546173

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩HAPPY MOTHERS DAY ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♫ ♬ ♪ ♩
I hope everyone has a lovely day. Lots of pretty presents...
I have my first plants in the new greenhouse. A tray of canna seeds and my trays of epiphyllum seedlings.
It turned out to be a cold but reasonably sunny day yesterday so I did a bit outside. I really must get at the weeds soon or they will overrun me.
Hello Anthony. What a lovely surprise , finding those rare bulbs shooting. I can imagine whats going on in my pots too. Lots of little shoots getting ready for later. Hope you enjoyed that pizza.
Hello Elaine. Great to see your house in the process of being sold. A lot less to worry about now.
Hello Dianne, your bathroom looks lovely. No room in mine for plants. No shelves or windowsill. Just about room for me in there, its small.
Hello Karen and Pam. Hope all is well with you up there.
Hello also to Chrissy and Colleen.
Charleen. you have such pretty flowers, your garden must please you a lot.
Hello Jeanmoon, nice to see you popping back in. How are things in your garden ?
Louise, your pretty garden must also give you much pleasure. What are you planting now ?
I may get out with the Roundup today and hubby wants to spray around his radio antennas. I always keep a close eye on him when he sprays . He has a tendency to wave the darn thing around and I definitely dont let him anywhere near the garden fences.
Heres a lovely cake for you all to celebrate Mothers Day .
Have a happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 7, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8546179

❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ Happy Mothers Day to All of our lovely Mums and Mother Figures❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤I hope your day is beautiful ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤and you are spoiled ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤and to everyone have really beaut day.❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 7, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8546383

Jean, what a beautiful cake for today. Happy Mother's Day to all you lovely mums. Hope you have some quality time with those you love.

Hugs to all
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 7, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8546413

Happy Mother's Day everyone. A mild morning here. Hope the sun comes out later. The boys gave me all the things that they made at school this morning. John couldn't come up this time but hope to see Micheal and kids later. Have already made some double chocolate muffins and the boys have already sampled them. They passed their test. Only Betty Crocker packet ones but they do the trick. Louise glad that you've got back to Paradise safely. Looking forward to all the lovely pics. Have made myself a Hot House from the boy's swing frame. Already have 3 lots of Datura seeds, globe artichoke silverbeet seedlings and giant poppy seeds in there. My baby hippies have found a cosy corner too. Have some Shasta Daisy seeds to plant as well from my sister. The Shirley Poppies and Scabiosus seeds have been dispersed with the breeze to do their thing. Hopefully I will see some results from them. I can't believe the growth on the Brugs that I planted out. Avalanche has powered away and is flowering as well. Must get some more out there to see if they will flower before Winter. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and I'll be back later. Colleen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 7, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8546419

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!

Karen ...that plastic pot is OK to use again if you sterilize it by soaking the pot in a amount of water with added household bleach.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8546555

Hello Jean.. The garden is keeping us quite busy...the weeds are voracious and prolific. Harvested the first round of tomatoes this weekend. Hard to beat homegrown vine ripened tomatoes. GRIN School will be out for summer in just a couple weeks and I have plans for the grandson to help replace the greenhouse covers and get them refurbished...my list of things to do and projects to finish is growing daily much to my husband's chagrin.

I hope all of you ladies have had a lovely Mother's Day. This lovely swallowtail was enjoying the asters this morning.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8546581

Happy Mother's day, Ladies.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 7, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8546987

Happy mother's day to all...I am very pleased with my gifts...Vouchers for my favourite nursery...that's all I ever want.
It's taken ages for me to convince my son and daughter that I don't need anything else...
Now they give me my vouchers...I can decide on potting mix, gardening tools, garden ornaments, plants, lovely little knick knacks
from the gift shop or buy something from the cafè...
My idea of heaven.

Everybody is so busy this time of the year in both hemispheres...it's lovely to read about anticipating Spring in the north and things to do here in Autumn...
There has been a new rose release called Mothers and Daughters...it's a yellow hybrid tea standard, lovely perfume too. I saw it yesterday in Bunnings...$34.95 which I thought was a bit expensive, so I will wait until Winter.

Anthony, hope you had a good day too...sounds as though you have earned an easy day today...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 7, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8546993

my poor orphan cyclamen will have to wait a little longer for planting, I worked till after midnight last night (this morning)...
fewer customers than the previous shift but they stayed longer.
They were having a sing along so it was kind of fun even though I was working.
Anyway home at around 1.20am, had dinner & to bed only to get up at 7.30am to get away to dog training.
Gorgeous day for it, sun singing, birds shining, dog happy. All good :)
and Hubby made lunch when I got home & I fell asleep afterwards.
So no gardening now & tomorrow am planning a visit to my Mum's for a belated Mother's Day & will take her to lunch.
I have a pretty card that she can cannibalise for making her home made cards...
I always choose ones she can reuse in that way.
Mind you if I get an early start I might be able to plant the cyclamen before I go, I have to wait for the insurance assessor to come out & inspect our earthquake damage.
Hoping they are co-operative & we have a new back fence soon.
The block wall is dangerous & more could come down if we have another strong shake.
Not to mention the risk of the dog getting out.
If he is quiet for a while I start to worry.
Had a horrible moment when I called him & had no response - thought for sure he was off down the road but he was busy eating windfall apples.
This is the same dog that climbed into the plum tree to get the best fruit.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 8, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8547093

a reasonally quiet day,i made the front yard look 1/2 respectable,.although a bit of potting gear still up the top,in readiness for the orienpets i ordered,.molly my granddaughter visited[with her parents] for mothers day and gave me a full rundown of all the fridgemagnet animals and shapes on our fridge!!.She wasnt keen on the roasted chilli chicken i cooked for work lunches,but the tomato relish i fed her was 'yum',.,.growing up very quickly!!!!!,..,very cold here now,with scattery rain,'not nice',.hopefully the next 3 months flies by and we get back to warmer weather,.,..,early night tonight,[at least its warm in bed]-anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 8, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8547433

Hope everyone had a wonderful day ...☆.¸¸ ☆.¸¸☆ ♥ `•.¸.•´ ♥ ☆.¸¸.•´¯` ☆.¸¸.•´¯`♥ as specially the mums, grans, great grans and all who are mother figures ☆.¸¸ ☆.¸¸☆ ♥ `•.¸.•´ ♥ ☆.¸¸.•´¯` ☆.¸¸.•´¯`♥what would the World do without you all.☆.¸¸ ☆.¸¸☆ ♥ `•.¸.•´ ♥ ☆.¸¸.•´¯` ☆.¸¸.•´¯`♥ Good night !
Anthony too right at least the bed is warm :)
sweet dreams.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 8, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8547962

Hi everyone. Monday, a new week has dawned, very wet and dark here. Teresa, had to laugh at your tree climbing dog.

Have cleared out some more of the rubbish under the front trees. This is a before shot of a part of it. Much to do, and can only go very slow, but with Barry's help, am making some headway. I haven't taken the next pics yet as I'm hoping to get a bit more cleared out first.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 8, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8547964

One more of the next section to be cleared.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 8, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8548006

Karen it is funny now but at the time he gave me quite a fright...
I could see his mother in the yard but no sign of Copper, & then I saw him a good 6ft off the ground in the tree.
I was so worried he would fall out & break something - or go over the fence & escape.
So I cut off all the low hanging branches - much to his disgust.
He had gone up them like a ladder on his way to plum heaven.
It still amazes me that his mother wasn't up there too - she was always the bold one.
My biggest regret was not having the camera handy for photos as there are a few people who really don't believe me when I tell them how high in the tree he was.
Other Dalmatian owners never doubt my story... and usually have a reciprocal tale of something bizarre their dog has done to reach food or escape.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 8, 2011

Post #8548044

Good morning everyone.
Time for a move as I cant have you all getting tired legs. We have gone over to here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1179223/
Hello Teresa. I beleive you about Copper climbing trees because I have seen dogs do very odd things at time. I had a dog once who loved tomatoes. He would go along the rows when we were doing tomato picking , and eat the ripe tomatoes . I have seen a blue heeler climb way up in a tree.
Hello Karen, you have lots of work there but it will be nice when you have it all finished. Take it easy though. Dont do too much at once.
Hello Chrissy, hope your brother is coming along well.
I have been out to smell the angels . BB and GHA are so Mmmmmmmmmmm
Anthony. Bed is definitely a good place to be in the cold. Our electric blanket gave up last week and I told hubby we had to have a new one straight away. No way I am living without one . The new one is so warm. I adjusts to you during the night so you dont get over hot and have to turn it off, like the old one.
Hello Dianne, your gorgeous Maurice Utrillo is blooming beautifully still.
Hello Charleen and Jeanmoon.
Louise, I hope you are having some warmer weather .
Hello to Marlene, Elaine, Pam and Colleen.
I am off to the kitchen to see whats left to put out for you all.
Here we are, try this Cheesecake with Caramel .
see you over in the new place.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 8, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8548196

Seeing as you didn't leave a snack in the new thread this morning Jean, I figured I'd just post this here. I figure you deserve a special mention for mothers day because you always look after us so well in here. :)

Pam

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8548305

And all the desserts are so yummy and beautiful too. You a good Momma, you keep us so well fed, we waddle when we run!! So happy to waddle too. ☺☺☺
Don't we look Happy?????
Happy Mother's day!!!!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America