Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Brugmansias April 2011

West of Brisbane, Australia

Golden Butter X#2 seedling will start off this thread. (Too boring to repeat a photo used before.)
Taken this morning before I ripped it apart to get to the pollen.

PS We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1172607/

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's Phanomenal x Superspot#1 this morning, turned pink. The inner skirt hasn't dropped in this batch of flowers on this brug. However, when I split the skirt to get to the stigma, I was hit with the strong smell of lemony sherbet: lovely!

Can't wait for it to begin flowering in other people's gardens to hear how others describe the smell.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

Thanks cestrum awe I liked the db face but this is lovely too !

I think Wayne has some shots from the big place ...
I hope everyone is enjoying their day out there.
I will wander back after for a look ^_^

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

An "orange" for you Cestrum. Congratulations!

Perhaps a little less exotic is our "concrete garden" of Brugs. A couple of years back, the students planted these Brugs along the service roadway to one of our facilities. My advice was to put in 'Old Apricot', 'Domain' and B.knightii. They could not resist also bunging in 'Bucks Fizz' and 'Munchausen Pink'. All are doing very well in appalling soil conditions. BF is not in bloom at present, but is covered in buds.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Another...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Taken from the other end of the driveway...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Clifton Springs, Australia

That P X SS #1 has really darkened up cestrum....great..
My Bruce's Pink has flowered again but not as large as the previous flowers....
Being inexperienced in the Brug pod department....I need some help...how long does it take for a pod to grow from 2ins to 8ins..
The first one that I posted is about 8ins long.
I have discovered 6 more all on the same side, next to Bruce's Pink....but they have just dropped their dried up coverings and are very small.....it has been windy so all of the old corollas are coming off....that's how I found them..now I know what to look for.
I was wondering if that first pod had been pollinated in Spring and the others in Summer.....Would that be about right?

Great Pix Wayne, the perfume on a warm day must be wonderful....they look fantastic.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 1:34 PM

Sydney, Australia

One of our Brug friends passed this on in FB and I pass it on to you ...a perfect Easter Message no matter who you are ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbQhDpdNrEE&feature=share

PEACE & HOPE ...our wish for the World on this day.

Sydney, Australia

Here you go Dianne pictures to help ...the tiny green ovary left after the bloom drops will show lengthening pretty quickly if fertilized.
http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm

It will drop off in a few days if not .
Good luck and it takes around four months to ripen if the weather is friendly.
They slow right down in Winter but may continue growing in warmer times.

Sydney, Australia

Ahhhh Wayne a heavenly driveway ...Love to see the reaction on people's faces as they encounter such beauty ...oh the air in the twilight ...big happy sigh.

Thanks Chrissy, it couldn't be as old as I thought if it only takes 4 months..I will watch the others to check their growth timetable.
They obviously won't be as quick....we are getting down to single figures overnight now.

Sydney, Australia

unless your plant gets frosted a seed pod will survive the Winter.
They grow pretty quickly but the ripening is about 4 months here ...you are in cooler temps where you are ...maybe Jean can help better than I can as to how long in your area.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

These were taken about 7am yesterday morning. The garden is on the western side of the building, so much in shade at the time. That roadway is used by the little laundry train and meal cart, the driver tells me the perfume is lovely.

'Old Apricot' and 'Domain' are "good friends"... Lots of pods where these two intertwine! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

They look like brugs growing in the wild/native habitat. Amazing ...

Meanwhile, my snail hatchery is coming along a treat ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Hand-reared too LOL

PS These snail shots were taken this morning, i.e. they're not repeats of previous snail photos.
These are new snails!

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 1:57 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Mine are just the same, cestrum.....I haven't heard from anyone else...is it just you and I that breed these lovely things?

Merino, Australia

I dont have a single snail here. There are lots down in the town. Maybe they cant get up the hill. The urky slugs make up for them though.
I cant really help about brug pods as I only have this first lot and they have been on the plant since Christmas.
Jean.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Bad luck with those baby snails Cestrum...
Do cane toads eat snails? :)

As I had the camera at work yesterday, I ran off a few shots of this Brug I have been growing for a few years. It is a seedling from the same pod as 'Coral Reef' & 'Love Potion no.9' ('Aztec Gold' x noid). I did not want to chuck it in the bin, so planted it in a not much visited corner of the above facility.

This Brug has a 50/50 coverage of 6 point blooms. At the time the pod parent plant was pollinated, we did not have 'Butter Bomb' or 'Musketeer' growing - two plants that regularly throw 6 points. So noid pollen.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

ii

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

iii

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

iv

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

v

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Sydney, Australia

Very nice Wayne ...I love the 6 pointers and I think BB and M plus that one of yours may do great things ...I found M a good pod parent but difficult as a pollen parent, but that was here (very windy often too hot). At various times they all have them but those two have them very frequently.
That plant must very spectacular in full flight.
Perfume?

Edited to say ...I had so many tiny snails this year all up high in the canopy of the Brugs. They have eaten out the buds which in many instances and are too tall to inspect and destroy.
I hope the Blue Tongues come back soon.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 7:04 PM

Sydney, Australia

So i didn't get out there until tonight so here it is

Just give me the night ...do do ...doo doo ...doo doo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFyq-v-hf1U&feature=player_embedded#at=46
I hope that if it does not just works if it does not just imagine that gorgeous George Benson singing it.
The air is amazing

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Here have a big sniff ...yummy

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

The night garden of Angel's Trumpets is just out of this World

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Gotta love it!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Just delicious!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

The Brugs do take on a different persona when lit at night. I am looking forward to getting a few up-lights installed once we finish off the rock walls - the electrical goes under them. Meanwhile, we make do with a torch! :)

Here is another seedling that I could not toss out. Again bunged in out of the way. This one is also a sibling of CR.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Sydney, Australia

Is that the one called Pinky Yellow ...it's starting up here too, if not it looks very similar.
I will see if I can take a pic but it's drizzling ...

Sydney, Australia

Sorry it was already darkish out there but here is one opened ...your pinky yellow Wayne

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Even though it was dark you could see the colours .
Look what else I found maybe there will be a couple of surprises after all ...just look at this little fellow ...it may explain why I too have pods on PP that I know nothing about!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

He was a pretty little fellow ...hope it didn't leave any caterpillars behind though.
Here is beautiful BB with it's usual 6 points

Thumbnail by chrissy100
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Chrissy I forget! Could be. I think I bundled off a few cuttings from that batch to you. Did it do OK? Jury out here. It has put up with pretty terrible neglect... Just another pretty ordinary pink I think. I am more interested in the other one posted above with all the 6 point blooms.
Meanwhile 'Love Potion no.9' is blooming very well! Today the bees were going crazy over it.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Sydney, Australia

This smells just delicious!!!!!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Quote from chrissy100 :
Even though it was dark you could see the colours .
Look what else I found maybe there will be a couple of surprises after all ...just look at this little fellow ...it may explain why I too have pods on PP that I know nothing about!

What is that one? Very elegant!

Sydney, Australia

It has very pretty colouring but wants to sit with the tendrils drooping in the day time ...I would use it for the colour ...put it to an Aurea.
Here is a pale one of mine calyx burned by the cold wind ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Which one ...you mean the white (Birthday Baby) or no name yet? pink.
TT is opening with some tendrils missing thanks to munchers here

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.