Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Antiques and Collectibles: Old molds made of iron are for... ?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 12, Views: 262
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8512944

We think this thing is iron, anyway. It's heavy and black and kinda looks like a cast iron cookware, but it's meant to mold something into the shape of snowmen.

One of my pottery students is using it as a press mold to make Xmas ornaments out of clay.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Plants4myPots
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8512945

Here's what the back looks like...

Thumbnail by Plants4myPots
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 22, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8513675

Looks like a cookie or cornbread mold
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8515926

Molded cornbread? Well, ain't that fancy! :)
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8515936

My cornbread mold looked like ears of corn☺

I saw the snowman one and was "itching" to paint it thickly with white chocolate to make a shell for candies☺
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8516288

Juneybug, I know that they had to have used molds in the "olden days"... but for some reason, I never considered that metal molds (and especially such heavy ones) would be used for chocolate! But I googled antique chocolate molds and all sorts of fun stuff came up.

OMG... I just googled "cast iron mold snowman" while I was in the middle of typing this response, and found out that this "antique" ain't so antique!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001068U1Y/ref=asc_df_B001068U1Y1516540/?tag=prontocom92535-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B001068U1Y&linkCode=asn

It's not EXACTLY the same, but it's so close it's scary. The only real difference is the amount of detail on the snowmen. The one my friend has a lot less details on it. Oh, man... I wonder how I'm gonna break this to the owner?! Thankfully, I don't think she paid too much for it.

Why would anyone "knock off" a mold? Or has this one just been used a lot? What could anyone be casting in that mold that would wear off so much iron?

Usually posting a question on these forums gets you a nice neat answer... now I've got a million more about this silly thing! :)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8520966

There are lots of reproductions of original antiques out there. Apparently not intended to be misrepresented when originally manufactured and sold. But when resold they might be represented as original.

The original was used as a pattern for the reproduction models. The quality of the cast iron is usually how one can tell. Sometimes you will see the casting seams or rough edges. The finish effort on newer versions is not the same as the original.

honeypie129
Buffalo, NY

May 6, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8544185

Hi! Where did you get them? To me, they look like chocolate molds. Today they're made out of plastic, but maybe years ago they were made out of cast iron! I've never seen anything like this. Could also be a cookie mold. I'm no expert!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8589544

I agree Honeypie, they do look like chocolate molds. I collect them, and this post caught my eye.lol
But chocolate molds won't ever be cast iron. They're steel or copper with shiny tin lining, or the rarer nickel silver plated.
There's also pot metal cast, hard candy molds.
As mentioned above, this to me looks like a gingerbread/cookie mold, used for baking :0) That's never a bad thang!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

March 28, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9061234

[quote="cocoa_lulu"]I agree Honeypie, they do look like chocolate molds. I collect them, and this post caught my eye.lol
But chocolate molds won't ever be cast iron. They're steel or copper with shiny tin lining, or the rarer nickel silver plated.
There's also pot metal cast, hard candy molds.
As mentioned above, this to me looks like a gingerbread/cookie mold, used for baking :0) That's never a bad thang![/quote]

I am with you - I am in Australia - my mother had a cast iron "drop scone" tray - not fancy, just round shallow circles - there was a recipe for it. Then you baked it in the oven.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9061920

What a wonderful memory to have, Biddy! I love the smell of ginger in all forms :0)
In my part of the country we make far more cornbread than gingerbread. Usually just during the holidays do we think of gingerbread, that's a shame :0)

I'm curious since you mention cast iron, are Griswold cast iron pans common in Australia?
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

June 28, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9184293

[quote="Plants4myPots"]We think this thing is iron, anyway. It's heavy and black and kinda looks like a cast iron cookware, but it's meant to mold something into the shape of snowmen.

One of my pottery students is using it as a press mold to make Xmas ornaments out of clay.

Thanks![/quote]

I think it is for drop scones - has anyone else answered this puzzle?
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

June 28, 2012
12:25 AM

Post #9184296

[quote="cocoa_lulu"]What a wonderful memory to have, Biddy! I love the smell of ginger in all forms :0)
In my part of the country we make far more cornbread than gingerbread. Usually just during the holidays do we think of gingerbread, that's a shame :0)

I'm curious since you mention cast iron, are Griswold cast iron pans common in Australia? [/quote]

Sorry cocoa_lulu - I think I have answered this out of order. I didn't see your comment until now, I will have to GOOGLE and check this out. I don't know who my mother's original cast iron drop scone tray was made by - I have to confess, I did not know what to use this for - she told me it was a drop scone tray _ I had a fancy glass topped cooker, and didn't ask the question of where it was to be baked? I thought it would have to go on the top of the glass topped cooker - never thought for some reason it should be in the oven!!! So! I got rid of it when I moved after she died - and had to buy an aluminium copy from the second hand shop! What an idiot am I! The lesson to be learned here - talk to your mother and ASK THE QUESTIONS! Sadly, mum has been gone 16 years!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America