-
AuthorContent
PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8515346

Since there are many of us dealing with chronic pain, I thought I would share a herbal recipe. I will be talking about my own experiences and the historic use of the herb...so "not intended as a substitute for medical advice". Duh.

We've been talking about St johnswort oil as pain reliever when applied topically. Well, SJW doesn't bloom here until June and I've used up all of last summer's oil so I am turning to another herb which I love...DANDELION! This much maligned weed has been used historically for pain, digestive complaints, bladder health (old english name is piss-in-bed!), constipation, and one of the first greens in spring. I love it...and have a large patch of it growing out in front where my grass used to be..haha.

How I made my dandelion salve was pretty darn simple. I filled a quart jar with yellow dandelion flowers. I picked them off of the stalks since I was primarily interested in the flower-power. :) I was making a lot of salve so you don't have to go through picking a whole quart of dandelion flowers...use a smaller jar if you'd like. To the flowers I add coconut oil which has been already melted. I stir and then top up the jar to make sure it's all mixed up. Then I place the jar in a water bath in my crock pot, turn it on low and leave it. Sometimes for a day, overnight, or a couple. However the spirit moves me. Then, while the whole thing is still hot I strain it through cheesecloth into a clean jar or multiple containers. It will set up as it cools. And be a lovely color of yellow as well!!

I use this salve for aches and pains. The coconut oil melts at body temp and leaves a lovely feeling. It might feel greasy at first but it will soak in after a minute or so. It takes a while to work and I find that if I load up on it at bedtime, I will feel much better in the morning!

Now, there are about a thousand variations on the above recipe. If you want to learn more about this herb (and others maybe) try this site:
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/
Plus, she has lots of links there too. Let me know if you give it a try and if it works for you!
Jacki

This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America