Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rocky Mountain Gardening: New Bed

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8516098

I just planted some rhubarb in the new bed that was formerly nasty clay & rock. The earth worms are flourishing!

Sonny

Thumbnail by Pewjumper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8583467

Sonny, that looks great! Im sure the rhubarb is going to love it. Maybe plant some strawberries too :)
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8585036

Lillyz,

Thanks!

Strawberries! Oh yes!

Unfortunately the wicked witch of winter got two of my rhubarbs, but not to worry. I am going to wait until I make some improvements to the soil on the lower level of my yard this summer. Then I will plant fruit trees, rhubarb, berries & strawberries in Spring of 2012.

I just planted nine agastaches, (3 different varieties) in a line along the retaining wall. Eight cone flowers and Eight blanket flowers are waiting to be planted in the next couple of days, along with a mix of 200 daffodils in the Fall. I will finish the bed out with bearded iris, salvia, saffron crocus & ???.

I am done with tulips, the deer are just to much.

Sonny

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

September 13, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9274668

The terraced look is wonderful, Pewjumper! Great job. It's going to be gorgeous with all the plants growing.

Got two apple trees planted, and what a job- I think my yard must've been a creek bed at one time long ago, as I needed a pick axe instead of a shovel to make the hole for the Granny Smith. But...I had wished for some river rock, and boy did I find it in THAT hole. Be careful what you wish for. ;-) The Lord might just give it to ya'. LOL

My greenhouse has begun: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1279134/
petset77
Fort Garland, CO
(Zone 4b)

September 16, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9277185

The bed looks great! Can't wait to see it when the plantings come up.
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9279743

Well, I had grand plans for 2012.

What I got was a heart attack on January 1, 2012. But the Lord took good care of me and I escaped with two stents and no heart damage.

However, that pretty much wiped out the money I had saved up for further landscapping. But, I am saving up money over the Winter and will try again in the Spring of 2013.

This October I WILL get my compost layer down to help protect my plants over the Winter. We hardly got any snow and I lost a lot of plants. Praise God I still have a ton of acidified cotton boll compost along with a lot of peat moss stacked up so I can renovate the two front beds and get everything ready for Winter.

That and and about three hundred in gift cards from High Country Gardens should make for a great Spring!

Sonny

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America