Communities > Forums > Alternative Gardening
Forum: Alternative GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8516859

Thought I'd posted this, but I guess it winged off into cyberspace. I bought two artichoke plants last week, and can't decide what to do with them. To Bale, or not to Bale?
Anybody have any experience? I'll be reading up on them, I think they may need two years to mature, but I may be way off.
Maybe I'll just plant one in a bale, and one in a pot. Maybe buy another today, and put it in the ground, just to cover all bases.
Pipersville, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8531127

If they're 'perennials', I definitely wouldn't put them in bales. They'd need to be in the ground to withstand winter, even down there, I'd think. Plus, the bales won't last but, hopefully, the plants will.
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8531719

At most, they're biennials. Some of my bales overwinter well, so it's a toss up. I've got stuff going into last years bales today, as seeds.
I'm gonna 'speriment...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Alternative Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Community Gardens paulgrow 16 Apr 13, 2009 9:21 PM
Hydroponic Lettuce s_neubaum 2 Jul 6, 2007 3:42 AM
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
cloninig machine dmichael619 12 May 20, 2007 4:27 AM
Welcome to the new Community Gardening forum! Terry 9 Aug 1, 2009 10:13 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America