Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Did I plant zinnia, okra, and beans too early?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 7, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ZSThomp

(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8518781

Hello,

In in the San Diego area and new to gardening here. I think I jumped the gun. I direct sowed pole beans, okra and zinnias a few weeks ago and they just recently started to come up. Some of the zinnia cotyledon look wrinkled. But the worst are the beans! The first true leaves are small, wrinkled, and just don't look well.
What happened? I have a feeling the soil was too cold and/or wet. It is generally 60s or 70s in the daytime which is fine but at night it gets down to the low 50s and occasionally high 40s.
Should I pull them up and resow again or are they capable of growing out of it? Thanks!
Ironsides
Eastlake, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8521460

Hi,
Zinnias require a soil temperature of around 74 F. I would wait until your night time temperaute is in the 60's and the daytime is in the 70's. Then you can direct sow outdoors. Next year try starting your zinnias indoors the end of March with a grow light and a heating mat made for seed starting. They work very well. You order a temperature control for the mat and you are in business. Good luck.

Ironsides
ZSThomp

(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2011
10:42 PM

Post #8523323

Thanks Ironsides,

I did jump the gun on these seeds I get. Should I dig up the ones in the ground or do you think they'll come out of it? They actually don't look that bad. The beans and the Okra however...

Z
Ironsides
Eastlake, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8525088

Z,
Leave the beans and okra in if they look ok. Try re-planting the zinnias a little later.
These are my Zinnias that I started indoors in late March.

"Stay Happy and keep Gardening!"

Ironsides

Thumbnail by Ironsides
Click the image for an enlarged view.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8529694

ive never used a heat mat to start zinnias,I do start them under lights inside so its nice an warm anyway,but they take off quickly.im going to start some outside in flats soon,didnt have room inside this year.Good info on the temps they like.Thanks
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8533355

I start my zinnias indoors without a heat mat, too, but as soon as they are up they go into a cool greenhouse, that is only heated when the temps fall below 50 degrees inside. They do just fine and are nice and stocky.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
2:28 AM

Post #8533740

thinking id better throw some in the flats,today...
ZSThomp

(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8541587

Thanks for the replies. Your zinnias look awesome. Nothing like mine. The few I have left are OK but they aren't growing fast, even outside. I'm wondering if they are staying to moist because I water the other seed areas in the bed that haven't come up yet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America