Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Starting a lawn the hard way: Yep...

Communities > Forums > Article: Starting a lawn the hard way
bookmark
Forum: Article: Starting a lawn the hard wayReplies: 3, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hustonprincess
Bryan, TX

April 25, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8519237

We live in Bryan, TX and have the identical soil issues along with a very high salt content to city water. I have gotten advise that we need to use gypsum lime in the soil to remedy the salt.

During the early part of this spring, we were supplied with what we thought was a "weed killer" when in actuality it was a "weed and total vegetation killer. VERY IMPORTANT to be told this before hand. We had completely seeded last year before we moved in with Scot's Gold grass seed to the tune of $100.00 for the seed! Now it's nothing but dried dead remnants. Sooooo...we decided to rot till the whole back yard and start from scratch. My husband has completely leveled the obviously uneven lawn. We are now ready to fertilize, rake again and then sow seed which we have purchased AGAIN...costing AGAIN over $100.00 (it's Zenith Zoysia and one bag covers 2,000 sq. ft.).

We chose this because of it's drought tolerance and growth strength and weed resistance AND it is JUST seed.

My question(s) now is/are...how much watering should we do before planting the seed and then how often following and what type of sprinkler is the most efficient for coverage? We have now for the last 2 or more weeks been dealing with constant winds and drought here in the Brazos valley along with record heat for this time of year. Will this be a factor for the new grass seedlings? My tulips and daffodils have NEVER bloomed...some are even wind burnt...

So far the potted peach trees are ok...we are also planting a Madarin Orange tree and a I forget species but it's a lighter version of Blood Orange tree (we know that we must maintain an ungrassed area for these).

As always...Gig'em Aggies!
Julia

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 25, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8519874

Julia, thanks for sharing your experience with your lawn...OMG, I feel for you, so much work and having to do it all over again!
To answer your questions...you need to water the lawn at least once a day, very well, insist on each area which your hose covers, but do not make too much water on the ground which will make the seeds float. I didn't water the soil before sowing, only right after that. If you can, it'd be better to water twice a day, in the morning and at sunset. I wouldn't advise you to use a sprinkler until the seedlings are at least 2 inches tall. You can't walk on the lawn until then to put the sprinkler and it might not water enough all the areas.
Your weather (except for the high temps) seems so much like what we've had...very strong winds which burned the leaves on my plants.
I'm posting a picture of the lawn with one of the trees I have (a sour cherry) and my grandson playing. I've also maintained an ungrassed area around the trees, but some of the seeds may jump over and sprout in there too. Just pull them out!
I wish you good luck with your lawn and Happy Gardening!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pastapicker
Columbus, OH

April 27, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8524026

Hustonprincess, although it won't be nice to have a bare yard all summer, I would wait to sow until weather conditions are more moderate. Such harsh conditions will make it very hard for the seedlings to grow strong, even if you water religiously (and can afford the water bill!) and might end up dying before next year because they couldn't make strong roots. I don't know much about zoysia, but most plants that can stand harsh conditions still need to be able to get well established first before they can.

Adinamiti, I have been there and am still doing that!! My neighbors think I am crazy when they see me out there for hours pulling the weeds by hand, but I do try to avoid using the chemicals. We had drought last year and I lost big patches of grass so I have replanted again and am trying to keep the weeds from taking over first.
Now, if those neighbors would keep their weeds from going to seed, I wouldn't be spending so much time on my hands and knees!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 28, 2011
12:23 AM

Post #8525540

Pastapicker, thanks for sharing your experience and for your good advice! I have often wondered how are those gorgeous lawn made...do they ever have weeds? I think they are using herbicide.

Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Starting a lawn the hard way Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boy, you are dedicated! sallyg 11 Apr 27, 2011 8:20 AM
If its green .....mow it! binibusybee 5 May 3, 2011 1:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America