Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Bluebird thread

Norman, OK

Since several of us have bluebirds, why not have a thread for BB pics? Our babies are about to fledge, so I'm trying to keep a close eye on the box the next day or so.

To start things off, a pic of Daddy leaving the mealworm feeder with a mouthful for the babies.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

Daddy on poop patrol. Leaving the box with a fecal sac. He just fell out of the box backward with it and then took off. They always drop them some distance from the box to avoid predators keying in on their nest.

Norman, OK

Watching me with a tub of mealworms in my hand. He knows the drill.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Such cute photos Red. I wonder if you just held that tub of mealworms long enough, would he come and grab one?

Norman, OK

duc, I think if I held the feeder Daddy is accustomed to, he would land on it. Then make a transition to something else or just my hand, but I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to make him that comfortable with a human.

C'mon folks. Let's see some BB's.

Mama with a moth she brought to the babies yesterday.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

You're so right about human contact Red.
Mom sure is pretty with that butterfly-nice job!

Norman, OK

Daddy on poop patrol.

Norman, OK

And away we go!

Stafford County, VA

Here's one from a few minutes ago.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

And another

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is it! The one thread to watch! Thank you Red and Dave for such awesome photos of the beautiful Blues in action.

Norman, OK

We have a bad case of empty nest syndrome around here. The babies fledged unnoticed during the rain today.

Norman, OK

Look who came back late in the day for some worms. They gathered them up and took them to the babies down on the creek. I tried to find them, but they are on the other side of the creek and hidden from my view. It's going to be cold tonight, but the babies have full bellies!

Great light for a change. Mama has never looked so colorful.

Norman, OK

Another shot of Mama gathering worms.

Norman, OK

I hadn't seen the bluebirds all afternoon after the babies fledged. While we were eating dinner, the oriole that had visited earlier today landed on the feeder in the back yard. I jumped up grabbed the camera and as I'm heading to the window see the oriole being chased away by Daddy. He checked the box several times just like last year, almost like he's making sure everyone is out.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2011 8:27 PM

Norman, OK

A shot of Daddy on the feeder.

Marlton, NJ

Very nice!

Norman, OK

No luck in finding my recently fledged babies. They are down on a nearby creek with a lot of mature trees and lots of green foilage to hide in. The parents come and take worms to them and I try to follow, but no luck so far. When I came in yesterday, my wife asked me if I found the babies and I responded, "I found Mama and Daddy found me." I was down on the creek watching Mama through the binocs hoping she would lead me to the babies and I heard Daddy's melodious greeting. He was sitting nearby watching me.

Norman, OK

We were in Branson last week and didn't see much of the bluebirds. I returned home Friday and was surprised that Mama had laid the first egg of her second brood. She didn't do that last year unti 31 May. She skipped Saturday and laid a second egg yesterday. No sign of the babies since they fledged.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Your Blues are sure beautiful Red...and congrats on the new nest. Hope all goes well!!

Our Blues will be fledging any day now...there are six and they are starting to peek out. I am on pins and needles and will not rest until I see all of them safely fledge!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Their adorable!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats Red on the new nesting on your BBs. Rose, I'm excited for you. Oh what joy to be able to watch those little ones fledge. Best wishes to both.

Norman, OK

After I made that post this morning all 3 of the fledglings showed up next door and in our back yard with Daddy. Mama was in the box laying. The young fly as strong as the parents and are extremely spooky. That's good.

Norman, OK

Another one.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh joy! Precious babies learning to be independent. And they're cautious of the environment. Papa must have done a good job. lol

Norman, OK

Looking at that pic again, rose. I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow is the day.

Marlton, NJ

How sweet! I love the young Bluebirds.

Norman, OK

Babies came by for another visit today. I also had another male bluebird in the yard. Daddy flew in and sat in the same tree with it, but didn't attack like he normally would.

A couple of the babies.

Norman, OK

Daddy waving hello. Or does that mean 'bring worms'?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from reddirtretiree :
Daddy waving hello. Or does that mean 'bring worms'?

That's so sweet a gesture. I agreed, bring worms please.

Norman, OK

dellrose, did your babies fledge? Daddy is bringing ours back for breakfast now and they are in and out of the yard. Getting brave enough to come down to the mealworm feeder. Mama has laid 3 eggs on a second clutch, but hasn't laid in a couple of days. Not sure what is up with that.

This message was edited May 13, 2011 8:29 AM

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Your juvies are just adorable!! All your Blues are gorgeous and look very healthy. Has your female laid anymore eggs?

Our brood fledged on Wednesday morning and I missed the whole thing. I was up early but evidently not early enough since they were all gone by 7:30. I finally found all 6 of them this morning in the walnut tree. It was a relief to see them since we have had some storms and strong winds since they fledged.

Thumbnail by dellrose
West End, NC

I love all of the pictures! This is our second year providing nest boxes for bluebirds and I am hooked! I still haven't been able to get a single good picture, though. Do you all use a special lens or technique? Any hints? I am new to all of this, so please understand if this is inappropriate, but is there a way to swap picture on Dave's? The ones in this thread are wonderful and I'd love to hang a few on my walls.
By the way, a pair of BlueBirds is scouting out the two boxes closest to our house. (Maybe they are "our" birds from last year, which successfully fledged several babies?) This spring, we lost a nest (only one egg had been laid) when the tornadoes ripped through close to us last month, and we hadn't seen any return until three days ago. It's amazing to me how much I look forward to seeing them, when two years ago, I had no idea they were around. Thanks for sharing and your help.

Norman, OK

Glad your babies are safe, rose. We had a little confrontation with the mockingbirds last night and I'm afraid it might be irreversible. We had some guests over and I put out some worms so they could see the bluebirds up close. The mockers saw the worms in the feeder, took over and chased the bluebirds away. I've moved it out of site of the mockingbirds. I'll try again in a little while.

Sandhillslover, I think the most important key to getting good bluebirds is to get acquainted with a pair. Once they know and trust you, close shots will follow.

One of the bluebird bullies.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Rose, how adorable is that picture that they are all huddled together. CUTE.

Marlton, NJ

That is an adorable pic Rose!

Nice ones Red!

Norman, OK

Mama is incubating a second brood of only 3 eggs so Daddy spends a lot of time around the box. Often sits on the edge and peers at the hole. Yesterday when I put out mealworms, he took some to Mama and passed them into her.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Blue Birds hosting is one challenging endeavor. One can't help but love these adorable beautiful birds. Thanks Red, Rose, and Dave for sharing those wonderful experience with others.

Norman, OK

lily, bluebirds form a bond with you that other birds don't. I feed all sorts of birds around here and most fly off when I walk out into the yard. Daddy is the only one that flies in when he sees me. Mama is much more shy than he is. They become pets for sure.

Mama is inside the box. Daddy and one of the first brood juvies are paying her a visit.

This message was edited May 19, 2011 7:06 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

They're heart warming, and can be heart-breaking to witness their struggle with other predatorial critters. So far, I haven't succeeded on hosting them....but look, one just dropped by as I type...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.