Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: How to seal a crack in resin water fountain

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 4, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8521342

I have a 2 tier water fountain, made of resin. It leaked this year so we investigated to find cracks in the bottom basin. It would need thick layers to cover the damaged area - suggestions? They are not cracks that are all the way through, just splits where the water seeps out over a one day period (large basin).

I really want to seal it up verses buying a new one.
Kathy
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8521538

I've patched my fountains with fiberglass with good results. You can purchase fiberglass resin and cloth at Home Depot or an Auto parts place. Make sure the surfaces are clean and dry and rough up the surface with some sandpaper. Mix the resin and hardener per the directions, cut a piece of fiberglass cloth to fit. Apply the resin then the cloth and overcoat with resin.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8522520

Great, thanks for the reply. We were thinking some sort of marine glue or fiberglass mix. What area of Home Depot would I find 'fiberlass resin" - cause our store has employee's that have no clue when asked what t need.

Thanks for the reply
Kathy
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8523701

It's in the paint section. In my store it by the glues and adhesives.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8523922

Thanks! I'm sure the kids at Lowes wouldn't know what I wanted. thanks - I'm going to get some tomorrow when I go to our store 30 miles away.
Kathy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America