Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: What is happening in your Garden Today Spring 2011

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 286, Views: 1,377
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8521356

This is just a spot to talk about what is going on in your garden every day. Maybe a new project you are working on, plants you are adding. What might be blooming or wildlife visiting your garden. Just a spot to talk about whatever is happening in your garden today. I will be running today not sure what I will get done in the Garden today but I do have a Flower bed calling my name "Holly come weed me"

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8521399

Thanks for new thread Holly. Interesting to compare last years thread to this year. We are so busy!!

Found a bloom stalk this am on my rhubarb planted last year.Never have seen one before. Glad you are feeling better.

Thumbnail by coleup

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8521440

I have never seen a Rhubarb flower before. That's really interesting. I am feeling better and it is just beautiful outside. I would be out there but I am taking my parents to the Dr's this afternoon for a check up after Dad's procedure a couple of weeks ago. Then I have to drop Josh & his girl off with their kayaks. I have been looking at that bed for a couple of weeks now wishing it would be dry enough to get in there and do something about those Quince suckers. I am hoping to get to it later today if the scattered showers miss us it should be good and dry by then.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8521543

Sunny, humid, breezy today and screaming my name LOL.
After DD having some friends over Sunday for a campfire (that got cut short with rain) I have dusty/sandy floors I must clean first.
A plant that I am missing has been chalked up to "vole food", I think I now remember finding it dead last year. Easy come easy go. It was a mystery volunteer two years ago.
Some of my beds are in good shape with a chopped leaf-mulch, others are weedamania. I could really enjoy an hour of sitting and grooming moss but probably can't justify it! The moss is so pretty right now, the birds are singing, breeze blowing...sigh!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8521754

Went out early this morning and weeded the whole front right bed next to the house. Put 3 huge blocks of coir in water in the trailer to soak so I can use it to mulch this bed. While it was soaking, sat on the mower for 2 hours and got the whole lawn done. I don't thing that the lawn weed killers do anything. Most of the lawn was yellow with dandelions. They're ALL GONE !! One of my kids sent me 3 dwarf butterfly bushes (including a pretty yellow one) and 2 beautiful bi colored Sorbet Peonies for Mother's Day. If they had brought them I would have had them dig 'em in. Going out to get my shovel.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8521942

Wishing it felt more like spring than summer, got too hot too fast
I received my Blustone order for the fairy garden but don't feel like going out there in this heat and humidity...I'm such a wuss!!!

Here's some pics of what I received

Frosted Mouse Ears hosta

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8521945

Phlox Home Fires already blooming

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8521948

Iris Cristata already blooming(it's soooo cute!)

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8521950

Elfin Thyme

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8521953

Little Jay Hosta

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8521958

Lamium Maculatum Aureum

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8521962

Geranium Shepherd's Warning

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8521970

Went and got some plants for that berm I'm doing near the property line
I found the Ruby Falls Cercis and the Wegiela Ghost that I wanted
Also bought Black Mondo grass and Dwarf Golden Threadbranch Cypress

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8521973

Mondo

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8521976

Ghost

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8521985

Good stuff Jen! It's just as well you wait for cooler day, for the plants as well.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8522121

Sally go groom your moss. I spent an hour grooming mine the other day and it looks so pretty and nice. I laughed saying who grooms their moss? Other than those gardens with tons of garden elf apprentices. That work for college credits and are thrilled to have it on their resumes. You will so enjoy the feel of the moss and as you groom it and how beautiful it looks a day after.
Roses, It will be so nice seeing your Gardens this spring. Can't wait to see all the work you have done.
Jen, Nice haul. Love that Iris and the dwarf golden thread. Can't wait to see it all planted.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8522556

I wish I had known in college that someone WOULD give me credit for this stuff. I did a litlle gardening, even a little moss grooming.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8522642

Oh It was a beautiful evening out there tonight. After I played with Ric's new toy a bit I started on that Flower Bed that was calling my name. I got about half of it done and finally started planting the pansies that I have had since April 2nd. Dug up another columbine and some ivy and got them potted up for the swaps.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8523653

Got some things planted yesterday. Also cleaning off the deck. Won't be around much this summer, so I'm not planting deck containers.

I'm with you, Jen. I don't do heat and humidity very well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8523729

Holly, bet you feel pretty good finally getting some quality time with your love- the garden!

Jan, well no deck pots is one less thing to mess with. I cleaned off my deck table too, it sure needed it.

My old fashioned Weigela is blooming now. and Carolina allspice. That scent was wafting in the window last night, I planted it under a bedroom window. I have one more to dig for swap if requested.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8524151

ooo, Allspice is one of those on my want list
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8525064

Here's what's blooming at Buttoneer's. Confederate Violet. Invasive but with flowers like that, who cares?

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8525066

I wintered this Auricula over in the greenhouse & it is starting to bloom. Will put it outside in a couple weeks.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8525068

Corydalis solida. This miniature gently spreads. Just love it!!!

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8525073

Helleborus. Almost over now but it was lovely while it lasted.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8525074

This variegated coltsfoot was unusual. Then something ate the flower off & the variegated leaves are coming up now.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8525079

This variegated Lily of the valley is coming up now. Can't wait to see the flower.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8525317

That is such a pretty violet

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8525323

I just get these common ones

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8525325

Geranium Samodor

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8525328

Azalea

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8525331

Aquilegia

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8525334

Ruby Falls Cercis I just purchased

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8525515

Wow what pretty things, both of you!
Jen with anything else I would send it to you, but this particular thing (Carolina allspice) I am worried would not like being bare-rooted and mailed.
Is Ruby Falls a red leafed one?

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8525855

Lovely blooms, everyone. Jen, you always purchase some interesting stuff.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8526274

Oh no, Sally...I didn't mean I wanted you to send it to me. It's just one of the items on my (very LONG) wish list...LOL
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8526551

Cercis Ruby Falls, does this Redbud have the very deep pink flowers? I have seen those and they are drop dead gorgeous. The Confederate Violet will spread and is considered invasive. Flowajen, if you want me to send you one, lmk. Judy

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8526611

Here's some pics of the leaves and flowers on the Ruby falls
http://www.planthaven.com/cercruby.html
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8526917

I didn't get to work in the garden today. But I did take a nice walk around the gardens with friends after I got home from working. Ric did some building today he is working on several different projects and one of them is a large arbor with bench seats. I will post pics when he has it done and in place.
Jen I just love that Geranium Samodor.
My Helles are still putting on a real show and I am so happy that the Pink Dragonfly Bergenia is flowering. I think that was planted 3 years ago and was so very slow to get going. Think it finally is doing well.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8528180

Striking tree Jen! Way to go. I didn't think you were 'asking' for the Allspice, no worries---- but if we ever get to swap at the same place, I'll be sure to have one for ya.

Pretty Bergenia! I tried one, once but failed. I am smarter now but still don't know that I have a good spot for it, does it like moisture and shade?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8528676

Jen That Ruby Falls is really neat. I haven't seen any like that.
Sally not too sure what they like as mine isn't exactly flourishing but it is pretty much full sun.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8528806

Hy'a all!

I have heard or read that Bergenias like shade...don't remember where...

I DO remember that when i went to Latvia in 2006--one of my Cousins--
the one with the extravagant gardens (how can they even afford it???)
had a Bergenia. I took a photo of it (not in bloom) and posted and asked for an ID.
I thought how nice it would be to have one...ALL I need is some space--somewhere...

Anyway--What was happening in my garden today was wonderful!
FINALLY!!!! I got a man to start building my raised bed...HURRAY!
He is a long-time friend of the young fellow, back yard neighbor--who is my girls' age.

He will charge me $15/hr. Pretty fair! Today--he was here from 9:15AM until 3PM.
Worked hos butt off--besides--he is a perfectionist. Nice guy too...
I helped here and there--with the piddly stuff...

-We went to L:owes to buy the -4x4's---kaching! I like their 4x4's better than the ones we sell at HD.
--Also got 100-6" spike nails to pound them all together.
--Went to Ace to get 3 bags of "Ready Mix" concrete for setting the 3 4x4 posts that will hold the
2 panels of "Shadow Box" fence behind the bed--which will provide a nice backdrop and
keep me having to look at my back yard neighbor's trash cans and all the rubble he throws there...

Happy with things so far! Here is one picture from today.
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8528867

The bed will be 5-4x4's high--Of course--the first one is, pretty much, buried below soil level.
Two of the three posts have been set for the 2 "Shadow Box" fencing panels...

He was all pooped out--will continue tomorrow AM.

I still have NO idea WHERE or HOW MUCH top soil to get...
I think I will need between 1--and 1 1/2 cubic yards.
Many places have 2 or 3 cy minimum...to deliver...

Also--still struggling with all the advice on the composition of the "perfect" soil mix
we have hashed over and over here on the DG Soil Forum...

Mostly--I cannot find the Thread where "Tapla" was talking about all the soil mix ingredients...
***WHAT were those small, puffed, clay-like particles Tapla kept talking about?????

NOT the "Rock Dust"----the other.
What Thread was that on????? I went back to mt Post on the "Soil and Composting Thread----
but it was NOT the one he talked about all this stuff...

If all fails--I will just buy a couple of bags of Contractor Sand----or the rougher version--
No#2 under pavers mix, which, actually, has small bits and pieces of rock in it--and call it OK!
Of course--I also have several bags of composter, shredded leaves waiting to be incorporated
in this mix--as well as a big tote-full of mu own compost.

I KNOW it will all work out. No one can, realistically, comply with all the ingredients talked about
if you have no local place to get it...ALSO--IF one thinks it is NOT totally necessary...

Have to think of all this VERY, VERY soon--so I do not lose this workman's commitment to building
this bed...Tine is of essence--and my now--almost 18" tall Tomatoes are chomping at the bit to be
planted...Can't wait!!!! It will look beautiful!!!!
May be the most expensive bed I have ever built!!!!
That's what happens when you have NO man in your life to do this for free...It is all $$$$$$$$$$...

Gita
Here is another view of the bed--coming along...
One thing--------------I thought it was 4' wide. The bed is just 3' wide... Bummer!

edited to ad----I am still struggling with the idea of laying a double layer of pro Weed Block down
before the bed is filled with soil.
NOT because I fear any weeds coming up--Heavens--NO!!!!
It is because i want to keep any of the small, feeder roots from my Maple Tree growing into this lush, new bed...

I seriously hope this gray, pro-grade Weed block will do the job--at least for a few years...
Ray (the guy building this bed for me) hacked quite a few, wrist sized ,from my tree out of the perimeter
of the bed...Hope that will help a bit...
Keeping my fingers crossed...Will post more pictures as this progresses...

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 5:09 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8529064

Gita, Your raised bed is looking really good. Looks like a really nice start. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8529863

Yup, I'm really happy to see that going up. Its going to look VERY nice!

I wouldn't sweat about getting it filled with 'tapla' mix. He primarily talks about containers. Topsoil and some help from you with leaves will work fine. Think of all the billions of pounds of produce grown in 'regular' dirt. Check your calculations and if you can only take 1 1/2 yards, surely somebody would deliver that instead of two, and charge the fee for two yards of course, but what else can you do? That would be a whole lotta bags.
If you end up doing with bags you could fluff it with some fine mulch added.

What are the dimensions again?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8530426

Sally and Holly----

Ray, the guy doing the work on this bed, is a perfectionist! I am SOOO grateful...
All he has done has to be just so...Not 1/4" off...

I am VERY pleased with the bed so far. Can't wait for the two panels of "Shadowbox Fence" to be erected...
That will really look great--and I won't have to look at my back-yard neighbors junk...

Ray does a good job!!!! I help with the minor stuff...but today--mostly--I did some digging up and
potting up some off-shoots from my Columbines ans my Astilbes. They sure DO try to travel!!!

Today (Saturday--day #2) he, basically, finished the construction of the bed.
All 3 posts are cemented in for the two 6'x8' fence panels. Will get those Monday.

Tried to order delivery of 3 cy of top soil. Called 2 places--neither had any..
It has to do with the rain--same as sod cannot be cut with all these rains--and people just
don't get it...They think sot is just manufactured somewhere--in a factory, DAH!!!

Same when people come in asking for plants that have not yet grown enough to be sold---
Like Bleeding heart--Lilacs-- Butterfly Bushes--Ornamental Grasses, Purple Fountain Grass, etc...
I tell them--IF they brought in pots of some dead sticks--would you buy that?
One has to wait until the plants are in their best "form"---like blooming or attractive
enough to sell. People just don't "GET IT"!!!!

Anyway--Here is the progress after today's work on my bed...
Looking good!!!! Also--Looking really BIG--as far as how much soil it will need...
Two cubic yards--easy! Then--I have my bags of composted leaves to add and am also
considering buying a couple of bags of that "Contractor's sand" or the "Paver's underlayment"...
That has small bits of stone in it...
I seem to still be hung up on needing all this "texture" thing "tapla" keeps talking about...
By now I believe, though, that any field-scraped topsoil would already have all that in there...

Here are some pictures of the bed as of today.
View from my shed--West...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8530430

View from the other direction towards my shed.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8530489

Looking out from my BR window...here is how the bed will fit in my back yard...
The unfinished part-- all the way to the right--is where I will have my "Au Natural"
Compost bin. This area is about 4'x3'. Maybe 4x4...

I was wrong before--estimating that the bed was 4' wide. It is just 3' wide and 16' long.
Chose this as a cut-off point b/c 4x4's are 8' long...leaving the remaining 4'-5' as my
Composting bin-to-be place...
I have NO Plans in my head yet how I want that built...I DO know it will have all 4 sides
made of slatted boards and the whole thing lined with 1/4" wire mesh to keep things IN--
and small critters OUT! All the fruit and Cantalopes and Watermellons I eat--I can see how that
would be so tempting for greens-loving critters...

My still remaining "Not sure what to do" is what kind of base should this Compost Bin area have?????
I DO NOT want to leave it just dirt--as too many small feeder roots from my Silver Maple will invade it.
Then it will be just another area of solidly-matted, small, invasive roots...

I have thought of putting down pavers as a base, because I do not want to exclude worms
having access to the compost material--yet it would limit root growth under it...
Believe me! Any worms I dig up during all my gardening will be moved to either this
raised bed--or to the Compost Pile...Free housing!!! NO rent--just poop a lot!!!!
At this point--my to-be Compost pile is not yet a priority...Later--Alligator!!!!

Ray will come back on Monday--after I meet up with him to buy the 2 panels of fencing at my HD...
I need him to do this as he has a truck...
Too bad the soil may not yet be available!!!! We could have finished this all off Monday if it was...
That REALLY bugs me!!!! But--I DO understand!

My Tomato plants are all close to16"-18" tall--just chomping at the bit to be planted...
A lot of trenches to be dug to lay them "to rest"...

Must learn to bide my time! Gita

Spew any and all advice any of you can offer here...Much appreciated...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8530529

Here is a closer up look at the Compost-bin area to be...
This is from my yard looking toward my neighbor's junky site.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8530535

And a view looking FROM my neighbor's side back to my back yard...

That is ALL the space I have for this...but I am sure it will be better than my SEM!!!!
Which--BTW--is falling apart...

Just got another Promo mailing that THEY will be selling this "AMAZING" composter
ONLY this Saturday--for ONLY $35...

I would almost want to picket the Parking Lot they will be selling this at...
It would say: DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF C--P FOR YOUR COMPOSTING!!!!
I am sure--I would get arrested!!!!

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8531081

Gita, It is really looking good.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8532084

Thanks heavens the SEM is falling apart! I saw that ad too (chuckle)

I get "2 1/2 yards" when I multiply those dimensions, for fill.

DO NOT obsess over tapla's recommendatons. He is talking POTS you have a bed in contact with the ground which will pull any extra moisture out.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8532262

Here is a link to Tapla's soil composition threads. Interesting reading. I note that he does not recommend "sand" as an amendment, but crushed granite and, Sally, if you check this link above he does discuss garden soils, too.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073399/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8532318

Ok, I stand corrected. I only recalled long discussions about pots and containers. I find his points about draninage in pot soils to be very enlightening.

Not much (happening in my garden) with a rain shower just started. I should get a few spring flower pictures before those are over and get ready for my first iris, about to open.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8532789

Sally--
Just eyeballing the size of this bed--I was guessing about 2cy of soil.
I have several trash bags-full of composted, sheredded leaves to ad too.
Might buy a couple bags of pea gravel--have to see what the soil looks like...

Called around yesterday--no one has top soil. The rain and the high demand
is to blame. Will call early tomorrow to see.

I don't want ray (the guy building this) to drive half an hour just to attach
two panels of shadow box fencing,.
I AM impatient as my Tomatoes need to be planted asap--but I can wait
a couple more days..

I might p/u a couple bags og Vigoro pea gravel to scatter throughout...
Just for aeration...

Will keep you updated...Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8532813

In my most humble opinion...having read thru the tapla posts. Use your leaves, don't bother with a couple bags of pea gravel. You will not change the drainage characteristics of your soil with that. If your load of topsoil ends up being not enough soil next year, add to it with bark mulch.

Maybe you should up pot the tomatos , deeply, so they can continue to root. I hate when things get too big and then one hot day comes and the little pot dries out so fast.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8533102

Sally--
Thank you so much for your ideas and support...humble as they may be...
I can always count on you for honest opinions...it is just that I am quite impressionable
when "gurus" speak of things I do not know...Then I think that it is the way to go.

I should learn to just trust my own instincts and experiences. Things seem to work out..
I think the "glitch-factor" here is that I have never had a raised bed----
I think what worried me more than anything--reading tapla's comments--is that an
ALL organic bed would just "collapse" and loose a lot of volume...So--you need all this stone stuff...

I am still going to put down a double layer of my purchased, Commercial-grade, Weed block---
The felt-like gray stuff.
NOT TO BLOCK WEEDS!!!!!! It is to block all these small feeder roots from the bigger Maple
roots making their way into the new bed. It may--or may not work...Time will tell...

The completion of all this is now delayed for a few days b/c of the rain.
Will keep calling some of the Soil Places to check on the availability...

My Tomatoes are now in about 3" pots...I am NOT overly concerned--just anxious to get it all
going...Waited so long for all this!!!! They are safe in semi-shade and kept moist--by all the rain...

Also--I am SICK of looking at all the trash and c--p my neighbor puts behind his Garage...DAH!
HE doesn't see it--ME? That is all I look at!!!! UGLY...

Gita

This will, most likely, be the most expensive bed I have ever had...
Likely--close to $400...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011

Post #8533153

The rest of your yard is kept so neat and pretty- you'll really enjoy this bed when it's done.
We had an afternoon of drizzles. I just huddle under the tree and up potted a couple little seedlings. Nice weather for settling into their new pots.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8534675

Worked this morning and am just home sitting down for a bit. My knee has been pretty bad since I started work. I really need to call the Dr. and see about a shot in that. It's been cloudy and bright off and on all morning with a few sprinkles here and there. Right now it is pretty bright out there and I hope to get outside in a little and do some work. I'm off tomorrow so if the weather would just cooperate I could get some things done.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8535431

I have been hauling since last Friday--when Ray started building the bed...
Do you think I just sat and watched???? NOPE! I worked too--doing a lot of the smaller stuff.
He came back Saturday--same thing...

I worked Sunday--in Garden most of the day--on my feet 3/4 of the day.
The problem I have had with the bottom of my right foot is talking a beating...Hurts a lot...

Today--off of work--hauling in my own garden. Been out there most of the day...
Planted several things--my two front beds are almost done!
Put the Dbl. layer of Commercial Weed Block cloth into the bottom of the raised bed--
pins holding it in.
This is in hopes it will keep some of the small roots from my Maples that want to grow into every
patch of fresh dirt from taking over the new soil in this bed----WHICH--BTW--I cannot get.
Seems no one has any! They all say: "Call us back in a day or two". Rain? High demand???

Then--decided to bring out just about everything else I had inside...Do or die--from now on!
Still have some things in the house...but need to bring out a wire shelving unit to have a place
to put them on.
Set up my patio Chairs--the bench--put on all the cushions, etc...

I work full day Tuesday and Wednesday--until 1PM. Will hope to continue on the bed that afternoon.
Ray cannot come to continue working until Thursday afternoon. I sure hope I have the soil delivered by then!!!!
If not--we wait again until the soil is available...
We still have to go to HD and get the 2 panels of the fencing. The posts are already set and waiting...
That Thursday AM--I have a Dr.'s appointment at 10AM. Goint to a different Podiatrist for a 2nd opinion.

I DREAD all the hard work when the soil comes in. There is NO close dumping of the soil to this bed--
which is in my back yard,
It will be dumped on my driveway (3 cubic yards) and then will have to be wheel-barrowed to the back yard
and dumped into the now 16" high bed.
You KNOW I will be helping with that! If nothing else--mixing and digging the soil as it is dumped...

Woe be me!!!!!
OK! Gotta go watch "Dancing with The Stars"...

CIAO!!!! Gita

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8535440

After a bit of a rest and a pain pill for my knee I headed outside into the gardens. I got a lot done finished the front bed and the one by the potting shed and the small one by the side of the house. Dug up some nice plants for the swaps while I was cleaning the beds. Finally finished planting my pansies. Ric cleaned up the potting shed for me and I worked on the driveway. It all looks pretty good. Now with a little luck and good weather I can move around back and start on those beds.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8535449

Hi Holly, I planted all but three of the plants I got last weekend, started working on the fairy garden, did a bit of weeding & dividing and I was so exhausted and knee hurt so badly, I took a half of a percocet. Also my back was giving me grief. I did wear my back brace and used my garden bench. Why is it when we're old enough to have time for what we love the bodies aren't quite up to it?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8538321

1st Iris of the year

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8538351

Pretty! Looks like one of the better behaved ones, that doesn't shoot up way high and then get blown over- i know whereof I speak!.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8538360

Ya! Very well behaved, I don't have any of the real tall ones.

Loving this geranium 'Samobor'

edited for spelling

This message was edited May 3, 2011 11:26 PM

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8538424

Gorgeous geranium! Is it a vigorous grower too? I have a Bigroot geranium. Very hardy plant- last fall I dug and moved a patch and it looked pretty pitiful. Now its all full, can't beleive how it sprang back.
But some of the tall Iris have a spectacular bloom. I had one open today- should have gotten a pic.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8538443

My first full year with it. I was a little skeptical seeing how small the actual blooms are...so we'll see...I mean geez look at it! It really took off this year, probably be ready to split next year.

I need to take of pic of the Geum in the same bed...these things are HUGE...this is when I first planted everything

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8538479

Looks good- your grass is great too.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8538799

Jen, Everything looks so good.
Ric and I spent yesterday working on 3 different gardens, First we headed up to DGD Lily's school to plant cannas that we had stored for them last fall. Cleaned up 2 beds then planted the cannas and mulched. Then we stopped at Jen's house for a quick visit but they weren't home yet so we spent about a 1/2 hour weeding and cleaning up her front yard while we waited. Then off to my Parents house where Ric mowed and I weeded.
It was beautiful yesterday and today it is raining. No wonder we aren't getting anything done to our own yard. LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8538812

LOL
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8541063

How tall do they get? I ordered some and I will need to know where to plant them.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8542109

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update on my raised bed. It is DONE!!!! YEAH! Looks great! Good workmanship!

Filled with "rich" soil--NOT happy about it at all...
I called a zillion places--and the prices ranged from $28 per cy--to over $100 for the same!

Yesterday at work--I was "burning" the Yellow pages...Seemed no one had any soil available.
I was asking for "Top Soil"-----when I should have been asking for Mixed garden Soil...
Small glitch!!!! Doing the "New Approach...GARDEN SOIL...

There are so many places around here that deliver all kinds of soil...

I considered one--"Egypt Farms"--right here on Rt. #40. a few miles from my house...
Called them---Yadda...yadda...How great their soil was...mixed with Humus and Peat Moss...
$42/cubic yard...plus $70 for delivery...
I couls also have the basic garden Soil they sold mixed wirh Mushroom soil--50/50--
for $41.50 C.Yard...Minimum--3 Yards...Total cost would be $215.
Sounded good--but the price was a bit high...

Called another close-by place. A c.Yard was $33--delivery included...
Minimum purchase for delivery--$100. Sounded good--as they were going on and on
how they mix their own soil and how great it was...
This place would save me $100--so I went with this one...

They delivered it as I was getting in my car to go to my Foot Dr.'s appointment...
3 Yards! DUMP! Sign slip of sales receipt--as I paid for it over the phone.

After my foot-appointment--went right to my HD to await Ray--the man doing all
my work with this bed----to pick up the 2 panels of "Shadow Box" fencing...

Eventually--he came--we loaded up the fencing and went back to my house...

He alternated dumping wheel-barrow-fulls of soil in my raised bed with erecting
the fence panels behind it.
I helped him with aligning the fence--and getting it screwed into the 4x4's.
He "schlepped" the soil from my driveway to this bed...used up just half of it...
NOW WHAT????? Some neighbors had expressed an interest in the extra soil.
Now I have to "bug" them about coming to get it and paying me for it...

I am NOT--NOT happy with the texture of this "amazing"--HUGH??? soil...
It is ALL heavy, dark soil...Nothing "airy" added to it. Like--peat moss...
There were huge clumps in all of this soil---which I tried to break up as soon as
Ray dumped it in the raised bed...Shovel...shovel...hack..hack...Rake..rake...
Still not happy!!!!! Needs a lot of more amendments to it...AAARGHH! More work...

I already added 4 bags of 2yr.old composted leaves top it. Kept digging them in as
Ray was dumping more soil...At the end--I decided that I have a couple of more days of work to do---
Digging in some Peat Moss...some Garden soil Mix---and--if I can find it-some gravel dust.

Just found out I have a "Reclamation Center: very close to me here---that grinds up and
treats all kinds of contractor waste and stone-as well as reclaimed dirt...

Might go there to see if they have any "Rock Dust". Tis soil I had delivered sure needs
something added to it for "body" and aeration. As well as organic stuff (which I have)...

As it stands right now--I plan to add to this dense, clumping soil:
--a couple of bags of Peat Moss
--About 2 bags of Vigoro Pea Gravel
--and, maybe, a couple of bags of "Organic Choice" garden soil for Veggies...

More $$$$$ and more back-breaking work for me...
Gonna do it though!!!! YES, I WILL!!!! Have to! Tomatoes are getting close to 16" high.

Will keep you all updated...Here are a few pictures as of today...

Here is the delivered soil. Only used about 1/2 of it! Need to see if any neighbors will
share in $$ to use the rest of it...See the texture? The clumps?????

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8542110

Another shot of the 3cy pile...

It may well be great garden soil--BUT---OH, so heavy!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8542113

Here is the finished bed looking towards my Shed...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8542129

Here is the raised bed , filled with the soil, looking West...

HEY!! No more of my back-yard's neighbors trash to look at...YEAHHH!!!!!
Besides--I can just see a vine of some sort growing on that fence--
as well as some HB's of blooming plants hanging from those 4x4' posts...

Over all--I am ecstatic!!!! Love the way it looks!!!!
Lots of money--everything included---close to $700!!!!

Noew I have to add all the amendments I plan to dig it until the soil
meets my satisfaction...The way it is now--everything would choke to death...
I HATE to be bamboozled!!!!! Now--I have to make good for my garden...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8542135

And--looking straight from my house to the back of the yard...
Thank, God!!!! No more clutter and trash to be seen!!!!

Happiness is...well, happiness...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8542302

Gita, could you use a Hardy passionflower? I GUARANTEE that would literally cover the fence.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8542380

Gita, That looks really nice. Love your new bed. That fence behind it just makes it so very nice. I like the shadow box style.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8542469

NICE! It came out great.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8542571

Looks, great, Gita!!!!!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8542578

Nice work Gita. Great to have a vision materialize (specially one that so well screens an unwanted scene)

Not that you've asked for any input on your project, but having been through similar "sulking soil":

1) I wouldn't break up those clumps of clay, but take them out and screen any additional soil from your pile before adding it to your bed Let the lumps dry out and they break them up into fine particles and add to your new compost pile for 'conditioning".

2) I'd get my soil "tested" before adding more amendments ,like ph for tomatoes may be too acid if you add peat...Get some "broken bags" of Miracle Grow potting soil to lighten your bed . I mix my spent potting soil up to half and half with real dirt. My HD Bell person was always a good one to let know I was looking for quantities of spent soil without any plant material. Some times I was offered a chance to empty a few containers full of 'soil' when my shift ended as they awaited chute time...

3) What ever you add to your bed will become the tomatos you eat so be very careful about "unknown" rock dust at re-use store as it could contain really bad stuff that you wouldn't want in your yard let alone in your veggies!!

4) Worms, worms, worms. Find them, add them, encourage them...they are the finest soil conditioners around but they won't be able to get in thru the landscape fabric on the bottom of bed I think. Also, mychorrizals will help
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1134830/ as well as the other things we probably both vagyly remember Alan Summers recommending on his Sat am radio show.

5) Plan to plant a fall 'cover crop' to dig in next Spring

So sorry you weren't able to preview your soil or squeeze a handful of it pre-purchase as I know how particular you have been about all the other details of this project. Bummer. I was wondering why you kept saying "topsoil" and I apologise for not speaking up sooner. Judy

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8542588

Buttoner--

I do not know, at this point what i would like to grow on the fence...Sorry!
All I can imagine are some HB's on a bracket hanging from the 4x4 posts
that hold up the fencing panels..Would be so decorative!

I am sure, eventually, I will want something growing on that fence...
Just finished all this today--have not had time to plan for anything else...

The main job, right now, will be amending the soil in this bed to my liking.
As it is now--great or not--it needs something "softer" and "Organic"
mineral. pebbles of some kind, maybe some "Rock Dust"...
Got to find some of these in the next few days...

My Tomatoes are stretching to Mars by now...Got to get them in the ground...
YES!!! I KNOW they will have to be planted in a trench and stems buried down..

At this time--it is time for some rest! Bed time!
It has been a long--hard day!
Gita

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8542617

Gita, we may have cross posted!

In any event, sweet dreams to us all and may we wake refreshed.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8542631

Judy-- cross-posted...

I will reply to all your suggestions though...

1--The clumps are not clay. They are just wet, heavy, dark soil..
NOT what I would have thought it would be...NOT saying it is bad!
Just wet and heavy and too solid...
Judy! Judy!!! There is NO way I could screen the soil I got!!
They said it was already screened and amended...
I think it was a sales "Promo'...It was dark, heavily organic (I think) soil,
in need of "lightening up"...

2--There is Nowhere i can get "spent" potting soil mix. I can get the pots the
plants grow in--but taking the soil home would be a No-No...
Also---We, the associates, cannot buy any of the broken bags...
Only the customers...Besides--we do not sell broken bags anyway.
I can go to Lowes and buy them--but not at the store I work in..

3--There has been sooo much discussion about "Rock Dust" on several Forumd now-
that I am all confused...I have NO idea of what it would do to my soil--except
provide some drainage...
I am just thinking of buying a couple of bags of "Vigoro" Pea Gravel--as it is NOT
uniformly round--but just little pieces of odd stones...No harm! I could just dig these in
for aeration/drainage purposes...Have to do something!

4--Judy! I swear! Any worms I ever dig up, accidentally, will be--immediately--
transported to my new bed...I have, already, decided on that...
IF I have to go to ACE and buy live worms (they sell them for the birds to eat???)
I will get some of those and toss them in...
Question: Will ANY worms do????? Or--only special ones????

5--I have NEVER planted a cover crop. Why should I????
I know the benefits of it----just not sure I should do it in a small bed in my yard...

Thank you, Friend--for all your sane questions and advice!!!

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8542974

DO NOT add two bags of pea gravel that will do NOTHING to help drain a whole bin of soil.

Why not call the supplier back and ask them to tell you something about how they mix it? Looks like it has humus added in some way. You say its not clay; I wonder if the texture seems really bad just because it has been mechanically handled and not left to natural processes. Does it smell like good dirt, or like compost?

DO NOT plant a hardy passion vine (sorry Buttoneer) it will send suckers all thru the bed in a year or two. I have one. Beautiful flower, great cover but suckers galore.

Rock Dust is for microminerals NOT drainage. You can get good microminerals with greensand available easily, would only need a small bag.

The structure and fence looks great, he did a great job there. Stop worrying now and enjoy the flippin thing!!!!!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8543186

Everything here has kinda slowed down with the cool nights we have been having. I thought for sure I would have a blast of blooms by now.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8543344

Your new bed looks great, love the fence behind it.

I saw some flowers on my peas!!!!! Hip-hip-hooray!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8553711

These bloomed today!

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8553728

One of my newspaper customers threw these out last fall and I "saved them" by planting them in a large planter. Any one know how well they may do in the planter? Otherwise, I've not had good luck with iris..

Here's a closeup of bloom.

Thumbnail by coleup

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8553741

Extreme close up...LOL

Info on growing Iris in containers from Scheiner's
Growing Iris In Pots

Iris can be successfully grown in pots. First, select a roomy pot. A 6" to 8" pot will work for Dwarf Iris; a 12" pot will work for Tall Bearded Iris. Make sure your pot has good drainage. For soil, we recommend 45% fir bark, 20% pumice, and 35% peat moss. Leave at least one inch below the pot's rim, and leave the top of the rhizome exposed. Water only when the top two inches of soil are dry. Overwatering will cause rot. Keep the pot outdoors during the winter. When bloom buds begin to appear in the fans, bring the pot inside and place in a bright sunny window. After bloom, be sure to divide your Iris and replant outside or into more pots.

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8553805

Dietes iridiodes blooming in the greenhouse. Love this flower. It's an African Iris I found in Florida years ago.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8554125

Nice save coleup.

Buttoneer- wow!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8555236

That sure is pretty Coleup. Even more special as you saved it. what a waste to have had it thrown out.
Buttoneer that is just beautiful Love that. How big does it get?
So yesterday was my day off work and I got a lot done.
I started out moving rocks and hauling dirt. I finally finished the back corner of this bed. There was a hugh Quince sucker turned small bush along the one side that I wanted out. I started digging it last night and finally had to ask Ric to get it out as it had a tap root to China. So yesterday morning I finished putting in the rock edge. Dug out the rest of the suckers, moved a couple of perennials, Variegated Solomon's Seal and Forget Me Nots. Added a couple of wheelbarrows full of compost.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8555241

I planted Begonias, Impatiens and a Diamond Frost Euphorbia. Put my little laughing Buddha out. Dug out a few plants for the swap while I was moving things around.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8555257

This bed is finished, I think it has been 2 years since I got the idea and expanded it more last year but actual area is now done. There will be the maintenance which will probably be an issue with the Quince suckers and I'm sure I will move a few plants around maybe add a couple. There is Ric's Laughing Buddha. I also got the living hosta wreath planted with annuals, added a few impatiens and dwarf begonias. It is laying in the bed so the new plants can root in.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8555267

Close up of one of the Heucheras, think it is called carmel. It is a big plant, much bigger than the other varieties I have growing in there.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8555277

Looks GREAT, Holly!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011

Post #8555278

When I got done I moved over to the walkway bed. Did a little weeding dug a few plants for the swaps. Ton's of tiny baby Hellebores and Astilbe in this bed. I fed the Azealeas and planted a replacement for one that died last winter. Very pleased to see my dwarf Rhodie is starting to bloom. Can't really see it in the pic as there aren't enough blooms open yet. This bed has filled in so nice in the last year I can hardly find spots to plant the impatiens.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8555289

Thanks Jen.
I worked this morning and came home to the back yard all ready to plant. Ric spent all morning adding compost to the back beds and tilling it in. Looks so nice and I don't even have the plants in yet. LOL I have 2 areas back there that I need to weed and plant also. I fed the Holly Hedge yesterday when I did the Azaleas. Going out back to work on something not sure what yet.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8555393

That bed really looks good, Holly.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8556097

Well! I have NOT been able to do a lot of anything in my garden--
I come home from work--having watered for 6-7 hrs. straight---
and my back is killing me from standing up all those hours--as well
as my right foot--with all the pain and problems I have had since October.

After I am done with my shift--I can barely walk...I feel like a cripple!
Holly--I am sure you can ID about all this by now...

Anyway--I have some lovelies blooming in my garden...

Here is one of my amazing Irises I saved from my old neighbor's yard
before the Pakistani man decided to dig up--kill-cut back everything, etc...
I could have saved more--BUT--I felt like I was stealing...so I just took some.
Left some...Stupid me! The house sat vacant for almost 2 years!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8556101

Here is one of my August Lily's leaves growing...There are 2 clumps here...
SO green! So crisp!!!! Nice plant!!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8556108

Here is a picture for those of you that do not know how amazingly well
the small foliage clumps of a seedling Digitalis can come through the winter...
These poor, wilted-looking little clumps just jump to life--and march on.

These are my neighbor's white ones...The clumps, by now, are HUGE!
Ready to spike and to bloom...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8556113

My Spanish Neighbors Columbine--that I have always collected seeds from...
i LOVE it!!! Nice colors...

Some of you may have p/u the seeds from this one att he Seed Swap.
Maybe in the "old seeds" category...Hope they grow for you!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8556138

Here is my BIG, white Azalea blooming it's head off...EVERY year at this time!
It is an old, tall one--have had it for many years,,,I have one on each front corner of my house.
I cut it back every year so I can walk past it--but it is a lost cause...It IS striking!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8556142

Here is a macro close-up of the blooms...
BTW--The leaves are a bit fuzzy on this variety...name?????

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8556169

Here are the broken off sections of this "Stonecrop "Angelina"
we have at work for sale...It is SO fragile! Just like a Burro's tail"...
I was cleaning up the trays and thought--HMMMM????
Why not save all these broken off sections and see if I can root them????

Potted them up--and they seem to be doing just great! Don't wantt o tug too hard yet..
This is one of the plants I will bring to the Swap---with the understanding that---
these may still need some time to finish rooting...I have lots!

I will take a picture of the whole plant at work--IF they still have any. It is very nice!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8556185

My Blue "Wood Hyacinth" aka--"Spanish Bluebells"...blooming...
I also have pink and white...They multiply so fast!!!

They just come up anywhere!!! HOW??? I do not know--as they grow from bulbs...
I mean--like in between my Sea Oats...amid other bulbs----something is spreading them!!!
Could the culprits be birds and the seeds???? DAH!

And--when you go to dig them up--the 1" bulbs are really deep down...How do they get there???

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8556202

NOW...A MYSTERY QUESTION. WHAT IS THIS PLANT?????

It has been now growing in my YUK bed for 2 years...It is robust and sturdy.
The stem is reddish,,,The leaves are stiff and come straight out fro the stem...

One of the stems from last year was bent--semi-broken---but the plant marches on...

Can anyone ID this???? If it is a weed--it will be GONE i a minute!!!

Here is the first picture of it...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8556210

Another----

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8556215

And--another...

I am, mostly, just waiting to see if it blooms or---something...
Never seen this before...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8556242

Last one---

Here are some African Violets growing that I started from a single leaf...
SO easy to do!!!! One AV leaf stem in a Small pot with moist growing medium.
Clear, plastic glass fitted on top of it--(the Venus Flytrap glass/top works perfect!)
Make it tight--like a mini-GH. No need to water,,,

I can still keep them under my grow-lights...as I have a few more
seedling-stragglers germinating and growing...I think they thrive in these conditions...

Wrong picture!

This message was edited May 11, 2011 6:23 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8556275

Here is the right one--of the AV's growing from leaf-cuttings...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8556556

Gita, your mystery plant looks like a kind of euphorbia

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_rWksMjEBTQk/Sa1MnN9loUI/AAAAAAAAKOY/GREBGX7ONfE/leo-mic-Euphorbia-lathyris-887.jpg

If broken sap should be milky white...might be moleplant aka gopher spurge

The sap is toxic and will burn your skin and eyes. Here's a plant files link for gopher spurge

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55261/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8556790

Gita if that Angelina is the lime green one, I'd like some more. I have a tiny bit from someone at previous swap. And I do have one of those red columbine! Thanky!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8556876

I started seeds from gopher purge many years ago. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig mistake. We keep finding more & round them up.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8557170

Judy--

Both of the pictures in the links look like my plant.

i DID NOT plant it! It was already there, growing, last summer...but small.

Should I get rid of it?

Sally--
I will take my camera to work Sunday and take a picture of the "Angelina'.
Hope they are still there...There was only 4 pots left Tuesday.
I think I would call it lime green--with the tips a nit yellowish--as if slightly
sun burned...

Buttoneer----
I never heard of Gopher Spurge...If you look at Judy's links--they sure look the same...

Is there any other way to ID this?

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8557179

Get an opinion from the ID forum here- ?
Don't worry with a picture, just bring me one of your pots, I trust ya.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8557237

Sally--

Just took a picture of the tag for you...

Here!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8557367

I bought some of that. I even have a multi colored one. It is suppose to be a great ground cover.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8558065

Thank Gg!
The little bit I have is a great contrast to the blue-toned creeper that I have more of.

Mucho Iris action here, and I planted zinnia and butter daisy seeds in the veg garden to pretty it up.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8571696

The Clematis I planted last year is blooming. Love this colorful little bed.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8572228

I bought two new Clematis last year----
They were under the "Estonian Clematis" category...

Of course--You may all know that my EX is Estonian--and we spent 25 years involved
in this Ethnic lifestyle...To the hilt!!!!

The small Clematis I got is called "Piilu"--(Little Duckling) and it is growing well...
The other one was "Lady...something...and the blooms are spectacular and large...

Here is the picture of the "Piilu" from last year.
It has buds--but has not bloomed yet this Spring...It is small--in size and in bloom---
and can tolerate part shade...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8572232

The other one was "Lady---somethng-----" and is a lg. flowering Clematis...
Color is medium Lavender...

She is blooming already for this year...SOOO pretty!!!!
Has a lot more blooms on it by now than in this picture...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8572384

Tried to take some more pictures tonight--but everything is rain-soaked...

Here are more blooms of the "Lady---whatever"...Clematis

Can't find my Order Form to see the name...
I DO remember that it was still under the "Estonian Clematis" page...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8572385

My Knock-Out Rose starting her blooming for the season...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8572391

My neighbor's amazing white and purple Foxgloves...

She never comes to this side of her house---so I consider it part of MY garden...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8572394

Here is HER Columbine I live! And I have seeds from it...
I should dump my "Winky" Columbines ans let these grow...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8572399

Here is my neighbor's White Foxgloves growing majestically...
From a puny clump from the fall before--to this amazing plant--soon to bloom.

What an amazing plant!!!!! Such hardiness...

I will have small, pink starts of my Foxglove at the Swap...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8572403

My favorite Iris in bloom.
Of course--it is getting beat up by all the rains we are having...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8572410

A close-up of my "Winky Pink" Columbines...NOT the average looking one...Dainty!

i have many seedlings of this dug up I will bring to the Swap...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8572641

Here's my knockyoursocks off variegated Lily of the Valley. Yumyum.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8572646

My Variegated Dogwood, picture taken at night, in between mosquitoes.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8572769

The flowers of the variegated dogwood are very tiny but very fragrant.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8572773

Variegated Rose of Sharon. Such pretty leaves.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8573012

Beautiful, both of you!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8573017

Love that bed Holly

Looking good Gita

Wow did not know there was a varigated rose of sharon

Must have slipped my mind...these are TBI, I thought I had bought Intermediate
'Mastery'

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8573021

Victoria Falls

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011

Post #8573027

Tempting Fate

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8573036

Sibs

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8573055

Beautiful, Jen! I have a sib like that, with the red things on the stems.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8574640

My first bloom on my climbing rose this year. I have more buds showing up. Last year I had only one bloom.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8574644

Roses, clems and Dianthias. I have to say, I have been trying to decide what color to stain the deck, but looking at that trellis , I kinda like that color.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8574692

I like that trellis color I bought a short border type fence to keep Wall-e out of the one garden and it's the same color. I need to get a pic of it.

1st rose here

Thumbnail by flowAjen

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8574725

The bush in the back is called scotch broom. It is actually an evergreen.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8574938

Love the Iris. Marie, what's the name of your climbing pink rose? Thanks.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8575032

Another yay vote for the trellis color.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
3:51 AM

Post #8575191

What beautiful flowers you all have.
Buttoneer, I have never seen variegated Lily of the Valley. You are so good at finding unusual plants.
Gita, Love that Piilu Clem.
Jen I should take pics like that of my iris, I can never remember which ones I have.
Marie Beautiful gardens. I like the trellis color, too.
The azaleas are still putting on a show but I don't expect them to last much longer.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8575195

I don't remember what the name was. I bought 2 from Walmart around 3 years ago. My azaleas are winding down. The white ones here bloom last so they are still looking good.
Here is a pic of one of the iris's I ordered from the Market place last year.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8575360

My azalea is long done, at least a week
marie, thats gorgeous. I'm really in love with the iris this year.
I was looking at a website for historic iris, called HIPS. I warn you, do not think you'll make a wish list because you'll end up writing "one of each'
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8575874

I went out this morning and half the blooms are on the ground. The rain pretty much did them in.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8575935

Mine too, Holly! What a shame!
I know they had a few more good days left in them!

I would love to know how many cups (NOT inches) of rain this area got yesterday!
NEVER have I seen such a flooding, hard rain, with small hale mixed in, in my life!

There were "rivers" of water flowing through my patio---
My dysfunctional gutters on the house--just gushing over! Water streaming straight down!
Half of my back yard was a shallow pond...
We had TWO such downpours yesterday! Short break in between...

I went out and tried to take pictures--w/o a flash---which slows down the shutter speed---
and most of them are a big blur.

Will pick one of the more acceptable ones here.

Not that you can tell--but this is one of the pots (with nothing in it yet--thank God!)
at the post of my patio. The gutters above were useless--the water was coming down
in a sheet and just flooding in this pot. It is still full of water as I write this...

Looking forward to seeing you both! Gita

PS! Rick gets to pig out on more of my Potato salad...:o)

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8575939

Here is the front of my house.

The gutters are just overflowing...Can't see it in this picture--but the water
was just running over the length of the gutter...

This poor HB of Swedish Ivy was like a spillway---flowing over!

SO????? Will the World end tomorrow at 6PM??????

We sure have had the flooding going on! No Ark in sight!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8576319

We have had some hard rains over here too. Here is a picture of my back yard when we forget to plug in the sum pump.It goes all the way across my yard and into the woods. There is a fish pond under that water...lol

Thumbnail by marie_kap

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8576401

Holy moley you two. We missed those downpours

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8576402

Marie----

I sympathies with you!

Mother nature has NOT been kind to the world this summer...
Still--I do not think the World will end tomorrow at 6PM...

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8576418

Sally--You are NOT that far from me!!!! How could you miss the Monsoon rains we just had---yesterday?????

Driving North on Rt. #40 from Rossville Blvd.--I was, like, gpoing in and out from under these gray
rain clouds...Just seems it is ALWAYS worst over Perry Hall...
I can see it in the clouds driving home from work..

However--yesterday was totally insane!!!! Scary!!!! Gallons and gallons of rain falling down before my eyes!
Would have been interesting to put out a 5gal. bucket on my lawn and see how deep the water was...
I bet it would have been about 10"-12"...

I am all loaded up and ready to go! Hope to get to your place as close to 9AM as I can.
Going in the direction of "rush hour"-----that won't help.

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8576432

Gita and Sally Early this morning Channel 2 News had a viewer sent in picture of a funnel cloud over Glen Burnie!!! Yipes.

Evidently we are going to have a pretty active hurricane season this year, Virginis is setting up a week free of stste sales tax for people to stock up on emergency preparedness supplies like batteries, etc. Wonder if Maryland will follow suit?

It is truly amazine how much water can fall from the sky!

I wonder how airplanes can fly thru clouds loaded with that much moisture...

keep your powder dry y'all

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8576462

Oh crud! Marie that is ALOT of water...will your fish try to swim out?
Hubby was on his way to conference in Lancaster County and they thought they saw a tornado in the distance.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8576487

oops, rained out

This message was edited May 20, 2011 7:42 PM

Thumbnail by coleup

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8576607

Jen, He may have there was one in the area the other day. It would have been generally in the Lancaster area.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8576655

Here's my wildflower garden that I turned into another perennial bed filled with dayliles, iris, sedum, penstemon, the rudbeckia is the only survivor of the wildflowers because it self sowed

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8576663

Aquilegia with sibs in back

Thumbnail by flowAjen

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8576684

My regular azaleas are all done here butmy "late blooming" ones are just starting.Here's one

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8576692

and a late blooming bi-color azalea;

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8576704

The Knockout Roses really seem to be putting on a show in this cooler/less sunny weather

Thumbnail by coleup

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8577055

Is that Aquilegia a Columbine? That is so pretty.

On Thrusday my husband said that they had a down pour in Clementin, and my boss said the same in Mayslanding. Here in the middle I heard the thunder but we only had on and off rain.
I have driven into a wall of hard rain before and then it was dry.

Have you seen those tall orange Azalea's they have at the nursery's.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8577885

Yes Aquilegia common name is Columbine
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8578239

Just got settled in after unloading from Aspenhill's Swap. Wow does she have a beautiful property. Her home and gardens are just lovely. We all had a great time and got wonderful plants. Ric and I have our GS JR this weekend and he had a great time swimming in her lake. He didn't care a bit that the water was very cold. One of her neighbors was there with her GS the same age as JR and they both had a great time. Between last weeks swap and this weeks swap I have some great new plants for my gardens.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8578608

Not sure which Iris this is but I love it.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8578609

This is an Allium that is very pretty & dainty.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8578614

I think this is Baptisia Prairie blue or Twilight Blue, can't remember.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8578615

Baptisia australis, which is getting larger & larger every year.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8578621

Golden Groundsel, not enhanced.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8578622

More Golden Groundsel

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8578623

Heuchera Green Spice. I love this Heuchera so much. The leaves are exquisite.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8578626

Looking great!

That is one cool looking heuchera, looks like a Brunnera
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8578627

Korean Violet. This one is not from this country, but is tiny, low to the ground, tiny pink flowers but I like it for the leaves much better.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011

Post #8578629

Variegated Solomon's Seal

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8578630

Miniature Hosta. See my finger there for comparison.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8578631

Miniature Solomon's Seal with finger there for comparison

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8578633

This miniature spreads much more rapidly than the miniature hosta.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8582498

Mock Orange in bloom.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8582510

Side front yard. roses are starting along with the mock orange. I even found my Hardy Hibiscus coming up.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8582511

Ric is working on the base for the Arbor that will go at the entrance of the Veggie Garden. A landscape timber and brick pad. He has the Arbor half built. Then there will be the walk down thru the Veggie Garden to the GH. I just got done staining the landscaping timbers and it is thundering so I am sure it will rain on my still wet boards.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011

Post #8582522

Yes I think rain is on the way, I got a shot at getting the grass cut and some flower bed work done today before it hit.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8582583

I love the scent of mockorange.
LOL Holly, ds said he be happy to trim bushes for me, but tomorrow, as rain is threatening- CONVENIENTLY!! lol
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8582853

I am pretty sure I got a Mock Orange at one of the swaps. If not I have a friend rooting one for me.
Well most of the rain missed us. We just got a light sprinkle and Ric and I worked thru it. I started gathering things up while Ric laid his bricks. The light rain stopped before we did. Not finished Ric has to cut bricks to fit and add a bit of sand. In this pic you can see the little variegated box woods that will make a short hedge along this end of the Veggie Garden. Doesn't look like much yet but it is coming along. The Arbor Ric is building to sit on this slab is built from wood he salvaged from an old garage that had been a carriage house in it's day. He wants a solid roof over it so I picked up some cedar shakes. I think it will look great when he finishes.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8582872

Here is a pic of the whole Veggie Garden area and the corral below. The whole area is a real mess right now. Ric knocked some beds together so he could get a few veggies started. You can get an idea of the layout. The arbor will sit on the bricks at the upper end of the Veggie Garden the GH will be where that stone area with the water hydrant is. A brick walk will run down from the Arbor to the GH with Veggie Garden on each side.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011

Post #8582885

That will look real nice when you are done. I want to do some kind of path my self, just have not decided what kind.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2011

Post #8582887

Phew! It will be even more awesome than it already is, we loved your yard when we swapped there.

I've been finding and making places for swap plants for two days. Minus one- the blue woodruff that I grew from seed and shared with greenthumb, turns out to be rabbit candy. I left two litle pots in the garden last nightm they got eatne already!. Scratch that one off the list!

I made two nice Sedum pots for the steps with Sedum cutting from Bec. While cleaning one used pot I found a tiny tiny Semp arachnoideum- unmistakeable webbing- havne't had that plant for two years!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8583044

Holly , sorry I forgot to tell you but the tropical Dietes iridiodes African Iris doesn't get any larger than its American cousins. The leaves are skinny and each division has two fans. If you want one and I can divide it, let me know. Anybody want to take a trip to the Mennonite lady in Lancaster county who has the rare & unusual plants (variegated lily of the valley, variegated rose of sharon, hardy banana basjoo, let me know. Maybe we can make a day of it. Black Creek Nursery has tons of plants and ones not found in our county. We can eat at the Shady Maple Restaurant that has two huge food bars and a dessert bar you won't believe. They even have lots of sugar free deserts. Holly has probably been there. If anybody is interested, I can start a new thread. Thank you. And thanks for the compliments on the plants. I do love the wierd & unusual. Not Bob, just the plants. LOL.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8583377

Love that side yard Marie.
Can't wait to see the results, Holly

My neighbor has some baby mock orange growing he said I can come over and dig some up.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8583884

Buttoneer- that sounds fun. Anyone else?

Jen can you sniff the parent mockorange? Some say the new cultivars don't smell as good as old ones.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8584089

I'll do that Sally, thanks for the info
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8584394

Judy, LOL on the not Bob just the weird & unusual plants. LOL

Worked this morning and will be heading out to the gardens soon.
Ric is down in the corral working on the Arbor. Say's he might have it done today. Can't wait to see it. What is done looks great.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8584421

It's so muggy out there today!

Mini roses

Thumbnail by flowAjen

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8584465

Oh talk about Roses. I bought a new one last week. It is called Hot Cocoa

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8584468

Ooooo, pretty!

I have another one, it's a noid

Thumbnail by flowAjen

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8584488

Love that soft pink color.
How a bout a Clem. I have this one planted on the split rail fence out front with a White Dawn Rose. The rose isn't doing very well. They seem to be having a hard time getting started and they have been there for a couple of years now. You would think they would be well established by now. It is close to the parking area maybe too much road salt or something related to the parking area. The clem is doing great though. Hard to get the exact color it is more of a dark purple with red.
Dr. Ruppel

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8584495

So pretty, I need more clems!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8584497

You're gonna love Hot Cocoa, Holly. Especially after a year or two.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8584507

jen i would not want you to be disappointed later
Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 25, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8586414

Holly, I bought Hot Cocoa after I swore I wouldn't buy any more roses. I love that color. I would like to move Golden Celebration next to it but I'm afraid I might kill it.
Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 25, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8586475

Holly and Gitagal, you have a nice projects going on there. What great places to plant!
Marie, you have a beautiful yard.
Buttoneer, we seem to have similar taste in plants.
Coleup - that bicolor azalea is very pretty. Do you know the name?
Jen, I am coveting that Frosted Mouse Ears.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8586921

I took some pictures of my garden the other day.
This and that is looking really pretty...

My Roses are blooming! ONLY the first flush of blooms is worth looking at!
Then the blackspot hits--and the leaves fall off and there is NO energy for
the Rose to put out another flush...

In October--they really try--on bare stems, now defoliated...no leaves...

OK! As always--my favorite Rose--that never disappoints me---

"Sweet Surrender"..

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8586924

My Knock Out Rose...Doing just fine by the sunny corner of my shed...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8586926

My blue, two-tone Iris---
They did get a bit beaten up by the heavy rains we had...

Don't know the name of this one--but could look it up.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8586929

My all purple iris...This bloomed a bit later than the pale blue ones...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8586934

My Clematis I purchased last year----
Need to find the bill of sale to get the name...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8586937

Staying with the blues...My Wood Hyacynths blooms. aka "Spanish Bluebells"...

They are now done--and busy making seed pods...
I have whites and pink ones too...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8586939

My oldest Peony I own.
Huge, white blooms--tinged with a bit of red in the "throat" of the flower...

These also got beaten down by the rains...Bummer!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8586945

Two Foxgloves---side-by-side...from my neighbor's bed--but I planted these there...
She had this amazing white Foxglove--i tried planting some of her seedlings
in my bed--and some of mine in hers.. Seems to have worked!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8586950

Here are the paler ping Foxgloves...My favorites!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8586956

This is Rhodo I gave you, Terri.

It was just sooo amazing...Like powder puffs!

Hope it grows and blooms for you for a long time!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8586958

My "Multi Blue" Clematis--and my white Azalea...

Both are spectacular ONLY in the spring...:o(

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8586963

This is a small, old Azalea that lives happily in my small, old front bed...

It is many years old--but never grows much bigger/taller...
Very pretty blooms!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8586968

And, lastly--the Brugmanmsia that I thought died...

Then--I cut off the totally dead top--and the fat stem started putting out
all this new growth.
It is my older Dr. Seuss...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8586981

OOPS!!! A couple More...

This is the Pink Evening Primrose--in my YUK bed...
Fighting to exist--but still puts out a few blooms every Spring...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8586983

This is my neighbor's beautiful Columbine...

I had many seeds from this at the Seed Swap---some labeled as "OLD"...

IF they grow for you--this is what they will look like...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8587155

Very nice. I like them all. I have luck with columbines also. My purple ones, that I assume are generic, reseed every where. I have not had much luck with the fancy ones reseeding.
My poor Peonies look the same way. It never fails, when they bloom we get a hard rain and they droop.
This pic is of one I transplanted a few years ago amongst the day lilies. I dont have that much blooming now. We have been so cloudy.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8587182

Marie--

I have four peonies the same color--all struggling, as one is in too much shade,.
Two of them are right under my forever overflowing gutter, The water just comes down
in streams--and has eroded the bed in a straight line right down the middle---
right where these 2 Peonies are...I will have to dig them up--but have no where
else to plant them...:o( The bane of my gardening life...

The fourth is in my YUK bed--4' from my . huge Silver maple...
My "YUK" bed is so called b/c it is solidly full of Maple roots--yet many things have survived there...

I know I had a good picture--but cannot find it at this time...Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8587198

Go back to May 11th where I posted my Mystery Plant...

It now has branched out on top with some odd formations...
Can't call them "blooms"--as there are none...There are odd, triangular-looking
growths--which seem to hold a seed pod in the center...and an minute yellowish
bloom of some kind...

Asking again--if anyone can ID this?????

If NOT--I will post these on the "Plant ID Forum"...

Here is the top as it looks now.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8587207

Macro close-up of the top--what appears to be a seed pod in the middle--
and the minute, yellow bloom...

What is this?????? Greenthumb--maybe you know?????
Put your Master Gardener brain to use here...

I don't want to have this spreading around. Will yank it up in a flash--GONE!!!!

Thanks--Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8587234

What makes some get blooms that are so tall and fall over?
The one I have in more sun the blooms are more even with the rest of the plant.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8587601

Loretta, the bicolor late blooming azalea I posted is called "Marthe Hitchcock" It it a Glenn Dale hybrid and featured at the National Arboretum

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/collections/azaleablossom_2011.html#May20

Thumbnail by coleup

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8587984

Curious plant, Gita. Did it self sow?

Thank you Coleup.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8588029

Because this bed has such a hodge-podge of "stuff" growing everywhere in this bed
--it is hard to say. All kinds of low, matted, odd things...Hard to tell the "real" plants.

--I will guess that I first remember seeing it in spring of 2008 as a small. ground-hugging plant.
However--the leaves were very much like it is now--kind of in a rosette.
--In 2009 it grew on 2 tall, reddish stems--one of which bent over and never straightened up.
--Last summer (2010) it just seemed to gather a bit of mass...getting some "oomph" now...
--This spring--it started growing more stems, That is what you can see in the 1st pictures
I posted om 5/11. Also--you can see the reddish stem is still bent. Obviously, NOT broken.

Now--it is growing the funny things on top. Will keep track of it.

I did post on the ID Forum. Waiting to hear back...Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8588103

WOW!!!!! It was ID's as a "Mole Plant" or "Gopher Spurge"...
Euphorbia lathyris. VERY interesting...

Someone even sells seeds to this plant!

Here's the link to the Plant ID forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1184444/#new

Within this link--there are other links given--with pictures, information,
articles, etc...Scientific studies, discussions as to whether it is invasive, etc...

I have to read up more on the provided links.
Don't have time right now...

Gita
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8588174

Holy cow,. does it really keep moles away. I could use that plant...lol
The sap from that plant is like the sap from my pencil cactus.It will give the same results if gotten on the skin, or if in the eyes it can blind you for a few hours.
Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8588222

I've had seeds for that for years but never tried to grow it.
Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8588236

Let's see...we got the weigelas blooming...

This message was edited May 26, 2011 10:07 AM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8588240

baptisia carolina moonlight

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8588243

irises

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8588246

Hellebores are finishing. Didn't notice that snail on my hostas.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8588247

Strawberry begonias are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8588250

Columbine - this was suppose to be Dove.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8588253

Here is Ida Red from one of Mamajack's Coops last season. A few others opened but I missed them because of all the rain we had.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8588255

This cute little geranium I got on clearance last fall. I also bought Rozanne but I don't see it anywhere in the garden. That is disappointing.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8588257

Some viburnums are still going. This is Onondaga.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8588265

Heuchera

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8588295

Beautiful pic's everyone.
Gita, You just gotta love that Plant ID Forum.
Ric is working on the Arbor again.
I am heading out to plant some more. Think I will see about digging out a few pots. Maybe get the Caladiums started and the EE's in the ground I have been running late getting those started. I think my Peony is looking pretty nice. It is the only one I have maybe I can find a few others in different colors.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8588306

Loretta, Love that peach iris. Did I get a peach iris from you?
Here is a close up of the Peony.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8588328

Holly---We cross-Poster...:o)

OK! Everyone dig up a rooted division of their Peonies for Holly...
August is THE time to dig Peonies...transplant or move them..
As a rule--Peonies do not like to be moved--but one just has to--sometimes...

Just in time for the Fall Swap...Dig gently--and considerately!

Later today--I will come back and read up on the Mole Plant...

Sally!!! YoooHooo!!!!! You sure could use this in the back of your
mushy, Mole-infested garden. Right?
There was a large picture of this plant in one of the links----It looked almost Pretty...

NOW--it is noon already--and I have not done a darn thing in my garden...
Rain is coming (DAH!)--so don't know how much I will get done...

Went o 2 grocery stores and am on my second load of laundry...

Have to make a triple recipe of Seafood Pasta salad for Monday's Cook Out
at the HD. Needed some ingredients...

All departments take turns to be responsible for these all day Cook Outs on Holiday
Weekends...This one is up to the "Front End"'s turn...

Service desk
Head Cashiers
Cashiers
Returns
Phone Center--only MOI--and rarely nowadays...
Lead Generator (one)
Lot Attendants and Loaders (3 guys)

OK! Rest time is over...Need to pot up the 10" Hibiscus I just bought.
They are on sale this week for $9.98. Reg. $17.97

Did I go off-topic again???????? Sorry! Gita

This message was edited May 26, 2011 11:02 AM
Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 26, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8588343

Holly, I didn't bring any irises. They aren't big enough to split yet. Do you think it's peach? I thought it was yellow and mustard. This either came with my house or someone gave it to me as an extra. I never bought it.

That is a beautiful peony and I love the surrounding rocks!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8588353

From the many links---enlarge this one and you will see this plant in a more mature size...

Rather pretty! Gita

http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/10500/
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8588499

I think the pic looks peachie but you know how cameras can be the color isn't always quite true. Beautiful either way.
Just got done potting up my Astilbe. I planted some at my Parents & some at Jens. Just not sure where I will put the rest so I potted them up for now.
Gita, Looks like you could make a few $$ with that plant. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8588638

Well, I'll try to keep my hands off my Peony till August- AND try not to fill in its intended spot before then also! I need to lift mine an see if replanting with more care t9o the planting depth, in a slightly brighter sdpot, will make it bloom. It white like Gita's.

Yup Gita always tours my garden and we sink into the mole tunnels back by my far corner LOL. I have a different Euphorbia from hart, maybe I should move that there. I also have Holly's red Castor Bean plant back there this year, two of them from seed, looking good.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8588993

Sally---

Now that you have many links and articles to read to this "Mystery Plant"----
I can see an article coming...Why NOT? While all this is fresh in your mind.
You could tie it in, nicely, to your own Mole problems...

This guy Nick--the bio-scientist--with all the reference links--who seems to know
all about it would be a great source...

Of course--you can always use any photos of mine. You know that...

Now I have to traipse through all the links provided and copy them in Word
and save this information...After all---I HAVE this plant!!!!

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8589048

Here is the PF link to this plant. Someone posted it.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55261/

Make sure you go "down under" and read all the member comments.

Scary!!!!!!! I am getting rid of this plant while it is still young.

The story about the white latex-like sap exploding when the plant was cut
and spraying the gardener in the face and eyes--sure sounds very serious.

I will wear gloves, eye protection--and long sleeves...

Mystery solved----and the culprit will be hacked!!!!!

Phew!!! Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8589066

Now! On to nicer things...

This is my "Monkshood" plant. Have had it for many years...
This photo is, actually, of two of the long-stemmed sections I dug up and moved here 3 years ago.

Every year--it grows healthy as can be--and then, close to Fall, it starts
rotting out at the roots. Don't know why! The blooms come so late--but they are pretty.
I am lucky if I see one or two blooms of this any given year...

Perhaps I should spray it regularly with some kind of a Fungicide on the roots?

I hear this plant is also very toxic IF ingested...Seems there are SO many!!!!

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8589071

Here is a picture from October 2009 of its blooms...Sp deep blue!

You can also see one of the dead stems here--due to this root fungus---whatever...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8591728

Gita,
Maybe you ought to spray the leaves on the plant and even partially dig out the roots & do the same with a fungicide spray?

This message was edited May 27, 2011 9:03 PM
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8591734

Gita, that Gopher Spurge (we call it Gopher Purge) is the exact same plant I am still spraying with Roundup, every time we see one popup from seeds we missed. Absolutely difficult to eradicate and not very pretty, either.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8591767

Here is the link to the Lancaster County Mennonite Nursery Trip, finally getting it organized.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1185070/
Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 27, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8592103

Buttoneer, I put a watch on that Lancaster thread but it is a pretty far drive for me. Sounds great though. I have that lily of the valley you pictured. I'm waiting for it to spread but it is taking its sweet time.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8592384

Buttoneer--

I already cut off all the tops of the Mole Plant. Still need to dig out the roots.
It was just one plant--so not too hard...

Re the "Monkshood"
When I was spraying my Roses early in the Spring with Lime Sulphur, I gave the
Monkshood roots a spray as well. Will try to use some other fungicide again--
thanks for the reminder...
I have it in 2 places...

Sent Sally a D-mail re the Lancaster trip...Gita
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8593557

Can someone tell me what this is? It came up all in the front flower bed, I guess from seed. I do not remember planting it last year. The flower looks like a butter cup when it is fully open, but the stem is at least a foot to 16 inches tall.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8593561

Sedium ground cover in bloom.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8593576

My new hydrangea. I will have to look up the name , I forgot what it was.
They called it Cityline Paris.

This message was edited May 28, 2011 9:13 PM

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 29, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8594618

Marie - that looks like evening primrose - Oenothera fruticosa.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8594758

Agreed with Loretta. Its perennial and won't rebloom this year. but will spread with runners
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8595184

Marie-kap,

That plant looks a lot like my Ranunculus (buttercup). My plants get to be two feet tall (when the deer don't prune them back). I've attached a photo from last year since mine isn't blooming yet.

Your stonecrop is spectacular and I love the bunny. I was wondering if you have any problems with deer. Do they eat the stonecrop? I'm looking for a nice groundcover that will survive heavy deer populations.

Thanks,
Kathy

Thumbnail by Penannophia

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8595441

wmf8vm, mine are rounded on the edges, and it is in single stalks not runners. I have pulled them up one by one and planted them elsewhere .

The ground cover , well so far I have not seen anything that has eaten it. in fact I almost wish something would. It spreads so much and you cant kill it. Pull it up and drop it somewhere and it will grow...lol

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8595461

Marie---

I agree with Loretta...It looks like the yellow Evening Primrose...
I used to have this eons ago--so pretty! However--it multiplies rather quickly.
Lots of new off-shoots to share...

Your Hydrangea--it might be the Endless Summer Hydrangea...
I have one--it is lovely! Blooms heavily in the spring--and then, off and on,
during the rest of the summer...

Trim back in LATE fall to shape the bush as you like. When it has gone dormant.
DO NOT trim back in the Spring--as you will be cutting off that season's flower buds...

To change color to BLUE--feed with all kinds of acid fertilizers.
Coffee grinds---Holy Tone--Soil Acidifiers--etc...
To keep it at pink--do not. Alkaline feeding will keep it pink...Bulb food, Bone meal, ashes, etc...

Gita
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8595488

I dont think its a primrose. They say that they get 4 to 5 ft tall. this one is only about 12 to 16 inches, it look almost like a phlox by the leaf and stem formation, and the blooms form like a phlox.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8595523

Marie--

That would describe the Evening primrose that I had years and years ago.

I know there is another one--a pink one...which is semi-invasive and a ground-hugger...
The blooms look pretty and delicate--but the plant is far from delicate...

Here is a picture of the pink one...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8595588

Almost but still not it. here's a better picture

Thumbnail by marie_kap

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8595597

And here is the rest of them in the flower bed.
It survived the voles this winter, so I plan on keeping them what ever they are, not much else made besides the salvia.

This message was edited May 29, 2011 9:33 PM

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8596037

Marie, you might want to look into the Ranunculus a little bit. Most of the varieties (there are 600 species) have rounded petals. Mine are on single stalks that get to 18" - 20". Ranunculus also have "claw-like" tubers. You might get a better idea once the seed head forms too...Wikipedia has a photo of what one variety looks like. Some of the varieties are native so that might explain their mysterious appearance in your bed.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8596231

marie, your yellow flower is unmistakeably the cultivated Evening Primrose, much shorter than the wild yellow one also called E P. species fruticosa on this list from Plantfiles
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=evening+primrose&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

wm your Ranunculus sure looks different from any I know, but I really only know one Ranunculus, a wild buttercup. To me your photo looks like this Lysimachia
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1126/
or maybe you selected the wrong photo to post?

This message was edited May 30, 2011 7:46 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8596240

That yellow sedum, aka Graveyard moss- I've never seen anything eat it and yes it goes everywhere. But I have no deer problem.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8596288

Sallyg, that is it. Thank you .

Now comes the question as where in the world did it come from?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8596319

A little rosette of O. fruticosa could easily sneak into some plants dug from someone else's garden. When not in boom they retreat to little rosettes with underground parts that roam out sideways and pop up.
I guess they can self seed too since I know the wild ones can, and do, in my yard.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8596342

That has to be it. It had to come from another plant that I planted last year. Well at least the voles dont like it, it came back strong.
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8596413

Wow, Sallyg, I think you are 100% right. That certainly looks like my plant. I received it in a trade a couple of years ago and was told it was Ranunculus. I guess you don't always know what you are getting with a trade. Thanks

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8597246

Dianthus, coreopsis and scabiosa

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8597249

Sweet William

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8597251

Jethro Tull Coreopsis

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8597834

wmf- I hate to 'correct' people but i am a precise person. Thanks for not being offended! I've been known to make mistakes with swaps and to take unlabeled plants and lose names in the excitement.

Jen, beautiful!
Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 30, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8597959

Jen, I'm loving that white dianthus!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8597970

Thanks Sally

the dianthus smells WONDERFUL
Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ

May 30, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8598403

Really. Do you know what kind it is?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8598439

Itsaul white

got it from Bluestone
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/DIIWS.html

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8602118

HEEEEY?????

Did any of you also have a hard time accessing DG yesterday (Tuesday)?????

I tried and tried--and kept getting this message:
"The website you are trying to access is not available"...

I re-started my "C"----nothing!
I pushed "THE" button...nothing!

Gave up, as I had to be at work at 8AM...
Right now---Wed. evening--all is OK!

Just wondering...

I took a few new pictures around here--but will not have time to upload and share...
I am pooped!!!! Did 6 more hours of non-stop watering at work--in this heat--
takes a lot out of me! Foot and back hurting---and, now, also my left hip.

Is AGE finally assaulting me????? Now it is--my foot--my knees--my back and my hip!
Or--maybe at MY age--I should not be asked to do all this! Yeah, right!!!!

NO age-discrimination at HD!!!!!! Can be GOOD! Can be BAD!...

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8602393

Lets continue our garden doings over here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1186435/

Thumbnail by coleup

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America