Photo by Melody

Article: Keep Your Feline Frisky! Feed Them Fresh Garden Greens: Now I see why I couldn't find cat grass

Communities > Forums > Article: Keep Your Feline Frisky! Feed Them Fresh Garden Greens
bookmark
Forum: Article: Keep Your Feline Frisky! Feed Them Fresh Garden GreensReplies: 5, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8524044

reading your article made me realize I s/h been looking for wheat, rye, oat or barley seed. Frustrated at not finding the elusive cat grass, I settled for catnip. The seeds I sowed in a pot are just sprouting. I hope it doesn't make my sweet, easygoing kitty aggressive. Glad this article was rerun, lots of good info.

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9098025

I bought a kit fo rgrowing Oat grass in the pet store and it grew, but the cats wouldn't have anything to do with it. She had eaten half of a large Spider Plant already. The dog grabbed the grass out of the bowl and ran threw the house with it. Out it went. So much for grass. My sister gave me a plant of cat nip. I will try that.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9098522

update. My darling kitty never even looked at the catnip I planted for him. He does like my pennisetum "Fireworks" and daylily foliage. I don't mind him chewing on them but if I remember I will spray a dog/cat repellent on the plant. They have capsicum in the formula and I guess that is what keeps them away. Effective but must be done every 15 days until pet loses interest.

Kozmo, resting under an angel trumpet.

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sunflower1888
Manassas, VA

May 9, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9117401

Vossner, cat grass seeds are readily available at big box pet stores and online on ebay and Amazon. My ginger tabby LOVES her kitty greens and gets so excited when she sees me coming with a fresh pot.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9117475

Want to tell you this for those of you who have had the problem I did with my cats digging in my houseplants to do their thing. My friend said "well, what was it you put on your hands that Hobo didn't like? Why don't you put some of that on cotton balls and put them in your plants?" So, I did, figured it couldn't hurt, it was Jergens hand lotion. So, I took some cotton balls and just smeared a bit on each one and placed them in some of the pots.

Well, the cats haven't been in there since. Now that was about 2 or maybe 3 weeks ago.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9118568

well, what do you know, body lotion. surely must be something in the formula. I have a bottle in the kitchen, I'll see what it can be. Thanks for the tip.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Keep Your Feline Frisky! Feed Them Fresh Garden Greens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cats will thank you! podster 11 Apr 30, 2012 9:56 AM
My Dolly loves her cat grass!! Sunflower1888 0 May 2, 2011 10:10 AM
Cats and greens dordee 0 May 3, 2011 3:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America