Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Caladiums?

Hobart, IN

Did anyone order Caladiums from Caladiums4Less? I did order some and Bill said he would be shipping to my area sometime in April but I haven't received anything yet. I know it's been colder than normal this year and maybe that's why I haven't seen my order yet but I was just wondering. First time I ordered from one of the classified ads.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I did order from him too, but dont expect anything until June. mine are going to zone4.

I've heard nothing but great things about him, his service and his bulbs... so i wouldnt be worried.

I recall something about -- he wont ship until he knows the temps are right for the bulbs .... has to be the ground temps, or the bulbs may not make it. I have found he was quick to reply to email -- if you just wanna drop him a note.

Terese

Hobart, IN

Terese - thanks for the reply. I did email him about two weeks ago, knowing I was going to be away for 5 days but I never heard anything back from him. That's what had me a little worried but knowing that you have had experience with this company does alleviate any concern. :)

Hobart, IN

Hmmm - still no order received. Never heard from Bill on my first email. Called 6/9 and left message but no call back. Called again today and left message since I couldn't get a live body on the phone. Also sent another email but no reply so far. I know he's cashed my check so don't know what gives. Since he does seem to respond to the Watchdog forum, maybe I should go there to ask where my order is. Not real happy at this point.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cindy... i emailed Bill about a week ago, and he stated my Email wound up in the spam folder - he shipped out right way and got my box last Friday. this is the email that his reply came from caladiumbulbs4less@earthlink.net

that is really weird that you have had no contact....

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh -- but yes... i would ask on their site thing on watch dog... i'm sure you will get a reply there.

Hobart, IN

I've been using the same email address. In fact, we emailed back and forth back when I placed the order. And I "replied" to the original email from Bill when I've been trying to contact him. But that doesn't explain why I'm not getting a live person to talk to or even a return phone call.

Hobart, IN

Still no response from this company. Left another message today (NEVER a live person) and sent another email, this time with no attachment just in case this is causing a problem with his mail. That doesn't explain why he can't return a phone call. And I did post on the Watchdog forum, giving him a neutral until the end of the week. Then it turns "negative". Since I sent a personal check, I'll now have to figure out how to get my money back.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cindy -- that is such a bummer. I never dealt with this company until this year, but heard great things about it. Hope you get it resolved.

Hobart, IN

After another try with email and phone, I've now given them a negative rating on Watchdog. First time I've ever done that. And the first really bad experience I've had with mail order in all of these years.

Hobart, IN

Just wanted you all to know that the day after I mailed a letter to Bill, a box arrived via priority mail, containing 20 'Kathleen' jumbo caladiums along with an apologetic note from Bill and a full refund. Per his letter, he's had some medical issues for the past month and would appear that the business wasn't being looked after as well as it should have been. Seems to me though that he should have a better way of tracking orders considering I put my order in back in January.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cindy -- I too put my order in in January.
I've never run a business -- but it seems these were being shipped by zone -- so technically, yours should have gone out before mine.... BUT -- I'm happy you got some bulbs.

I'm finding that squirrels have been digging in the one large whiskey barrel -- found one poor bulb out of the soil the other day [we do have thousands of squirrels in the park - I'm certainly not happy with them this year ] .... I do have some 'sprouts' in one pot... I just can't wait to see them unfurl.

Terese

Hobart, IN

I'm going to get mine into pots today. Luckily I have some premo potting soil and some empty pots (they've been waiting for the caladiums). I was going to attempt planting them in the ground but at the moment, I'm hard-pressed to find any vacant ground. I am disappointed that I didn't get any of the white varieties I had originally ordered or the double tuberose. I'm sure there's enough warm weather left in the season to get them up and growing.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

i got some caladiums from Fruitofthevine,just starting to fill the pot,now if I can keep them over winter ??? I need to find a spot to keep those and a few other things from freezing..

Hobart, IN

How long does it take for the caladiums to sprout once they're planted? I potted up half a dozen yesterday. I'm thinking I'll let mine go dormant for the winter to save on space. I have tried to over-winter store-bought plants but they were never very strong plants.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

out of all the ones i planted a week or so ago, i have one pot -- it's the smallest of the pots, i have 3 sprouts. think there is only 3 bulbs - so good sign
critters have been digging in two of the pots. hope no bulbs were stolen. but i did see growth in the one pot this morning.

i think i was reading something about 65degrees... maybe the larger pots have not gotten that warm yet.

**shrugs** i have no idea -- first yr with them.

Hobart, IN

I did read that it's a good thing to put the bulbs in the refrigerator for a week or two before planting. I'm assuming that since there wasn't any new growth on the bulbs I received that they were probably being kept cool to inhibit growth. And I think it's going to be warmer than 65 this week (for a nice change) - pushing near 100 by Friday.

what I meant was ,how to keep them after I dig them up for winter,keep them at what temp keep from freezing,have never had much luck trying to store freezable bulbs or tubers.I have dahlias this year too

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I've read to store them in the basement. they dont like getting cold. again - something about 65degrees.
there is plenty of info if you google... i know i did when i first ordered this past winter. I plan to try to save some of them too -- save on my plant expenses for next year.

something about digging them up, letting them dry, then storing them -- i'm thinking pine shavings if i can find some. but i will again research it when it comes to digging later in the season.

Hobart, IN

Good info. I'll have to do some searching. I'm wondering, when it's time in the fall to bring them in for storage, if they'd be treated like cannas - letting the first frost kill off the foliage before digging them up for storage.

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

I dug up and stored some caladiums last fall. Brushed off the dirt, let them dry and put them in a tray in the cool basement with a bit of dry sphagnum moss. They were coming back nicely this spring in pots until I made the mistake of planting them before the ground had warmed up enough. Only one survived. Next time I will leave them in their little pots much longer. They do take several weeks to develop leaves. I would pot them up a good 3 months before you want to set them outside.

Hobart, IN

Getting them started early was my original plan but things didn't work out that way.
Did you somehow let the foliage die back before digging them up?

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

I did. I think it happened before we had a hard freeze. They don't like cold weather at all (as I found when I planted too early this spring!). So the foliage will die back sometime in October.

Hobart, IN

Good to know. Thanks so much for the advice!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

goldenberry -- thanks for that info.

good info,thanks

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Cindy -- were you happy with your bulbs ??

mine really look nice -- took some time for them all to fill out - Mid-July i think, but i'm quite pleased... i get a lot of "lookers" at my gardens.

Terese

Hobart, IN

I ended up planting them all in pots. Kinda sad though that I had so many of only one variety. They are growing well but then I had so many that they're really crammed into pots so the pots are practically bursting with leaves and flowers. Never did get any in the ground but I can use the pots to fill in the now-sparse spaces in the beds.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I got some this year also - but I bought them from Lowes. They have been in pots in full sun and are about 1.5 INCHES tall...disappointment for sure. Can I just bring them in and have them as a house plant? I am in MN.
Thanks

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If they've been exposed to any cool temperatures outside they won't do well in the home. Anything you've experienced outside (night or day) under 60 isn't caladium friendly.

Mine from Bill (Caladiums4Less) did very well this year but they were off to a slow start with our cool spring weather this year as opposed to the early hot spring last year.

Thumbnail by pirl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

pirl -- we've had a few COLD nights -- they got all limpy -- then i brought them in for a few days, and most perked back up again.... i knew we had better weather coming... i've cut a few back ... but heck -- some still look pretty good.

I'm going to try to save the bulbs for next season... I was very happy with the bulbs I got from Bill.

terese

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

eek, it's hard to believe that very soon it will be time to lift the caladiums, brush off the dirt and store them for the winter. Next spring I won't make the mistake of setting them out too early. Also have to find a way of marking the color of the leaves, maybe photographing and printing the photo to store with the bulb.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I took quite a bit of pics this summer... gonna add text to my images, and write the names on the bag, including height. that is my plan anyways....

how do you store yours?

Hobart, IN

Getting ready to lift my Caladiums. They are looking a little tired by now but they still have viable leaves. Guessing I'm going to have to let the leaves dry up after lifting and then snip them off? Does anyone dust their tubers with an antifungicide?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH Uggg, i just remembered that mine are out back, supposedly drying -- and it's been raining the past day. *sigh* well, hopefully some mud was washed off.

OH Cindy -- I did find some of mine were already rotted in the pots. maybe a total of 5-8 of them. but i did get a lot of them ... I'm thinking of shaved Pine to store them... i will have to look into it more.

Hobart, IN

I was reading up on that yesterday and the article mentioned peat moss or vermiculite. I didn't do a lot of research on Caladiums back in the spring but from what I'm reading, it's not unusual for the tubers to be smaller. Gosh, guess they'll just get smaller each year. I wasn't thinking of treating them like annuals and getting new ones each year. I was hoping to lift them today but it's been drizzling this morning. Maybe a break in the weather later this afternoon will get me out there to do that chore. I've got 5 pots of them.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm hoping mine dont rot with all the rain we've had the past 2-3 days.
and I hear ya on the 'annuals' thing...

Hobart, IN

Hmmm - don't think I'd spend the money to treat them like annuals. I had given some to a friend and she took her's indoors to winter over. I wonder if the tubers would fair any better regarding the diminishing size.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I did read about over wintering them... it's said they do OK in pots indoors, but will die back in the fall, just like they do outside... it's like the bulb needs to 'rest' - but it will regrow. When i get back from my winter travels, I'm gonna get some of the smaller ones started in pots - to give them a jump on summer... Or that is the plan anyways....

Hobart, IN

Because I got mine early summer, they shot up like gangbusters once I got them in pots. I'll probably let mine rest until late winter/early spring before repotting them. Never did get outdoors yesterday to lift them but definitely on the "to-do" list for tomorrow since it looks like we're in for some pretty chilly nights next week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.