Photo by Melody

Cannas: Do these Cannas look like they have the virus?

Communities > Forums > Cannas
bookmark
Forum: CannasReplies: 88, Views: 804
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
1:00 AM

Post #8525545

I purchased 8 Canna rhizomes, two bags of Scarlet Wave and 2 bags of Maudie Malcolm (2 in each bag) from a nursery in my area back in early March. I potted them up to get an early start and then when they started to sprout and unfurl, I noticed the leaves looked suspiciously iffy.

Can someone please tell me if I should just trash these or am I jumping the gun?

I'll post a few pics.

Thanks,
Toni

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 2:03 AM

Thumbnail by toni5735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
1:02 AM

Post #8525547

This is Scarlet Wave.

Thumbnail by toni5735

toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
1:05 AM

Post #8525548

This is Maudie Malcolm.

Thumbnail by toni5735

toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8525549

Another Scarlet Wave.

Thumbnail by toni5735

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8526411

most definitely
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8526430

Abutilon, say it ain't so! I hate killing plants.

I wonder if the nursery would give me my money back if I hauled these over there and showed them. I spent almost 30 dollars if you figure in tax.

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8527556

I am sorry to tell you that.
You should take them back and ask a refund.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8530134

Toni,
If they were the prepackaged ones (available from just about any store's gardening section) almost all of the ones I've planted have looked exactly like that. I tossed them all to save the rest.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8530537

Hi MerryMary, I'm so disappointed with this as they are growing away and I know I have to dump them. These were prepackaged rhizomes and I started them in the house.

I don't know if I should go to the nursery and ask for a refund or just eat the cost. I shop there every year for plants that can't be found at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. My husband is adament that we haul the pots over there and show them the virused cannas and ask for a refund or store credit. I'm a chicken and don't want to cause trouble or be told to "get lost".

Any opinions on what would be the right thing to do?

Toni
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8531436

It's not the nursery. It's whoever is supplying those cannas dumping them on unsuspecting people.
I cannot believe some suppliers are still doing that knowing cannas like that will infect any healthy ones you may have.
If you have clean healthy cannas, you will learn a hard lesson to plant those among them.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8531506

I plan on calling the nursery to state my case and see what their policy is regarding diseased plant merchandise.

I used to grow a tall red flowered canna with burgundy leaves long ago and dug up and stored the rhizomes every year. I gave it up after having boxes and boxes of canna rhizomes that I didn't know what to do with. This was my first purchase of new cannas in many years; looks like it will be my last.
slsharris
Norristown, PA

April 30, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8531510

A business is only as good as their reputation. Maybe they did not produce the cannas, but they are distributing them and thereby, unwittingly making a profit off of diseased plants. If they are indeed, reputable, they would want to know about this, especially if they advertise themselves as purveyors of specialty/quality plants that you can't get at the big box stores.

Sharon
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8531880

If there are more of them at the store, I'd look at the packaging and see who is supplying them to be packaged. The canna virus has been terrible, with large farms losing most. It's irresponsible for them to be selling bad goods. You may also want to contact your local Ag agency, just so they are aware that they are still being sold in your area. I've stopped buying any of the prepackaged ones, and only go with reputable dealers.
I also would recommend any time you buy canna, to start them in a large pot, so you can inspect their growth, before putting them in your garden.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8532401

Package states, "Grown from cultivated stock. Inspected by the United States, Canadian and Dutch Departments of Agriculture. Not for human consumption."

I have receipts from the nursery and on them it states, "No Returns/Exchanges on Live Goods. 14-Day Return on Non-Sale Items."

Also, each package cost $5.99 w 2 rhizomes in each. I bought 4 packages and out of that only 5 rhizomes were viable. The other three were black, shriveled up and dead. The packages were filled with peat so it was hard to even see what was in there. I basically picked by "feel".

This message was edited May 2, 2011 1:09 PM
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8535496

Pardon me, but being new to this virus thing... I have cannas here that came with my house. They are what I thought was HEALTHY ! They have been growing here I figure since the 1970's maybe earlier. Are those splotches in the photos the virus? Or is it the light streaking?
My cannas have NONE of those signs, but I need to know what to keep an eye out for. Thanks!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8535592

i'll take a stab at this but if i'm wrong someone correct me..

If you have yellowing of any kind on your leaf keep an eye on them..
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8535745

Lilyofthenight, those are real neon green/yellow stripes and splotches, not sunlight. I took some pics today in natural outside light. I'll post a few for your reference.

Thumbnail by toni5735

toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8535747

Another

Thumbnail by toni5735

toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8535751

One more

Thumbnail by toni5735

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8538588

What irritates me is that I know one of these was virused from first it went out. I was truly surprised to see it is still being distributed to unsuspecting buyers.
And like the person with the healthy cannas, it will spread to ruin all their cannas.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
10:37 PM

Post #8538594

Abutilon, I don't understand, do you mean that one of these varieties was diseased from the very beginning of it's introduction? If so, does that mean the growers consider the "virused" look of this particular cultivar to be it's "normal" look?
slsharris
Norristown, PA

May 4, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8539463

So -- being a newbie and wanting to plant cannas this year and hearing about this virus...WHERE can I go to get healthy plants/tubers?

Sharon
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8540105

I did not have the one when it first came out, but I did the the other.

Some knew about canna virus then because it was written in Cooke's book. Others like me who were new did not know it.

When I saw it and what it was doing, I learned as much as I could about it from experts who helped.
We isolated the clean cannas away from the diseased ones so I could work with both, and as I was done with the diseased ones, we destroyed them.

I was saddened to see Toni's post here.
It makes me angry that some of these same cannas diseased years ago are still being distributed by those who know they will cause grief where they go.
You cannot tell by the rhizomes. You have to already have them and growing them to see their leaves to see they are diseased.
But by that time they have probably already been in contact with any healthy cannas that gardener may have.

This message was edited May 4, 2011 7:08 PM
darkeyes1023
Hazelcrest, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8542194

i had some canna with the virus that i bought back in march. I was able to return them for a full refund. I'm glad i start everythings in pots or i would have been in trouble.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8542232

Hi darkeyes1023, I've been in contact with the nursery where I purchased these cannas and they have been cooperative and apparently removed and discarded their supply. Also, the grower was contacted by them and I am to expect a call.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8542422

I think its great when a nursery cares more about keeping healthy plants in stock over making money... If there were more like this, i think the cannas would be in better shape..
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8544083

Toni...Ty so much for the posts and pics. I am going to go take a look at my cannas right now to see how they are faring. Will report back with my findings. Thanks again!
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8544229

Ok... Here are a few pics. The leaves I am posting are all new leaves. ANY white splotching seen is residue leftover from a dust I put out on the cannas a couple weeks ago to deter the catepillars from munching all the leaves.
Let me know what ya'll think. I don't see ANY of the splotches as seen in the virused examples, but I do see streaking... But it looks normal to me. These are all cleopatra cannas.
Thanks. :)

Thumbnail by Lilyofthenight

Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8544231

Another...

Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8544233

One more...

Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8544237

Last pic...

toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8547051

Lilyofthenight, I am no expert on cannas and only posted here after first reading gardenpom's thread "Canna Question" and then seeing the first leaves emerge on my potted up cannas. They looked suspiciously like the pics on the web of diseased and virused canna. Hopefully, Abutilon will swing by and give you an expert opinion.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, your leaves look so much prettier than mine and the flower itself is beautiful.

Toni
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8547055

This is just an update regarding my dilemma with the cannas.

The nursery removed all stock from their shelves and then contacted the grower/supplier to advise them of the situation. I was asked to email pictures of all the leaves to the nursery manager and he in turn emailed them to the grower who positively identified canna virus and agreed to reimburse the nursery and the nursery reimbursed me. I also received a direct call from the grower/supplier and was told that canna virus was identified through tissue culture this year on some of their product after they had received it from the Netherlands and they were promised clean canna for next year. What will happen, who really knows? I don't think they expected anyone to notice or to be called on it b/c initially I was told by the nursery that I was the first one to complain about this. I told them that's b/c most people don't know about it and you can't tell from dry rhizomes. It was then that they agreed to play nice. All in all, the nursery was very helpful and took immediate action to rectify the situation. I got my money back and will continue to give them my business b/c they proved themselves to be honorable.

Thank you Abutilon and everyone else for all your advice and knowledge.

Toni
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8547545

Toni, Thanks for your input and keen eye. I am so glad that it all worked out for you. Seriously, I Have had a problem with a mail order nursery out of Illinois... My first time dealing with them and my last. I won't go into detail here because I would have to write a small book. Let's just say I am out almost 100 dollars and not a Happy Camper.
Happy Gardening to You. !
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8552257

When I did the Horn Co-op on here a few years ago (and you were able to go straight to their site and order with a DG code to get the discount) I can honestly say what I received should never had been shipped - I had over 6 beds of Canna's that were fine before I purchased over 100 rhizomes from them - I grew a lot in pots to get them started and they looked fine at first so I planted them in with my other beds - it was only while having a round up at my home that Tropicana said "Dee I hate to tell you this but your Canna's have Mosiac Virus" Upon closer inspection I could see they weren't what I thought as a stray varigation to the leaf but the virus.

Needless to say I destroyed all 6 beds knowing that not all canna's in a bed were infected - but just not wanting to take a chance it wasn't showing yet - overkill- perhaps (but because I grow a variety of gingers and elephant ears too I got rid of all Canna's - the virus is said to be able to cross over to them too)

I was truly devastated and sick to my stomach after having done all that hard work to only rip em out and destroy them...
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8552278

Wow i didnt know they could cross.. Good to know.. Sorry to hear about all yours, but yes i agree its better to be safe.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8552479

I am truly sick. I have a pot of cannas that the leaves look awful. Everyday I would see them but was too busy to take a better look. I finally slowed down and can see they have something wrong. I came across the virus online. I think I have another one also and it sickens me to think of throwing them away. I will probably be posting a few pictures of some I am not sure of.

Thanks for the heads up on this.
slsharris
Norristown, PA

May 10, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8552550

So -- as a newbie, I will ask again. What is a reliable source for cannas? I wanted to get at least a couple this year and I have no idea what to do! I've had them in the past, but didn't get them out of the ground in time, so I'm starting over.

Sharon
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8552560

I had only heard of dasheen mosaic on EE's in the past when I was told the mosaic from Canna's could affect other bulbous/rhizomous plants - so I'm passing along what I was told about the virus crossing over - hope it's correct...

I read with interest what Tony Avent posted on Plants Delights Nursery page regarding CMV - http://www.plantdelights.com/Canna-Lilies-for-the-Garden/products/499/

unbelievable that it costs 10K and up to do tissue replication to get rid of mosaic - and to do the entire market will take years...seems like a huge uphill battle...

Sandy - will look for your posted pics - perhaps it will be something else one of us can help you pinpoint!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8552568

ebayer Beloved 1 is a reliable source of amazing and healthy canna.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8552573

If you have patience and can transplant liners I would go with http://www.ag3inc.com/Plants.asp?ID=9 they tissue culture their canna's to ensure virus free
slsharris
Norristown, PA

May 10, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8552607

Thanks for the info about sources -- I'll do both. I can get the mature cannas for this year and try the liners in pots. I'd rather start out safe and not be sorry in the future!

Thanks!

Sharon
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8552708

Tissue culture cannot get rid of some of the viruses. Some cannas have not been able to be tissue cultured "clean".
Some also do not replicate well in tissue culture. Some old cannas we will unfortunately never see offered clean again.
It's been a tricky situation to get clean cannas available again, but several of us have been working to that direction, and it is getting there :)

Those still putting out virused cannas are not helping the clean growing effort.

Do the clean growers a favor .. refuse to buy virused cannas and let that seller know they should not be still offering them.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8552822

Abutilon sorry - forgot about your work in that area duh - pssst - Sharon - check out this site... http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

there you didn't toot your own horn...I did :)
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8553573

I will take some pictures in the next few days. How does one get a virus? Is is spread by an infected canna touching a healthy one? Does it stay in the ground? This particular one I am thinking of is in a pot. Should I get rid of the pot? I love cannas and hate to see this happening. Sorry for so many questions.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8554052

there is a lot of speculation that insects that suck on plants are carrying the disease like aphids etc...when you have time read the link above from Plants Delights - Tony's got a ton of info (skip down towards the bottom to get to the nitty gritty)
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8554134

I would get rid of all the dirt in the pot wash the pot very well with soap and water and maybe even wipe it down with bleach or even rubbing alcohol (to kill any bug that could be hiding out somewhere. the virus is from touching infected one weather its bugs, or your tools.. I'm not 100% if it stays in the dirt but why take that chance..
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8554242

For most of the virus, if you don't keep virused cannas around, then it is not there to spread to clean. CaYSV spreads very quickly and has been the most devastating to cannas in the last years.

A local grower not far from me has grown gorgeous clean President for many years. It is the only canna he has ever grown. He is far from everyone so never near any other cannas. I laughed when I was in his greenhouse he had aphids on his tomatoes right next to the cannas. An organic grower, he said he always has a few aphids on his tomatoes in spring. As he is far away and not exposed to virused cannas, I assume there is no virus in proximity to spread .. because if it was in his aphids tract, it should spread. So I now tease him about his pet aphids :P

Thank you, Sharon.
That is my old site, Sharon, I tried to take down because I cannot access to update. But they took the money out for the next increment, so it is still up ): I have been putting them on my Blog for now until I get that resolved: http://karcheskycannablog.blogspot.com

Virus spreads easily enough in live tissue. Touching, cutting, bugs, etc. and in live virused tissue left in the ground where a clean plant will be in contact.

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8554278

"Butterfly Brocade" is gorgeous Alice!!
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8554296

does the virus eventually kill them?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8554311

No just makes them grow funny, maybe not bloom and look like crap when they grow.. Some people have said they dont mind the streaking in the leaves and keep them anyways, and thats fine just dont share them or plant them around others cannas as the virus will spread.. I however say kill them all, lets get rid of it once and for all..
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8554326

http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/Canna-pests-and-diseases.html just read this and thought i would share
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8554332

this is my first year with cannas, now i am worried and am going to go check all of them. i would agree with killing the virused ones to stop the spread. also, if it makes them stop flowering then what would be the point of keeping nonflowering virused plants? i live in an isolated area, no close neighbors and no one gardens, so i dont think i could have unknowingly spread it, if i have it, could I? i just had my first one bloom yesterday so this is really disconcerting. maybe i dont even have it, but still upsetting to think people are profiting by selling diseased plants. well, better go look before getting upset. thanks
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8554338

sorry, just read the link that was just posted. one more question-the brown line at the end of the leaf is or is not part of the virus thing? looks like the healthly leaf also had it, just trying to be certain because i know some of mine have that brown on the edge. very thin but there.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8554617

the streaking will burn up in the sun. I have also read that in full sun the the streaking is worse and will burn up alot faster then healthy ones.. I would recommend if you add any canna to a collection pot it first and have it FAR away from other cannas, also have separate tools for those.. If possible even in a green house/room alone.. The healthy leaf is edged in red that may look brown but its red.. the healthy leaf is what you should be looking for as far as veins ectt.. not all will have red edges
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8554894

thank you. as far as i can tell i dodged the virus bullet but not going to buy any others just in case.
slsharris
Norristown, PA

May 11, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8556358

Abutilon/Alice -- looked at your current site (blog) and I get paid Friday -- going to see what I really, really want and what I can afford!

The other company that sells liners does have some labeled as Virus Indexed and Negative -- that is comforting.

Sharon
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8556431

I will be ordering next spring from you too.. Now that i'm moving over there i can get them shipped...
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8557728

Here is my pictures. I am positive it has the virus. It has a tag in the pot saying Tropicana Sunrise. There is a hibiscus coming back in the same pot so I pulled out what I could till I get the hibiscus transplanted. I hope my others have not gotten infected.

Thumbnail by ilovejesus99

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8557731

Another picture. I sure hat throwing plants away...:o(

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8557734

Another picture. I sure hate throwing plants away...:o(

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8557737

Whoops same picture.

toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8557842

ilovejesus99, I'm no expert on cannas but those leaves look like mine did. Please wait for someone with more experience to take a look and give their opinion.

My cannas went in the garbage today. :(

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8557867

Ok I will wait and see. Sorry yours had the virus. :o(
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8560019

Well, for what it's worth... Mine appear to be fine. And to think I was trying to get rid of these plants at one time, but they kept growing back even stronger. Now I am glad they did, because I highly doubt I would find any disease free ones easily unless I did mail order from some of the links here.
Good Luck everyone, with your cannas.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8564522

Mine is the 65th reply to this thread, but it has had 434 views ... lol
Thanks for starting this this post, Toni. And everyone elses' input, also.
It's been a good one :)))
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8565545

can anyone tell me if mine above have the virus?
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8568886

ilovejesus99, I cannot see the leaves well enough to tell.
If you take a leaf and hold up to the light so it shines through, you can usually see symptoms.
In a clean healthy canna leaf you should not have that.
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8568893

For what it's worth I am assuming mine are fine.I looked at pics from links everyone was kind enough to post and also from your own examples and compared them to the pics of my leaves. I rarely luck out like this so I am a happy gal.
For Those of you with virused ones... I feel your pain, best of luck replacing them.

Good grief had to edit for spelling.. Sorry it's an OCD thing...

This message was edited May 25, 2011 10:49 PM
slsharris
Norristown, PA

May 17, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8568935

You guys -- I'm sitting here after being in a doctor's office last night looking at Country magazine. I got to a picture of a garden with a container of cannas -- which look as if they had the virus despite a bloom stalk developing. Lots of flowers, lots of variety, and I zoom in on the cannas and diagnose!

S.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8571465

The Pink Beauty I've had in the past, has green leaves. I see them listed on a site, looking to be diseased, but the description for Pink Beauty states it's a variegated leaf. Has a newer one been developed or are they leading people to believe their diseased canna are now "variegated" canna??
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8572172

'Pink Beauty' should have solid green leaves.

If questions about how virus should look, google 'canna virus', virused cannas' and click on the images 'button'.
Not all the photos that will show virus, but many do to compare any symptoms you might see.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8573831

That's what I was under the assumption of...that nothing had been modified with Pink Beauty, and that it still has the same green solid leaves it always had. Which now makes me even more angry that a large well known company is selling virused canna as a variegated leaf, and spreading the disease.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8573911

I googled to see what it looks like (i dont have one, was just curious) and 3 sites have the same picture. I think they just use the picture they can find rather then taking one, and all 3 look to have the virus
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/cannas/60428
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/springbulbs/cannas/dwarfcannas/dwarfcannapink
http://www.naturegay.com/canna-dwarf-pink-beauty-spring-bulb
but then again since they are all the same picture who knows what there plants look like
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8574057

All of these websites have the same picture.
http://www.naturehills.com/product/canna_dwarf_pink_beauty.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Dwarf-Canna-Pink-Beauty-bulbs/dp/B004P9QTOI
http://www.kvbwholesale.com/store/cannas/60428?kvb=87tv1nfhic7e2rbcudlnd2h9e7
http://www.paradisegarden.com/shop/product.php?id=PGB2976&browse=1
http://www.yardlover.com/pink-beauty-dwarf-canna-lily

I was at a Lowe's store Sunday and they had some cannas in pkgs marked down 75%. As I stood in line I decided it was not worth the 2.00 to see if they had the virus and take a chance infecting the ones I have. It was a great price but not worth what it could cost in the long run.
Sad to see places passing off ones with virus as variegated.
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8575516

Good Grief! I am amazed how many companies are passing along that virused pink beauty. That's just outright sad.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8575836

They might not be.. I think the problem is they just put up a picture.. However having said that i wouldn't buy any of them just because of the picture..
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8576050

They all say bright green variegated foliage. As far as I know it is not variegated. Really sad if anyone buys these or any virused one eventually all cannas could be affected.
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8587664

Just bumping this thread to the top, because it's gone a bit without comment and I feel this is a VERY important Topic!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8588184

No only is the k. van bourgondien canna virused, someone i know ordered the Canna Stuttgart. We were going to do a trade. when shes got it they were all black, so she sent them to me to see if they could grow.. they had no white at all, just shrived black sticks, i guess would best decribe them.. all 3 roots in the package were like this.. I will never order from the big companies again for cannas, thats 3 times now they were black messes.. we have a few good sources here on daves and only they will from now on get my business.. People are better then a company, you can believe them and know they will do there best to keep clean cannas in there stock.. Big companies only care about the $$..
jen
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 26, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8588602

I dont mean to but into this thread but I just planted cannas in my yard that I bought in packages from walmart. I am afraid they will have this virus . I was wondering if I plant them from seed can they still carry the virus?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8588853

yep seeds can carry the virus also. Just keep an eye on them, if there streaky or spotted pull them out and burn them
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 27, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8590855

the cannas I got from walmart have the leaves now and they have yellow lines through them that almost look like veins, they are very pale green . Are the leaves of health ones then suppose to be darker green and no lines through them ? any good sorce out there for seeds?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8590987

what kind of seeds do you have or are they just called canna seeds..
here are a few pictures of canna's with virus'
http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/Canna-pests-and-diseases.html
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EuEHmHCIw1w/SpxFsPI3jWI/AAAAAAAADaw/T5DozPNIZf4/s1600-h/IMG_3784.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SYW7bwNW30c/R3O59tzRu_I/AAAAAAAAAS8/8JwychZFDDE/s1600-h/virus2.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SYW7bwNW30c/R3O7iNzRvAI/AAAAAAAAATE/Cm6HqLo1JLk/s1600-h/virus3.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SYW7bwNW30c/R3O9dtzRvDI/AAAAAAAAATc/tV9I_Wq7E5w/s1600-h/virus6.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SYW7bwNW30c/R3O-JtzRvEI/AAAAAAAAATk/FGaluCVgfcI/s1600-h/virus7.jpg

and a healthy green leaf
http://www.alabamaplants.com/Redalt/Canna_indica_page.html

hope this helps, and that yours are virus free

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8592053

Brought this from another thread to be seen here, also.

-------------------

Many have spent A LOT of time and effort trying to eradicate virus from an infected plant.
It is better to grow clean healthy plants, be ever watchful, and stay as far away from infected stock as possible.

Even Longwood Gardens seems to have gone the same route as we did.
There is some valuable information in the read here, also, that we can all learn more:
http://longwoodgardens.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/canna-we-sav...

--------------
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8592392

Very interesting read Alice, Thanks so much.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

May 31, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8598601

Interesting article. Good news that the problem is being worked on. Hopefully it will mean a re-birth of non-virused Cannas in the near future.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 31, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8598657

Thank you for posting the pictures mine do have the virus so I will pull them out . do I need replace the soil where they were growing? I dont have any canna seeds right now but I would like to start them from seed if I knew the seed was from non virused cannas. But I dont know a good source to buy from.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8598753

They don't have seeds but Brent and Becky's Bulbs have non virused cannas. Their website says that and they don't have a really big selection like they use to because of the virus.

I have some tall orange ones I would trade if anyone is interested.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cannas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Canna You Help? scooterbug 5 Sep 2, 2008 5:48 PM
Tropicanna Canna is sick Kell 49 May 2, 2012 9:10 PM
Resources thread - your feedback, please Terry 9 Jun 1, 2013 10:58 AM
the way i do my canna seeds phicks 14 May 22, 2007 11:09 PM
The ugly cannas bwilliams 60 Nov 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America