Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Honor Earth Day With a Family Hike: Best memories

Communities > Forums > Article: Honor Earth Day With a Family Hike
bookmark
Forum: Article: Honor Earth Day With a Family HikeReplies: 1, Views: 1
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

April 28, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8525658

My mom was a great hiker, although she didn't follow the "rules" about fanny packs, shoes, and such but hiked with a bit of giddy abandon.
She liked to hike and rock climb barefoot, as she had when she was a child, so often only carried a pair of slip on shoes in case the trail became a bit muddy.
If we carried anything to eat, it was an apple.
When we came across water, she was the first one to get wet and encourage me to do the same.
If she saw an animal, we all crouched down to watch it.
I passed the hiking gene on to my daughter and she takes the same pleasure from hiking no matter where she is. Some of her best hiking memories are of Spain, Ukraine, Russia, and other locations she has visited.
Those memories (and photos, too) beat the heck out of hauling tourist junk home!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8525767

What great memories, what a fun inspiring mom!
Thanks for your story.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Honor Earth Day With a Family Hike Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A nice idea Sharran 1 Apr 22, 2008 11:46 PM
Wonderful Family outing. Seedtosser1 1 Apr 22, 2008 11:46 PM
I remember hiking in Maryland Too! plantswapper 1 May 3, 2008 11:57 AM
Honor Earth Day with a Family Hike Sunnyasalark 2 Mar 7, 2009 2:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America