Photo by Melody

Dianthus: do pests eat dianthus seeds/seedlings?

Communities > Forums > Dianthus
bookmark
Forum: DianthusReplies: 2, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jxmas
Marble Hill, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8525720

I've sown lots of dianthus seeds in my garden and they never seem to germinate (with the sole exception being Sweet William Dianthus barbatus)

I know that slugs munch on my marigolds seedlings so I was wondering if something was munching on my dianthus
Michael_Ronayne
Nutley, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8526375

Jxmas,

I have been germinating Carnations, Siberian Blues and Sweet William seeds in large pots and donít appear to have problems other than too many seedlings. I had been purchasing large ornamental pots from Lows for about $8.00 but have now taken to buying large used commercial ports from my local garden center for $2.00 or less. I am finding that by using pots it is easier to inspect the seedlings.

I have not observed any seed predation on Dianthus. Last summer I neglected to make arrangements to have my garden watered while on vacation and thought I lost one pot of seedlings. A month later, the Dianthus made a comeback, survived the winter should be blooming in 4 to 6 weeks.

Why donít you try the following experiment? Everyone at DG has an extra large pot or two lying about. Using out of the bag potting soil, try growing Dianthus in a pot and in the garden. If the pot works you probably have something in your garden which likes Dianthus seeds or seedlings.

Here are some of my pots with Dianthus seedlings:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8517186

Mike

jxmas
Marble Hill, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8528279

that's a good idea -- thanks
I'll let you know how it turns out

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dianthus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
the Dianthus are Blooming! Weezingreens 20 Aug 25, 2008 2:26 AM
Dividing Dianthus 2zeus 19 Mar 5, 2007 3:08 PM
Dianthus at HD FLStu 13 Apr 18, 2007 10:29 PM
Dainty Dianthus Shirley1md 16 Jun 25, 2007 1:14 AM
Need dianthus for a very sunny bed silverfluter 22 Oct 22, 2010 8:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America