Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Euphorbia "Flowers," an introduction to the amazing Cyathia: Got me keen to learn some more!

Communities > Forums > Article: Euphorbia "Flowers," an introduction to the amazing Cyathia
bookmark
Forum: Article: Euphorbia "Flowers," an introduction to the amazing CyathiaReplies: 2, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8525779

After glimpsing trough your article I realized that I still had no clue how this "naming-thing" works so it was off to Wiki for some more background reading! I now have a vague understanding of the taxonomy structure. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain so much details - and to tickle someones' curiosity in the process! I still haven't quite digested the significance of the amazing array of reproductive 'machinery', the Euphorbias are armed with. They are a tremendously resilient and productive crowd though, as you have no doubt discovered while hosting them in your garden in perfect growing conditions. I had a run-in with a "Spurge" ( the feathery-leaved, bright-green-flowering plant), something i had picked up at a plant sale, so it came without "instructions". well foolish me for not doing my homework before planting it ! This particular types' survival method is packed into its roots which go tunneling at amazing speed and pop up new shoots at quite a radius all over the place. Picture new plants from them, followed by its root systems and you have the picture. The creeping juniper dozing away peacefully would have been covered in no time. But I'm get side-tracked. Loved your article and need to learn more about the proper naming and taxonomy of plants. Can you, or anyone else for that matter suggest some bedtime reading matter on the subject?
Thanks, Sabine

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8526025

Taxonomy can be pretty dry, and sadly there do not seem to be any good comprehensive Euphorbia texts (too large a subject, perhaps?). There is a good journal called Euphorbia, but it is pretty old and am not sure there are still issues being published. Kind of expensive, too... but an excellent source of Euphorbia info. I have not grown spurge here much but I see it in other gardens and it does tend to run amok... My last article I wrote was on invasive succulents in my garden and I do have a few minor invaders... but I got a lot of feedback about spurge and it seems you are not alone in discovering its invasiveness.
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8536441

Thanks for the feed-back! We are having a late start in the garden here in Ontario! Too much rain and low temperatures. The tulips are edging towards opening their flowers - its probably hard for you to imagine down there in California!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Euphorbia "Flowers," an introduction to the amazing Cyathia Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you katiebear 0 Apr 22, 2011 7:44 AM
Diagram wannadanc 1 Apr 22, 2011 11:41 PM
your articles LAGardengirl 0 Apr 25, 2011 1:06 PM
Thank you! pachypodium 0 Apr 25, 2011 5:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America